Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jase, TR - thanks - I'll reflect more tomorrow, but just like to say, I didn't want to go out on the Boston DNF, and the encouragement on here from the likes of you, TR, has meant a lot as I've plugged away. Cheers.

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Excellent run Birch. Well deserved sticking with it since Boston
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Congratulations to Yshif and Birch.  Big congrats to Birch in particular, for hanging on in there when the going has got tough over the past months and years.  So pleased you got your VOGIT GFA image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just a quick post while I upload my Brighton stats.

Apologies to the thread but from the off today I knew 3.15 was not on the cards, so switched to plan B and the original bid for sub 3.20.

Result - 3.19.59 !!!!!  imageimageimageimage A PB by nearly 4 mins and the perfect lesson in efficient timing. image

I am proper chuffed. My son sent a text to confirm my chip time as I didn't know if there would be a large difference in my watch time and I'd get bumped to 3.20.

The mile splits are quite good and consistent (apart from the over crowded first mile where all I could do was 8.22).

Uploading now, will come back later with the splits and my picture with Paula Radcliffe image  Met her in the VIP area which I was lucky enough to gain entry to.

Cheers

SB (3.19 marathoner)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

FANTASTIC STUFF BIRCH!! Well deserved

I've been talking to organisers of Sheffield HM - one of them broke down in tears as the "catastrophe" unfolded.  They are mighty unhappy

Explanation of what went wrong on 5 live tonight just before 2300 

• The worst thing for me Poacher wasn't the unfortunate water situation- guess someone made a big mistake and sure will pay for it, the worse thing was the tannoy system-the runners lined up could not hear it at all.

We didn't fully know the situation when we set off (60 minutes late), passing the timing car still on the start line was a bit of a giveaway but not everyone will have seen that. I spoke with lots on the way round who didn't know it had been cancelled-there was runners finishing who still did not know!!

• Congrats to Birch on sticking with it and out another cracking performance.

Huge thumbs up to SB - mission accomplished in many ways. Delighted for you. How did Paula react to meeting you?!
  • Big congratulations and pats-on-back to Rich and Yhsif for fighting the weather and the trots, respectively - and winning. Bask in the glory of your success, boys.

Sporty B - Efficiency of effort taken to the limit there! Really well done - what was the weather like down there? I have a brother living in Brighton but I've never fancied the marathon there because of the long, lonely finish along the windswept seafront. Anyway, you tamed the beast, so enjoy your moment.

Birch - I am so,so  pleased for you. You are an example to us all.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

The oddest thing is the apparent plan by the police to block the roads after 1 or 2 miles to physically stop runners. Just sounds bizarre and potentially dangerous.

Xpost great run SB

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Birch - Great run and way inside your VOGITGFA. What did you reckon to Manchester?

PMJ - I've never run that well in marathons where the sun shone. Give me cloudy and breezy and I'm happy. Like Birch, I'm glad that the rain didn't arrive until much later than forecast.

Just had a look on BBC at Sheffield half debacle. What an odd and very frustrating situation.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Congratulations Birch! Comfortably under VOGIT GFA. image 

Superb pacing SB and a very healthy PB too. Well done fella!

• Wow, congratulations backwards fishy, SB and Birch! I'm loving it, keep the reports coming image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, SB.  I love it when marathon season starts -especially when there are so many positive race reports image

• Congratulations everyone. Quick one from me at Brighton 3:13:36 wish is 10 mins off my pb. Cant believe it. Ran with pacer for twenty three and (cant believe im saying this) felt quite perky so took off a bit and ran sub 7 for last mile. Paid for it when I finished though image
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hurrah for SJT as well.  You know you can be a bit greedier next time image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    SB - Great PB - 4 minutes is a lot!

SJT - Brilliant PB and super fast final mile.

Speedy - It's a while since I've been called backwards, probably by one of my children when they were grumpy teenagers ha. Couldn't get the forum name of fishy to work with out loads of following numbers.

Joolska - I also love reading about all the great times and reports - even as a lurker!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

The jam tarts obviously worked! Brilliant!! image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Well done Birch, really pleased for you.

Great performances by the rest of you too. Sporty Badger, Jam tarts, Yhsif and Rich.

Look forward to the race reports.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

What moof said.

Brilliant to hear all the successes coming in. Well done all.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Congratulations to Birch! We always knew you were a VOGIT but you proved you are also Birch VOGIT GFA  today image!

Excellent racing by SB and an impressive cool headed recalculation midrace to come away with a superb PB.  Veeeery nice times from JTYhsif and Rich too.  Did anyone fall short of their goal time today?!!! 

Our last weekend in California and I am clearing up the dregs from a party that lasted from noon to 1pm yesterday.  Thank goodness I don't drink or else my planned trail run with the dog later on would definitely be in jeopardy. I will miss the running here and my new friends but I am very excited to be coming back!  D day - 6 days.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Brilliant Mara racing Birch, SB, Yhsif, Rich and Mr jammy Tart and thank goodness nobody was sh1te.image

No mara for me just tiring mara training here , 65 mile for the week which seems to be about my limit , cannot seem to find that other Gear this year .image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great running guys, what a bevvy of talented performances this w/end.

3:00:33 in Paris for me. A near miss but well above my expectations. No analysis done yet but I struggled in the 3rd qtr. Then the 3rd 3 hour pace man came past and I tried to stay with him. At 24 miles I left the pack and tried closed down the 2nd 3 hour pacer who was 200M up the road, passing him on the home straight. Last 3 miles were 6:45's. I was a bit shocked to then discover the pacers were outside 3 hour pace- I left it a bit too late it seems. Still a great run and a strong finish. Brilliant w/end in Paris and nice to bump into Menn. Roll on London   image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sounds like you recovered well, OO and that's a cracking result.  Congratulations!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Brilliant run 0051, Bloody pacers too slow , disgraceful behavior image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Yes, poor show by the pacers but excellent running OO. Plus it keeps the interest going for your autumn outing. Anything in mind yet?

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Sooo close OO! Better than you expected, so you've got to be pleased with that.

There's another sub 3 in you.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

OO-51 - the pleasure was mine! Disappointing that the pacers let you down, but a mighty effort and great time.  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Well done to all the marathoners today with some great pb's!

OO - Agonisingly close, still a brilliant run. Watched the coverage on sky plus and have to say it doesn't look easy with some sneaky climbs and cobbles. The elite runners looked like he conditions affected them.  Look forward to your report! 

Birch - Respect!

• Brilliant time in Paris Menn - hope you have enjoyed a few glasses of wine!

Great PB too Rich 26 and Yhsif.

And super you gout your qualifying too Birch.