Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good leg stretching, Leslie !
    Hope Gerard has a good day watching the "ultras"

21 here this morning - mercifully cooler than the last two Saturdays - legs still tired by the end, but not as drained physically.

• First Friday of the Month so Ealing Mile. 4.75 miles warm up, 5:32 slow mile and 4.75 miles cool down.

7am start this morning, drive 75 miles to parkrun. 19:27 over a toughish course at Wimpole Hall near Cambridge. The course looks benign but there is no single easy bit: the bits on road were rough road with cattle grids you had to bypass so drop off the road, long grass through a gate and back on: the flat grass bits were on cattle tracks through fields: there was the only hill in Cambridge to climb up and it was a double hill so once you were up and thought it was flat it was up again. Lovely scenic run though and I would recommend it if you are in the area. Winner had 57 runs at the course under his belt and definitely knew when to wait and when to go so I looked a bit silly coming in 4th when I had lead easily to 3km.

Packed daughter #2 into the car and brought her home for a couple of months. 10 minutes until she announced she was away for a week's course in London.

Legs starting to come back to me. The races recently haven't been at a standard to make me happy but have shown promise so I am hoping a rest over August and things will be good in the early autumn.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Still a decent run at your parkrun.

Birch - Nice miles again, glad the heat wasn't a factor on a run like that. I did enjoy watching but only saw the runners coming in at the finish as I had to take my son to football. The winner was a south African chap who has been here about 10 years. He is a very good runner but not many ultras under his belt. He won in 6:23 but was aiming fro under 6hrs. That's a big ask on that course, some of the hills on the North coast cliff paths are hard to walk up never mind run up. 2nd was a chap from York who looked like a veteran 50 at least. He finished in 6:42 but said he got lost for 10 mins or so. Weather was good for running up until a point in time, say 4 hrs in and then the sun came out. It was quite hot by the 6hr mark. Feel for the less speedy runners in those conditions. Mad I say the lot of them!

PMJ - You will find your speed again, although 5:32 for a mile is by means slow.

May head out for a run when it cools a bit, still 22c but feels a lot hotter than that.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

It's still hot out there so sacked my run in favour of a bottle of Jaipur IPA. Nice and cold. Yum. Will go for a long run tomorrow, well long for me, 10 miles maybe & see where the road takes me.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Ah, a Thornbridge beer - brewery not that far from here - they run this pub - a fine live music venue - you've made me head for the fridge now, Gerard . . . .

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - Nice one. I have never really been a lager man as I grew up at the back of Guinness brewery gates in downtown Dublin. The black stuff ran through my veins for many a year ( I only started drinking when I was 19) but back then things were never black and white and now I have really become quite partial to an IPA. Lovely stuff and although wine is my drink of choice I can have a few Ales and I'm quite satisfied. I'll never forget as a kid playing football at the back of St. James's gate near the brewery and seeing the pigeons literally act like flightless birds. One day I asked my father why they would suddenly fall off the walls etc and he told me that was because they were born here and that was their way of life. Only in Ireland would you see that and tbh I can't blame them because it's very moreish. Hope your fridge is well stocked up.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Dammit. Lost my post!

I sense the parkrunners are a little disappointed but hope they remember that they will reap the benefits in the future.

Nice 21st, Birch.

10 including a 3k season's best of 10.46, just outside my phone of 10.43. No-one I could catch to chase or chasing me so I'll take that.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - Well done, that's a great 3k time. You are really doing well and long may it continue.

• Sounds a tough parkrun this morning PMJ. 

Nice going Jools - you're developing a bit of a taste for these 3Ks!

OK parkrun in York for me this morning. No real speed sessions for the past couple of months meant it was going to be a struggle so I guess I can't complain with 19:30, a good 45s outside my PB.

As it turned out, I was the only one of the Lorenzo clan not to get a PB with Mrs L shaving a Bubka like 3s of her PB and younger Lorenzito taking about 20s off his time to finish 4th in 18:05. Not that he rubbed the scale of his victory in of course!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good story, Gerard image

Excellent 3K, Jools, - had you been celebrating afterwards ?  --
    " a 3k season's best of 10.46, just outside my phone of 10.43" 

Fine family racing by the Lorenzo mob . .

will head out later to shake out my legs after y'day's long one . . . .

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Birch: no, just bloody predictive text!  Turns out I'd misremembered my pb and I actually equalled it with 10.46.  Hurrah!

First 20M of the campaign on very tired legs in an unimpressive 2.49 but the main thing is it's done and proper marathon training has now begun.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Always pleasing to get the first 20 bagged, Jools - a good weekend's work !

7 easy here to round off 58 mile week. 

• 8 miles here, 3 laps of a flat park. The longer I ran for the less my hip/upper leg/whatever the hell it is hurt, but the more I struggled due to lost fitness. I think this cross training thing is a myth!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Some good efforts going on. I've been out of circulation for a few days, with family visiting me in Geneva- keeping fit but not much to report. Some reading back to do... 

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, nice mile mark!

Leslie, well done kicking at the finish.

Birch, another solid week. Glad to hear you are adapting to the LR.

PMJ, great week for you. Fast mile and strong effort on a tough course.

Joolska, congrats on the PB and good job getting the 20 miler in on tired legs

Speedy, I agree. If I'm not running, I lose my mojo regardless of whatever else I may do. Glad you are running though.

GM, a subLT is basically a long tempo run. You try to keep the HR at a set effort (right now I'm at the 80-83% range) for 10M (bracketed with warmup/cooldown miles). The idea is that this is MP and you run these just under LT to get comfortable at the pace and effort and importantly to slowly push your LT up. When you can do these w/out drift in HR or pace (and feel you could keep going), you move the effort up another 5 bpm (HR) and start again. Ideally you get to 87% of maxHR and then you are ready for your marathon. Personally, I've never gotten over the 83% mark when race day has come. I had another good subLT session in very hot/humid condition Friday. And today got in 21M. Kept effort and pace reasonable (8:16 m/m at 68% maxHR) and felt utterly fresh through the whole distance. Only scare is my right hip flexor (or something in there) has been a little tight the past few days. Stretching helps, but I don't like it one bit.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    VTrunner- is that Hadd training you are following and do you run the marathon based on your heart rate zone?

20 miles for me this morning P&D stylee, first 15 at a nice comfortable 8-8.10 pace and the last 5 at 7.30 mm felt a lot tougher than l was expecting. I think the higher mileage is making my legs feel heavy.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - That's a nice weekly mileage there. Well done, you seem to be able to get it done. Very impressive stuff.

Lorenzo - Nice park running by you & your family, it's a real blessing that you all have that get up and go in you.

Jools - Hurrah re your 3k. That's a very good time and glad you bagged your 1st 20 miler of the campaign.

VTR - Thanks for sharing that as I have no experience whatsoever of HR training. I love stats and stuff like that but have never really delved into that spectrum. Nice LR.

OO - Hope you are enjoying the benefits of being out there.

Today was a very rough day for me. I am off work next week on holiday, so today we decided that we would break the news to our son. I have never felt so heart sore in all my life. Luckily we live in a beautiful place so afterwards we spent a few hours on the beach in the water having fun and just living. Sadly it turns out that there is a 3rd party involved but hey sh1t happens. My main focus now is my son and maintaining my health and rebuilding my life. Sorry for the heavy post but it helps somehow.

Right, back to running - I had planned a long run but it didn't pan out that way. I did 5k and it was warm but not roasting and I ran to feel as opposed to Garmin watching. I wore my Timex and ran 2.5k out in 10:55 and then back in 10:10. Was pleased with that as it felt like a good work out but very controlled. Right now I am so glad I am fit and the only positive thing about a bad break up is the weight loss. I am 4kg's lighter than I was a month ago and its good because I am not starving myself at all but just eating well. Night all.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, missed you on the last post. Pretty awesome family event. I'd say you did well considering no speed work prior.

Moof, yes, HADD based training. I should have posted a link GM. This takes you to the first page of the HADD thread and has links to the theory for this particular approach (warning...lengthy read). http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/hadd-training-method/260438.html

Also GM, can't imagine doing what you had to do today. Hang in there.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Not been here for a bit as all 3 jobs have car crashed together (working nights and days at the same time, nice). No running but lots of XT as job no.3 is garden design/creation and involves back-breaking shifting of soil, trees, giant paving slabs etc.

Enough of a read back to say congrats on excellent training/racing by so many. Birch - only 26? Got some catching up to do image 
    Gul - great effort.
    Moof - staggering mileage.
    Minni/MsE - excellent thundering and thundering. Minni I know a bit about ultra-eating, will share thoughts with you if and when you finally commit to SA image
    Lorenzo - shame about Israel, fascinating country whatever one makes of the geopolitics. 
    And most of all GM - all strength to you in holdings things together at such a tough time. 

Right, soil to shift, bindweed to kill image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sorry that this is a sub-3 c+p, but...:

I'm nominating myself for a Sergei Bubka Excellence Award, as it turns out I ran a 3k pb on Saturday by 0.3s image

(I'm also nominating myself for a Dozy Git Award, because I'd misremembered my pb and, sadly, thought I was better at 3ks than I am.)

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Must be building up for autumn marathon season or something... excellent LSRs from Birch, Jools (to go with the 3k PB), VTR and Moof.

Also good parkruns clocked up by Leslie, PMJ (as well as a very respectable mile) and the family Lorenzo.

Good to see Speedy out and about again; think there's general CV fitness, and then running fitness, but they must complement each other. It'll soon come back I'm sure.

Poacher - most of us have our hands full with 1 job, never mind 3! Not surprised there's a bit of competition for time. Good luck juggling all that!

GM - the Jersey ultra sounds tough (like there's such a thing as an "easy" ultra!). Continued best wishes with your personal situation; another extremely tough hurdle cleared at the weekend, and don't think twice about posting on here if it helps.

The pattern of the summer continued at the weekend, when glorious sunshine gave way to heavy rain just in time to wash out cricket on Saturday, so we've now missed 5 out of 13 league games in what has generally been a dry summer. Very frustrating. Still, got out for 9+ undulating miles over the trails in the Forest early yesterday morning which is the furthest I've run for several weeks, and felt good to be out there on such a fantastic day.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gosh it's quite on here today!

Spent a lovely day with my son today on the beach just swimming, chilling, playing footie, eating ice cream etc. He is going to be absolutely fine. Just turned six and sport mad just like his Dad. I am fit but find it hard to keep up with him, very fatigued for obvious reasons but having done a fair bit of swimming and playing football and running I needed a rest and he couldn't contain himself and said " Dad would you mind if I asked those teenagers if I could join them and paly some football"? Very brave little soul and full of confidence to and they were quite impressed with his skills. Gold!

Got back and went for a run, another 5k jaunt tonight average 6:49mm pace. They really are my favourite type of runs and I like that feeling when you feel like you are actually moving with some effort. Very sweaty afterwards as it was 23c at 6pm here but nothing a few IPA's didn't fix.

Abbers - That's an unlucky streak with the cricket. Glad you are back running and enjoying the great outdoors.

Jools - image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - think everyone else must be off on their hols! Either that or they're ignoring us... image  Sounds like you had a good day yesterday. A lot to be said for beach living in the summer!

Off out for 5.5 on the Forest trails again yesterday evening, after my daytime training window had been lost to work and hospital appointments. More of the latter to come over the next couple of weeks, but it should provide peace of mind rather than anything to worry about!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Joolska- 0.3 sec thats cutting it fine alright !

Gerard- sounds like you are having fun.

Im Taking some more rest days and going to see the doc see if they can prescribe some energy for me .
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie - Guinness and Lucozade (not necessarily in the same glass). Should sort out glucose and iron requirements! image

6 easy miles at lunch.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Tough one GM, you are right to focus on the young one it's always toughest for them, so best if you can keep him out of the tangle as much as possible. I'm sure the running is helping- as a distraction if nothing else.

6 mile plod in the heat for me. I had a rest yesterday as my body is showing some fatigue the last few days.

Is anyone doing the Great North Run this year? It's my focus for the coming weeks.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTR - Thanks for the link, I will defo check it out.

Abbers -  Yep, I think you are right. It is the time of year when half of Europe goes on holiday. Nice to bank a 6 mile easy run on lunch. Definitely not Guinness and Lucozade in the same glass.image

Leslie - Yes I am having fun with my son in the sun. Played tennis today and some more beach football and then some swimming.  It's a blessing really that it is summer.

OO - Indeed it is. I am doing my best. Would really like to GNR one day.

5k run tonight for me again, this time less taxing pace of 7:18mm. Nice run and hooked with a friend and great runner who I haven't seen for some time. Just keeping things ticking over at the mo and plan to run most days to stay in the game.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes GM it's easy to know when to build up, much harder to know when to take it easy, especially when you are running well. I'm taking it easy this week but will try and blast the parkrun on Saturday, then 4 weeks build up to the GNR. Not sure how many I've done, around 15 I'd guess.   

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hola!

Poacher - I will commit to Comrades once you get that stupid job situation sorted out! How can you be running your best working day and night? Get the priorities sorted. Life is too short. Hope you're ok after the car crash?

Speedy - my hip is the same. Pain wears off. Mine had actually felt a million times better since Thunder Run and is now really only hurting in bed.

OO - I have a GNR place. It will be disastrous after no training for the past few months!

I did a few short runs last week and could feel lots of niggles after TR but a sports massage on the beach seems to have put me right and did 70 minutes yesterday. I like hot weather running!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    GM - just had a read back and sorry everything is so shit. The boy is the priority now and it sounds like you're into that.

Lorenzo - will the young Lorenzo choose the Uni with the best parkrun on hand? When Miss Minni visited York I did a 17 mile run and it was all flat! I loved it.