Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great to hear from you moof & that all goes well

In a word Leslie NO. Well I do have one actually (but 29 years ago!)  

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I donned my nylon GGAC vest today and discovered it is definitely not breathable, dri-fit or wicking as I nearly boiled alive wearing it for the Surrey Road Relays.  I was definitely dragging around on heavy marathon trained legs and seem to have just one pace at the moment!  A mix up with the teams saw our original team of 4 being split as we lost a member to another ladies'  team that had been arranged and so were left with just 3 for an unfinished team (a DNF!).  As it turned out, our team of 3 were the quicker team and might have actually won/podium-ed had we run with our original 4.  image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

MsE- DefInitely not wearing my lycra shorts now. I've just hit the floor and am on my third set of crunches. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

OO - am I right in thinking there is a familiar face here? It may be a case of mistaken identity. Fighting fit men are often confused.

/members/images/36105/Gallery/10539141_10154605294190204_6732672739143628736_o.jpg

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    moof wrote (see)

MsE- DefInitely not wearing my lycra shorts now. I've just hit the floor and am on my third set of crunches. 

I might even have to prod it...

• Apologies for the flying visit - but must say amazing racing by OO. Congrats on a great effort.
    Another 14 miles this morning. 4 miles w.u, 5 miles with 10x100m strides and 5 miles tempo. Back to making the packed lunches!

• Wahey for OO! And for SJ (northern grit floats?)

• Marrows - See the below link, you may or may not be interested.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/suunto

• Good run there OO and a great confidence boost for the sub hour 10 milers to come if 61:30 was a breeze at the start of a half.

Looks to me that the v50 class is an odd one: yesterday I was 81st overall and 29th v40 and there were 3 v50s ahead with them in 5th, 49th and 64th. Other days I can beat all v50s.

• I'm finding it impossible to decide which is the most impressive: 4.5 hours in a lake, 3rd V50 at GNR, or a grizzly marathon just one week before Flanders.

Think I'll call it a score draw.

• Long runs, speedy HMs, GNR age group podiums, the return of Moof, road relays, parkruns, off-road maras and a casual 4.5 hour splash in Ullswater.

Bonkers, the lot of you image

Minni, at least now you have a diagnosis and can move ahead with the process of fixing it and rehab. Good luck with what comes next.

So, back from cricket tour to Exeter, which was a test of stamina in its own right. Far too much drinking, far too little sleep and virtually no acting our age. Great fun. And today, I actually managed to get out for a run image Only 4 miles, nice and easy, but the quad felt OK and the Achilles calmed down after some initial soreness. Just easy running for a week or two, but at least I'm back in the trainers again.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Great performances over the weekend especially from SJ & OO.

OO so pleased for your result yesterday.  That is a brilliant performance.  I couldn't help notice another pic of you topless again!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Surgery is booked for 9th December. Yes, 9th of December, as in 3 MONTHS FROM NOW. image  That would mean no VLM and to be honest by the time I get back on my feet I will be about 103 and well past my sell by date.  So, I've asked to be put on the cancellation list.

• Bah, that sucks Minni. 3 months! Not surprised that you are disappointed - VLM would probably be a stretch anyway though if you factor in sensible recovery time.  What can you do in the meantime to maintain fitness / strength?

OO - wow! What a great performance and result to podium in such a huge race!  Epic stuff sir. Very relaxed looking photo too image Definitely performance of the week (and some!)

Bit of a grim night last night for me. Seems I managed to get anti fog spray from my goggles into my eye which then sat there glueing itself to my cornea for 4.5hrs. Felt like I was being repeatedly poked in the eye with a manky sharp stick last night.  6+ hours in hospital and litres, yes litres, of eye irrigation later I had the ok to go home. Back for another check up tomorrow. Joy.

• Age group podium in a race that big is definitely a quality performance, one to be v proud of.

Impressed to see Moof/Joolska quietly racking up big miles. Targets?

Nice drinking Abbers, modelling yourself on Boony perhaps

SJ ouch that is painful. But eye lubricants may help out. (I literally put a manky stick in my eye a few years ago and cut the surface of the cornea...never healed properly and still sticks to the eyelid every night. However the lubricant unsticks things very quickly). The funny thing about eye hospitals is they always seem to have loads of clutter me lying around for patients to walk into.

Minni - such a shame but maybe it's the beginning of your comeback.

Lorenzo - where are you staying?
  • (((Minni)))   posting on here as our old spiritual home (sub 3:30 RW thread) has vanished

I may come back on here as a regular poster if I ever get in shape again for a sub serious sub 3:15 attempt image 

• Yuk Poacher image  Hopefully I wont need lubricant every night.......

Come on in Chickadee! 

• Gerard/Lorenzo - I ran Manchester in 3:12 & my training through the summer has gone well, so hopefully 3:12 or a little quicker. 

Moof & Jools - impressive mileage & super long runs

Slokey - impressive swimming. Swimming for that distance & time is something I find difficult to get my head round

Poacher - good report. Glad you were able to find your way round!

OO - superb Great North Run & cracking time. Very swift. 

Hello Chickadee

• Minni - Sorry to hear that but try take the positive's from the wise man Poacher.

Fishy1 - Sounds like a very realistic target to me.image

SJ - Ouch!

Chickadee - Welcome.  I've lurked on the sub 3:30 forum in the past and wondered what happened to it?

Abbers - Sounds like a fun time you had.

Leg is much better here and I'm hoping to go for a jog on Thursday. That would be 30 days no running, by no means a big number I guess when you put things into perspective but I am really looking forward to it!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Poacher- I'm going to set my target for Abingdon at sub 2.55. Feel in pretty decent shape at the moment, hopefully I won't be overcooked by then.

Minni- bit of a wait which must be very frustrating.

Slokey- Double Ouch!

6 very easy miles for me today at about 8.45 pace which is what I've been running all my recovery days at. In fact most of my mileage hasn't really crept over 8mm pace apart from the quality sessions and the P&D runs at mp +20/10%.

It was supposed to be a double today but work got in the way, which is bloody inconsiderate.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Gerald- what have you done to your leg? I must have missed a page.

• Moof  -Hi there, sounds like your training is going well and long may it continue. I had some surgery on my leg which involved having a benign cyst removed. It's feeling much better now compared to last week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a great line Marrows- had me laughing...

Yes MSE that's me. There are a lot worse ones doing the rounds as hinted by Minni image

I have a theory on that PMJ. I think all those old men in the V45+ catagory belong to a different age when road running was dominated by men with a high proportion of serious high standard runners. Those old boys are still running and it's a strong catagory. I think it's great that running is now appealing to a diverse population but the average standard has fallen.  

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

OO - the utter joy in your face is a lovely sight image  Running is great isn't it?

SJ  - doh!

• Minni - very frustrating - hope there's a cancellation offered to you much sooner.
    SJ - sounds painful.
    chickadee
      - welcome and do stick around even if the 3:30 thread reappears.
    GM - fingers crossed for Thursday!
    moof - at least you're saving the legs for when it counts.
    OO - that might apply to PMJ but not me!
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Chickadee - Hello!! image  Yes, I can't access the 3:30 thread at all.  Someone sent me a link but when I click on it I am not logged in and when I try to log in I can't get back to it. And you're right its disappeared completely off the threads.  Not sure what is going on there.  How are you?  You're almost at 3:15!  My year continues to be a catalogue of disasters!

OO I would have said there are a lot better doing the rounds! image

Poacher wrote (see)

SJ ouch that is painful. But eye lubricants may help out. (I literally put a manky stick in my eye a few years ago 

I read that as manly stick when skimming over... image

Right, so who pool runs?  I can still run at the moment just not very well.  I will continue to do as much as I can but thought I should master the art of pool running before surgery so I can hopefully I can do it in recovery.

Busy cancelling races... Dirty Double in the Lakes image   SD50 image

• Minni - really feel for you as it sounds as though it'll be a tough few months. Is there anything else that you've always wanted to do but haven't had the time becuase of all the running?

Poacher - I've booked a room at the City Lodge hotel from Thursday through to Tuesday, but I'm now having second thoughts as to whether somewhere nearer the beach would be a better bet. Flying out via Joburg on the Weds evening and back the following Tuesday.

Chickadee - welcome. I'm sure you'll find it even better on here than on the sub 3:30 thread. What's your marathon PB?

9 up and down (the terrain rather than emotionally) miles for me this morning. 

• SJ - eye situation sounds very unpleasant. Hope the wash out has resolved it.

Minni - hope something comes up before December for you; sounds like a long time to wait. Can't advise on pool running though.

Poacher - if only I had half of Boonie's talent, for either cricket or keg consumption!

Welcome Chick; I've seen you posting elsewhere, but good to have you on board.

GM - tour is always a highlight of the social calendar. Good luck with Thursday's planned comeback.

Moof - nice target. That's swift.

Gul - confident in your build up?

Lorenzo - consistent stuff from you, as usual.

Not much to report here, 1500m more in the pool and various rolling/stretching/conditioning.

• Good news on the comrades plans Lorenzo. How are you going to modify your training approach?

Haven't done pool running Minni, my local pool is only 5 foot deep so wouldn't be any good for it (although might be perfect for youimage )

Tasty target Mr Moof! 

Another appt at the eye clinic this morning - the doc said that the "scarring was healing nicely". Still can't see very well out of it but it is definitely improving. 

1.5m easy then 4m at HMP (4min per km) with 1.5m cool down on the tready last night. A bit hot but ok.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo wrote (see)

Minni - really feel for you as it sounds as though it'll be a tough few months. Is there anything else that you've always wanted to do but haven't had the time becuase of all the running?

image Erm, nope. image