Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

BI- bonking in races is never a good idea (sorry, it had to be said)

Man flu Jools, this will not do- it's surely the preserve of men!

Lorenzo, I onlt managed 1 runner from 3 girls so you may be disappointed

Back running now, just nice easy stuff this week.

• Yes, life without carbs is surprisingly different.  Gone are the big pasta dinners, roast potatos, fruit, toast and jam before an early morning run.

Typically I over the last few days I've had a menu like this:

Breakfast

3x eggs scrambled in butter or natural 10%fat yohurt with ground almond and cocnut

Lunch

Cheese salad with avo and lots of olive oil; Salami (full fat), olives, cheese, salad, lots of olive oil; previous dinner leftovers

Dinner

Chicken livers with creme freche; bacon fried with cabbage and onion in lots of olive oil; minced beef with courgette/tomato and cauliflower with cheese all with a good dollop of creme freche.  A good side of vegetables

Deserts/Snacks

Natural yoghurt; almonds; brazil nuts; cheese

Supplements

5g salt; potassium and magnesium

Basically fat is my friend - no sugar (even not natural sugar like friut or honey), no grains.

I'm reading 'Diet Delusion' by Gary Taubes.  Its a scientific review of all nutritional research over the last 100+ years.  I'm halfway through but already finding a lot of answer to my particular metabolic issues.

• Sounds nice apart from the "cocnut"...

8m mainly on the beach this morning. Legs still shredded. Could be ugly on Sunday
  • Birch - perhaps not confident exactly, but really looking forward to the possibility of standing on the start line with no injuries!
    Leslie - nice early run! Fun run with your 7 year old should be just that (fun I mean, not early).
    Bike It - good luck with the experiment - should be interesting.
    Lorenzo - yes, it'll soon be dark when I'm finishing my runs.
    Abbers - more good gym work.
    Jools - recover quickly.
    MsE - cracking run.
    Poacher - what's the beach like?
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• MSE-nice tempo ! plenty of choice with 4 younguns to run with , I've just the one girl but she is keen so must get out more before it gets to cold .She did the fun run last year and talked about nothing else for weeks after,its on Sunday so not long now image

Poacher- no pain , no multi mara gain.

Gul -start with no injuries hows that work ? image

another 3.5 miles at 6am trying these early morn runs as no time after a long day at work but need to get up another 5 mins earlier to get up to 4 miles but that's asking a lot now image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Standing on the mara start line is a good place to be after a period of doubts, Gul !
    Crossing the finish line is even better image
    How did the session go, Jools?  With MsE's  impressive13.1 tempo, and your form recently (inc 10K pb), the Bristol half will be very interesting  . . . . . .

Rest day for me prior to tomorrow's long one 

• I’ve been in lurk mode for several months but wanted to delurk to post this race report.  It’s for the Titanic Quarter 50k Ultra Marathon which I ran on Sunday.

The race was a combination of flat roads, coastal paths and over grown trails. There was also a 102k and 25k race running along the same course. The 102k started at 6 am and ran from the Titanic quarter to Ballywalter and back. The 50k I was running was one way from Ballywalter to the Titanic quarter starting at 12:30 pm. The 25k started at 2 pm covering the second half of the 50k race.

My training had gone well with a longest run of 30 miles two weeks before the race. I didn’t fully taper with a 100+ mile total three weeks out, then 60 (scheduled cut back week) and 30 miles before the Ultra. I experimented with 10 days of fat loading (65% fat diet) before carbo loading for 3 days. I also didn’t take any caffeine including my beloved dark chocolate for 10 days before the race. I then took 2 x 200mg caffeine tablets during the race and was buzzing like a mad thing!

The weather wasn’t ideal with a lot of sun and temperatures up to 20C and a 10 -15 mile head wind for the 50k point to point race. I ended up with sun burn!

I knew there were three other runners of a similar standard to me, two of which (Simon, Sean) had recently beaten me in a half marathon. At the start line in Ballywalter I saw another runner (Peter) of a similar standard and also the former 100k Irish Champion (Marty) who was a 2:37 marathon runner.

The race started and straight away Simon, Peter and Marty began pulling away with me sitting in 4th. My race plan was to run about 7 to 7:15 minute mile pace on the flat section and see what pace I could hold on the trails and paths. I expected to slow down later on but hoped to break 3:50 which was the winning time from last year.

The first three kept pulling away for the first 10 to 11 miles and I eventually lost sight of them. I averaged about 7 m/m for these and felt very comfortable and hoped that the leaders would start dropping back later on. After 11 miles we were directed onto coastal paths and trails for about 4 miles. These were hard to navigate at times and I went the wrong way twice having to double back. I lost about 1 to 2 minutes and was getting very angry! Luckily I was catching a lot of the 102k runners and knew I was going the right way.

After about 14 miles I saw Peter not far ahead and soon closed the gap. We ran close to each other for the next few miles before reaching my home town of Bangor after 15 miles. The next section was on a beach and I saw Simon not far ahead with Peter and me closing fast. Just as the beach section finished I past both, with Simon looking like he was struggling badly.

Peter stayed close behind me as we ran through Bangor but he eventually overtook me again when I stopped for a few seconds to take on food and fluids. Leaving Bangor the next 8 miles would be along a coastal path before reaching Holywood near Belfast.

At around 18 miles Peter stopped for a pee so I went back into second place again. I was still comfortably running about 7 m/m pace on the flatter sections and went through 20 miles in 2 hours 23. I was feeling strong and really enjoying myself although due to the warm weather and sun the coastal path was full of families and dog walkers.

I was passing many of the 25k runners now which was encouraging and getting lots of support. At around 24 miles my family handed me my final drink and I asked if they could see anyone close behind. About 2 miles later they shouted from the car that I was 4 minutes ahead of 3rd. Phew!image I was feeling good but knew I could slow slightly and still finish in 2nd place. I had never seen Marty in 1st from about 8 miles and ha

• The anticipation...!

Session was ok, but seems to have left me a little husky!!  Good news is that still no symptoms below the neck/swollen glands or anything which means I can't train, but I'm clearly a little below par.  Hope that ceases to be the case soon...

• I'm sensing a race report typed off-forum and then cut and pasted - but Badbark hasn't realised he lost the tail end of the report!

• Praying it doesn't end like last time...c'mon BB!

On the boat to Belgium. It would be rude not to sample the Stella.
  • Leslie H wrote (see)
    Im sensing win !

I had a peak at a news report and I see

Mark Walker (Unattached) looked good

• Yes Philip ,I had a check now and Mark was on the podium but will leave it to him to update  image

• 10miles from me tonight over gentle hills. That's the first time I'm in double figures since March. Very slow at 9:30 pace, but it's progress and not perfection yet.

It seems Badbark is probably out running. Sounds like he is running well
  • Sounds like BB has ran another cracker of an ultra there. Well done!

Evening all, I had to shelve plans of a comeback run y'day as I had to discharge my fatherly duties. Got out tonight though and ran 2 miles, nice and easy and everything felt good!

Off to France tomorrow on a day trip with work colleagues, weather is very good so it should be a nice day out. Another run planned for Sunday, looking forward to it already.image

• Intriguing dramatic pause BB!

BI, you described your training as "going well" - you are a glass half full kinda guy!  Enjoy the new diet. I suggested a similar approach to a friend of mine who was diagnosed as diabetic a few months ago and got him using the myfitnesspal app to monitor and refocus his diet composition away from carbs. He's lost a few stone, had the all clear from the doc (blood sugar is back to normal) and has started cycling and running. Complete transformation. Motivation plus access to information worked a treat.

Get well soon / don't get ill Jools.

Bon trip GM.

Intense week (for me) of running so far - session with 4m @HMP on Monday, Wednesday was w/u 3@MP2@HMP, 1@10Kpace, off 1mile easy, tonight's blast out was w/u then 2x3m@HMP off 1mile easy. Feeling ok. I'm now on day 7 of the kinetic revolution 30day challenge (core and flexibility stuff) which is going well too - is anyone else doing this?

• Leslie - impressed by your early morning running.
    Birch - yes, crossing the finish line more or less in one piece would be good too!
    Badbark - so far so good - come on now!
    Jools - sounds promising.
    Bike It - nice running.
    GM - have a nice day in France.
    SJ - cracking week of training.
    21 miles this morning - 11M @ 9:01 m/m, 5M @ 8:13 m/m and 5M @ 7:08 m/m.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I think Badbark maybe having trouble uploading a picture of his shorts.

I've had a pretty decent week of training, 10 with reps (6*1000) on Tues, 15 on Wednesday, 12 on Friday all backed up with v easy miles for the rest of the week.

20 with 14 at MP planned for tomorrow should give a reasonable expectation of race day pace. It's a tough solo run!
  • BI-slow and steady

Slokey- 3 half mara paced sessions in 1 week ..tough alright you must be in good shape.

Gul-good strong finish long runimage , I'm Trying early runs before work so I have more time in the evenings ,will try and get up a little earlier so I can get more miles in soon but its a shock to the system for now !

Moof - that's a hard week but not as hard as that 20 .

Another 3.5 at 6am giving me 20 miles for the week , on the ramp up again (I hope) 2k fun run tomorrow image

• parkrun mojo is back. Decided to move away from home and do a bit of close by tourism and picked up a first finisher. Nothing special in terms of time (18:36) but nice to get back to something like form: I ran 18:27 at the end of March so it has been a long time.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

like the optimistic posts BikeIt, Gerard, Leslie, and cracking training from SJ,moof .
    Good parkrun Philip - 1st always nice

Gul - we spoke of confidence the other day - today's run must be pleasing for you - good strong finish there  . . . . . .
    final long one of this campaign here too - 7 x 5k laps, with laps 1,3,5,7 easy pace &
    2,4,6 more "up-tempo" . Nice to get it done.

Lastly, good luck Poacher - be interested to hear your views on the Flanders - my mate has it on his radar for a trip one year.

• Where's Badbark gone? I haven't been able to sleep because of the suspense!

Impressive progressive long run there Gul - are you ready to publicly declare you aspirations and expectations yet?

Bon chance to Poacher - suspect it'll be a pretty emotive one this year.

Glad the mojo is back PMJ - which one were you running?

BI - thanks for the post on your new diet. I'm experimenting with various things at the moment (no pre-fuelling, no Garmin, building up to a higher mileage plan) but I don't think I'm brave enough to make such a radical change to my diet. I need to have a look at the Gary Taubes book.

Start of mini taper prior to next weekend's half + various domestic duties prior to a family get together to celebrate (amongst other things) our 20th wedding anniversary so only 9 hilly miles this morning. Happy with a 7:23 average pace given the terrain so will see how it all ends up next weekend. Will be satisfied with anything around the 1:30 mark

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I hope Badbarks race ends better than his post...image

Good effort PMJ- doesn't a win feel good. I also won today at Whitley Bay  parkrun. Field was reduced post GNR and with XC today. But had to work all the same with a 3 way scrap for the victory and a sprint finish. !8:07 the time. Legs are mashed so I'll skip the LSR tomorrow.   

• Good one there OO. I was at Upton Court parkrun and did the same double as you: first finisher and top age graded. The challenge now is to take the mojo back to my home parkrun and do a decent run there too.

I was also running naked today (accidental as I left the Garmin in the office) and I don't know if it helped but it didn't hinder.

• Sorry everyone! I had indeed copy and pasted from Word. Here's the rest -

.....I had never seen Marty in 1st from about 8 miles and had no idea how far ahead he was.

I ran about 7:20 m/m pace for the last 5 miles and eventually crossed the finish line in 3:41:21 (7:09 ave) for 2nd place. Marty had finished in 3:37 so was just over a half mile ahead. Peter finished in 3:57 and told me he fell apart over the last few miles. Simon had a DNF.

I’m over the moon with the result finishing 2nd behind such an accomplished runner. I felt strong at the end and could have run on and suffered very little DOMS the following days. I picked up no niggles and only a minor blister on one toe. This race was really only a ‘B’ race 7 weeks before my ‘A’ race of the Dublin Marathon. However my shorter distance times are about 10 seconds a mile down from last year so I don’t expect a PB at Dublin.

I’m going to only taper for 2 weeks before Dublin and follow the fat loading then carbo loading process again too. I’ll also stop taking caffeine for 10 days again but will drink a lot more alcohol after the race. I was so wired after the ultra I didn’t sleep at all and lay in bed for 6 hours before giving up and getting up a 5am. I slept great the next night though!

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/images/icons/icon_smile.gif

• Very well done BB! That is an excellent result. Good luck at Dublin and stay in touch so we can enjoy your build up!

Gul, that is a strong long run. Sounds like you are on great form.

Well done OO and PMJ on your victories. I can only dream....

Happy anniversary Lorenzo image

Good luck on the MP run tomorrow Moof - I always struggle on that one.

Best of luck to Poacher....

3 hr hard ride around Silverdale, Arnside, Lyth Valley this morning with someone who wouldn't slow down when I was tired. That's not fair is it? Actually making me work hard - yeesh. Beautiful scenery when I had the time to look though.

• Badbark-only 4 mins  of the lead -back on track again  image

• Great one badbark, podium is always a happy place to be.