Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jools - you deserve all the plaudits you've received, so I'm sure you can handle another - well done ! It's great when all the hard work comes together in a phase like the one you're currently experiencing image

Another cracking time by MsOO noted

Poacher - 56 mara/ultra - one for every mile of Comrades, and a suitably eccentric recovery run !! 

supported MsB at XC yesterday (won by a certain L Weightman who turned up as a guest) , then 5 miles to complete 44 for the week (my 1,500th week of recorded training)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the delayed report I stayed on in the Lakes today and forgot to take phone or tablet. Perfect condition in Brampton yesterday and due to my doubts I ran a sensible race, paced for me by my pal for the first 8 miles, the 6 ft. 5,  16 stone giant. He kept me honest and we nudged just under 6 min miles for the first 7, going through 10km in about 37. The course gets tougher for the last 3 miles with several undulations and changes in surface. With 20 secs in the bag I started to leak seconds 6:05 for 8 then 9. Feeling exhausted I needed to run a 6:10 last mile, which I haven't managed in previous years (last year was 6:16 last mile). I gave it everything overtaking several fading runners who would all fail to break the hour. A kind of wobbling sprint finish saw me sneak under the hour by 5 seconds with 59:55.

This was a season defining race. Sub 60 is a V50 PB in my last A race of the year, to add to the PB's at parkrun and marathon this season. Over the hour would have felt bad and ended the season on a low. Never did 5 secs mean so much, especially after 60:38 last year and 60:12 the year before.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Splendid, OO - sub 60 as a V50 is excellent work. Many congratulations ! 

• OO!  Such good news: (a) that you are alive and (b) on a really great result.  That must be a very high age-grading?  Of course 1.00.05 would have been almost as good as an age-grading, but somehow those round numbers mean such a lot...  I hope you celebrated in style - and merited some V50 silverware!

• Great run there OO. Sub-hour is big and you deserve it.

• OO - I knew you could/would do it. Wow what a happy weekend in your family. What an amazing year you have had running wise. Totally top notch running.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well run there OO, very nice.
  • 0051- Brilliant run well done image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

The V50 prize was £15 cash, which was quickly spent at the bar image Great 10k for you too . Lots from my club were also in Leeds and our star V50 ran the fastest 10 in the world this year...(31:43) You too PMJ, showing good progress.  

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Great racing from OO, Jools & Poacher. Jools, your times have been tumbling this year across all distances. Do you think that's just down to consistent training, or is there anything you've changed?

Also excellent to see good miles being logged by many, and Fishy's injury comeback continuing. TR, how did you go at Gosport? My now ex-running buddy went sub-90 for the first time. Chuffed for him, but also rather jealous as I've always been quicker than him over most distances, and I feel that's a time I should have been getting this autumn!

Injury comeback progressing slowly but surely. 24 miles last week across 7 short runs (longest of 5 miles), so getting frequency up before worrying about distance. Speed will follow once the weekly miles are well back into the 30/40 region again.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Abbers - you are doing the right thing with the frequency first. Hopefully your sub90 will be next year. I had a solid day at gosport. 79:33, so just over a minute slower than last year but I hadnt done the same amount of miles and didnt taper. Think thatlordshill was a better pound for pound performance. I wasnt on top form yday. Good blowout though.
  • Abbers: I'd say mostly consistency.  Basically for the last 2 years I've only had 3 periods when I haven't been able to train as planned: just before VLM 2013 (flu); calf tear (August 2013 - but I could cross train) and just before Christmas 2014 (flu).  So out of 104 weeks, I've only missed 4 and I've probably hit 60-70 mpw consistently for about 70 of the remaining 100 weeks.  Finally breaking 3 hours last year after a lot of failures did a lot for my confidence and although a positive mental attitude isn't a substitute for training, you need the PMA as well as the training.  And I think I'm probably a couple of pounds lighter than I tended to race at before (although not just at the moment: I've certainly enjoyed my end of season rest and relaxation period!).

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good one, TR - you keep bagging excellent results within your family first training routine. 

• Massive cojones OO, that's a time the vast majority of runners can only dream of let alone us OG50's. Excellent work. Ditto TR. And +1 Joolska, the value of consistent consistency and hard work is obvious.

Nice comeback too Abbers
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO - what a year you've had after sounding as if it was all over with your hip problems. What a great finish and well deserved. So, what's the target for next year...?

Jools - great post. You're right. It's the consistent weeks/months that make the difference. I'm pleased to hear to weren't hitting the dizzy heights of 100+ mpw for your massive pb. I believe it's quality not quantity and this shows it. I could do with some weight loss tips - I seem to be eating more now I'm training less!

Abbers - very sensible. Sorry, I've forgotten - what was your injury?

TR - nice blowout indeed.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Leslie - yes, 0.1 was really by chance. I was just pleased to be finally running that I hadn't been checking how far I'd gone through the week. 

00-51 - excellent racing once more. 5 precious seconds & a nice prize to help with celebrations. 

TR - 79:33 is certainly a good blowout. Nice work. 

Abbers - glad to read that you're injury comeback is on track. I'm also going to try for a bit more frequency. All nice & slowly though. 

2.7 easy miles tonight just under 23 minutes + a circuit of PJs. Rt knee still aok

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im only 47 though. I still need to be doing it in 3 years like OO.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

OO!!!!! image Wonderful racing and what an amazing time, let alone for a more seasoned gentleman such as yourself!

TR - sub-80 on reduced training is really impressive.  Well done!

Pleased to read you are getting back into things Abbers although I do understand that feeling of wistfulness. I spent ages with that feeling and probably still have it as I am no further than I was really when I started racing in 2011. I just have better form and know how to not injure myself anymore!  Although going by Jools's last post, this should be all I need to progress now image

Minni - feeling good about your forthcoming surgery?  I am so excited for you that it is all going to get mended and you will be out there again one day. We need to find another ultra to enter as a team!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

/ reading back and I hope I don't sound like I think OO is ancient.... image  ::fetches coat and hat::

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    MsE - yes! I'm actually getting very excited!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed all will be well afterwards. There are no guarantees but it seems there is no evidence of deteriation of joints visible on the scans. The labrum is 1/3 torn but they won't know the state of this till they go in and there is one bit of bone that might need shaved but not for definite. The pain in my buttock is not directly related but they can't find any reason for it so we're hopeful it's referred pain and getting the tear sorted will then enable me to strengthen all that area through time. 6 months and I should be back!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Have you considered giving them a laundry list of things to do when they go in?  I've often thought about all the things that could be fixed if they went in to look at my achilles.  For now, I'll just bide my time waiting for my children's achilles to grow until they are big enough for transplanting... image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Haha! They did say they will pull the joint out and give it a good checking over while I'm under but wouldn't go as far as a boob job!
  • Leslie - good double.
    Birch - 1500th week of recorded training - that is amazing!
    OO - congratulations on a massive achievement.
    Abbers - I'm sure your patience will pay off very soon. Steady as she goes.
    TR - cracking half considering you didn't taper.
    Fishy - I presume that circuit was nothing to do with nightwear. Good news on the knee.
    Minni - you're sounding very positive.
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• Super fab stuff from you OO - clearly MsOO's performance inspired you on to even dizzier heights!

Wishing you all the best with the op Minni - hopefully it means you'll be toeing the starting line at Comrades 2016.

Good to hear that you're on the comeback trail Abbers. Very sensible approach to ease yourself back into things.

Easy commuting runs for me yesterday; just over 8 undulating miles this morning.

• Joolska - YES for consistency!  For me, a decent training partner also helps with things like threshold runs.
    Unfortunately I'm about to loose that, as my Achilles has flared up again.  Been there twice before, it is a frustrating journey back as you can just feel the fitness leaching out of you, hopefully the timing will leave me clear for marathon training post Christmas - but I'll be entering it from a depleted base...

• Congrats on the great racing at the weekend esp Jools 10k PB (and 00 junior too).

And WOW, what a 10 mile time !! Certainly a defining race time at any age, but moreso at 50

Great impromptu marathon Poacher and a very respectable time. How did you pace that one, were you consistent on the mile splits or did you try and do lap splits?

Good weekly mileage Leslie and brilliant accumulative weekly training Birch!

Good comeback miles Abbers, slowly and surely.

Brilliant blow out time TR @ Gosport

Interesting about your training Jools. Out of the those consistent 60 - 70 mile weeks, what kind of pace would you be running at?

Take it easy 40 minutes

My first 50 mile week for a while last week with a 16 miler & Parkrun Saturday and an XC race on Sunday. The XC was a muddy and hilly affair (aren't they all), but I think the previous days effort dampened my race.

Roll next Sunday for Maravan!

• Abbers - keep the comeback rolling image

Fishy- making progress again

Minni- goodluck with the op. I think Jool's mara prep though peaked near 90m a week(she will correct if i'm wrong) , which is a lot of quantity in anybodies book !image

Birch-1500 weeks is a lot , are you stiill getting faster too ?image

Mse- if only we could all get new bits for the worn out ones , we would probably all start looking like the terminator and they would soon outlaw it as cheating in races image

40 mins - not the bench again image

long run today 11.5 miles d&d.

• Sad to hear Knight Rider creator Glen Larson has died, a show that gave so much on Saturday nights and also predicted the future too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30079115

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30087369

• KR: it's generally P&D's 55-70 mpw schedule, so most of it is fairly steady aerobic running: 7.50-8.20m/m.  The quality work is gradually getting faster (helped by getting to my club sessions when I can), but there hasn't been a significant increase in my 'normal' training pace.

• Loving Minni's positive attitude to pain
    Nice miles KR, Leslie, Lorenzo
    Shame about the Achilles 40m

Plans for a gentle recovery jog went to pot this morning as after a mile or so I bumped into Tony Audenshaw who kindly invited me to share the pain of his hill session. 3 x 0.5m up a rough steep farm road, culminating in fabulous views over the Peak District. Shouldn't be doing anything like this 2 days after a mara. It really hurt but that must be a good thing. Ought to try to make this a weekly blast.