Sub 3h15

Comments

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gaz - there will be other marathons, you only have one of you, so look after yourself. Hopefully the doc will give you the all clear and it'll be full steam ahead for your next attack on 3:15.

Sporty B - scary stuff. Strange how these things happen, never to be repeated, but more worrying at the time!

Marrows - like the t-shirt! One you own, or just one you've seen? image

BB - if you can do the mileage, then following in Marigold's footsteps should bring you results. Nice running.

Last bit of pre-London speed for me today. 10 x 200 as part of a 4 miler, all in the 42-45 second bracket. Just gentle pootles tomorrow & Thursday to go. Gulp.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

"Funny re. the Garmin t-shirt as I did stop my watch when I came around. Bet the medics thought I was an idiot. LOL."

No GAZ they realised you were a SERIOUS runner image

Badbark - Great pace !

Abbers-Nice fast 200's.

I thought id try one of Gul's pr0gression type 20 miler runs:

First 8 miles Easy at 8:20m/miles, Next 7 steady at 7:30m miles, Last 5 at 7:05 m/miles.. Its was tough all right!

Splits for faster miles : 7:36, 7:17, 7:31, 7:30,7:24, 7:24, 7:29....7:03, 7:09, 7:04, 7:06 and a flat out 6:59 to finish.image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I'm wearing that very t-shirt right now for wallpapering!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Great reports everybody! I'm feeling all inspired to get my autumn race booked in image

I particularly enjoyed SJT's traumas. I'll try the "run faster" approach next time....

KR, shame it didn't pay off for you. Can't you be tempted by another outing?

That's tres irritating Menn. Are you sorting it out with the organisers?

Great photo Speedy, that's one for the mantelpiece.

Burton AC Gaz wrote (see)

Now I know I'm alive though I couldn't be more gutted. I wanted 3:15 and not 3:15+.

Quote of the day. Hardcore! Hope you are well.....

• Fantastic reports of this weekend's efforts - really inspiring, but at the same time terrifying, stuff!

Tarts - So the bloke who rang your doorbell was just some random nutter?

Gaz - What a nightmare. Hope it was just a chance thing. Does a high level of potassium indicate too many bananas?? I blacked out a few times at football and on a couple of occasions thought my time was up, such was the crush that caused me to lose consciousness. The worst one was at a West Ham - Southampton game when Keegan had just come back from Hamburg. Dangerously overcrowded.

I am nervous now.

• Gaz - Wow so so close, that must really sting. At least you know you can do it, and more to the point you are still alive! Had you been taking gels regularly? I was craving sugar at the end and I had taken gels every 30 mins (for the first time, blughhh!)

Ant - Yes some random guy off his head on something I reckon. He was pretty smartly dressed and had a very odd/confused look. Was very disconcerting and a pain the arse!

SJ - Yep the run faster method really seemed to work. I felt my legs lose all energy and heart rate fly up and me slow right down, so I had nothing to lose. The weird thing about it was when I stopped sprinting, I felt I had gone back even further to a really slow crawl. In fact when I checked my splits, I was running 15-30 seconds quicker per mile after that, although I can honesltly say it didn't feel like it at the time. Weird.

To all of you racing on Sunday, I am really excited for you all! I'm a bit flat it's all over for us last Sunday racers already. Oh well, on with the next....

And remember, "Don't be sh1t!"image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gaz- Wowzer, that sounded terrifying, hope all is and will be well. Must say I've never fainted, blacked out or anything like that, must be a weird and scary experience.

Minni - Hope the wall papering doesn't involve a ladder!image I had no idea that folk still did that sort of thing.

I wonder if any other runners in Paris got short changed like Menn with their time. Can you imagine if you ran sub 3 and then they added an additional number to tip you over the milestone. Jesus there would be trouble.

Out for a pleasant 5k tonight with a friend of mine, who since his 3:06 marathon debut in 2010 has been injured on and off. We ran at 7:10 pace and he was really struggling, amazing how hard running can be when your out of the game for so long. His parting words to me tonight were, I will probably thank you for that in 2 days time but not now....

Just a reminder of the racers this weekend. TR is not on there, anyone else missing?

Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x
    CC2 - 2.59.59
    Literatin - sub 3:05
    Lorenzo, Ant - sub 3:10
    Minni - 3:12
    Marrows - 3:14:59
    OO-51 - 3:15
    Abbers - A. 3:15  B. 3.20  C. Finish and enjoy the day
    Poacher - TBA
    AR - get past 16 miles

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gaz you came through alive and well so don't beat yourself up about it. Imagine if you damaged yourself going down....could have been very serious.

• Minni yup will be pacing 3.15 at the green start so see you there. Obviously no guarantees, but never missed a pacing target yet and London is the easiest to pace, so fingers crossed

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Please can someone add me to Sunday's list.  Have tried a few times now and broken the formatting each time image.  Sub 2.49.44.  Thanks

Hope all goes well at the docs Gaz and it was just an isolated incident.  Shows your Central Governor is a tough one!!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Martin - Here you go.image

Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x
    Martin H - sub 2:49:44
    CC2 - 2.59.59
    Literatin - sub 3:05
    Lorenzo, Ant - sub 3:10
    Minni - 3:12
    Marrows - 3:14:59
    OO-51 - 3:15
    Abbers - A. 3:15  B. 3.20  C. Finish and enjoy the day
    Poacher - TBA
    AR - get past 16 miles

• DoddsDodds ✭✭

For those doing VLM on Sunday the 5 day met forecast looks pretty good to me.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/london-greater-london#?tab=map&map=ScreenTemperature&zoom=8&lon=-0.12&lat=51.51&fcTime=1397347200 

Pretty much the same as Abbers today, 11 x 200m, within 5 miles, round the track in Regents Park.

Good reports; reminds me how every race, for every runner, is very different.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

David - I'll have a think about it.  I don't have any problems with even pacing but my success with it this year will be based on how my hip behaves.  However, I am quite tempted to run without a watch so in that case pacers would be good.   Where will you be starting?  I like to start right at the very front!!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Can we have a Chandos list?  Far more important than the predicted time list.  I'll be there!

Minni image

I'm supposed to be doing 3 x 1m @ HMP tomorrow but have had a lot of work done on my hip today - do you think I'd be better missing it?   Also have a huge dressing on my toe.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Really enjoying the reports - looking forward to lots more after Sunday!
    Lorenzo - sounds like a very decent MP.
    Abbers - don't fret - just channel that nervous energy!
    RJ - good to hear from you - hope things get sorted out.
    Minni - yes, we need photographic evidence (of the toe, not the hangover!)
    Badbark - pleased to hear ITB is behaving - quite a weekend you have lined up!
    Rich - sorry to hear you missed the cut for Boston.
    Burton ACG - glad you're fine now, but make sure you get yourself properly checked out.
    marrows - love the t-shirt!
    Leslie - cracking progressive run - faster start than mine!
    Didn't get out till 4:42am this morning, so ran out of time to post. 14 miles @ 7:37 m/m.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Some great marathon reports from the weekend, very inspiring. Almost makes me not want to defer my place this year at London, but my 15 miler on Sunday (which was far enough) persuades me other wise.

In reasonable shape but not marathon fit, besides my wife would kill me.

Gaz, that sounds a bit of a shocker, at least you managed to stop your watch. How was you feeling up to that point?

Jam tarts, you summed up the emotions of running a marathon, it did make me laugh. It's a daft hobby isn't it.

Birch- great that you could put the demons of Boston to bed. Really pleased for you.

OO- that really is a great time and glad you had a strong race. What are the plans for London, just enjoy it of do an Also-ran and nail another sub 3.

Mennania- I would be severely pi$$ed with that official result, hope you can get it sorted.

6 miles for me this morning with 3 @ tempo (6.05mm), still have a slight groin niggles that comes and goes.

Really looking forward to see how you all get on this weekend

• Gaz, that's terrifying and frustrating in equal measure. Glad to hear you're getting checked out. 

4 miles with 2 @ MP for me. It's really windy out there again and really rather cold. My hands were numb when I got in. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

No plan at all really moof, depends how I feel on the day with the old legs. Hopefully 3:15 is doable but it's very relaxing knowing it's no big deal. Legs are still bad now.

What's up with your toe Minni?  

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Remind me is it this Chandos?

29 St Martin's Ln, London WC2N 4ER ‎

• Hope you're OK Minni - what happened?

Crikey Gaz - sounds rather alarming. How are you feeling now? What did the doc say?

Menn - any news from Paris?

With less than 5 days to go, surely it's time for public declaration of A (over the moon), B (pretty darned pleased), C (satisfied smile) targets, along with start areas, race kit and numbers? 

To kick things off:

Red Start

Blue Start

Green Start
    Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

• And just for good measure, here's a copy of a Marathon checklist that Ex Pat Scot pulled together a few years ago. 

Travel (bear in mind he was travelling down from Yorkshire, not up from Surrey!!)

inflatable pillow
    book
    RW magazine
    wallet
    train ticket
    race instructions
    food
    drinks
    umbrella 

Expo

Photo ID
    registration form
    gels to drop off
    London A-Z

Overnight

PJ
    porridge
    toothbrush
    toothpaste
    shaver
    towel 

Blackheath

race no
    chip
    safety pins
    marker pen
    vaseline
    suncream
    loo roll
    bin bag
    tesco bag to sit on
    flapjack
    wide mouth drink bottle
    gels
    pace band 

Race

Trainers
    socks
    vest
    shorts
    garmin
    HR strap
    race belt 

Finish 

Map to Chandos (very important!!)
    Face cloth
    Fruit
    Malt loaf
    Flapjack
    cash
    ibuprofen

• Good reports everybody - glad to hear of some excellent times and that everybody came out unscathed. One of our club collapsed at the finish in Manchester and has absolutely no recollection at all of the last couple of miles or the immediate aftermath of the finish. Still got his GFA time though - did all his training on a treadmill at 7:30 pace image

Proper speedwork tonight 3 x 6 x 200m, done as a shuttle run in teams of 3, not something we do very often. The distance actually turned out slightly short of 200, but got progressively longer as the runners at both ends kept moving back until it was at least 25-30m longer than at the start and the last few were recorded as 200. That resulted in times ranging from 29 to 32 secs, but the average pace was 4:24 per mile, which is faster than Mo Farah will go on Sunday. BOTF faster than Mo Farah shocker!

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

Just a reminder of the racers this weekend. TR is not on there, anyone else missing?

Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x

Current aim is to start: gout grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x

Current aim is to start: gout grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry to hear that PMJ. Does that mean you have joined my 100% Taper week. Is it a case of sit, wait, and see if it clears?

I'm going with A Target: Finisher   B:Target: Tower Bridge  C Target: Start.

Today I'm feeling buoyant and William Hills have slashed my odds to 3 to 1 on to start. Anyway, back to sitting around 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

BOTF - well done on beating Mo!
    PMJ - sorry to hear the gout is still playing up - feeling your frustration. Praying it will clear up in time.
    AR - hope you can make your A target.
    4 recovery miles d&d.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Menn- Brilliant running achieving the sub 2:55. We are both 2:54 marathon runners now

Yhsif – Cracking 3:12 time especially because of your problems. Nice report

Birch – Good VOGIT target achieving!

OO – Fantastic running but a pity about the pacers.

KR – Ouch, sorry to read you didn’t get a sub 3 but a sub 3:15 is still a great achievement. I feel your pain with those last wall hitting split times. I still think you have a sub 3 in you though!

Rich– Brilliant sub 3:15 and well held together when the going got tough. Nice report.

SJT – Super performance and an excellent report. You really did give it your all! Great 30 min recovery too.

SB – Excellent performance made all the sweeter by the narrow margin! Great report.

Well done to all the relay racing and Parkrunners as well, especially the PBs! Solid running by everyone else.

I’m happy to report my ITB issue seems to be well under control. I ran 15 miles on Saturday including a 19:00 Parkrun after 10 miles without any ill effects. The Parkrun is a new local event only 2.5 miles from my house but it’s a very twisty course. Despite my 10 mile warm-up I still managed second place.image

I hope to run about 90 miles this week including 24+ on Friday and 28+ on Saturday. Gulp.image

• I'm feeling much better thanks folks. Legs are even good again.

Doctor didn't really ask or say much and I'm back for blood tests on Friday.

Of course I'm thankful that I'm well and nothing is damaged but its difficult not to be massively disappointed now. Up until mile 25 I was going well. Before I went down my legs had just started cramping and I was barely running but I knew I was nearly there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/475859096 

I've tried getting a pass for next year off the wife but it doesn't look like i'll be getting a shot at putting it right.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I've no idea why I appear to have a double post a few days apart which I can't edit. image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Wow Gaz! It looked like it was really on for you until the lights went out. Gutted for you. I didn't say before but I think I may have seen you being attended to as I went past, the timing is about right and when I looked at your Garmin stats, the endpoint is where I saw someone in difficulties.

Go get the all clear and convince the boss that she needs to let you set the record straight.image

Went for a spinning class last night. Just did high cadence leg spin with no out of the saddle stuff as my thighs are still very sore. Tried some stretching and core stuff in the gym beforehand and it was tough so I didn't push it. 
    Yet another example of how hard we push ourselves and what impact it has on the body.

More rest and recovery beers this week!

SB