Sub 3h15

Comments

• Next week is a big cutback for me. Will race a mile on Friday so the 3xmile repeats won't get done and I'll do the 13 early in the week. May do parkrun.

• Holy sh*t, I've just realised that my brother has my VLM registration form, and will be away on holiday when I go over there!! So he has to send it to me - registered post, preferably.

I had a mild panic attack, honestly...image

• Parkrun frenzy this monring - congrats to Lit and Speedy on the PBs and to PMJ for the course PB. Was your 19.41 a PB Marrows?

Standout performance from Gul for the solo sub-40 PB.

Best wishes to Bike It - sounds as though it's been a tough period; hope you get through it OK. 

Marrows - so far so good on the Sayonaras. They don't yet feel as comfortable as the old Elixirs but I'm hoping they will do once I've worn them in. I get 10% off as a member of the local running club and I had a voucher for a further £20 off, so the price tag was a tad easier to swallow. Are you going to join the sub 3:10 train departing at 10.00 from the Green start?

My plan had me down for 18 miles at MP + 20-30s so I aimed for 7:30 average, but running without the Garmin (which is now finally back from the menders) I tried to let my body judge it. 

Pretty pleased to come out with an average pace of 7:21 which certainly makes me believe that setting off a 7:10 pace and trying to hold on to it as far as possible along the Embankment is doable. 

Finished up by shuttling younger Lorenzito over to Chelmsford for an inter-counties XC race in which Surrey triumphed in his age group. Happy days all round.

Got to dash as younger Lorenzito is in charge of the Mothers Day meal tonight (chicken and peanut curry) with elder Lorenzito knocking up some sort of sea bass concoction tomorrow evening. image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

you are nice and fit then Martin, good stuff. I would say that you need to keep an open mind and react to how it feels on the day (it could be a sweltering day/they could be a bit off colour/they could be set for a day better than they ever dreamed of). Lots of folks seem to burn a lot of mental matches regarding specific paces and strategies, but who knows exactly how they are going to run until the day comes round and you get a few miles in. Having said that most folks should know roughly where they should end up. if you have run ~10M at a certain pace somewhere in your training and felt that you might have squeezed out another couple, then you are somewhere around where you need to be. You know what MP should feel like,.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Scorching. I am glad VLM is just 2 weeks away because you were only 10 seconds slower than me today and if it were much more than 2 weeks away I;d be chasing you home.

Could be worse - at least I've got a nice bum.

• literatin wrote (see)

I've got a nice bum.

Lorenzo! That's our race plan sortedimage

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Crossed wires there re ZB, What I meant was that I read somewhere that she ran a course age category record recently. It wasn't the 2:55 one. I think she won the women's race, I recall it was meant to be training run and she went sub 3.. She's down for the Two Oceans and Comrades this year. Her debut at Comrades was 8:05 in 2012 and she ran with Fordyce. If she's fit she could co sub 7:30 I reckon which would be impressive. Very nifty parkrun as well today given the big mileage in your legs.

Lorenzo - That 18 miler must have been a real confidence booster, although I reckon if you want & Ant to keep Lit's "nice bum" in sight you will both have to get your skates on!

Had to work today so no run again, 6 days of no running. Tomorrow will be carnage I reckon.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Literatin - photo evidence must be provided before we can approve that claim !

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Marrows - if I make it to the start line my plan will be to go off at 7:20, which will give around 3:12, if you want company. I'm quite old though and it may be like running with your mother......

Great parkruns today folks.

All these fast runs and pbs make me even more worried about my own ability right now.

Took Thur and Fri off then did a double today - 4 this morning around 8:20 then another 4 this evening avg 7:18 but the last mile was 6:55. Nothing feels any worse for it. Tomorrow I will have to go long and that might be the final decider...

GM - I think it was you that said about making the most of my London place? I've had a London entry every year since 2003 and have a GFA secured for next year!
  • Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    PMJ/TR - you both make sense. My 10m @ MP came out at 6.16 pace and could have done more. The only reason I'm wasting mental energy is that I'm bang on the cusp. Will see how it goes on the day (as I did when I pb'd back in 2012).

No fairy this year. I couldn't find the same wings as in previous years so have decided to take it serious and just paint myself purple!!!

Well done to the speedy parkrunners this morning. Some good tuning up going on.
  • Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    X-post. Minni they are two good runs to get under your belt. Tough decision but you are experienced enough to know your body and know what is right.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Minni - That is an impressive streak. No what I said was, it is the highlight of the running calendar year and that you wouldn't want to miss it for the world. I wouldn't worry about your ability as you have proven you can do it when it counts. You have got the endurance and I am sure you will run a great time. This year what with Mo running etc I think it will be a cracker. Good luck for your long run tomorrow.image

Does anyone know what GFA for a 40 male is and when would one have to post a qualifying time for next VLM?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Quick update: ecotrail Paris 80K est finit!! Great success . I was obviously fretting about my Jantastic commitments and had predicted 7:59. Course was much much hillier ( in an almost sadistic kind of way that I suspect only the French can pull off) and I put the hammer down for the last 12k with an impressive sprint finish to come in in 8:06 ( unofficial time ) very pleased but my body is a bit hammered - I even have foot piccies to delight you all when I get home.

Top tip. Do more mileage not less for an ultra campaign image 

• Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

I've got a nice bum.

Lorenzo! That's our race plan sortedimage

Perfect. And with Marrows and Minni there as well, I don't see how we can go wrong.

TR wrote (see)

Literatin - photo evidence must be provided before we can approve that claim !

You clearly ran too fast at Gosport last year. No extra evidence needed by me!!

SJ - magnifique!!! Er, looking forward to the piccies.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Speedy/literatin - nice 5ks.

Gul - well done on the sub 40 10k.

Slokey-80K is in a different league to use mara fun runners ,well done.

Omagh 1/2 mara for me today and a finish time of 1:27:52 for a 2 minute pb from last septemeber so pleased enough with that, saw Badbarks name in the list and he posted a good time, couldn't spot him at the finish though.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Well done, sounds rough that! Check out this, I think you would like it in a masochistic way! http://www.roundtherock.co.uk/

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Bike It - sorry to hear you are going through it at the moment. Hopefully you can get some order back and also get that leg fixed (maybe I'll bump into you at the Drummond Clinic on Physios table)

Martin - If I had pitched my training at the right level and the training log spoke the truth, I was in good health, and the conditions on the day were favourable, then why not go for it. Everyones outlook is different, and I'd accept an epic fail if it didn't come off. Its a ridiculous sport - months of training for 1 race! Don't listen to PMJ - he wants you to pace him to a sub 2:50 image

Marrows - I kind of get you on the pain thing. I think of  reps, 5ks, 10ks = pain. Marathons for me are more like wading through mud, followed by losing the will to live.

First run out today since last Sunday. Not brilliant but things are holding together well enough to attempt double figures tomorrow.

Good set of parkruns and solo 10k's today

• SJ, solid run there. My mind hurts thinking about 80k and 8 hours. Be sure to enjoy the rewards France offers.

Lit, as TR says ...

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

I seem to remember Lit also saying that she wears very small elastic shorts.  I own a pair similar but do not wear them so often since someone said that they 'look like they are supposed to be some kind of sexy-shorts'

Lorenzo - we have raced over 10km and you beat me by at least 90 seconds.  Running together at VLM would be a bad plan for at least one of us! Thanks for the shoe review. Yes the parkrun today was a PB but not by much. I want to have another go next weekend!

Minni - hmm.... interesting proposition

How do you know that triathleticism is always flaunted? you don't see it when they hide it!  agree running in tri suits not cool, though.

right I'm going to go learn about dogs

•  

Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

Lorenzo - That 18 miler must have been a real confidence booster, although I reckon if you want & Ant to keep Lit's "nice bum" in sight you will both have to get your skates on!

Ah, but with an incentive like that, who needs energy gels?image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ever wished you hadn't said anything?  It was a reference to PMJ's habit of following women's arses in races about 5 pages ago. Grr.

• Don't worry. In the end you'll be staring at my bum all the way round, anyway. I have received compliments on it in my time.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Well done on the new shiny PB, Leslie! and SJ I have no words to say what an outstanding achievement that is. You continue to astound me with your racing in spite of your dicky hip! How about a nice race photo instead of a foot one? You can send that privately to the foot fetishists instead.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Bike It - So sad to read your news.  Too much for one person to deal with at any one time but I hope you are managing to soldier on despite it all. It sounds like you are.  Keep in touch when you can.  Comrades is there every year and 2015 is the year I have foolishly agreed to do it!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    From the rule book of the International Ultrarunning Federation:

Rule 32(a) subsection d: anyone who completes a race of 60k or further is entitled to display pictures of his or her feet on the internet. The more blood and the fewer toenails the better. This is to remind lightweights that 26.2m is the beginning, not the end.
  • Leslie - Congratulations on a great PB - you must be very happy with that.

Slokey - Hats off to you for something I think would be beyond me and many others on here too. How are the legs today?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

BikeIt, sorry to hear about your troubles. Keep posting on here. It's good to keep your network going when it seems that everything is piling up against you. Best wishes buddy.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Ant, the legs are functioning but wife just had to put my socks and pants on for me. Although I probably could've done it myself, but if someone offers.......

• 8 hours? OMG Slokey, you are a machine! 

Minni, it will all fall into place, you have the speed, you have the endurance, just find the mental confidence!