Sub 3h15

Comments

• I did Gosport last year and it was a lovely race. If you're lucky with the wind it'd be really fast, and there was an excellent selection of goody bag snacks too.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

SJ - yes it was hardcore! no wetsuit! Ullswater must be beautiful

GM - I have skechers.. the foam doesn't seem as bouncy as some other shoes but I have to wear them when my achilles tendons are sore as they're much lower cut at the back than any others I have

10K was good.  I hit 1K in 3:43 which is too quick for me so let go the bunch and ran the rest of the way on my own for 40:13, a big chunk off my 10K pB but still not in line with 5K from earlier this year (19:06).  Maybe I'll have another pop in October or November and try for sub 40.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - Have you got the new Go Ride 3 version? They feel more bouncy than the other pair I have which are the Go Run2. Well done on your 10k, it's a very good time, oh so close to sub 40 and not too dissimilar to one I did back in June. I have done a few of those 3:43 1st K's too and it's hard in a 10k to maintain that sort of pace, well for me it is anyway. What were your splits like? I think you and I are very close in terms of pb's although you would kick my a$$ in a marathon for sure. My Pb's AMOI are 5k - 18;46, 10k - 40:15, 1/2 1:29:05, marathon -  3:27! I am aiming for a low 39 10k, maybe sub 39 in November so we can see how we both get on.

• Shame about work getting in the way of your fourth PB, Poacher.  If the planets are aligned, I'll be making my Abingdon debut this year, at my 3rd (or is it 4th?) attempt.

Fear not, GM, some good times will be heading your way soon.  They have to be.

• I meant life times, of course.  Not running times.
    Nobody cares about the latter, really.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

TAR - Thank you & I did think that was what you meant, running times coming down are on my radar too.image

• Had never heard of Hokas but sounds like they get a ringing endorsement. Website looks interesting. Any idea which retailers stock them?

Gosport is a very flat half with excellent opportunities for a PB - I took about 90s off my PB there last year. Don't recall it being windy on the day so I'm sure that would have helped. Not too many points for scenery but was well organised.

Looks like I'll be entering the Reigate half next month as it's on the list of events in our club Grand Prix and I've missed the first couple (12 across the course of the year, best  6 scores count). Definitely NOT in PB form at the moment so will treat it as a training run and may even attempt to run it without a watch let alone a Garmin and see what happens. 

Hope the weather's conducive for running at the moment - we had our first drops of rain in 2 weeks today!!! Currently staying in the hills just north of Madrid - planning to get out for another early run tomorrow morning.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well, I know everyone thinks the Hokas are super ugly, but I can't help my love for these shoes (BTW, the cliftons are the least ugly of their shoesimage).

Did another subLT run today (13 miles w/10 at 80% maxHR). The fast miles worked out to 6:45/m again. What is interesting is that in the Hokas my cadence/leg/minute is 87 while in the Nimbus it's around 83/84. Something about the design of the shoe works for me. Gets my turnover up and just helps my overall form. I guess a lighter shoe is good.

Entered a 25K w/16 big hills (and many more small ones!) for end of next week. I haven't really trained for hills like this (my marathon is relatively flat) but figure why not. Regardless should be a great marathon specific-training stimulus.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Apologies for the flying visit. Aftger 3 and a quarter hours sleep, I got out at 3:54 for my 20 mile run. 10 slow / 10 easy. Back just before 7am and now making breakfast image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good effort, Gul - 20 here also, but as my usual Saturday companions were all unavailable, I treated myself to a lie-in, so didn't head out until after you posted  . . . . .

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Just a quick delurk to say hello. No running here, but all things being equal will be back to base building in a week or two. Wont be running nice to cannes, which is a bummer but in for London next year. Looking forward to a good campaign.

Nice LSR Gul

Off to look at Hokas now

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

GM - nope, they're Go Run 3. The corners on the course meant garmin was way out with the km markers; the last time I looked at the watch at a marker was 4K, 15:4x and slowest km was 4:13

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - Ok. The Go Ride 3 are very bouncy. When I was back home in July I bought a pair in the Sketchers shop. I also saw they do a Go Ultra shoe which is even more cushioned but still light. Ah ok, doing the math then it looks like you ran the 1st k too quick @ 3:43 then next three k average 4 min k pace and throw in the 4:13 and the rest average 4:03/4 depending on the accuracy of the Garmin. That sounds like a lot the 10k's I have done. The best one I ever did I ran 20 min dead for the 1st half all pretty even paced and then hammered the 2nd half only for the course to be short by 200m. I was gutted as my average pace on the Garmin was 6:20 so would have been well under 40 but will defo have more goes at that distance, hopefully in the not too distant future.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gul I hope you got some more sleep after that epic.

10 miles here in Geneva. Off to Italy tomorrow. Take care all....

• BonjournOO.

I'm miraculously still alive after the coach trip to end all coach trips on the narrowest, twistiest, most precipitous cliff top road that I've ever imagined to Amalfi and back. Some people do that every day! imageWeather turned a tad cloudy this afternoon so left the pool and popped on my trainers (Hokas) and had a whizz around Sorrento. A couple of steep roads down to the harbour and marina kept it honest and i clocked up 6miles in 45 sweaty minutes. Recovery Peroni.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - strangely enough, my run was a solo effort too. Hope you enjoyed it!
    Mennania - hi. Good luck with the base building for London - I entered the ballot again this year. If I don't get in I might skip marathon training for a bit and wait till next Autumn.
    OO - enjoy Italy. Busy yesterday in the garden, but got an early night after Dr Who.
    SJ - sounds like you're having a tough timeimage
    I found the 20 miler a bit tough going - first one for a while.Rest today.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

OO and SJ - Nice holiday running

Birch - Yet another 20 miler. You certainly are building a strong endurance base. Have you got an autumn marathon planned?

Gul - 3 hours sleep! I was out on Friday night with friends, but still allowed myself 6 hours sleep before head out for an easy 5. I'm not as hard as you!

My long run was on Thursday this week, so it was track repeats this morning. 1k, 2k, 1k, 1k with 400m jog recovery as part of a 7.7 miler. Gardening for the rest of the day!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

16M with 12 @ MP is never easy.  Hit 6.49s but couldn't quite get the 6.44s I wanted.  Still, for a solo effort I think it's close enough for jazz and the 5s/mile should be 'findable' with a number on (and another 9 weeks' training!).

3 hours' sleep?!!  That is bonkers.  I struggle on less than 7-8 hours...

Birch: good to see you back at decent miles and long runs again.

Happy holidays to OO and SJ.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Fishy- nice 20 and a little bit image

Marrows - 13 secs shouldn't be too difficult 

Gerard- things will get better 

Vtr- that's good mara pace  and reps

Gul - 3.5 hrs sleep and a 20 !image

00-51 - you jet setter !

Slokey- enjoy the peroni 

Joolska-great mara pace effort 

Lots of stretching done , no running as ordered but about 10 mile walked this week lurgy still lingering a bit yet so not too bothered yet but my running ban should be up friday image

• My ugly mug made it onto the C4 Outlaw highlights this morning: crossing the finish line - red cap, black tri suit, arms in the air. image 

Just had a lovely day in Capri. 

• Just a little more patience required Leslie.

Stonking MP run Jools. Which race are you smashing in 9weeks?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Fishy - Mablethorpe, although I haven't actually entered yet  . . . .

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, respect for the mega LR on little to no sleep! Hope you are resting well today.

Birch, how many 20s have you banked away now? I'm impressed. Miles of trials and all that.

Mennania, hope your restart goes well.

OO, some nice locations for running. Am jealous. You too SJ...and congrats on the highlight. I guess you are officially famous now.

Fishy1, nice speed set and hope the time outside is good today.

Joolska, no, that run never is easy. Nice job bagging it with good splits. Plenty of time to drop those 5 s/m.

Leslie, you are just about ready again!

Today rounded out a 63M week w/20 P&D style...about 8:20ish first half and 7:40 second. Legs great until mile 18, then the hard stuff from the week spoke up. But overall not too bad. After a couple of cool weather weeks, it was hot today. More of that in store. Cut back/taper ahead this week and race next Monday.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - nice reps.
    Jools - 12 x 6:49 sounds excellent to me.
    Leslie - bet you can't wait till Friday!
    Birch - I haven't put my money where my feet are yet either.
    VTr - another good week's training bagged. Enjoy the taper!
    Rest yesterday, although I did have to take our Church service at the last minute. 14 miler d&d this morning, including looking for somewhere to buy some milk. 7M uber-slow and 7M easy.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good week there VTr. Last 12 weeks I've managed 4 x 20's, 1 x 20.5, 2 x 21, 1 x 22.5
    I intend a couple more.  Prior to Manchester mara in April I recorded 7 long (20 +) runs.

10 very wet ones this morn - again heading out after Gul had completed and posted !
    Gul - does the last minute call to take the service cause any stress, or do you have ideas at the ready, so to speak, for such occasions? 

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Ouf, Birch! what's the target for Mablethorpe? I just looked at your profile and saw your list of PBs. wowzers

Finished the week off with a 9.5 mile off-road toddle, mostly at 10 min/mile - other half's longest ever run. I ran off ahead and jogged back a few times to do 4x800m. it was meant to be 6x800m but I was still tired from Thursday's 10K, and rep 4 elicited a warning twinge in a foot with a bad history.  No harm done so maybe I was just making excuses!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

marrows - to do as well as I can within the parameters of the training I can do on well-used legs !  I seem to have found the level I can sustain over a given period now (after an injury ravaged 6-8 months in 2012, which included a DNF at Boston) . Built back and got 3:32 at Manchester, so an improvement on that would be good. My modus operandi now is to train as much as I can sensibly do, and accept the results this brings, even though I'm not only slower in absolute terms (naturally), my age-grading is also a fair bit less than when I was at my "best" . But I still want to be running next year, in 5 years time etc etc. so try to balance caution with exertion !

btw, how long were you in the boat out in the Channel? and apart from looking after your swimmer, what did you need in the way of sustenance out there? 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Gutted I missed that one on the tv. Hopefully it will be repeated.

VTR - That is a very good week there, long may it continue. What is your race on Monday? Weather has turned sour here and it's a typically disappointing Bank holiday Monday, raining! Can't complain really as it has been a decent summer, relatively speaking of course.

Leslie - Nearly there.

Gul - You are some man what with these early early long runs off the back of a few hours sleep and then doing church service at the drop of a hat. Get that entry d&d. 14 miler on a Tuesday, are you planning a big week with another long run at the end of the week?

Birch - That's an impressive accumulation of long runs. Why the hesitation regarding your entry for MT marathon? Is there a risk that it will be sold out?

Marrows - Take it easy with that foot. Must be nice to run with your OH and 9.5 miles is not to be sniffed at for someone who doesn't do much mileage. Is your OH training for a race?

Still in recovery mode here and back to work tomorrow. Actually don't mind that at all tbh. Yesterday was a pretty action packed sport spectating day for me. Went to see a charity 10k race which was won by a 15 year old in 34 mins. He's one to watch for sure. Then went into town to watch the Jersey town criterium cycle race. It was spectacular seeing the elite riders whizz past and negotiating the very technical corners. How they didn't crash I have no idea. It was exhilarating to watch but doesn't make me want to jump on a bike. Nigel Mansell's son Greg was the favourite but he got well beaten and think he managed 3rd or 4th. 

• Top level cyclists are complete nutters GM. I marshalled a race a few weeks ago and the speeds that they took corners at was insane but not as crazy as the overtaking that the team cars did on a rather lethal stretch of Lake District road that I happened to witness on my way home. Don't think they have the same perception of speed as us muggles.  Outlaw should be repeated on one of the C4 channels and on Eurosport and Sky apparently.  34minutes for a 15 year old? Talent!

Better safe than sorry Marrows.

That's an impressive week of training VTR.

30minutes tempo yesterday and 45 min swim 

Today I walked up a volcano and swam 2 miles. (Not in the volcano). 

In other news, I've been ice bucket challenged - not sure how to do that whilst on holiday .....

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Easy, just remove the bottle of champers from the ice bucket by the pool and pour it over your head! Not the champers of course.image And yes they are. I know one of them well and he raced in the Commonwealths years ago, gave it up and turned to running. Became a very decent runner and won many races here locally and now has gone back to cycling. Jersey is hosting the Island games next year and he is aiming for that. He rather infamously got beaten on the line by none other than Mark Cavendish after he began celebrating his victory rather prematurely.