Sub 3h15

Comments

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

AR - After reading Birch's post saying the same thing I am more inclined to push for 2.45 if the conditions are right on the day.  In 2012 I was aiming for 2.55 until race day when I decided to see if I could break 2.50 (and I did).  We'll see what happens in two weeks.

Excellent run Slokey.  Hope you enjoyed copious amounts of French food, wine and beer to celebrate.

• Slokey- if you can get away with it, keep it up! I get nooooooo sympathy after a race! just a "told you so"

so bored with this taper, need to run!!!!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Epic stuff, Slokey  . . .will we get a proper report? 
    Well done, Leslie
    Martin - good man !!  You can do it  . . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Slokey- bet you enjoyed the pants bit best.

15 for me to finish the campaign. The brakes are on now till Paris. 

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

forgot to say thanks Birch, Joolska for the assessments.  TR you have a point - after childhood practically devoid of sport and definitely devoid of competitive sport I am only slowly learning to run hard

I actually do want to know about the fence BikeIt! Also a while back you talked about taking your tot for a run - he sounded ace and you said he loved it - progress there?

• Dead jealous of you lot. I only pulled a muscle on a poxy 11 mile jog. Some great bums, and MsE has a great core.

Bike it- glad to hear from you. Just tackle one job at a time. Everyone in this game has got what might be termed as an addictive personality. Like a terrier with a rat. Respecting the edges is worthwhile, and stepping back can be therapeutic.

• SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

Wife just had to put my socks and pants on for me.

I bet Mrs. Slokey looks great in your pants and socks. Has she taken them off yet?

Rubbish night's sleep, got back late from the cinema, left knee ached a bit in the night, clocks went forward, and on top of all that I was worrying about my run this morning, as it was the definitive test of the state of the niggles. I needn't have worried.

16 miles av 7:24 incl. 8 miles @ 7:02mm. The first half of the run was spent trying to avoid those taking part in the city 10km race, and then when I got into what is MP I actually found it good and manageable. Too hot out there today, as well - only wearing (MT) t-shirt and shorts, and had to take off the gloves I had on originally and shove them in my back pocket.

The main thing is that my niggles held up well and appear to be on the wane so will not now impinge on my VLM experience. Hurrah and thank **** for that!

47 miles this week, which I'm pleased with. Next week will be fairlt easy apart from some mile reps on Thursday if all goes well and then maybe 12 miles next Sunday with another chunk @ MP.

Good luck everyone - hold it together for just a little longer!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Chapeau, SJ.  8 hours running is mind-boggling.

18M for me in a fairly sedate 2.5 hours, but had fun going off-road and tackling some of the hillier trails which the Blaise Estate has to offer.  Still can't do down hills fast on the rocky trails - I lose my nerve completely!

• SJ - Impressive run, that's more in one run that I've done in the last 2 weeks!

GM - for 2014 the GFA for 40 was sub 3:05 (goes up to sub 3:15 at 41), and the entries had to be in by 9th July. They haven't announced details for 2015 yet.

12.2 miles for me this morning in warm conditions as I didn't go out 'til after the F1 had finished. Final score was 7:41 per mile, starting comfortably then picking up for the last few miles. Absolutely no way I'm going to be able to do another 14 miles at anything like that pace however, so I think that may be the final nail in the coffin for VLM, as I really can't see any point in doing it just for the sake of it. I've entered the Maidenhead Easter 10 5 days later, and I think I'll be lucky to break 70 minutes.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone.  It does mean an awful lot and you all gave me a positive boost.

I realised that Two Oceans would be over Easter weekend in SA and looked to see if I could enter, but it is completely full so a good excuse not to hurt myself.

The kids are in bed and I'm just finishing up everything before heading to the airport.  Then I'll be spending 3+ weeks on a remote farm mostly where even cellphone connection is limited so I wouldn't be posting on here.  It'll give me time to put a plan together on how to heal everything and make some improvements and changes..

Parkrun yesterday in 48.06 with my son who is 4.  He probably ran a mile total and walked the rest - job done.  We'll do it in SA too as one has started in our nearest town.

Hats of to Sloakey for a nice ultra performance.  Proof indeed that even doctor unapproved running is great.

• All the best Bike It, enjoy the down time and use it well.

18 this morning felt strangely hard work. I bliddy hate tapering. 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

MsE – Nice photo! Woof woofimage

Gul – Super sub 40 10k

Bike it – Sorry to read about your injury and very sorry for your family in regards to your Mother in Law

PMJ – Nice Parkrun PB especially considering your other mileage 

Marrows – Great training block completed. Aim for the stars!

Jools – Good solid running after your 18 miler. And another great 18 miler today

Birch – Nice 10 miler

Martin – Go for the 2:45 Sir! As you say you might never have another chance and your training has you so close.

Gerard – I hope your foot and leg hold up

Speedy – Great Parkrun PB and 18 miler 

Literatin – Brilliant Parkrun PB

Poacher – That sounds like a horror flight! Nice Parkrun record. I hope your 27 miler goes well

Lorenzo – Excellent 18 miler to feel

Minni – Solid running 

SJ – Fantastic ultra running and so close to your prediction. Well done!

Leslie – That’s a great performance at Omagh.  I did indeed run too but didn’t hang about at the end as I jogged straight back to my car.

AR – Good to read you are running again. I hope you double digit run goes well

Rich – A good taper should cut the mileage not the number of runs or intensity in my opinion. Get out and run image

OO – Good15 miler – now cotton wool time

Blisters – Sorry to read about your muscle pull

Ant – Great running and confidence booster

Boft – Sorry your 12 miler was a bit of a struggle

I ran the Omagh HM yesterday in 1:23:25 which was 25 seconds faster than my Jantastic prediction so I’m happy with that. It was the easiest HM race I’ve done as I was only at about 95% effort due to having another long run this morning. I probably could have run 60 to 90 seconds quicker which would have had me close to PB territory but that wasn’t the aim. I managed 24.1 miles this morning at 8 m/m pace but unfortunately I had a lot of discomfort from my left ITB. I’ll do my usual treatment of forgetting about it and hoping the pain goes away!

I’ve now completed Jantastic but I’m missing week 1 from March when I was on holidays. I emailed them and I’m told that they will add my runs in but that was a week ago and apparently they are having technical difficulties. Fingers crossed they will get it sorted.

It’s just 5 weeks to my 50k Ultra and back to back Marathon and 11 weeks to the 100k.

I’m really looking forward to watching VLM on TV this year after running it myself the last two. The whole ‘Mo’ thing will make it interesting.

• Badbark- hope the it band sorts itself out!  Great run today! Gonna go out later for a few easy miles as chomping at the bit. 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Rich - Good man, enjoy!

I just found out that my home town Bangor had its first Parkrun yesterday and despite it raining 262 people still showed up to compete! It’s going to get huge as the weather improves and more people hear about it. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - nuts !

Lit - you started it.

Marrows - same advice to you (as I have said to Minni before), go find some shorter races after VLM and really go hard at them (a bit too hard ideally), in an attempt to find where your limits are rather than staying inside them. Once you know where they are you can set about getting faster.

Badbark - nice one.

20M for me, bit dissappointing as I struggled a bit and tried to run a harder 4m at the end, whaich was way harder than it should have been and slower than I'd have liked it to be. I cant decide if I'm going to get my arse kicked in two weeks or have done enough to salvage something. 3M every 20mins will be my approximate aim.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark-24 the day after a half mara image Diiferent league image I managed 5 today but I did do a night-shift last night after the race imageBloody work ...Was a bit cold at omagh in shorts to be hanging about alright once you stop moving.

57 miles for me this week , had a slight 2 day taper to run the half , needs must ! ,2 pbs this month in a mara campaign so nowt to complain about here. image

• marrows wrote (see)

Lorenzo - we have raced over 10km

Marrows - whereabouts was that? I haven't done that many 10Ks!!

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

18 this morning felt strangely hard work. I bliddy hate tapering. 

Speedy - I agree as it's all a bit unsatisfying. The piece on the MT podcast about tapering was interesting if you haven't listened to it already.

Ant - excellent news! Have you managed to sort out the logistics of getting your registration form sorted? Could it not simply be scanned and emailed over to you?

Badbark - a summary to rival one of Gul's!!!! Fingers crossed ref the Jantastic runs.

Talking of Jantastic, I finished it off with a gentle 4 miler this morning and have ended up with a score of 99.7. image

This rounds off another 50 mile week and March this year will easily be my highest ever March in terms of mileage and compared to last year, my average pace during the month improved 10s / mile. Feeling positive, but hopefully not over confident for VLM.

Anyone else need any of this to wrap themselves in?

/members/images/226395/Gallery/1.160137356_CottonBalls250.jpg

• Lorenzo - My brother is going to send the registration form over by registered post. I think if the worst came to the worst I could manage with my race number if I contacted them first.

Badbark - Great HM, especially considering you were reining yourself in. How you managed a 24-miler today is beyond me, though. Hope the IT band sorts itself.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Badbark that sounds insane..

• When can I try and enter London for next year? Can you apply on the day of the race? won't get gfa as I would need a sub 3:05...
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    As Badbark said, plus...

Badbark - hard as nails, the 24miler is even more impressive than the HM. You will cane the ultra

Slokey - not bad for a crock. 8hrs is a long time and that's a decent pace

Leslie - nice one

Lorenzo - nice Jantastic-ing

Job done for me, knocked out an LDWA challenge event in Suffolk, essentially a 27m off road time trial with no route markers in a deeply rural area, with numerous stops for micro-navigation. Beautiful part of the world, tiring underfoot in the fields, ended up dragging another fella round in 4hrs dead but could have been a fair bit quicker. Mara/ultra no.49 so the target of 50 in London is still on. Phew

Get into those cotton wool blankets everyone!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hola!

Gul - sorry I missed your sub 40 10k yesterday.   Top work!

martin - how annoying not being able to find the same wings.  Looks like you'll not be needing the fairy dust though, you're already flying without wings.

GM - the think with London is that we will not get to experience the great elite runners racing it out, apart from those who see them at 14/22 miles.   It'll be great for the crowds though.

SJ - blimey, top effort there. image

(((Bike it))) that all.

marrows - I've always fancied running in a tri suit and having IM tattooed on my leg just to look tough and hard.

Ant - indeed you are very noticeable from behind.  Especially when you have 'where's Dec' on your vest!   Sounds like its coming right for you just in time.

Thank you speedy.  Its the mental side that has been letting me down recently, which is annoying.

Jools - you have to just let yourself go on the downhills and have confidence you're not going to fall flat on your face.  I haven't mastered this either yet.

BOTF - are you deferring?  Hard decision but I completely understand. 

Nice half BB but you could've slowed down for the team!

TR - no doubt you'll pull it out the bag on the day.

Rich - I think it opened on marathon day last year but you better check.  Of course you could just pull your finger out and get a GFA!

MsE - some very impressive comeback racing from you. image

Poacher - brilliant stuff.  Glad VLM will be the special 50 for you.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Today was a make or break, do or die, kill or cure, shit or bust run for me.  The plan was 2:40 whatever distance that turned out to be.  I got psyched up for it but made the route one that I could cut it short if things weren't working out.  This particular route includes a couple of stretches on a cycle track, which also means 4 gates to go through.  I didn't want any excuse to stop so opted for the hillier road on these sections.

I set the garmin to show time only so I had no idea of pace or miles until I got home.  Ended up on 2:37 and 19.2 miles.  The last 4 were all sub 7:50 and I felt better than I have done in a month.  I've recovered well after and so long as there's no knock on effect on my hip it looks like VLM will be on.  I felt my hip/hamstring all the way but it didn't get any worse and if anything got better as I upped the pace.

• Minni wrote (see)

It looks like VLM will be on. 

imageimage((()))

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Minni - Excellent news.  Fingers crossed there is no reaction in the morning.

Enjoy the solitude Bike-It.  Sure you'll be back stronger than ever!!

Serious mileage Badbark and plenty of speed to go with it.  Keep an eye on your ITB though as it was what caused me knee issues last year.

TR - Getting that 20 miler done will be of benefit.  You are experienced enough to read your body on race day so sure you will pull through another 2.5x.

That looks like a good imprevement from last year Lorenzo.  Stay healthy.

• that's great news Minnie!!

5 easy tonight for moi.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hurrah for Minni image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Badbark - Thanks and I have to say your endeavours are beyond the realms of comprehension! Inspiring stuff and keep going well. Hope the IT issue is controllable.

Poacher - You're also made of stern stuff. Fair play to you for getting the other fella round in under 4hrs too!

Minni - Great news re your run today!

Bike it - I have no desire to go ultra but Two Oceans sounds magic to me. Keep well.

DNF for me today at XC. Only managed two laps of the 5 and to compound matters further it finished 39 - 39! So Guernsey retained the trophy. I'm ok with today considering how things go.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

X-post  - BOTF, thanks, I had better run a quick mara in Oct then!