Sub 3h15

Comments

• Also-ran wrote (see)
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

Just a reminder of the racers this weekend. TR is not on there, anyone else missing?

Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x

Current aim is to start: gout grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry to hear that PMJ. Does that mean you have joined my 100% Taper week. Is it a case of sit, wait, and see if it clears?

Wait and see is the order of the day. The gout means I can't run but it does mean I have no running injury so the heart, lungs, liver, legs etc are all fine and rested. 20 miles last week and zero so far this week, hoping for a 2 or 3 today.

I have beliefe in the Zatopek Effect. This year I have done 797 miles up to the end of March and in 2012 I did 692, so I am 100 miles ahead and a rest won't harm.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/04/history-lesson-the-zatopek-effect.html

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie - excellent progressive 20.

Ant - I share your nerves!

Dodds - nice sharpeners there.

Minni - hope your hip & toe continue to progress.

Gul - didn't get out until 4:42am? Slacker!image Nice running though. For me, it's just the unknown factor of the first one. No idea how I'll react to it, or whether my targets are realistic. With the first one done, all that kind of worry goes away as I'll have a reference point.

Moof - swift tempo, shame you won't be at London. It sounds like the right decision though, as you obviously know when you're in good mara shape.

CC2 - forecasts suggest it will be reasonably calm on Sunday. It'll be nice not to be running in the wind after the last few months!

BotF - fun sounding club session image

PMJ - oh heck... healing vibes!

AR - have beliefe!

Gaz - a fairly standard GP encounter then! Good luck with the blood tests.

Sporty B - rest & recovery beers sound like a fine idea.

Chandos is, sadly, debatable for me. I'll have Mrs A and the Little Miss As in tow, and we're off up to the Lakes later on Sunday afternoon/evening, so I'm not sure how much allowance there is for a pint and a chat. I'd love to be there if I can though.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Red Start

Blue Start

Abbers: 5289, black T-shirt with "Glyn" on the front, black shorts, blue shoes. A: 3:15 (dream target),  B: 3:20 (real target), C: finish (which would be a PB!)

Green Start Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

• Abbers - bring Mrs A and the little Miss As along to Chandos. Always time for a quick post marathon pint!!

Forecast looking good

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Also-ran wrote (see)
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

Just a reminder of the racers this weekend. TR is not on there, anyone else missing?

Apr 13 - VLM
    PMJ - 2.4x

Current aim is to start: gout grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry to hear that PMJ. Does that mean you have joined my 100% Taper week. Is it a case of sit, wait, and see if it clears?

Wait and see is the order of the day. The gout means I can't run but it does mean I have no running injury so the heart, lungs, liver, legs etc are all fine and rested. 20 miles last week and zero so far this week, hoping for a 2 or 3 today.

I have beliefe in the Zatopek Effect. This year I have done 797 miles up to the end of March and in 2012 I did 692, so I am 100 miles ahead and a rest won't harm.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/04/history-lesson-the-zatopek-effect.html

By coincidence I will be playing a Zatopek card if I run. I'm a few Kg's heavier than this time last year but I've convinced myself that if Zatopek could win gold at 5k / 10k / Mara with "an average persons weight" then I'm good to go. Beliefe!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

AR - see you in the leading group in the highlights on Sunday night then? image

Lorenzo - I'll see what I can negotiate! Would love to meet some of the thread in real life though.

4 easy miles ticking over at lunch. Feels like a bit of a phoney war, just waiting for the real action to kick off.

• Abbers - Yes, you have to come to Chandos! Rude not to.

3.5M miles in race kit at lunchtime in weather that was a lot sunnier and warmer than we're going to get in London on Sunday, which is fine by me. 7:00mm pace, leg less niggly than for Tuesday's 4-miler, but I fear it is going to give me something to think about until I get to the Mall sometime after 1.00 p.m. on Sunday.

Leg-loosening massage tomorrow at the physio, hopefull he'll see me right.

Keep your head, everyone, and I'll try to do the same.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all VLMers. Weather in the capital today is beautiful, if a little warm. You all deserve some decent weather after battling through a nasty damp winter.

Remember not to get carried away by the crowds at the start and KINAVIT at mile 20.

Keir
  • I seem to have hit a real depressing lull today?

After running the race of my life I just have no get up and go! I was told today I'm going away for work for all of May and going to miss the Two marathons planned! Also my training will dip to where I was a year ago!! argh!!! 

Are we always thinking about the next goal?? even a few days after my last accomplishment?? Sub 3:10, 3:05, sub 3???? where can the obsession end?? ha ha Could I have gone better?? so many questions.

Why am I not content with what I though a few days ago was a great time?

the life of a marathoner!!

Almost jealous of you guys running this weekend!!

Abbers the last week was soooooooo boring !! you've been hitting more targets than me to date. So your defo on for a great time! just remember and pace it right. After reading a few of the tales on here. It looks like it's better to head for a time and pace it right. rather that balls out and hang on.

New goal is a sub 3:10 in September?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

GM -  i'll be there, I bagged my number today, still no fridge magnet in the good bag !!!!

I told the Saucony fella about my sore feet from having to go up 1/2 a size between version 9 and 10 of their shoes, and now my feet are beaten up from the cushioning being in the wrong place, he said they had had other feedback too and are now up to 11s as 10s wasnt a good shoe ! I now have to decide wether to run in new ones that are too small, new ones that are too big, or my old ones that have 500ish M on them. I reckon I can get round but it wont be comfy !

• Any consolation TR I used my old ones! least you know the outcome of using them, instead of worrying about what might happen in newer ones!image

• Keir - good to see you back on here. What sort of running / cycling have you been up to recently?

Ant - sounds as though you'll be in good shape on Sunday. We'll have to try and couple the train together when the two starts come together.

6.5 easy(ish) miles this morning with younger Lorenzito. Lovely morning for running.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Keir - I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering what you were up to.

Rich - yes that's all normal.

Last proper run done - 5 miles @ 7:30. I'll be back soon to update target times, outfit, hairstyle and excuses....image
  • Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Thanks for adding me to the list GM.

Fingers crossed the gout subsides PMJ.

Monster mileage Badbark.  Good news on the ITB getting better.

Gaz - I think you need to convince the good lady that you have some unfinished business.  I'm sure if you put up enough of a "I need to know I can do it" case she should give in.

4.42 Gul.  That's just crackers!!

Good to hear from you again Keir.  Hope things are good with you and the family.

Rich - As runners we are rarely finished with targets.  I think it must be tough when you can no longer go any faster.  Until that day the motivation to run faster is still there.  Plan away!!

No exercise for me today for only the 3rd time this year.  I am sooo bored!!

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Red Start

MartinH: 32377.  Purple vest, purple shorts, rest of me painted purple. A: sub 2.45, B: sub 2.49.44 (new PB), C: Renew GFA

Blue Start

Abbers: 5289, black T-shirt with "Glyn" on the front, black shorts, blue shoes. A: 3:15 (dream target),  B: 3:20 (real target), C: finish (which would be a PB!)

Green Start Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

• Anyone else going to be at the Expo tomorrow evening?

• Thought I'd pop by briefly to wish everyone all the best for Sunday

Have been lurking occasionally and good to see a fair few familiar names and some new ones

BRING.IT.ON

Having had a poor running year last year have managed to pull things together a bit and planning a spring and autumn marathon myself

Hope you all smash it

• DoddsDodds ✭✭

Red Start

MartinH: 32377.  Purple vest, purple shorts, rest of me painted purple. A: sub 2.45, B: sub 2.49.44 (new PB), C: Renew GFA

Dodds 34357.  Purple and white Asthma UK vest with Dodds on the front.  A: 3.10, B: 3.15, C Sub 3:22 (PB)

Blue Start

Abbers: 5289, black T-shirt with "Glyn" on the front, black shorts, blue shoes. A: 3:15 (dream target),  B: 3:20 (real target), C: finish (which would be a PB!)

Green Start Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

What are VLM's running in the next few days?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

That's great news Frazer! Which races are you doing?

Keir! How's it going fella? The level of smut and all things toilet related has seriously reduced since you went AWOL. Ant does his best but the team effort is missing I think.

My fingers are crossed for the rickety amongst our VLMers.  

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Martin, pleased to see that the full purple glory is being unleashed on the unsuspecting crowds on Sunday. I'll keep an eye out for you on the telly.

• Martin - hurrah, the purple fairy hits the streets again!! Are you still the world record holder?

Dodds wrote (see)

What are VLM's running in the next few days?

5 miles easy tomorrow, 4 easy on Friday and rest on Saturday for me.

• Yay, Frazer's back. How's that not so teeny little pooch?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hello Fraser!  Good to hear you're going well.  If its the local spring marathon you're doing I will be out of the course for the duration supporting. image

TR - I'm going to pay a visit to the Saucony stand myself on Friday.  I don't suppose they were giving shoes away free were they...? image

SJ - how are you recovering??

So after a doubtful month I feel I'm good to start the marathon but I really don't know what will happen.   My hip was hurting a bit tonight but I had a deep massage yesterday and was advised not to run today but you know how it is.... this was my last chance to do a bit of speed etc etc.  On my 20 miler 10 days ago it hurt for the first few miles then wore off.  Anything could happen.  I've decided that I will go off at PB pace and see what happens.  Hopefully all will be well on the day but I am prepared to stop if I feel I am going to do lasting damage.  I'm not prepared to miss a summer of running just to complete a marathon now.   The main thing is I WILL be in Chandos come what may! image

Red Start

Dodds 34357.  Purple and white Asthma UK vest with Dodds on the front.  A: 3.10, B: 3.15, C Sub 3:22 (PB)

Blue Start

Green Start 

Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

Minni: 28513, white Alnwick Harriers vest with red, yellow and black stripes (bit like the German flag!), black shorts.  Hair in the usual running plaits.  A: 3:12 (not very likely now) B: sub 3:15:48 (for a PB) C: Sub 3:20.  Anything slower will mean all is not well with the hip and I will probably pull out at some point.

• SJ. Doing Edin (again!) and Loch Ness. Keeping it all local-ish. Been doing slightly bigger mileage but nothing faster than MP. Bit of a different approach to see what happens 

SG. Hetlo to you! The mega dog is fine ta though our poor old geriatric one is no longer with us. How are you feeling for the sub3 ??

will you be sporting wings and wand Martin??

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - they didnt offer me a free pair despite my moaning !

It will be easy to spot Martin then, although I dont want to be running that pace.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Fraser - I had Loch Ness pencilled in but ended up opting for The Yorkshire.  Glad to hear you will be at Edinburgh.

TR - no chance for me then.

• Good job I decided not to run - I now have a stinking cold and would be mightly lucky to be fit by Sunday.

• Oh no, RIP Tiggs. My geriatric cat is still ticking along, albeit with just the one eye these days. Good luck at Edinburgh. Clearly the best way to PB there is to sleep in your spare room the night beforeimage

Red Start

Blue Start

Abbers5289, black T-shirt with "Glyn" on the front, black shorts, blue shoes. A: 3:15 (dream target),  B: 3:20 (real target), C: finish (which would be a PB!)

CC2 151 (Champs start) Notts AC vest (White/Green/Gold), flappy style shorts, blue and pink (not by choice!) shoes. A: 2.59.59 B:2.59.59 C 2.59.59 Sh!t or bust.

Green Start 

Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

Minni: 28513, white Alnwick Harriers vest with red, yellow and black stripes (bit like the German flag!), black shorts.  Hair in the usual running plaits.  A: 3:12 (not very likely now) B: sub 3:15:48 (for a PB) C: Sub 3:20.  Anything slower will mean all is not well with the hip and I will probably pull out at some point.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

OO - great run whatever the final time
    As TR says: it's about being in the trenches
    Menna - stil a great run whatever the muppets say
    Gaz - Phew. You went for it and did what had had to be done. Nothing bad about that, but get it checked.
    Ant - don't be nervous
    ((PMJ))
    Keir, Frazer- welcome back, do stay

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Red Start

Poacher 32346. Hawaiian hula dancing girl - A: don't race, matches dry, 3.19 for Comrades B seeding & GFA; B - finish 50th mara/ultra in one piece; 

Blue Start

Abbers5289, black T-shirt with "Glyn" on the front, black shorts, blue shoes. A: 3:15 (dream target),  B: 3:20 (real target), C: finish (which would be a PB!)

CC2 151 (Champs start) Notts AC vest (White/Green/Gold), flappy style shorts, blue and pink (not by choice!) shoes. A: 2.59.59 B:2.59.59 C 2.59.59 Sh!t or bust.

Green Start 

Minni: 28513, white Alnwick Harriers vest with red, yellow and black stripes (bit like the German flag!), black shorts.  Hair in the usual running plaits.  A: 3:12 (not very likely now) B: sub 3:15:48 (for a PB) C: Sub 3:20.  Anything slower will mean all is not well with the hip and I will probably pull out at some point.