Sub 3h15

Comments

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Leslie - Great LSR, especially feeling stronger the further you got into it.

Abbers - I have to admit that cricket is way down the list of my sporting preferences, but your quad holding out despite your full 10 over allocation sounds impressive! Keep it steady on the mileage increases and all should be well.

Slokey - Excellent blog post about your tri build up and race day. Most inspirational.

TAR - New bike - lovely! 33 miles is nice going for your maiden voyage. 

Rennur - Hope the hip is just a niggle.

Gul - A haircut is also part of my training for today - ha.

7.1 yesterday with 12x400 (90 secs recovery) and more early morning biking today.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Rennur - if you are in need of the best sports massage ever, I have details for someone in the Bay Area. Just pm me. She is incredibly talented and effective.

• Got round to the Magic Mile, Friday 1st August is the Ealing Mile so will do that. Just looked at the results so far, 3:21 is the leading time from someone who lists "Too Fat to Run 1 Mile?" as her next event. Gul, reckon you are safe to say you will remain the only runner in King's Lynn doing the mile at 5:30 am.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good midweek 20.5 there, Leslie
    Onwards & upwards now, Abbers  . . . .
    Impressive work with the cycling, and especially the pullups, TAR
    hope that's nowt but a minor niggle, Rennur
    good work locating (and making) the facilities, VTr

12 mile "combo" here - inc 5 x 800m in park, then on road for a 2 mile tempo segment and a couple of 3/4 miles.  

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gul - if there's anyone other than you racing your magic mile, I'll be amazed! Would that be the go-faster racing hair cut?

SJ - nice little leg loosener you've got lined up there then! Nutter. image

TAR - always nice buying new toys, and well done on the PB distance first out.

Rennur - rest well, and come back strong.

VTR - shame about the interruption, but sounds like a good run overall with some decent distance and speed.

Fishy - yes, it's easy does it for now. Bowling at about 85% at the moment rather than running in properly hard, so will try ramping things up a little this coming Saturday (assuming the weather allows us to play). Nice intervals from you.

PMJ - any predictions for Ealing on Friday?

Birch - another racking up both miles and speed. I spot a trend developing.

Nothing too inspiring to report here, but another sweaty 5 bagged at lunch.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I’ll never work this running lark out.
    6 miles of running at lunchtime which comprised these intervals:
    400, 1 mile, 1 mile, 400 all with 400 recoveries.

Got a lifetime best on the 400 of 1.16 and a my two best ever miles of 6.08 and 6.04

All after 25 miles in the past 4 days of hot racing, 12 miles steady on Sunday, 7 mile hill session yesterday and a quality core and leg strength gym session on Monday. Mad!

Was hard work but just goes to show how the heat affected me on Saturday, I’m in good form right now.

SB

• Abbers wrote (see)

PMJ - any predictions for Ealing on Friday?

Faster than 6 minutes and slower than 5 minutes. To some extent I am still chasing miles (40 a week) and had a day off yesterday moving daughter #1 and will have a short day on Saturday (just a parkrun at Wimpole Hall near Cambridge) as I have to move daughter #2 so the mile is sandwiched between a 4.5 mile jog out and 4.5 mile jog back which compromises it a bit.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

TAR image 

PMJ, stop sandbagging! 5:15???

Nice one SB, when's your next race?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    SJ. Thames half in October. Inaugural event that is supposed to be fast and pancake flat. Want to give sub-90 a go. Did 91 on an undulating Surrey half course in March. PB is 1.30.28.

SB
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - good reps.
    PMJ - there have been a few runners around in the Walks recently, so you never know! What would be your ideal warm-up distance for a fast session? I usually do 3 miles.
    Birch - sounds like a good session.
    Abbers - yes, and a holiday hair-cut - two for the price of one!
    SB - great running. Sounds like sub 90 is there for the taking.
    2 mile recovery in new shoes this morning.

• Great performance from the Thunder Runners - podium finish and all the bling that goes with it. Definitely looking good for a trip to Durban next year eh?

Similarly awesome stuff from SJ - I still can't comprehend how anyone can keep going for that length of time. 

Thoughts go out to GM - not sure what to add, other than to encourage you to stick around here. 

Good luck to PMJ and Gul in their assault on the mile. I'm definitely nowhere near sub-6 pace at the moment, let alone sub-5:30, but I'm planning on doing the York parkrun on Saturday so will see how that goes. Will be happy with anything beginning with a 1!!

Looking at the scores on the doors for July shows a slight imbalance:

Bike miles: 675 (record monthly mileage) including longest ever ride on one day (150 miles)

Run miles: 67

PBs: none

Sprained ankles: one

Have changed our holiday plans from Israel to central Spain (Castilla y Leon) so will hopefully get some runs in before it gets too warm.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Morning all, some great training going on as usual.

Gul - new haircut and shoes, I hope they are go faster shoes and you smash that mile PB. It seems a bit soft to me but hey we will all find out tomorrow.

SB - Your doing really well, keep it going and sub 90 should not be a problem.

PMJ - Good luck with the mile and the moving various children around the place.

Lorenzo - Thanks, I appreciate that. Wise move on the change of holiday location.

MsE & Minni - Can't remember if I said congrats on the podium place in the TR. If not, well done ladies.

Abbers - Good to see you getting back to it.

Birch - You're very consistent with these miles you are clocking. Please remind me what your next A race is?

Fishy - You are going well to nice reps.

Rennur - Thanks.

Sorry if I missed anyone as this is a flying visit.

I am doing my best to stay healthy and focused but lack of sleep is making things less straight forward. Nowadays I run when I feel like it and it's good to have that. I removed myself from the equation here as things were not too good so I stayed two days with some special friends and feel better for it. One day at a time and all that. Went out last night for a 10k run and it was very warm again. Legs felt a bit heavy, put it down to fatigue, but 45 mins felt a lot harder than it should, but it was lovely just to be turning the legs over. Anyhow I will keep dropping in and hope you all remain injury free and enjoy your running. Cheers for now.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Tar- new bike and longest run nice one image

Renner- always the way isn't it , I got about 3 weeks hard training too this time image

VT- good effort especially with the tummy image

Gul-be shaving you legs next to get the last bit of speed image good luck tomorrow hope you get someone to race.

Fishy- good set of reps

PMJ- 3:21 can't be right image

Birch-good hard session

SB-the more you go the faster you get .so sub 90 is not far off now.

5 miles easy yesterday and 3 weeks approx to my mara , revised my target from 3:15 to somewhere between 3:30 and a finish image cant get back into shape in time.

• Monster read back achieved and the stand-out has to be SJ's Outlaw. Chapeau sir!

Glagow was awesome and I'm sat wearing one of the two T-shirts I ended up buying. I'm waiting for kitchen no. 2 to be delivered. Hope this one goes better!

I had physio on Tuesday last week and she said my pelvis was twisted and she put it back where it should be. I felt very sore and weak afterwards so didn't attempt a run and on Sunday walking around Glasgow I was very aware that I was not fixed, although on a day to day basis it has been much better. However, by the time we'd walked back to Glasgow from Hampden in the evening (no shuttle buses in sight!) both hips were hurting, which was actually an improvement. I woke up on Monday with no pain and decided to brave a little run on the treadmill. 30 minutes, quite slowly, hip flexor tight but no hip pain. So on Tuesday I braved an outdoors 'run'. Average pace about 10 min miling because I can't run downhill properly. I'm forefoot running on the injured leg and midfoot on the uninjured one, mainly because my legs are different lengths again. Pelvis clearly not in the right place. Hmmm. 

My referral on the NHS has come through for 20th August, which is flipping ages away, and it's miles and miles away from both home and work. 

Anyway, the athletics was brilliant and I loved seeing Marigold and my clubmate Amy Whitehead finishing top 10 in their marathons. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Ah, just back from easy 6 and Lorenzo reminds me it is last day of month; so - stats -
    miles = 211  (inc 20, 20.5, 21)
    races = 1 (massive PW, just realised it was my first ever 10K result starting with a 4 (45:28), but it was 12 years since last official 10K) image

Gerard, I don't have "A" races as such these days, but am aimimg for Mablethorpe in Oct, as a completion there puts me back on track to complete my 26th mara (one for every mile of the distance) at VLM 2015 (would be 13th LM, so a pleasing 50%symmetry) . Having done Manchester in April as my "comeback", I'm trying to carefully manage the beaten up legs to handle the spring-autumn-spring mara cycle, as it is many years since I did 3 back to back, so to speak.

Speedy - how is the hip ?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Wow - that's a spooky x-post, Speedy - you answered my question before I asked it !!! 

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Nice monthly stats, particularly your 150 bike ride. Have good hols.

Gerard - Glad you're keeping going with the running. A pleasant run in the sun should help with the equilibrium.

Leslie - I'm sure you've already posted it on here - but which marathon are you doing?

Speedy - sounds like Glasgow was a fantastic experience. I can only imagine how uncomfortable a twisted pelvis must be. Hope your physio and NHS appointments re-align everything for you.

Birch - Good set of stats there, particularly those three 20+ LSRs.

Took a leaf out of Jools' training manual this morning and swapped my weekend LSR to this morning. So 22.5 undulating miles this morning. I'm off for 2.5 weeks now, starting with a week in Cartmel from tomorrow, to coincide with my eldest son's wedding on Saturday - hope the weather holds. Then a days change over and a week in the sun in Gran Canaria. I'll be packing my running stuff for both excursions - looking forward to a change of running scenery. 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - well, good luck getting closer to 5 than 6!

SB - can identify with that target. Sounds like you're building nicely towards it.

Gul - new shoes as well? Pulling all the stops out! Looking forward to seeing what you can do in the morning.

Lorenzo - excellent monthly bike miles. That's a long way. Probably a good decision on the holiday plans too, always get a bit worried for my work colleagues in Jerusalem! Have a great time in Spain.

GM - no pressure for time or distance at the moment, just use your running as therapy and a release from everything else. Continued best wishes.

Leslie - go out at 3:30 pace, and re-assess at half way if you're feeling good? Get as far into the 3:20s as you can if all is well?

Speedy - Glasgow sounds great, would have been fab to see Marigold performing so well in an England vest at a major champs, and seeing a clubmate run well in that company must be an amazing experience too. Not so great about your hip though; hope you can get it sorted with some professional help.

Birch - very solid monthly mileage there. Building well.

Fishy - good LSR this morning. Have a great couple of weeks away at various locations, and enjoy the wedding - must be a very different perspective on events, seeing one of your children tie the knot!

6 easy for me today, noticeably cooler which made life easier, although still warm.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Fishy- its the Donegal mara ( Ireland) 24th aug , nice 22.5 miler proper long run that !

Abbers-sounds like a plan for me but stamping on the gas at halfway sounds very risky image

Lorenzo - that's a lot of cycling image

July stats - 195 miles ran and far too many sick days .

• Big post coming up trying to remember all the above that need replies plus report plus monthly summary.

Gul, 2 to 3 miles warm up for a fast one and then some strides.

My road mile PB is 5:23 compared to my track of 5:17. I'd be happy with 5.2x

July 175.92 miles in 22:38:49 hours at an average pace of 0:07:43. That is my slowest month for ages but a lot of it is easy stuff round races so bit surprising. Total for 2014 is now 1394 miles so now officially under 200 miles a month average. 2400 miles for the year was on at the outset but 91 miles in April cut back the chances of it coming off and these summer moths are usually in the 160 to 180 mile range so the spring buffer was used up way too quickly.

Club champs race yesterday and it was a midweek race over 5 x-country miles so the thought that it may be ill -attended proved true and good points were to be had. The race itself was very hilly and I was pleased at the end to see the average pace was the same as Saturday's pacing duties so 6:30 average. Came home third for the club: only annoying thing was that second home was a bit ahead but never too far ahead to give up chasing so I had to push all the way rather than coast home.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Hi all, not posted on here for a while but have been lurking.

Some great training going on as usual.

Well done to Slokey on a magnificent Ironman? Outlaw achievement, that is something to be proud off.

Congrats to Minnie and MsE on the thunder run.

Great bike miles Lorenzo.

Sorry to hear of your marriage problems GM, especially tough when children are involved. Best wishes to you.

Speedy, that hip doesn't sound too clever, hope you get it sorted. Hip/ Glute is usually my overuse injury.

Plenty of running for me this month as I've been following P&D 70-85 programme but with a few more easier miles than set out on the plan, for example I'm only running about half the LR and MLR at Mara pace + 20/10%, the other half just running easy at no more the 8mm.

Seem to be coping ok (feck, I've just jinxed myself!)

306 miles for the month and 1 rest day due to family commitments which is bloody unreasonable.

Keep up the good work people.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, new haircut and shoes...now you really will be superfast!

Fishy, good work on the quarters and LR. Enjoy the trip.

Birch, great combo run and good tally for the month (nice to see 3 20s in there already...I still need to get to the first one this cycle).

SB, PBs abound...great week for you.

PMJ, good luck whatever you settle on for a goal. Hope your legs are strong on the day. And nice mileage for the year.

Lorenzo, good mileage regardless of how you covered them!

GM, hang in there. Glad to hear you found some light the past few days.

Leslie, time may be running out, but you got some decent mileage in the past month regardless. I missed some time a few races ago and ended up surprising myself. I'd say just go out and run by feel (forget the splits). You may end up running the most enjoyable race ever (and not have to worry about the speed).

Speedy, all my good vibes for you. Good luck sorting it all out.

Moof, you are an animal. Monster miles. I like the idea of not running every LR/MLR with that 20/10 formula. Leave a little gas in the tank...

2 runs since the fateful day. No GI issues! 11M yesterday (pushed a bit fast and paid w/tired legs near end) and 7.5M today (all very easy...legs still a bit tired). Another subLT on schedule tomorrow. 233M for the month (1351 on the year)

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTR - Nice mileage there you're racking up. What does the subLT run consist of?

Moof - Hey, nice to hear from you and thanks.

Leslie - Nice mileage too. I stopped counting for a while now but will hopefully plan a big race next year.

Abbers - Consistently sensible, good on you.

Birch - I like your symmetry. That sounds wrong but you know what I mean.image

Tonight I went down to the west coast to watch a 5k race that I had planned to have a crack at pb wise. Didn't run but watched my friends and fellow runners suffer for it. It's the only point to point 5k in Jersey and runs from one end of the 5 mile road down to the other. I know that might sound confusing as it's only 5k but that's another story. My two mates came home in 2nd and 3rd. Cracking conditions to race but I love watching people run as much as I do love to run. Anyone else have that feeling about running? Right must get some sleep now. zzzz

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - nice bike mileage. Shame about Israel, but I'm sure you'll enjoy Spain.
    GM - good you have some close friends to support you.
    Leslie - probably wise to revise your target.
    Speedy - glad you enjoyed the athletics. Hope your injury woes are sorted out quicker than you fear.
    Birch - didn't realise you were planning to run Mablethorpe - might see you there if we both make it through the next 9 weeks!
    Fishy - excellent LSR. Enjoy the hols!
    Abbers - nice easy run.
    PMJ - good luck with the Ealing mile.
    Moof - good to hear from you - sounds like some good training has been going on. Which mara are you doing?
    VTr - good miles there!
    GM - sounds like a good evening out!
    Well, I had to give the pre-race talk to just myself this morningimage I did see another runner - in thick tracksuit and woolly hat?!!! Magic Mile went OK - seemed like a fairly even pace and ended up with 5:36, which I'm happy with. I think that's a couple of seconds slower than last year but not too surprising. Off to France this weekend for 11 days, so enjoy your running everyone and I'll catch up with you all later.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Gul- I'm running Abingdon again this year and have set the target at Sub 2.55 because Sub 3 was so last year.

Great mile pace btw, enjoy your holiday.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good monthly miles from Leslie, PMJ, VTR and especially Moof. Decent result for PMJ in the XC too.

GM - think running's one of those sports I'd rather be taking part in myself rather than watching, but then I think it's different if there are friends/family running for you to have a vested interest in cheering on. Sounds like a pleasant evening out regardless.

Gul - good mile recorded this morning. Seems like a suitable point to sign off for your hols! Have a good break.

July stats make for pretty poor reading, but that's mostly due to battling the quad strain for most of the month, so only just over 40 miles of running (most in the last 10 days) and 9.5k of swimming. Nothing to see here!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Nice mile time and enjoy your holiday in France.

Abbers - I know what you mean but I just think it's such a pure thing and it's the diversity of one runner to the next that I find intriguing.

• Great mileage racking there Moof and monster biking Lorenzo!

Thats a fast mile Gul. I suspect another crack at it in a week would be even quicker as your body understands what you're asking it to do.

Currently sat in the stands at Hampden Park stuffing my face with crisps. image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

10k easy does it tonight for me. Very warm again and went for a lovely dip in the ocean afterwards. Going to watch the Jersey Coastal ultra marathon tomorrow. 48 miles some off road and trail with some road as well. Record is 6:15. I doubt if it will be broken but there are a a few runners that I know who are fairly evenly matched but anything could happen over the distance and the terrain. Forecast is to be hot so hydration and nutrition will be key.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Moof- top mileage image

Gul- your flying and as said it takes a few goes to nail a 1 mile race  and you came first image

Abbers- on the way back by the sound of it.

Gerard- 48 miles that's a long way 

did the park run this morn for the first time in 6 months and ran 20:46 and 13th which is about 90 secs of my pb this year. Legs were not one bit interested in racing till someone  passed me in the last 50 meters managed to keep them behind me just long enough to hold on image Average hr 181, max 193 bpm.

32 miles ran this week.