Sub 3h15

Comments

• SJ - that session sounds hard to remember what you're meant to be doing, let alone do it!

And I won my first Scottish race tonight, the Ceres 8. It had loads of bloody hills in. I think this is going to be a theme. But the prize was a massive cake the size of my head, a bottle of wine and thirty quid, so it was all worth it in the end.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - I'm glad you got to turn the legs over today with some fast running.

SJ - Wow that's a good sesh!

Lit - Nice win and nice prize winnings too!

I decided I would rock up and do a 10k race tonight. It was a last minute decision and given all the sh1t that has been going on I thought it would be good to run and realy wanted to run it with a good friend of mine. I arrived late and just missed the start by about 2 minutes. I legged it and managed to reel in the back markers fairly soon. I picked off another 6 or so runners after about a 2k and then latched onto my mate who was not having a good run. He ran 20 miles the day before so I'm not surprised. I managed to find a nice rhythm and he followed. We gradually increased the pace along the way and put in a few surges every half k or so in an attempt to catch the only other runner we could see. It was a very undulating course and was quite windy too but I felt good. My mate was now finding his rhythm and with 2k or so to go we went past the other runner. I didn't have my garmin on but reckon I was about 400m or so short of the distance. 38:33 on my stopwatch and my mate had 41:2x on his but the time was irrelevant we ran together and he said afterwards that he would have run at least two minutes or so slower had I not turned up. It was a lovely run and when I am back in the game I will be targeting a quick 10k later in the year. Can't wait!!

• Good pace setting GM.

Congratulations Lit! image What an excellent assortment of prizes too... Very well done.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Lit - you've not wasted any time in getting back to prize-winning ways!

Sounds like a tough course, GM, so bodes very well for a flat race.

Dull double for me yesterday: 4M + 6M.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - It was, I omitted to mention that, 1k into the race we did a 90 degree turn and proceeded to run about 200m across a wonky strip of farm land. That's a very Jersey thing. The courses are bizarre at the best of times. I am looking forward to doing a 10k in the UK next year. I may have to pick your brains closer to the time.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - that's a tough session. Well done on getting it bagged.

Lit - good win, and even better prize haul! Sounds like running north of the Wall could be profitable for you.

GM - excellent run from you too. Sub-40 definitely on the cards on a quicker course and without missing the start!

Jools - are doubles standard for you these days in mara prep?

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

SJ - nice one.. but if you can actually do it maybe you need to reevaluate your '10K pace'/'1500m pace'!

Well done Lit and GM too!

Easy double (8M+7M) for me too yesterday, now feeling nicely recovered from Sunday's bike race.. ahem, sorry, not race..  I know I must have looked super on last night's run cos a man on the street shouted COME ON WORK IT BABY.

I am thinking of entering Oxford HM in October - anyone done it? It has mixed reviews, good course but dodgy organisation, and would be backup for me 2 weeks after another half.  What do you think about 2 HMs two weeks apart?

and is it true that most Americans do not know the word 'fortnight'?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Marrows - no idea about Americans and 'fortnight'. I work with a group from Atlanta though, so will try to remember to ask them at some point! Good work on the double too. As for Oxford, I ran it in 2012, which (I think) was only the 2nd time it had been held. As you say, good course, pretty much flat and some scenic parts running through Oxford, and along the river, and some not-so-pretty bits, such as running through the Mini plant (but they're headline sponsors, so can't grumble too much). Organisation has been criticised in the past, with long queues for baggage reclaim and the like, but it was easy enough if you finish in the first couple of hundred, so you shouldn't have any issues. I think they improved things last year, which was needed as the field also grew. Print out of your chip time straight after you finish too. They've tweaked the route this year so that it incorporates a lap of the Iffley Road track where Roger Bannister  broke the 4 minute mile, rather than just running past it as in previous years. It's still my PB course, so I have a soft spot for it! Might run it myself, but autumn plans still undecided.

• Good challenge Marrows. I've taken the paces from a Vdot calculator relative to a 2:58 marathon so trying to train to the pace I want to hit. If I start to find those paces easy I'll ratchet it up a bit but I'm quite a way off that! (and don't want to be over exuberant and break something)

"Come on work it baby" is not a line anyone has ever used on me. Not sure why.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well, as your token American on this thread, I've heard of it.image

I've not been told to "come on work it baby" either. But did get yelled at repeatedly yesterday on my run. Went out for one of the subLT sessions at 10 pm. Lot of folks yelling, "YEAHHHHHHH" out their window at me as I flew by w/my headlamp on. Worries of twisted ankles aside, was a really cool way to do that workout. 12M w/10 right at 7 m/m...no HR rise and felt frisky throughout. Nice things happening.

For all you Brits, I read "Citizens of London" recently. What a crazy time it must have been to live in London during the Blitz. And reading about the British-American relations during WWII it's a wonder they prevailed.

Lit, great win in your new turf!

GM, well paced for sure. Must have felt good.

SJ, got tired just reading that description. Well done on the fast stuff. Are you feeling fairly recovered now or still working back to full capacity?

Abbers, coming round nicely. Always nice to open things up a bit, eh?

OO, blazing time in the last race! You are consistently consistent.

Birch, great racing from you too. Work with what you have...all you can do.

Joolska, excellent work on the PB and nice LR to follow it.

Marrows, what a ride. Long way on the bike.

Leslie, really sorry to hear things are off for your planned race. Hopefully you can take what you've banked and put it into another soon.

Speedy, sorry to hear you are still shelved.

• 13.36 miles at lunch, first run over 13 miles since end of March. Starting to think about form again.

Anyone know much about strava etiquette on segments? I cross a lot of segments and wonder if I should target one segment a day an get the course record or if that is bad form and should do my runs and let the segments happen.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You might as well be talking another language PMJ image

Great effort GM

I doubled y/day too 3+7. Rested today though, just a 10 mile walk at plod pace

• Nice night time pacey stuff VTR. It's strangely satisfying when non-runners think you are a nutter.....

yes, feeling well recovered thanks - I had a full week off with plenty of sleep and lots of food and am now feeling great. Felt very strong on Sunday whilst running quickly up muddy hills in the woods, some bits were really quite effortless. I think the drop from 14 hours training per week to closer to 7hrs last week has helped inject some bounce into the legs too. Also, the sustained volume over the past 10months including many days of 5hrs plus training have significantly boosted my ability to recover. Just need to convert the fitness to road speed.....

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

LIt- good to see you have getting your 5k pace more inline with your mara pace.

VTR- is that 10 at mara pace, good pace that ? I've banked near 4kg over the last month not sure that will help in the next race image

PMJ- another mara on the cards then ?

Slokey- 11k at 10k paceimage that's the way to do it alright, must be on form.image

0 miles covered so far this week might be able to beat that though before the weekend I hope ,physio booked to sort my knee that's been sore for a very very long time which due to no running last 10 days isn't sore now image

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

PMJ - forget those scruples. Check the wind direction before you choose your segment for the day, and always get a flying start: I think the clock starts ticking as soon as you enter the segment, not when you leave the start so if you stand at the start for a minute and then go, that minute is included in your time.

• marrows wrote (see)

PMJ - forget those scruples. Check the wind direction before you choose your segment for the day, and always get a flying start: I think the clock starts ticking as soon as you enter the segment, not when you leave the start so if you stand at the start for a minute and then go, that minute is included in your time.

I had that in mind but still seem to be missing a few things. I was out yesterday in Richmond Park (so maybe your stomping ground) and I do like the run from the the Star and Garter, down Sawyer's Hill to Roehampton Gate which is about 1.7 miles. I was only out for a gentle run and my 11:47 at 6:52 pace puts me 49th. OK, so if I gave it some I reckon I could get down to under 10 minutes on this but 10 dead would put me 10th on the segment, WTF! How much faster do I need to go, so the top is 3:55 for 1.7 miles: http://www.strava.com/activities/176419601

Seems cyclists cannot use strava so we get all their muck on the running tables.

• OK, so I flagged the obvious outliers and now 10 dead would get me second overall. First is 7:55 for 1.7 miles downhill at 4:37 pace which was on a 1:18 run of two laps of Richmond Park (13.5 miles at 5:49 pace). Run or cycle, all on the road, looks like a cycle.

• Celebrating! SJ#3 nailed his A levels and is off to study Medicine image 

Great way to kick off my summer hols image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Miss Minni also nailed it and off to study midwifery. Celebrated her 18th yesterday and last night with all her friends and today they have all got into their chosen Unis. Very emotional morning!

Well done SJ3!
  • Well done to MsMinni! image 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Just a quick well done to SJ & Minni on what must be a very proud parent moment! Congrats to SJ#3 and Miss Minni. image

• Daughter number 3 is a year behind the others, congrats to them all, so AS level results today. 3 A's and a B and she has a smile on her face. 100% in two maths papers as well puts a smile on my face.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

VTR - can't imagine living with that kind of threat night after night (my grandparents did). Seems like a different world, but it really wasn't that long ago. Excellent late night run from you.

OO-51 - nice doubling & walking.

PMJ - no idea on Strava, but congrats to daughter #3 on her AS results too.

SJ - you sound very fit at the moment, which I suppose is only to be expected given the volume of training you've put in over a sustained period. More power to you.

Leslie - hope the physio can sort your knee issues.

After a head MRI first thing this morning, no news yet on whether they actually found a brain in there, it was time to let off a little steam at lunch so ran a 7 miler with alternate easy/hard miles. The hard miles came in at 6:22, 6:22 and 6:20, so pleased with that given the recent injury lay off and lack of speed for a couple of months.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Many congratulations to Miss MinniSJ3, and PMJ3!

I have running to report.  It is a start. 14 (av 8m/m) with middle 8 @ tempo which, according to Hansons, should be MRP.  They ranged from 7:24m/m to 6:51m/m but all felt the same effort. Life is funny like that.  I definitely won't be racing with a Garmin on.  Too risky chasing numbers with my injury history.

Super racing from Literatin and marrows of late.  ::fist pumps fellow chicks:: image

• Nice one MsE - glad to hear you are back in the proverbial saddle.

Quality comeback running from Abbers too.

Tonight's session was 1mile w/u, 4miles at HMP (1:25 pace), 1m easy, 2m at 10K pace (38.5min pace), 1m c/d.  Felt ok until the last half mile of the 10k pace bit when it became a touch uncomfortable but dug in and could have gone on further (but not much). That'll do.

• Quality bottle of red is currently breathing image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Had a good read, will just say congrats to jnrs SJ, Minni & PMJ, and double congrats for the dedicated parents who have got them there. Congrats also to Lit the job-getting fast-running person.

Lorenzo - got that pass yet? 

SJ - I drove over Honister several times last week - the thought of running it is mind-boggling! Did you enter the ultra?

My joke about the metaphorical car crash of having too many jobs came sadly true 2 days ago.....in slow traffic on the way to job #1 in Salford a daydreaming idiot smashed into my tailgate at speed in a very large and powerful Merc. I'm sure the seatbelt/headrest prevented a really nasty outcome. Result: minor whiplash and an undriveable car which is a lot shorter than it was. Could have done without this.

Working now in London - absolutely biblical rain down here but ran tonight along the embankment...visualising this scene on a sunnier day next April, packed with crowds and less than a mile of VLM to run...bring it on!

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20140814_190226.jpg

• Bad news on the squished car Poacher but good news that you are relatively intact. Yes, ultra entered and I'm looking forward to it. Only 35 miles so barely counts.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Back off holiday - had a great time, even though we queued for 2 hours to go from junctions 3 to 2 on the M25 and then went through the worst sustained torrential rain I have ever seen on the M11 image Now trying to catch up.
    Leslie - nice return to parkrun. I haven't run one in months either.
    Birch - another excellent LSR.
    PMJ - good back to back racing with the Ealing mile and parkrun.
    GM - sounds like it would have been very tough for the ultra runners.
    Jools - great 3k. Just outside your phone? Ah, I see. A PB after all too! Nice 20 miler.
    Lorenzo - good family outing to parkrun.
    Speedy - good to hear you're out running again.
    Moof - still a good 20 miler.
    GM - can't imagine how tough it must be for you. Hang on in there.
    Only another 11 days to go! Had a nice 6 miler this morning including a couple of faster miles. A bit different from jogging to the boulangerie and back!