Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - I managed to get back before the serious rain started yesterday! No stress on Sunday - we're always pretty laid back and informal - just busy on Sunday morning trying to sort everything whereas normally I'd have all week!
    marrows - well done to your other half.
    GM - sounds like a good bank holiday weekend. After my holiday it was 7 weeks to Mablethorpe. So I am planning 2 full-on weeks, 1 cut-back, another 2 hard weeks and then 2 taper weeks. This will be the 2nd week, so looking for somewhere around 65 miles with maybe a 21 miler this weekend.
    SJ - impressive holiday continues.
    10 easy miles inc. 10 x 100m strides this morning.

• Nice plan Gul. I'll try something similar in my build up I think. 

I'll bet that guy is still kicking himself GM image Good idea on the ice bucket.

I'm going to chance driving over a mountain pass to Ravello today in what I hope will be a collision free trip...... 

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Birch - I like your training philosophy.  We were on the boat for about 20 hours.  The tradition is that the swimmer provides for the crew so we had lots of goodies - cold meats, dried fruit, bread, biscuits, tea..

GM - no he's not interested. Shame because I reckon he could be good - though he runs rarely and slowly, he looks like a good runner taking it easy, not someone who can't run - and he's not a big lad.  Also his pa recently told us he ran 10.6secs for 100yds in his teens!

Good luck with the drive SJ

7.5M+7.5M easy double yesterday, 15 easy planned for tonight

• I'm aliiiiive!!!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

SJ - Outlaw set to record - 2:45 am tomorrow (C4)
    Gerard - same approach as Manchester - plan & train, see how the legs cope, then enter a month or so before - Mable won't sell out, I'm sure, but I'll enter soon, in any case.
    marrows - 20 hours is commendable support ! Impressive double & further 15 today .

9 with my daughter today, inc a few tempo segments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - Thanks for the heads up re Outlaw! Fair enough, seems a good approach and no real pressure if you decide not to do it.

SJ - You would think so. He is a nice guy though and very modest.

Marrows -  Seems alien to us runners as to why one wouldn't want to enter races and push ourselves etc but then again I think most people who don't run see us runners as something completely bonkers. Not for everyone I guess and same goes for a lot of things. I can't comprehend my someone would want to do those crazy ultra races, a standard marathon is about 6 miles too far anyhow.image

• GM - I quite happily ran for 3 years without the slightest desire to (a) enter races or (b) push myself. It was very pleasant.

SJ - well done on still being alive.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lit - Interesting the way you have become in that case. Helps if you're good though!image

Gul - Sounds good to me.

I am starting to miss running now. It has been 14 days! Not long by any stretch of the imagination but leg not healing as quickly as one would have liked.image One of the benefits of a bad break up is the weight loss. Currently 10lbs or 4.5kgs lighter than I was 3 months ago. At this rate I will be near enough race weight come November.image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

No going back now Literin...

Amazing pace there Jules

A few plods done in Italy....

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

SJ - just watched Outlaw. Great coverage & cracking finish line celebration from you! Very inspirational + you beat Jamie Quarry. I recognised the scenery on the run from the Notiingham Marathon. Of course, I hadn't already swam 2.4 miles and biked 112!

Birch - Had a look at the Mablethorpe website. Looks like a good venue & course. 

10 miles at mp in lovely late summer sunshine this evening. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

marrows - racking up the miles.
    SJ - well survived.
    Birch - there's no way of telling how many places are left, is there?
    GM - hope the leg heals soon.
    Fishy - nice MP run.
    4 recovery miles d&d.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Literatin - how things have changed for you !, now you are a speed demon image

Gerard- hope you get running  soon again.

Fishy - good mara pace session 

Gul-nice early run.

Nothing to report here bar a few stretches , Physio on friday again image

• Got back to a rather damp Blighty yesterday evening - sounds as though it's been monsoon season here! 

Managed to lurk via the phone whilst away so kept up to speed with people doing plenty of long runs, a number of speedy ones, some folks feeding swimmers and others generally being a bit insane (i.e. SJ).

Poacher - the Comrades pass has been officially issued so am now looking at flights / hotels etc. Cheapest flight option looks to be Emirates via Dubai (about £650) but there are a quite few other ones a few quid more. On a previous email you mentioned about a qualifying time - presumably a time from VLM 2014 will count?

Enjoyable hilly 9 and a bit miles for me this morning.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - there are fairly few flights to Durban so the main options are to go UK

- Joburg - Durban from London (possibly via Schipol, Paris etc depending on price), or UK - Dubai - Dbn on Emirates. The latter is currently cheaper but both legs are long. Some folk wait till Easter to hope for cheaper flights from London. But if getting it D&D is important, I'd go for it now. Posters on the Comrades 2015 thread may have other views or knowledge of course.

Travelling from t'north makes the Dubai option more attractive as it avoids stopping in London, in fact we booked Manc - Dubai - Dbn yesterday. You get to fly down the coast of Somalia (as featured in Captain Philips). Nice.

Qualifying is straightforward but has to be done, up till about a month before race day - sub-5 is the bottom line but a gentle sub-3.20 gets you seeded into pen B and over the line in a minute or so (that's why I was so relaxed at VLM this year)

Mainly though, congrats on the pass, see you there, fabulous race, you won't regret it. DM me if I can help (although Bike It knows more about the up run).

Minni???
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - good luck at the physio's tomorrow.
    Lorenzo - welcome home! Nice hilly run - good prep for Comrades.
    Poacher - I always thought DM stood for Dangermouse.
    11 mile tempo run this morning, including 7 @ 6:47 m/m. Certainly blew a few cobwebs away.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul -  - from marathon Runners Diary -
    "The Mablethorpe Marathon is run alongside the Mablethorpe Half Marathon. Both are low-key races with a limit of 500 runners each"

Last year the half had 392 finishers, the marathon 222; based on those figures I don't see a problem with entry (although you are correct - MM site offers no indication of entries to date). Closing date is the week before (26th Sept, I believe).

Fine effort this morn - I have yet to venture out - y'day a "rest" day - spent driving hire van, loading/unloading furniture etc as son moved back here to begin new job.
    Back, shoulders, arms DOMS aplenty ! 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

make that legs also - very creaky and stiff - but 14 slow d&d & in the log . . .

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - Thanks - no rush then! Hope you're recovering from the furniture removal and the 14 miler - well done.
    6 slow miles for me today. Looks like I only be getting a handful of hours' sleep again tonight before Saturday's LSR.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Birch - good cross training there and nice 14 miler

Gul- get to bed early tonight then 

• Oooh, Comrades. Jealous.

Good full body workout Birch

Back home after a week of warm weather acclimatisation and carb loading. Feeling good to go for the SBU35 tomorrow (assuming I can eliminate the effects of a couple of barrels of wine out of my system). I need to leave home at 4am! image

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey - good-luck tomorrow 

Been at the physio and my non running streak has been extended 7 more days as a precaution then 3 x 3 milers after that image Losing some fitness now and gaining a few lb's image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Good luck for your LSR tomorrow.

SJ - Welcome back and good luck for your SBU35. No idea what that means though...image

Leslie - What did your fizz say apart from another week off?

Lorenzo - Great news for you re Comrades. Have you been out there before?

Recovery still going slow here. Have follow up on Tuesday to have stitches removed and see what he says. Big weekend here as ex is packing up now and moving on Monday. Work drinks tonight and then out with a friend. Keeping well away at the mo and will enjoy the peace next week and have my son all to myself as he starts back school on Wednesday.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

VoGit status now official  . . . . . .

/members/images/396841/Gallery/IMG_4817_0.JPG

• Happy birthday! It doesn't count till you actually cut the cake, so you can prolong your youth by just hovering above it with the knife forever.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Birch! You certainly don't look your age!

• Happy Birthday Birch! WAVA improvements and age group prizes are imminent!! image

• Happy birthday Birch - more prizes on their way methinks.

GM - nope. Never been to SA. Might have to use the Comrades trip as a recce for a future holiday.

6 miles along the bank of the Tyne (no fog though) this morning. Easy-ish with some short fartlek towards the end. Box Hill on the plan for tomorrow.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Birch - happy birthday young man.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

/members/images/36105/Gallery/birthday_bday_clever_humor_savagechickens-c53a15c349a2820fec9d39bb6eb830e4_h.jpg

Happy birthday, Birch! Proof that 60 is the new 50 indeed. image