Sub 3h15

Comments

• Sorry to hear that, GM.  I hope it all turns out well.

Wetsuits all round, marrows.  I think they were compulsory.

Slokey - Did you notice that the 3.8k and the 1 mile swim were both won by the same guy? (45 & 19 mins).  The bloody show off.  Are you doing the next one in the series?  Thankfully, I'll be on holiday.  So I'm excused.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - the leg feels fine now, but not going to risk anything this side of the weekend, play on Saturday (weather permitting) and then hopefully get back to running next week assuming all is well. It has effectively meant a 4 week layoff, allowing for 2 weeks off, recurrence, 2 weeks off, which has put a bit of a hole in my training plans! More splashing today. The 6k sounds interesting! Bad news about the required op and subsequent binning of autumn plans, but at least if the problem gets sorted, it'll be full steam ahead afterwards.

TAR - wouldn't fancy Ullswater in just a pair of Speedos! Flippin' chilly at any time of year.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gerard - hope the recovery goes well and you can get back at it soon image

Abbers - roll on next week then and watch that cricket its even worse than running for injuries by the sound of it

Tar- no slacking on holiday allowed on here ! .

5 easy 8:30 min/miles this morn as a recovery run .

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone with your steel toecaps. I have run 34 miles so far this week including a small amount of fast running (total 5.4K of little chunks at 5K pace on yesterday's commute), a bit more steady running around marathon pace, and some jogging. Not exactly structured, but tiring and varied.

GM -  Two weeks out of your marathon schedule doesn't sound disastrous.  What's your plan - ditch it altogether?  As for me, there's no A race on the horizon! I want to race frequently, casually, and over shortish distances, for the next few months.  Got a 7K next week.

Cracking 20 miler there Leslie.  What's the target?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie - indeed, although it looks like the weather may intervene to make sure I don't overstretch again! That being the case, I'll definitely be back in the trainers, possibly even on Sunday, and will do a couple of weeks of building mileage back up without risking anything too quick too soon. Nice recovery for you this morning.

Marrows - 7K? Sounds like a few bizarre distances cropping up on the thread at the moment. Regular short racing must be good for speed.

Another 1.2K in the pool at lunch.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

TAR, that is indeed showing off. Git.

Dont think I'll be doing tgr next one but I have pencilled in the middle of September to swim the full length of Ullswater (7.5miles) with a mate and a couple of support kayakers. Hopefully it will still be close to peak temperature then but as Abbers says, Ullswater is one of the coldest lakes up here. Some sort of hat would be in order.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - You're right it doesn't sound disastrous but endurance is not my strong point and given my track record in terms of banking proper long runs it is just the excuse I needed right now. Will shelf all marathon plans until next year and hopefully will be London or somewhere in the UK. Right now I have bigger fish to fry.

TAR - I do swim but not very far, but 19 mins for a mile sounds uber quick! And then to go and do a longer verison in 4x;xx that's just different.

Kind of bizarre but in a nice way that one can find some comfort on here in times of need from fellow threader's, especially since I've never met any of you but it works somehow. Thanks and good night all.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - good to hear the leg feels fine - sensible to give it a few more days.
    Leslie - nice recovery run.
    My post from yesterday seems to have disappeared! Did 5 miles easy up to the in-laws and back to water the tomato plants again. 7 miles this morning including 3 x 1k reps off 600m recoveries. 3:32, 3:33 and 338. I could tell it was a long while since I've done much speedwork!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

9M into work for me, including a few strides and wearing my Way of Steve t-shirt.

• Was looking at LFOTM 5k tomorrow but work eventually got in the way. No tears here, forecast is 29 or 30°C at lunchtime.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - good luck with the full Ullswater; sounds like a serious undertaking. Can't imagine how long that would take me!

GM - I've never met any threadites either, but people who share a passion will often provide understanding and empathy where others wouldn't. It's one of the reasons we're all here.

Gul - I'm trying really hard not to rush back to try to avoid another recurrence! Nice reps from you.

Jools - good miles to get in the bag early. Are you (and your T-shirt) going up to the Commonwealths for the mara?

PMJ - wouldn't want to be racing, or doing very much, in those temps. Always warmer in the city too.

Another 1350m splashing about at lunch for me, bringing up 5k for the week. It's not the same as running 30-40 miles, and I definitely swim like a runner, but is at least a nod to trying to maintain some sort of CV fitness.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Abbers: yes, t-shirt and I are going to Glasgow.  Got tickets to 4 athletics sessions and will go along to watch the marathon, too.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul - 5:40 pace that's shifting image

Jools - nice 9 

Abbers - swim like a runner ?, I swim like an anchor after about 20 metres image

Marrows - the target is mara fitness in 5 weeks from now as I've entered another local mara, its going to be tough  image

10 x 800m for me this morn all at 6:30 pace with 400m recoveries again at 8 min/mile milling  , last few I really had to work hard to keep the pace up .10 miles in total image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Thanks Abbers,

Jools, I've got one of those t-shirts too image 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - very hot and humid here already.
    Abbers - sounds like a lot of swimming to me.
    Leslie - well done holding the pace for those reps.
    Another 5 mile jaunt this morning.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Understand PMJ, work has got in the way here too. Tough Coastal Run this weekend so rest is no problem...

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Jools - excellent. Can't beat live sport. Must get along to some athletics one day to add to my repertoire. Enjoy!

Leslie - good work on the reps, and part of a decent chunk of mileage too. I'm sure I could swim better if I spent more time doing it, but it's not really high on my list of priorities. If I ever consider a tri, I might pay it a bit more attention.

Gul - consistent miles, as ever.

OO-51 - how's the forecast for the coastal run? Are you due any of the storms coming up from France?

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Abbers - do you think the swimming will help with your bowling? As a kid I could swim 5K but would refuse to jog further than 200m (too much like hard work) so I'm not convinced it's running-relevant!

Jools - is there a marigold cheer squad? I'm jealous.

GM - fair enough to shelve mara plans - though if lots else is stressful it can help to have something so well-defined and positive to work towards, no?

Lesley - sounds like you are in good shape and you know it!

Did my standard LT workout last night, going hard from one road-crossing to the next over middle chunk of the commute so 250m (15s rest), 800m (75s rest), 1M (45s rest), 1M, then jog on home. Efforts came out a bit quick around 6:30m/m and I followed up with a glacial trudge this morning.  So much sweat!

We haven't had enough foot photos recently.  Here's one of my dextrous toes.  I was messing around after discovering that a friend - a normal, healthy, adult human - cannot even spread hers!

/members/images/473351/Gallery/Capture_3.JPG

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Marrows image

Looking out at the Coastal run course, it's a lovely day. But rain may be on the way.  Late start this year (1330) due to tides so could be hot.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Marrows - it's not so much that it's running relevant, but it's a way of maintaining some CV work without stressing the leg. In upper body terms, it's the closest replication there is to the bowling action, and I often find I start the season better if I've done some swimming for a few weeks first, to get the chest and shoulders used to the rotation. Otherwise, I'm stiff as a board after the first few practice sessions/matches. I hasten to add I'm purely a recreational cricketer, but notice these things more now than when I was a bit younger! image Good run from you last night, tough in hot & humid conditions. Forecast for London looks oppressive for today too; a good few degrees cooler just 80 miles or so south west. Foot photos? Not so sure about that...

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - That is a valid point but there's too much happening here and I'm going to be focusing on other stuff with the running being an outlet and a fun thing. I like photo's of other threadites but prefer to see their feet in their training shoes!image

Landed in the Motherland yesterday afternoon and had a couple of hours to chill with my Mum and brothers before I headed down to do the 6k fun run/race. Unbelievable turnout and really pleasant change from racing in Jersey. No idea how many runners were there but must have been near a 1,000. Set off on a down section and ran the 1st k really hard to try make a break from a huge cluster of runners. It was clear from the off that there were about 30 or so serious athletes among the masses and two fast female runners, I knew the male runners ahead were too nippy for me so decided to track female No.2 . No.1 female was outta my league as she ran 20:38 last year for the 6k. Got into a nice rhythm and it was amazing to be running around the streets of the place were I played chasing as a boy and kicked footballs against the back gates of Guinness's brewery. I wasn't too bothered about my finishing time but wanted to run an honest hard race. Managed to catch female No.2 around 4k and put a surge in to see if I could drop her and overtook her about 5 other male runners. Looked at my watch around 5k and knew I was on for a better time than I expected and ran a very quick last k to finish in 22:33. Haven't seen the results yet but chip time will be similar as I started at the front, all in all pretty pleased with the run and it's one for the calendar.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Marrows - we have seen a lot worse manky feet on here 

Gerard -Nice racing back home image

Gul nice 5, I did the same myself tonight as a recovery ( much needed) and ran mostly on grass to ease the strain.image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great 6k GM. That's a better pace than your 5 pub IIRC?

Cracking night for me at the Avon 10 mob match. 3rd lady and an outright pb: 38.30ish but hopefully 38.2x. It is ARC and multi terrain so the usual po10 frustrations will apply but best of all it's about 90s faster than last year so bodes very well for Frankfurt image
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Marrows - very dextrous! Can you do any other tricks with them?

Jools - Excellent 10k running. A brilliant tune up race indicator for Frankfurt.

Poacher - Good luck at the coast

Speedy - How's the hip? Have you been able to find any pain free ways of training?

Slokey J - I can't even comprehend swimming the length of Ullswater! I've kayaked from Waterhead to Newby Bridge and back a few times over the years and have to admit that I'm much happier on the water, rather than in it!

Just back from a very wet and hilly bike ride. Pretended I was in the TDF. Ha

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Marrows - no!  You'll only encourage Poacher et al. I'll post a pic of my "Hallux Rigidus" if you lot don't behave ! 
    Gerard - pleased you had a very good race on familiar streets, but also that you enjoyed the family time .
    Jools - nice one ! As you say, hopefully a good indicator for Frankfurt. The disco lights and red carpet beckons . . . . .
    Looking forward to the Coastal reports . . .
    20.5 this morn - wet and sultry, thankfully no storms.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Impressive run Jools- looking good. Not so keen on the foot Marrows image

Thanks for the weather check Poacher- don't really mind, it's my favourite race whatever the weather. Hopefully under 1:30 this year after last years shocker of 1:35.

Paced junior to a comfortable victory at the parkrun today. The results show her as sub 20 minutes but we made it 20:10 which is still a PB and a top 10 finish.  It was a family affair as junior no. 2 also got a pb 29 minutes.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Poacher/OO - I've had to withdraw from the Coastal as I've not recovered from my chest infection enough to go for a little jog never mind a race. image   But, so long as its not pi$$ing down I will be at the end with a case of cold beer.... image

Successful hip consultant appointment on Thursday and MRI scans booked so I should have more answers within a few weeks. image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Save one for me Minni, followed by one of your famous hugs image

• Been lurking but not posting so I felt I needed to crawl out from underneath the covers and to say well done to Jools and GM and good luck to Minni but I'm not sure what to say to Marrows other than the fact that in Victorian times your feet might have been signed up for some sort of freak show!!

Bit of a one step forward, two steps back week for me. Managed to rekindle the running mojo sufficiently to get a number of runs in with a grand total of 30 miles over the last week but then sprained my right ankle (for the fourth time in the last 6 months) on Friday morning to put me right back on the bench. image 

Hopefully it's not as bad as last time, but certainly meant I couldn't do the Mile challenge that I'd signed myself and younger Lorenzito up for this morning. With hindsight this was possibly a good thing as he went round in just under 5:07 and would have left me trailing in his wake.

After that we decided that doing one mile wasn't sufficient so we headed up the motorway to the Iffley Road track (of Roger Bannister fame) as there was an open event on up there and he prompted clocked another sub 5:10 mile. What we hadn't realised when signing up to this was that it was also a British Milers Club event so we stayed on afterwards and managed to catch Hannah England, Marilyn Okoro and Charlotte Purdue (among others) in action - fantastic stuff to see stars like these at a relatively low key meeting.

Probably back on the bike tomorrow morning and will then see how the ankle is feeling - suspect I'll be sticking to the roads rather than the trails in future as I'm now a bit anxious about it happening again. Not good as I much prefer trail running, especially in the winter and I imagine that this means no XC either.