Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant - More shoes, nice! I've just bee in a shop looking at On shoes, they seem to be a favourite amongst the tri crowd. Interesting looking shoes though.

TR - I see you have opted for the tried and tested shoes, sensible decision I reckon. I hope you enjoy the run!

SJ - Those foot pics are truly horrific, you are not selling this ultra malarkey to me I'm afraid.

Moof - How's the head?

Menn - image If that's not unequivocal evidence of your sub 2:55, then I don't know what else one could do.

I am really looking forward to watching the men's elite race. I read that Salazar has advised Mo against going with the lead pack and getting to half in around 62:15, simple but genius advice IMHO. Last year 5 or so guys went out a WR pace and every one of them looked like they were in their own private world of misery as they all bonked. Kebede was the only sensible one and he won the race in 2:05 I think. I am predicting a similar outcome this year if the fast guys go with Haile's suggested 30k pace, each and every one of them, maybe bar one will be slowing down come 22-23 miles and Mo could get a podium spot and smash the Bristish record. Who know's he might even do better then that! Can you imagine the buzz around the place if he won, would be like 2012 again, but even more remarkable. Oh jesus it's gonna be awesome!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul-good mara paced long run.

Bike it -start em young at the parkrun.

Good-luck tomorrow all the racers , will be on night-shift so wont be watching it live image

13 miles for me this morn giving me 71 for the week ,biggest in a while image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Ant - Nice pic! Good luck tomorrow.

Rich - What does your GFA time need to be? Manchester is a great, flat course, with enough runners entered to keep you going, but without the overcrowding of London. Very well organised and easy to get to.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’m almost as excited about watching VLM on TV tomorrow as I was the last two years when running it! Well OK, not quite.image

My ultra training kicked up a notch this weekend with 26.2 miles run yesterday then 30 miles this morning which was my longest ever run. The 30 miler was much easier than I expected, including comfortably running the last two miles at 7:00 m/m pace to ensure that I broke 4 hours (8:00 pace) average. No pains or niggles either.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Have a great race tomorrow, everyone!

Badbark image

Must remember my ID for Chandos afterwards. Today when I told my fellow parkrun volunteers that I'm running the marathon tomorrow, they said 'The mini marathon?'.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Marrows - surely I'm the only Minni on here?!

Lorenzo - hope to see you in the morning. I will be right at the very front as per last year and will get into the pen nice and early.

Others - hope not to see you en route (as you will be ahead of me) but will see you all in Chandos after.

Marrows - what number are you?

My plan is still to go off about 7:20 pace and see what happens. The hip isn't great so could go either way.
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

28779, pen 3, pink crop top

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Good stuff Badbark. I think you'll be a serious contender in future ultra races the way you are developing. Very encouraging that you are niggle free after the volume you have been able to maintain. Make sure you get some preventative rest though. 

Menna, Nice-Cannes looks cracking and my Physio recommended it to me just this morning. Wrong weekend though since I'll have my youngest in tow so race needs to be at half term image 

GM, my feet don't look much better when I haven't run an ultra to be fair.

I bought some Hokas (rapa nui 2) this morning - well cushioned and surprisingly light but mental looking shoes. I'm hoping the extra cushioning will preserve the creaky joints for a bit longer. I'll christen them when I'm away in Copenhagen next week and report back.

I've put actual money on Geoff Mutai for tomorrow, but I'll be rooting for Mo, c'mon!!!!!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - What price did you get for G Mutai? I've seen those Hokas, interesting looking shoes!

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Well the goodie bag certainty needs investigating by trading standards. Nothing good in there at all.

Ran my last run an hour ago. 5mins easy, 5mins at 6.14, 5mins easy. Very windy on Blackheath Common.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Unfortunately I won't be in Chandos due to charity duties. Have agood one and do yourself proud!!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Marrows - pen 3 is really pen 2 as pen one is reserved for the celebs. Don't nudge me put the way when you fly past!image
  • Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭

All the best everyone. Run like the wind. Hope you all meet your targets. image

• On the Green start pens 1 -4 are all actually the same pen. Or at least they were. Times change. This year all the champs runners have two chips. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

RJ, are you running tomorrow?

5-1 GM. I'm not bothered about the price tbh - I just wanted to put my money where my mouth is and after MT talked about it I thought I'd make it interesting.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Quick pop in after watching Woking win again!

Good luck to all racers tomorrow. It could warm up a bit so get the fuel and hydration right.

GO FOR IT!!

SB
  • PhilipMJones wrote (see)
     the goose liver is a bit risky with the gout à ce moment.

Chacun a son gout, en effet...

• Anyone doing anything interesting this weekend?

I thought I'd watch the charity fancy dress parade on the telly.

Good luck if you are planning a long run. Time for the spoof forecast.

• Just going for a little jog Blisters. I find myself in a city I don't know too well, so I'm tagging along with one or two others on a route that apparently ends at a pub. 

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

CC2, question from novice crop top wearer: how do you pin the number on? the top's too short.  I keep gels inside it and am worried about ripping the number when I stick my hand in to fish them out. Perhaps TMI but I woul dlike advice!

Presently eating jelly with dioralyte mixed in and slightly alarmed by how little weight I have gained carb loading - usually adds a bit more than this.. maybe I have failed to store any juice.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think CC2's club crop top is longer and does not contain gels. Can you pin it to your shorts instead?

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

1. shorts too short

2. need number to cover up weird gel-shaped bulges

edit: I lie.  Shorts not too short but think rustling would be annoying. It's a possibility though

• Fold/cut the number a bit smaller, or is that against the rules?

Good luck everybody tomorrow, I'll be there with you in spirit whilst cyber-stalking like crazy (assuming next door's new router doesn't take control of my router again as it did earlier today). Don't be shit!

• Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭

SJ - no, I'm not. Saving my beans for Edinburgh. I was supposed to be doing Manchester but I copped a turd in my toaster and got injured a couple of days before. It's completely cleared up now although I started at Manc I dropped out at about 7.4 miles as it was just getting too painful.

• Marrows, I'm afraid I've only worn the crop top twice so far and the number for Stafford was quite dinky. The relays number was bigger but still fitted. Just. I've seen folks have the bottom bit hanging off the bottom of the croptop, but that must chafe. You're not allowed to cut or fold it though.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    RJ - that might be me tomorrow...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck folks, might see u at some point tomorrow
  •  

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Just going for a little jog Blisters. I find myself in a city I don't know too well, so I'm tagging along with one or two others on a route that apparently ends at a pub. 

CC2, I know that city reasonably well and conducted a reconnaissance run over the last half a few weeks ago so if you pass me at pace towards the end I can point you in the right direction.

• Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Sorry, lurker de lurking! I posted here a fair bit in the run up to getting my GFA at Manchester 2012 but stopped due to losing the best part of a year (and missing VLM 2013) with a knee injury. 

Looks like I am finally making it to the start line tomorrow- green start 27971- but not in 3:15 shape sadly. Hoping for 3:20 maybe, with luck.

I would definitely recommend Manchester for getting GFA. Very fast and flat course.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Hope all you VLMers are tucked up in bed, if not....WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING AT!!

Best of luck.

GM- A little hung over this morning, hair of the dog should see me ok.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - I hope you have a great run tomorrow, you deserve it with the way you have stuck to the schedule and all and I/we will be keeping tabs! Smash it please!

SJ - Nice to be spectating tomorrow!

CJ78 - Hope you have a good one too!

And as for the rest of you, you won't be reading this as you will all be asleep now! But give it some and more!