Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Superb pulling from the bag there Poacher!  Interesting feedback on York as it was one I was contemplating but probably won't now. I was at university there and thought it might be a nice way to revisit old ground but it sounds like it might be frustrating and COLD as it is wont to be oop north.

Rennur - my team ran there at the weekend and it sounds like a nice rolling route.  Great running despite your lack of miles.  Onwards and upwards!

PMJ - still in the 80% with your 10 mile pace which is incredibly impressive! I have yet to get there and am still at 79% (annoyingly) on my times.

VTr - WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!  And what a decisive negative split you ran. I bet it felt good?  I look forward to the race when I can say I didn't go out too fast and felt good up to the finish line.  I haven't done that since my very first HM!

Off to Portugal for a few days of warm weather training along the coast.  Well, playing with the kids in the pool, but I will be trying to fit in the remainder of my runs and then back home for the weekend when I shall be willing Jools onto a sub-2:55 this weekend as I think she has it in her.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

BikeIt- Great report and well done for finishing.

Ren - Good controlled effort in a come back marathon

PMJ - Excellent 10 miler and 80%+ WAVA

moof - Great report and well done on a sub 3 and PB

VTrun- Excellent report and Boston qualification marathon time.

Well I have some Good, Bad and Ugly news to report on. I'll start with the ugly. image

I'm finally on a waiting list for an operation to get my 'walnut' problem sorted out.image Google search for 'HALO Embarrassing Bodies' if you want to see the ugly operation!image

The bad news is that I was diagnosed with iron deficient anaemia while being blood tested for the operation. My hemoglobin level was under 12 and it should be between 14 to 17. I had wondered why I had been running about 10 seconds a mile at all distances since my blood loss at the Portumna ultra marathon. I thought I was just fatigued due to the race and had lost a bit of pace due to ultra training. Thankfully though I have been able to fix the issue with a multi vitamin with iron tablet daily and eating more iron rich foods. I'm now back to pre Portumna fitness levels again.

The good news is two fold. Firstly my marathon training for Dublin (next Monday) has went really well and I'm now 100% fit and raring to go. Providing the wind is kind on Monday I'll be targeting a narrow PB of 2:54:07 set there last year. I'm not quite fit enough to target sub 2:50 yet but hope to make an attempt at that milestone next year.

The really good news is that while running my final hard effort training session on Saturday for Dublin I have achieved a life time goal. The session was actually the NI Trails Cross Country and I finished 10th in the 45-49 age group. Four of the runners ahead of me are not registered with NIMAA so I have squeezed into the 6 man team. I have been invited to represent Northern Ireland in the British and Irish Masters Cross Country Championships in Nottingham next month! I've to pick up my 'Norn Iron' vest up at the end of the month at the Mary Peters Track. Looking at last years times I might come last but I don't care as it will be such an honour to represent my wee country! image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

VT - Congrates on a superb PB. My current PB is 3.19, is there anything in particular that you did differently in training to get such a massive time improvement?

Badbark - Well done! What an honour to pull on your natioanl vest. Awesome!

SB

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Nice one VTR! I will be keeping a close eye on you cos your mara splits are exactly the same as mine from London this year (2 minute negative split and 3:09:47 finish)

Moof - know what you mean about the sparse crowd at Abingdon.  I went last year to spectate and felt a bit silly standing by the road yelling my head off, all alone

Badbark - I wouldn't class IDA diagnosis as 'bad news' (at least, once you have ruled out any really malign cause).  It means you get to take some pills that make you go faster and it's not cheating! I had a spell of IDA and made this chart..  On the x-axis, one grid line is one month and the arrow is the date I discovered the problem and started taking iron pills. Those three 5K times are roughly 22, 25, and 20 minutes.

/members/images/473351/Gallery/Capture_6.JPG

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

First things first - Badbark !  Tremendous achievement and honour, particularly after your tribulations - many congratulations. 

Great comeback, Rennur - there's often a doubt when returning from injury, so well done.
    I'm (admiringly) envious of the WAVA score, PMJ - nice one !
    Jools - how is the taper going?
    Gul - you referred to starting training again in November - found a target yet? 

Great reporting moof/VTr - and fine racing for differing reasons - moof winning the "mental & physical battle", VTr cranking up the pace in the final miles ! PB's just reward for each.  

Great report by Poacher too - one more mara/ultra and you have one per mile of Comrades  . . . . . .

starting to ease back to normal here - 35 miles last week.  7 very wet and windy ones this morn.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Great chart marrows and my performances would be something similar since I was diagnosed. I've went from 19:15 to 20 minute Parkrun's every week but now back down to mid 18's since increasing my iron.

• Options

Yes, excellent reporting to match the superb running.

Badbark! International man of cross country racing mystery!! image Many congratulations. That is indeed a huge honour.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great marathon reports from Moof and VT Runner.

Badbark, that must really be a proud moment- I cannot imagine the like.

PMJ that really is an impressive time, top end of your expectations I think!

I'm just off to take some iron tablets as my parkrun form has gone to pot...

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

An INTERNATIONAL runner Badbark - the stuff of dreams really.  All your dedication paid off.

Good result Rennur - you did as I should have done and went with what you could do rather than what you wanted to do.  You've got everything to be proud of.

Top-work VTR - nice to get a PB and an example of the work that gets done yielding a reward when properly executed.  The slight negative split shows an excellent pacing.

Good to read the reports of Moof, Poacher and PMJ.  Racing to a goal in different circumstances with differing amounts of training and different emphasis and each doing the job.

I think I lost a lot of iron on Sunday too - I must remember the plasters next time and buy a red vest.

GM - thanks for asking about my whereabouts.  Current location is still the UK.  I'm job hunting on SA, but getting set-backs because I am not local.  Currently making arrangements to get out there, hopefully with a job, but without if necessary

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTR - Very impressive marathon, well done and must feel great to have achieved a time like that with such a nice negative split too. I live in hope......

Badbark - Fair play, that's awesome news. Good luck in Baile Atha Cliath!

Bike it - I did wonder and good luck with that. Keep us posted with your movements.

PMJ - Target achieved!

OO - Your standards are high and with your travelling and work commitments, you always seem to run well, even when you don't feel like that's the case. I guess that's one of the many reasons why we are all on here hey? Striving for more and pushing our bodies as much as we can, within the parameters of our abilities and life in general. Let me know how you get on with the Iron tabs!image

Work is too mental at the mo to really focus on running as much as I would like to, as well as everything else but I am loving my running even when I CNBA and even when it hurts more than I think it should. Tonight was my 1st ever interval session with the Tuesday Jsy Spartan crew. Not a great turnout, about 20 runners or so and it was my 1st proper speed sesh in only God knows how long. 6 X 2 mins hard with 6 x 2 min recoveries. It felt like hard work and I didn't have the Garmin on but it was probably close to 5k pace. I'm not as fit as I thought I was but interestingly all the doubles and my increased mileage counted for something as I managed to recover from the shock of the initial first 2 or 3 and finished strong for the last one. I'll be back for more next week and hopefully see some improvement.image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hard work, but I bet you felt great after GM. I'm hoping for a solid week too, my weekend race is away from home with no rivals or pressure to worry about, so I can just enjoy this one.

• Options

Badbark - wear that vest with pride! Congratulations; that's an amazing honour. Really pleased to hear you're 100% fit again - good luck in Dublin.
    Birch - no definite target yet, but I have pencilled in the Raceways Shakespeare Spring Marathon. If I start on Monday 3rd November, that will give me 19 weeks.
    Bike It - good luck with your continued efforts to find a job in South Africa.
    GM - nice intervals.
    OO - good luck in Lausanne this weekend.
    5 slow miles d&d.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow! Plenty of inspiring marathon reports - and even an international vest! Work pretty busy but thankfully today is last working day pre frankfurt. Fly out on Friday image
  • Options

Great run and report VTR. I assume VT is Vermont which is cold in the winter: how do you manage to run when the ground disappears for a few months?

Badbark great news on the vest: I'm sure you'll wear it with pride.

• Options

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!!image You've all been a great source of information and support the past few months.

PMJ, yes, I live in Vermont. I moved here a few years ago from San Diego and I worried initially about the very point you brought up. But in reality, I get it done. I've figured out the right gear for the cold (took some trial and error). But the main thing is we have pretty good snow plowing here and some areas of the city have the sidewalks cleared too. So most of the time I can find some clear surfaces to run on (although clear is a very relative term!). But lots of planning to get runs in before/around storms. I also revert to the (dreaded) treadmill a few times each winter when there is no other alternative. So you can get your volume in but the hardest part is doing solid speed/tempo work. Sometimes it's just too icy for more than easy/moderate pace. This will all factor into training for Boston next year as we have snow on the ground until end of march/early april and the marathon is end of April.

MsE, yes, the race did feel incredible. I've been reliving it in my mind w/a big smile on my face the past couple days. My first marathon was kind of like this. I went out very conservative as wasn't sure what to expect and ran a 5 minute negative split. But felt terrific. Next race felt gassed from early miles on (but still managed a negative by 40 seconds). Then ran my recent spring race where I collapsed near the finish. So didn't think it was possible to "race" a marathon and feel so good. This was an inspiring finding for me!

Sporty Badger, a number of things helped on this run. I think the main thing was just getting consistent training in for the past year. I have run since August 2013 without major injury (knock wood!). My previous PB was done on a build up that was marred by ITBS so lost about 5 good weeks in the middle. Or perhaps it was the Hoka Cliftons??!!imageimage Seriously though, my DOMS has been just a fraction of what I normally get (and I think this has a lot to due w/the super cushioning of these 7.5 oz shoes; yes that statement is a paradox!). Today I'm having no problems on the stairs and could run if needed. Normally my most severe pain is today/tomorrow.

• Options

Great mara reports and racing, I almost want to sign up for a mara ..almost ! image

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    VTr- fantastic run and a really strong finish, which is something I haven't quite mastered yet as I'm usually hanging on for grim death at all distances.

Your heart rate is very low, is that max working heart rate? Mine averaged 156 which is about 87% max.

Badbark- what great honour to run for your country, congratulations!

Bike it- did you suffer from a bit of nipple chafing? I tried some 'nip guards', worked a treat.

Still hobbling about here, very sore quads yesterday.

I'm tempted to go out for an easy ride on my bike tomorrow but definitely no running for a few days.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Amazing the barriers some runners have to plan for and overcome to achieve their goals. I've lived in a lot of places, but none as challenging as that VT. 

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Yes I had rather severe nipple chaffing. I normally use wide plaster style tape. The corners normally lift but it is good enough. I left it at home on Sunday.

Only moderate soreness for me which has subsided today so probably I will run tomorrow. Do that indicate Sunday's run was caused by metabolic limitations?
  • Options

Badbark, forgot to congratulate you on the ultimate honor! Incredible.

OO, despite the obstacles, I actually enjoy winter running very much. And never does a hot shower feel so good as after those runs. The biggest drawback is all the laundry (another very legitimate reason my wife is not fond of my running!).

Moof, my max HR is ~200 so the 160 is about 80% of max (and right near/just under my LT). The training I do is HR based. I basically do 2 sessions per week of 70 minutes at this 80% HR (plus a LR and the rest of days easy running). The whole point of the training plan is to push the LT up. When I started this 2 years ago I could not run for 70 min @ 80% comfortably, but now can and each cycle I get faster at this HR. What I really need to do now is start pushing my training up so I can run comfortably at 85% of maxHR (which seems to be where you are). I think it will be possible in future builds, but so far have only been able to master 80% in a given 4 month window. Still working on building my aerobic engine so to speak.

• Options

Jools - good luck for this weekend.
    VTr - very dedicated to work around the climate!
    moof - hope you have a good recovery.
    8 steady miles d&d.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jools - all very best wishes for Sunday - I'm confident you'll achieve your deserved goal . . . . .

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Did my now traditional 7M with 2 @ PMP last night and it came out at 6.38s.  First 1/2 mile felt absolutely vile and then by the end it was cruisey, so feeling fairly confident that my planned 4.09/km (that's 6.40s in old money) should be ok.  Weather forecast isn't too bad and apart from feeling ridiculously lethargic and sluggish I'm pretty calm.

• Options

Sounds very promising Jools. You will be great!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you are ready and in perfect shape Joolska.

VT- I actually like running in snow also- before it goes slushy that is.

Another solid 7 here in Switzerland. Tomorrow will be my last run, nice and easy then rest Saturday. I'm hoping for 37 min 10km- there it is!  

• Options

Moof - enjoy a well earned rest image

VTR- so is sub LT just slower than LT then I did wonder !

GUL- nice 8 

Jools- sounds like you are ready 

00-51- nice target !

AM- 3 mile hard in a 6 miler after nightshift ! (6:36,6:41,6:34)

PM- 5 miles easy in a rainstorm- nice !

• Options

Jools, good luck!

Leslie, yes, just under LT. Ideally, you get this effort level mastered by doing tons of miles at it and supposedly on race day you can maintain for the full 26.2. Which I now know can work. The coach (HADD aka Walsh) that came up with this plan said that if you are fully trained, your subLT can be as high as ~87% of your maxHR. That's my goal now is to see if I can keep raising it up from the current 80-82% range.

OO, like the bold statement. Good luck chasing it down!

Gul, seems you are back to your normal ways. How is the body feeling?

Here DOMS is nearly gone. Might sneak out for a few miles tomorrow.

It's been nice taking a break from running this week, but I'm kind of going stir crazy too. And calming that by eating waaaaaay too much food! Not getting on the scale anytime soon...

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Jools - you'll be brilliant

I stepped on the scales to stop my gluttony VTR. I have been very much over doing on the food.

Started to run again and did some faster running for a change, albeit downhill. Anyway 6 miles banked with 2 miles at pace. I'm already contemptaing another marathon, to get rid of the bad taste from the mouth so to speak
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTR - No need to rush back but I get the stir crazy buzz. Take it easy.

OO - That would be a very tasty WAVA but within your grasp. Good luck!

Bike it - I had terrible nipple chaffing when I did London last year. It's more painful afterwards and takes a few days to settle down. Good luck with the SA job hunt.

Gul - More solid miles d&d!

Did a very hill 5.3k lunch run today and beat my previous course pb by 5 seconds, hurrah! It's a very tough run with about 300ft of ascent over 800m. I was near crippled by the time I reached the top but recovered well and pushed on and down the hill and then hard into a strong headwind. I didn't feel as though I was running that fast and didn't have my Garmin, only had a stopwatch but was pleased to see 6:50 average pace for that run. Went down to watch the 5k run tonight (had my biy with me) and it was a good turnout by Jsy standards and some fast runners pitched up. Winner was a footballer in 16:08 followed by about 6 or so more sub 17 guys. It was great to see so many new faces too but it made think I bet get training or else I will be further down the pecking order than I already am!image

• Options

Jools - sounds very promising.
    OO - good luck hitting your the target.
    Leslie - excellent 3 hard miles.
    VTr - not feeling 100% at the moment - bit of a high temperature and head cold. Hope your recovery goes well.
    Bike It - glad to hear you haven't lost your motivation.
    GM - nice course PB - looking good.
    12 miles d&d - first 8 very slow, then picked up the pace after a toilet stop to make up the lost time!