Sub 3h15

Comments

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Take care Bike it, and best wishes for you and your family,

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Hope Slokeys going well.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Sincere best wishes, Bike It  . . . . .

• parkrun 18:27 for a 21 second course PB. legs felt awfully heavy and body lethargic as I ran 3 miles to the park and I fell into 6th place and was about to accept it when the legs picked up so chased for a while and got up to second, then fell back to fourth but again had a burst of speed so pulled back to 2nd and 3rd (1st was off and way long ago) and ended up pushing second round as fourth fell away.

Chatted with fourth afterwards and he did 13 last Sunday and 8 on Thursday so said his legs were heavy:  I didn't have the heart to say I'd done 20, 17 and 12.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - I tried a pair of sayonaras the other day but couldnt' stomach the price tag! Sticking with kinvaras for now.  How do you find them?

Bike It - Tell us about the fence!

Minni - Hope you have a grand day out at London whatever you decide to do!

Abbers - I don't know if ever becomes a known adversary. You start with a different version of yourself each time

TR wrote (see)

Marrows- i think you were describing the early campaign long runs not race day. DO you do any MP runs in training and if so how far ?

Ant - you can borrow my singlet if it helps.

TR - no, I meant that when I have run marathon races, it hasn't really hurt.  I've been doing P&D 55-70.  here's my review of trainig since january (cut n paste sorry)

marrows wrote (see)

time to look back at training since January:

1. no real injury (achilles not perfect but under control)
    2. no illness
    3. avg 58MPW or 64MPW excluding a week's holiday
    4. 6 runs of 20+ miles (one race, one with 10 @ 7:15, two death marches, two at 8:xx).  A few 15-20 milers including one 17 with 12 @ 7:06.
    5. hit the paces for the marathon pace/LT/VO2 sessions, but only managed that by doing other runs too slow.
    6. 2:15 20 mile race (semi-tapered, carb loaded) and 19:5x parkrun, from either of which mcmillan predicts 3:14:xx.  10.8 miles not-quite-raced @ 7:00.  A couple of meaningless 10Ks on slow courses. No half-marathons.

Basically I feel solid, not quite 3:10-solid, maybe 3:15-solid.  Anyone want to propose a race plan? I have a couple of friends going for 3:15 off the same start (green) and it might be nice to run with them - but a little part of me still wants to have a stab at my original target of 3:10.

(you can revise that parkrun time to 19:41 as of this morning image)

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

how very magnanimous PMJ image

• marrows wrote (see)

how very magnanimous PMJ image

It's all a bit of fun, he was faster over shorter distances than I (probably distorted as he did 18:34 on the slow course and I did 18;27 today on the fast course) and younger but I have him over longer distances so he did 1:29 for his raced half).

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

marrows - was going to comment on the "pain" thing, but just seen your post above; these are my thoughts (only my opinion, of course)
    Points 3,4, & particularly 6 suggest forgetting your pals and running your own race
    2:15 for 20 is 6:45 pace, and (again, only my experience, but relevant I would say) this puts you in the 3 hour ballpark, let alone 3:10. You could slow to 7 min miling for the last 10K, and come home under 3 hours. Honestly, you could do it - I knew if I went through 20 around 2:15 that sub-3 was on. I accept that your 2:15 didn't have another 10K tacked on, but fully tapered, you never know.  What if you're not this fit again?   Of course, this strategy might lead you into the "pain" question - in my experience this used to be the feeling that someone was whacking my quads with an invisible rolling pin during the journey along the Embankment and down Birdcage.  Best of luck whatever you decide, but you can always run with your mates another time  . . . . .

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Crumbs oops I meant 2:25 not 2:15!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear things have been a bit tough, BikeIt.  Take it easy.

Marrows: nice training.  I'd say you're good for 3.10.

6M recovery run at a plodtastic 8.53m/m last night (that's what racing 18M inside a week does to me!) and then a fractionally more sprightly 10M this morning (still only 8.21m/m, but I'm happy to blame the hills for that).  Off for a Mozart Requiem rehearsal and concert this afternoon, but should drag myself around the supermarket first.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

marrows - "Crumbs oops I meant 2:25 not 2:15"  - ah ! image 
    in that case, I agree with Jools  . . .
    speaking of whom - great midweek racing there  . . .
    MsE - great pic, but smiling (!) - were you trying hard enough? image 
    Gul - top effort this morn . . . 

10.5 steady here, just a week to Manc Mara - hope I don't need a requiem afterwards  . . 

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Been lurking a bit over the past week trying to catch up on all of the ups and downs of training and tapers.  I've been a little too relaxed about VLM this year but now starting to struggle mentally with targets and pacing for race day (but reading Birch's post at the bottom of the previous page may have helped a bit).

Hope things improve Bike-It.

Gul - Excellent sub-40 run.  Am I right you ran it alone?  If so that is brilliant.

Initially I set out in November/December to get some easy base mileage in before starting to think about the training.  I've followed a similar pattern to 2012 when I ran 2.49.44 but have added in some more mileage and a double run day.  My recent MP runs have come out around the 6.16-6.20 pace, which is around the 2.45-2.47 mark.  My dilemma is that I want a new PB, but may never get the chance to shoot for 2.45.  At present I am very confident of being able to run a new PB, but not confident that I could keep going at 6.16 pace for 26.2miles.

Last longish run complete today of 16m with 8m at MP (again came in at 6.16 pace but very tough). 

The joys of marathon training!!!

Enjoy the sun image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Bike it - thats a lot of bad news there. Best wishes.

Marrows - I knew what you meant, I was trying to imply that I bet you are not running your marathons hard enough.

• Martin flying there so I will be staying well clear of you this year. You need to make a clear decision in your mind and then stick to it, and the choice is to take a safe PB or shoot for 2:45 and know it may not come off. 2:45 really means going through half in something close to 1:21 and my gut feeling is that is too fast for you. In your shoes I'd put 2:45 aside for a coming year and try to get down to 2:46 / 2:47. You are young and 2:45 is still possible and your tone seems to indicate that a PB will do fine so improve your PB so next time 2:45 is forced onto you.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Bike it - I was only thinking the other day that it had been a while since you popped in. That's very tough going but you are tough so you will come through it image! Hope things turnaround for you soonest. Take care.

Gul - Two things, 1. I knew you would do it & 2. Like PMJ said, to run sub 40 solo and not under race conditions is hard! I don't think I could manage it. Shows how fit you are at the moment and also mentally strong! You should be very pleased with yourself, I would be!

MsE - You look like you are modelling that groovy running gear you are running in not racing a trail half in 97 mins!!!. You're obviously one of the lucky few that are photogenic when running! You have timed your return to come back to the UK very well. It's definitely Spring now and will help ease you and your family back into things nicely.

Might venture out later for a jog to test the foot & leg.

• Great link from marathon talk for epic treadie failures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNPhVVjnoC0

Listened to the nutrition advice and it is the old "humans evolved for thousands of years eating meat and nuts and fruits, we don't need pasta and other carbs" crap: we evolved for thousands of years not wearing running shoes but you don't see any fast barefoot runners. last we heard of that was Zola Budd and even she wears shoes now.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/Zola-Budd_image_lowres-232x300.jpg

• In the spirit of keeping the intensity but dropping the volume I decided to do a parkrun this morning. I rather wanted to do one on a sensible, fast course, but logistics prevailed. I ended up at Forest Rec, which is two laps involving a great big, double peaked, hill, with cobblestones on each peak, and a section on grass, all of which must be done twice of course. 

I broke my previous parkrun PB with ease, although nowhere near my actual 5k PB. 19.21 compared to a previous best on the course of 19.41 (achieved one week before my current actual PB of 18.55 last summer).

Most of the way round I was following a triathlete. Why is it that they like to advertise their triathlete status? Anyway, he was clearly working harder than I was on the hills, but was a bit less inhibited running down the other side. However I stuck behind him on the last downhill then took off along the straight road to the finish to beat him by 8 seconds. I don't think he was too pleased, but he did congratulate me, in a slightly insulting way it seemed to me. 'Well done lady'. As if being a 'lady' made me some sort of pariah!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

PMJ - It also suggests that they think humans stopped evolving at the point when they started eating carbs, which has been a while now.

Best wishes to Bike It from me too. I'm sure most if not all of us can empathise with the need to have a focus (e.g. running). I just saw on facebook an obsessive runner friend of mine who isn't well enough to run at the moment has just posted a picture of her shiny new guitar...

Parkrun for me today in lieu of P&D tune-up race, and a massive PB of 18:37. image

Edit: x-post with Speedy - should have joined me at Rushcliffe. But then I wouldn't have been first female.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    ((BikeiIt)) sorry to hear all that, but clearly the right decision over Comrades at least. It will keep. Good luck all round.

MsE - from wrong trousers to podium & "modelling groovy kit", shows how determined you have been.

Gul - nice race, remember we are all waiting for you to PBS by at least 3hrs

Martin - is the fairy coming out again?

I'm thankfully back in blighty, came via Saudi on a plane full of pilgrims, one of whom insisted on showing me endless pics involving the ritual slaughter of goats (before, during, after)...but didn't bat a eyelid when my vegetarian meal arrived. A bit jet lagged but it was down to Tonbridge for parkrun this morning - quite flat and feels like it could be a fairly fast course. It was a bit of a struggle but 19.04 was OK under the circs and even an OG50 course record.

Minni, GM, anyone with niggles - just keep the faith
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Xpost Literatin - that's a tasty run
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - Well done with your parkrun. I bet the tri guy wished he had brought his bicycle. image

Lit - That's very quick, well done. Next distance PB is the marathon and then 10k in the summertime!!! You are on fire at the moment.

Jools will be popping in next to inform us that she has just run sub 2 for the 800m!

Cant' beat a good old blast of speed, 5k's rock! There is talk of parkruns being organised here in Jersey! I know what I will be doing most Saturday mornings!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - I recall reading somewhere that Zola ran a age cat course record for a marathon in the USA recently. Can't remember her time but it was sub 3. What age is she now?

• Speedy / Lit - Excellent Parkrunning, erm, ladies. Are you doing to do one next week as well, or is that it for the fast stuff? Good work from a jet-lagged Poacher, too.

Gul - That is just a fantastic effort.

What are the VLMers doing tomorrow? I'm planning 16, with 5-8 @ MP, if the leg feels all right.

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Most of the way round I was following a triathlete. Why is it that they like to advertise their triathlete status?

Yes, they do, don't they? They always have on that onesie they wear, as if they've just come out of the water like Sean Connery in Thunderball. I'm afraid I don't Hold With It.

• 18 slow for me tomorrow Ant. And no, that's not the end of the fast stuff. Intervals on Tuesday, only probably only 3 x 1 mile, and the National Road Relays next Saturday. Keep up the intensity!

• I would do the same but I've just got to be a little bit careful with this leg. I'll probably do some mile reps on Thursday. What pace are you planning to do yours at, if you don't mind giving away all your secrets? 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Aiming to do 27 tomorrow, very slowly
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm probably doing the mile reps from the P&D plan too. It says to do them at 5k pace. Bugger.

• Yeah, 5k pace was what I had in mind. I imagine my coach will suggest a bit slower though. When he replies to my email I'll let you know!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Maybe I will do mine at what used to be 5k pace...

• literatin wrote (see)

Parkrun for me today in lieu of P&D tune-up race, and a massive PB of 18:37. image

Scorching. I am glad VLM is just 2 weeks away because you were only 10 seconds slower than me today and if it were much more than 2 weeks away I;d be chasing you home.

Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ - I recall reading somewhere that Zola ran a age cat course record for a marathon in the USA recently. Can't remember her time but it was sub 3. What age is she now?

According to http://www.all-athletics.com/node/143146 she has a PR of 2:55:39 which at 47 is way off any age record. 

According to http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records/byEvent.asp?division=american&location=road&age=masters&distance=42.195&distanceUnits=km&distanceType=run 45-49 women's record is 2:30:51