Sub 3h15

Comments

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

OO- Rapello, awesome. I had a great holiday staying in Sestri Levante a couple of years ago. Liguria is beautiful and one of the most underrated destinations in Italy in my view.

Not running but I reckon it would be pretty awesome for cycling...

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Abbers, yes, no visits to the fizz recently. PF and TFL calm now. Had some other hip weirdness last week but the LR magically made it disappear. Legs haven't felt this intact in a while (knock wood!!). Off for some MP in the Hokas....

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

So not sure if it was the shoes or me finding a new gear tonight. But 13 miles w/10 at averages of 6:46/m and HR of 80%. No fatigue and could have kept on going (which has been rare on these runs to this point).

The Hokas had me bouncing all over in the first mile at speed. Kind of surprised me. Then I focused on really pushing into my steps and things straightened out in a hurry. Hard to describe but these shoes just seem to eat up the roughness of the road, particularly on downhills. You can push into it and not have any heavy impact. Also, my cadence was higher than usual and seemed to be easier to keep up the frequency as the shoes just seemed to bounce a bit for light, happy feet.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - nice MP run.
    Abbers - hope you survive the remainder of the cricket season!
    GM - hope the recovery goes well. Mablethorpe is definitely on barring any injuries.
    VTrunner - stormer of a run, there.
    Posting a bit late, but 12 miles d&d at the usual time this morning - 6 slow and 6 easy.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

What the difference between slow and easy Gul?

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Goes off to Google models of Hokas...

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - you've got some very good local triathletes there. Must be great to be world class at something (anything!). As for HMs, I'm vaguely considering Bournemouth on October 5th or Oxford on the 12th, but that depends on how fit I can get through September (next week will be a blank due to family camping holiday). More likely, I'll end up running Gosport in November, with the Lordshill 10 miles a couple of weeks before as a range finder.

OO-51 - the running benefits cricket, but don't think it works the other way round! Bowling is too much of an unnatural action, putting strain through all sorts of parts of the body that don't otherwise deal with that kind of movement or stress.

Fishy - do you still play squash, or has that been sidelined in favour of more running?

VTR - good news you seem to be healthy again. That's an excellent run; think you've started a thread stampede to the nearest Hoka stockist!

Gul - good solid 12, as usual.

6 easy today, Achilles still complaining, but I'm not listening. My calf was ridiculously tight last night, so I dug my thumbs into it for a bit. Not sure if the tight calf is causing the Achilles problem, or the other way round!

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Abbers, have you been stretching your calves really well? What seems to work for me is to squat down on my heels, then slowly lean forward so all my weight shifts onto the front of one of my feet. Then you can push so that you are on each part of the front of your foot (think working the little toe area, then the middle toes, then the big toe). That should really stretch out the calves (in addition to standard wall stretching w/leg straight or bent). The other thing that really helps is to do eccentric calf exercises (stand on the stairs on just the front of the foot and slowly lower body, then use both legs to go back up and repeat). Those couple of moves have really helped me w/tight calves and a lot of the assoc. problems. Thought I'd throw it out just in case you weren't already doing these.

Gul, I'm dialed in for slow and/or easy for today and tomorrowimage

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

VTR - cheers for the stretching tips. I do a bit, but like most runners, probably not enough! The heel drops on the stairs are something I started to do a while ago but have lapsed; must make an effort to get them back into the routine.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Abbers I had a friend who was apparently a good bowler and ended up with serious issues and operations on his knee. He was about 17 stone the last time I saw him.

6 easy miles today...

• I used to do loads of stretching and was often injured. When I got my hip diagnosis at the start if this year I stopped stretching completely and haven't had a twinge (other than from my hip) since. Tempting fate by writing that no doubt.

3k swim set this morning. Tonight's run was 1.5 mile w/u followed by 4 x 2K at 10k pace off 400m recoveries and then 1K at 5K pace followed by 1 mile cool down. Felt surprisingly manageable.

Right, off on my hols in 5mins for a week in the sun. Might have internet access but might not. Run well everyone. Ciao.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

SJ, I like very much the idea of not having to stretch. Build in eliminating my normal physical therapy exercise stuff plus core and hip work and I could really save some time.

Also, interesting speed/tempo work you do. Is this in preparation for shorter stuff or still marathon distance? Nice session today BTW.

Enjoy your break!

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Abbers - Haven't played squash in years. Ended up with too many ankle and knee niggles.

Slokey - Nice double work outs today - have great hols.

VT/Slokey - Your reviews are going to end up making this thread the sub 3:15 in Hokas thread! VT great midnight run for you.

I stretch calves, quads and hammys after each run, but not after biking. Nippy early morning biking for me today.

• I've set up camp in an airport hotel bar ready for my early morning flight. image 

VT, I'm prepping for a marathon. I've lifted the quality sessions out of one of the schedules from the Hudson/Fitzgerald book and ditched all the easy running to keep the volume down for injury prevention. I'm gambling on having enough base / cardio fitness already in the bank so just trying to sharpen up. Sub 3 on under 40miles per week? Interesting experiment*.

Fishy, recovery from anything long is noticeably quicker with Hokas too. The only downside is that they are really ugly.  Next race is off- road and my Hokas are roady ones so I'll be wearing my Salomon S-Lab Ultra Sense shoes which are the finest shoes I've ever owned. 

* I don't really have another option.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - I'd call the slower end of general aerobic slow, probably akin to P&D's MP+20% (or a recovery run in fact), whereas easy would be around MP+10%.
    Abbers - sounds painful!
    VTr - enjoy your slow/easy run!
    SJ - Nice session to prepare for your hols - have a good one.
    4 mile recovery run d&d.

• I will be parkrun tourist at Lanhydrock parkrun this Saturday as somehow we have booked a holiday Friday to Friday a few miles awayimage

I am starting to get the medium long runs going again so another 13 at lunchtime, faster than last week and felt easier even with a headwind on the second half which messed up the pace no end. May enter the Maidenhead Half after all for a few points in the club champs.

Gul, how is the marathon plans going now: Mablethorope count down says 6 weeks, 2 days so a few 20s in the next 2 or 3 weeks should be the icing you need.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Abbers wrote (see)

6 easy today, Achilles still complaining, but I'm not listening. My calf was ridiculously tight last night, so I dug my thumbs into it for a bit. Not sure if the tight calf is causing the Achilles problem, or the other way round!

Typically, calf pulling the Achilles and the tight calf is typically caused by an inactive or poorly functioning glute.  With me, it was also a rubbish set of lats and inactive psoas which I constantly have to switch on.  Without seeing your bum, I would suggest loosening the calf (foam rolling, self massage) and working on glute strength (lunges, glute bridges, dyna band exercises) to see if that helps over the next few weeks.

GM - happy healing.  Hang in there.  Keep reporting.

Happy hols, SJ!  For some runners, too much laxity can be a problem which is why not stretching may be helping you.  I wouldn't recommend it generally though.  As I get older I feel it more important together with the strength work.

Now I shall stop being so bossy and re-lurk.

PS I am marathon training still. Hurray!  Today was 12 with 8@ tempo to bring the total av to 8m/m.  Feels good to be running again. image

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Belated congratulations to the thread offspring on their A-Level results!

MsE - lats as in the ones high up in your back?

One physio did suggest that I steer clear of yoga lest it unhinge my hips even more, but that was a few years ago and I feel less flexible now.

Get well soon, Leslie.

Hokas just look ridiculous.  Like flumps.

I had a day off yesterday, dangling jelly babies in a cup on a string for someone who was swimming the channel.  There's proper endurance! 10K race tonight and I'm very sleepy (the swim started at 3am).

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Yes, the latissimus dorsi, marrows.  They are quite large muscles and help me engage my shoulders correctly now I know what I have been doing wrong all my life. image

Hokas are soooooo popular back in California.  In fact (boring fact) one of the models is named after Stinson Beach where I lived in a beach house for my final months there.  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Evening all. Spent the evening having root canal done and to be honest didn't feel a thing as my leg my bl00dy killing me, probably just as well! Things going OK but moving valong a rate of knots. Soon to be ex wife is moving out in 10 days with my son into her new amour's place. Weird but I must say I am no longer on the floor like I was a few month's ago and feeling positive about the future.

Yes Hokas are not aesthetically pleasing to the eye but I've heard many people rave about them. I recently treated myself to a new pair of Sketcher's Go Ride 3 and I must say I am very happy with them, very light which is the 1st thing I look for in a shoe but really cushioned feel too.

Anyhow must dash or rather hobble!
  • interesting fact that MsE, especially since they are the ones I have. I think my lack of injury in the past few months has been more due to the fact that I've run less, any running has been off-road and I've done a lot more cross training. Any stretching does aggravate things though (for me) so that has also played a part but isn't standard advice. Good to have you back.

Marrows, a channel swim is hardcore. I'm tackling Ullswater (7.5miles) in a couple of weeks which is very tame in comparison. 1hr in the hotel pool frightening the other tourists with my exuberance this afternoon as preparation.  image 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Said it before but ((GM))

SJ very impressed by your aquatic adventures. I took the kayak up to Buttermere/Windermere a couple of weeks ago. Sublime to be on water and surrounded by mountains

Not much running here, too busy, the upshot of the car crash was that mine was a write off so spent this week trying to replace it. Thanks again to the headrest/sealbelt which saved me from serious injury.  30m last week, just realised the Yorkshire mara is fairly soon. It's gonna be slow - Minni are you going to pace me round?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

In other news: I have an entry for the Abingdon Marathon (Sunday October 19th) which I can't use due to work commitments. It's a fast course (3 runs & 3 PBs for me).

The organisers allow transfers so if anyone's interested, DM me. Happy to offer first refusal on this thread. Entry was £38 (affiliated) 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - good MLR. Yes, planning to get the first LSR done this weekend, although I am out on this evening, so not too hopefully about getting up at 4am tomorrow morning. Enjoy the holiday.
    MsE - nice tempo run.
    marrows - hope the 10k race went OK.
    GM - you are going through a really tough time - well done on keeping positive.
    SJ - nice holiday swimming.
    Poacher - I have my sights firmly set on Mablethorpe now. Shame you can't make Abingdon.
    10 steady miles d&d - which for OO and any others interested that's around MP+5%. (Still don't know what MP is though).

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - Glad you are ok and thanks.

Gul - I'm guessing that was about 7:3x pace for your 10 miler? I, like you, never really know what MP should be as I've never managed to complete a full marathon trainng campaign. Glad you are doing MT mara and good luck with your LSR. Yes, things have changed dramatically in my life in a very short space of time but my son is happy and healthy and so am I and I have a good career so in the Grand scheme of things there are so many people who are much worse off than me and least there are many things which I can control, it's the problems you can't that are far more difficult to cope with.image

MsE - You seem to be going really well. Pls remind me what marathon you are doing? I think we need a new list, not that my name will be on it anytime soon but would be a good tracker for all the runners on here.

Abbers - Enjoy your camping holiday! Re your half, have you run Gosport before, not sure where that is? I got chatting to a guy yesterday who is a race organiser and Jersey will have a Spring marathon from next April so that could be on the horizon for me if I don't do London.

SJ - Hah, that made me laugh. Sounds like you are having fun in the sun.

Marrows - How did the 10k go?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - excellent session on Wednesday & swim at the hotel yesterday. Enjoy your hols!  

Gul - going well. With any luck, your MP will be slightly quicker than you think it might be! You've put in a lot of training over the last few months.

PMJ - nice MLR. When's Maidenhead?

MsE - interesting stuff. The Achilles issue is something I had to contend with through the 2013 cricket season too, and then disappeared within a couple of weeks of the season ending, so it's definitely brought on by bowling, rather than running. That being the case, it could well be glute-related, rather than isolated to the calf/Achilles structure, as the glutes are heavily involved in the delivery stride. We only have 2 weekends of league matches left, and then I suspect the problem will miraculously resolve itself, as it did last year, when I stop playing and focus on running. Some glute & calf strengthening wouldn't go amiss though. I probably shouldn't go around showing my bum to strangers. Nice 12 from you.

Marrows - how did the 10k go? Very impressed by the cross-Channel undertaking.

GM - root canal on top of everything else? How many ladders have you walked under?!?! I would say to keep your chin up, but you seem to be doing a remarkable job of that anyway image

Poacher - hope the car issues are resolved soon and you are able to get back to some proper training again. Is the juggling 3 jobs situation still on-going?

Day off work yesterday to take my Mum to some county cricket for her (belated) birthday. It's what she wanted, honest! Picnic with smoked salmon, bubbles, etc. made it feel more of a special occasion. Got a 5 miler done in the morning before we went though, to try to keep things ticking over. Rest day today.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Nice birthday celebrations with your Mum. My mother has no interest in any sport whatsoever. Not sure about the number of ladders but the RC was not something I was expecting, had toothache about 6 weeks ago and that's what it turned out to be. Wasn't too bad as I said, I was more concerned about my leg lying there on the dentist chair. It's done now and feels absolutely fine, so all good. Enjoy your rest day!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - sorry, x-post. Forecast not looking brilliant for the start of next week, so may delay our arrival by 24 hours depending on exactly how wet & windy it is! Don't fancy trying to set up in those conditions with the 2 Ms As getting bored silly sat in the car, and everything soaking wet before we begin! Gosport is next to Portsmouth, so reasonably local for me, and is one of the flattest, fastest courses around. I think Lorenzo and some others from the thread ran it last year. Only trouble is wind on the coast, especially in mid/late November when conditions could potentially be challenging. The Lordshill 10 miles a couple of weeks before is round the hinterland between Southampton and Romsey, so again close to home and quite a quick course. Excellent positive outlook you have image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

PMJ - Nice mid-week medium long run

Gerard - Glad to read that you're feeling a bit more positive about your future. I always like the look of Sketchers and the advert on the back of Runner's World with Meb K works very well!

Poacher - Glad to read that you were spared serious injury in your car accident. Hope it's all sorted soon.

Gul - Good paced 10 miler there.

Abbers - Nice posh outing to the cricket - unusual birthday present. Hope the achilles continues to improve.

Slokey - I also laughed at the thought of your holiday swimming! With all your swimming and cycling, a sub 3 marathon off 40 mpm should be within your reach. I've rarely go above 35 mpw for the last 7 years and in that time have run marathons between 3:05 and 3:12.

Brooks are my trainer of choice - Aduro for the road and Cascadia for the trails. Both nice and cushioned.

20.2 miles in the pouring rain yesterday and a sunny bike ride this morning.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Who's idea was the camping? Yours by any chance??image 

Similarly the weather is looking a bit mixed here for the BH weekend. Shame as it's been a lovely warm dry summer so far.

Ah yes, I recall Gosport now and do remember other folk from on here doing it and running very good times. I really don't like the wind, we get too much of that here. I like the sound of that 10 miler, I've ever done one 10 miler and it was partly off road but  a great distance in my view.