Sub 3h15

Comments

• SJ - awesome pics of the foot. Maybe we should all post before and after race feet!

Great report Menn, I do hope you get your official time sorted out. Technology is supposed to work in cases like this? I was looking at my splits fro last Sunday and they got my 10 mile time completely wrong. It turns out there was another person with exact;y the same name as me in the race (albeit a lot slower).

Best of freakin British to all those running on Sunday. Just tag onto to that thin bloke on the start line with Mo on his bib!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Menn-Great run and report shame they have cheated you a little on the finish time but its still a great time.image

Slokey- you definitely earned the right to post those pics... but no more please image

BIke it- nice 10 in the heat.

Ant- sensible to adjust targets if you don't feel 100%

10 easy miles (8:47/mile) for me this morn my dodgy right knee was complaining (again image) at yesterday's speed-work but freed up ok after a mile or 2.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

http://youtu.be/t29Z3D-gHIg

I'm on the official race vid! 2min 36 in, punching the air with about 500m to go. Magnifique!

• Good luck to everyone for the weekend. My thoughts, hopes, prayers, dreams and jealous envy will all be heading in your direction.

You've done the work. You deserve what you get. All that now remains is to go out there and to prove yourself. Whether you have to prove your ability to yourself is a question that only you can answer. If you believe that it's possible, then your goals will come within your grasp. Everybody will go through an excited stage early on- don't get carried away. everyone will go through a challenging phase in the latter stages. Don't let those mental changes beat you. Stay true. This is YOUR DAY. Push on. Achieve. Pick off the targets. When the going gets tough, resort to song.

"Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time, having a ball."

• Quality! well done Slokey! way too much energy after 8 hours!!

Menn- great run! pushed yourself there! 

• Goodie bag has a voucher for a pint of beer at the local next to the office, so is less crap than first assumed, just very crap instead of absolutely crap.

• Stop moaning. The Brighton goodie bag was an empty bag. As too make up for my disappointment I took two. In it's defence, the bag is quite thick plastic.

I didn't get the end of race goodie bag either as I got walked out by a gang of medics. Double whammy of disappointment.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Apart from the carp bag, I got 4 pairs of socks for a tenner, and 6 gels, various powdered drinks plus a water bottle for a fiver. Feeling ropey and struggling with the lurgy but too late to worry, best shot is all there is.

Good luck all, not long now
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all the racers this weekend. I hope that you all have great runs.

I'm already getting excited at the thought of being able to watch all the action on the box, whilst also being able to do a bit of online race stalking!

First post Manchester run this evening, with 4.5 miles over hills and fields in the spring sunshine. Oh the joys of running.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

Well I've just got around to deferring my London place. Feel a little sad that I didn't do the training, but very relieved because I haven't done the training .

Off out now for a few beers to celebrate a mates birthday, I reckon there's every chance I may get hammered.image

Best of luck to all for Sunday, hope you all hit the times you deserve. KINAVIT!!!

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Lovely pics Slokey.  Nice video as well.

Excellent report Mennania.  Great time whatever it works out to be (you will always know you crossed the line inside 2.55).

Sorry to hear about your Mother in Law Bike-It.  Pleased to see that you were back out running, despite the leg.

Hope the lurgy doesn't affect things too much Poacher.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Quick drop in to wish all the VLM runners good luck on Sunday! Soooooooooo exciting!!!!!

PMJ - Any chance you could post the xls. with the runners and their details etc?

Bike it - Hope you can keep things together as much as one can, given the circumstances.

• Marathon pace band printed - only one... 3:15.

Visited the Expo earlier in the week - Blue start - pen 3. Breifly visited the runners world desk, got a photo of the 3.15 pacer from the blue start. Neglected to ask what pen he starts in... just wanted to get in and out ASAP.

Looking forwards to getting going now, sick of malt loaf, fig rolls and pasta already
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Menn a fine run.

Horrible toe photos- please no more

Good luck to the VLM ers, I'll try to get to chandos for a swifty but all the family are in tow. Take care and run well- you all worked hard for this.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Thanks and go well!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - sorry to the hear your news - good that you can get out and do some running.
    Leslie - take care of that dodgy knee.
    Mennania - nice pic - irrefutable proof.
    Well, the big day is almost here for so many of you all. You've put in the consistently consistent training, so now go out and do yourselves proud. It's going to be a great day - can't wait!
    Did 17 miles with 12 @ MP effort this morning. 4M @ 7:53 m/m, 12M @ 7:03 m/m, 1M w/d @ 7:53 m/m. 7 weeks to go.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Red Start

Ant32952. White vest with "Ant" on it in orange, blue quite-flappy-style shorts, tennis-ball-green shoes. A: sub 3:05, B: sub 3:10, c: sub 3:15

Poacher 32346. Hawaiian hula dancing girl - A: don't race, matches dry, 3.19 for Comrades B seeding & GFA; B - finish 50th mara/ultra in one piece; 

MartinH: 32377.  Purple vest, purple shorts, rest of me painted purple. A: sub 2.45, B: sub 2.49.44 (new PB), C: Renew GFA

Dodds 34357.  Purple and white Asthma UK vest with Dodds on the front.  A: 3.10, B: 3.15, C Sub 3:22 (PB)

PMJ 31428 Datchet Dashers vest, look a bit like the avatar on the left. A: anything that starts with 2:4x and that is the only real goal, have to go for it. Consolation prizes: beat 2:50:28 for a new PB, 2:51:51 (80% WAVA), renew GFA for a sub 3 at 50 as per another threadster did and got onto MT.

Blue Start

Abbers5289, black T-shirt with "Glyn" on the front, black shorts, blue shoes. A: 3:15 (dream target),  B: 3:20 (real target), C: finish (which would be a PB!)

CC2 151 (Champs start) Notts AC vest (White/Green/Gold), flappy style shorts, blue and pink (not by choice!) shoes. A: 2.59.59 B:2.59.59 C 2.59.59 Sh!t or bust.

Green Start 

Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

Minni: 28513, white Alnwick Harriers vest with red, yellow and black stripes (bit like the German flag!), black shorts.  Hair in the usual running plaits.  A: 3:12 (not very likely now) B: sub 3:15:48 (for a PB) C: Sub 3:20.  Anything slower will mean all is not well with the hip and I will probably pull out at some point.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear your news, BikeIt.  Sounds like SA is a lovely place to go running, so I hope that is some comfort.

Best of luck to all runners tomorrow.  I'm in a rehearsal from 10-5 and from past experience the phone/3G reception is awful, but I will try and get online to find out how you've all done.  Feeling a bit wistful that I'm not going to be in London having been in court there yesterday and seen all the posters on the tube...

• Thanks for all the good wishes. I got over to London, and actually quite enjoyed the expo, although the goodie bag was spectacularly rubbish. I picked up a pair of NB1080s for 60  quid and some top Ronhill kit. I was also stopped by this gentleman asking to have his photo taken with me:

/members/images/83537/Gallery/P4110720_-_Copy.JPG

PMJ - I hope  you have sorted the picnic blanket and the Fortnum & Mason hamper for pre-race?

Lorenzo - Hope to see somewhere around Woolwich!

Poacher - Buck up, old chap! You're British, for Haeaven's sake, man!

Very, very best of luck to all the VLMers tomorrow, and I hope to see you all looking happy in the Chandos!!

• Nice photo Ant! you look nice and relaxed! good stuff, and always good to pick up a bargain!

Can anyone suggest a good flat fast course in the spring of next year for an attempt at 3:05 for a VLMGFA attempt??

going to apply for london but with so many wanting a place it's not always easy to get in without the qual time!  Any suggestions??

Good luck all the consistently consistent guys n dolls. Knock em dead!

Enjoy your pints at Chandos afterwards! It will be well deserved!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Manchester says it's the UK's flattest. I liked the course.

• All getting very close now! All the very best to everyone running tomorrow - looking forward to catching up in Chandos and hearing the tales of heroism and battling the difficult sections.

Jools - hope the rehearsal goes well and you won't be missing the fun and games too much. 

Great photo Ant - will be listening out on the next edition of MT for the reference to you! I'll keep an eye open for you tomorrow as the two starts come together. I'm in Pen 2 so should get over the line fairly quickly and am still planning to start at 7:05 pace (or 22 mins per 5K) so hopefully I'll see you before too long.

Minni - hope to catch up with you somewhere on the green start. I'm aiming to get there in good time to allow all the pre-race anxiety to work its way out of the system. What time are you planning on arriving? See you near the bag drop around 9.15?

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Parkrun today in Potchefstroom with my 4 year old boy.  We ran/walked in something like 50 minutes - beat thatimage.  It's only their 9th parkrun.  Its a nice course and we ran 2 laps.  The first part is in a field by the river, then cross the bridge into acacia bush-scrub.  We of course got lapped, including by 2 barefoot runners - they haven't got money for shoes and are not following the 'barefoot revolution'.

Baie strekte met die London Maraton

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Ant - who's the one on the left ?

All the best folks, I have dug out my orange singlet for its yearly airing, so if anyone sees me on the road then you are welcome to tag along, I would like to run 2:55ish pace (3M every 20min) but we'll have to wait and see.

• Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

I was also stopped by this gentleman asking to have his photo taken with me:

PMJ - I hope  you have sorted the picnic blanket and the Fortnum & Mason hamper for pre-race?

I hope you explained how Jantastic should work to him. I'm taking the blanket (last time I camped out in the men's changing tent so a blanket is useful) but the goose liver is a bit risky with the gout à ce moment.

Rich26 wrote (see)

Can anyone suggest a good flat fast course in the spring of next year for an attempt at 3:05 for a VLMGFA attempt??

going to apply for london but with so many wanting a place it's not always easy to get in without the qual time!  Any suggestions??

A lot is down to personal preference. There are a few big, fast runs such as Manchester but also a whole heap of smaller races which are far more low key and may be a better way to get a GFA time. I did http://www.shakespearemarathon.org.uk/ and I was able to roll up on the day (no expo, no hotel needed, parked close by), run the race, and get home by 2pm. 

• TR wrote (see)

Ant - who's the one on the left ?

All the best folks, I have dug out my orange singlet for its yearly airing, so if anyone sees me on the road then you are welcome to tag along, I would like to run 2:55ish pace (3M every 20min) but we'll have to wait and see.

I did parkrun this morning. Plan was a jog and first couple of miles felt stupidly slow at 7 m/m and then stretched the legs for a last mile at 6:15 so with bits came out as 21 minutes. 6:15 felt far too easy, guess it won't be so on the Embankment tomorrow. TR, if you come on by, try and pull me to the end.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Off out on a works do, so doing some liquid carbo loading of my own todayimage All the very best for tomorrow, hope the day brings you what you want from it.