Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul (!) 15 & posting by 7:15, 18 & posting by 7:04 . . . . . . .
    and you seemed quite sane when we met at Mable  image  

good parkrun, Leslie - and weekly total.   

good luck tomorrow, Lorenzo - and any others racing

13 with the "fogeys" this a.m. (as my daughter calls us) - but she did heroically accompany us today (staying with me overnight, she was out with pals, back to mine at 01:40, then up at 06:30 to commence run at 07:15)

• Options

Blimey, your daughter clearly needs no sleep! I was also running with fogeys today at the Masters International just down the road at Wollaton Park. I entered the open race. Had a shocker. Set off as if I were fit. I'm not. I died a death. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Speedy, nowt like XC to expose fitness deficiency, but it's good to see you getting back to it; sure by the New Year you'll be flying  . . .
    (btw, she does need the kip, its just she'd committed to the run & to stay here to facilitate the early (for her) start, but then was lured out by pals for "an hour at the pub")  . . . . .

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    The start of any XC is always way to fast! I'm sure the next one will be better.

Lorenzo - what did you buy??

Gul - Merry Christmas!
  • Options

Merry Christmas Gul!

good luck to Lorenzo, PMJ and anyone else racing tomorrow

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good dedication from young miss birch

Abbers - stubbington and chichester are entered. Maybe salisbury after that.

Pmj - never heard of that marathon. Is it a proper campaign or your 3:15 gfa gatherer?
  • Options

Easy, controlled parkrun this morning. Pretty much 6;30 average and 6:30 splits for 4th. XC in the rain tomorrow.

• Options
    TR wrote (see)

Pmj - never heard of that marathon. Is it a proper campaign or your 3:15 gfa gatherer?

GFA

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18:30 parkrun for me but felt pretty shabby after a lazy week. Up early for 15 mile plod- it's been a few weeks since I did a long run.

I also thought about XC speedy (harrier league in Durham) but conditions were very muddy and I thought I'd give my legs the easy parkrun option. I think my club men had the same thought as our mens team came last and are struggling at the bottom of the table. Probably ideal for your comeback training.   

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Nice park running 00 and PMJ.

Leslie - another great set of miles for the week.

Great mileage from Gul too.

Speedy - Woolaton Park; at least you 'died your death' in pleasant surroundings.

8 very easy miles this morning at about 8:40s. The furthest I've run since RHM and a total for the week of 22.7 (sorry Leslie, I'll aim for an exact total next week!) over 5 runs. A little achy in the knee, but a good ache, if you know what I mean.

• Options

Minni - I was very restrained. I only bought, er, 2 new pairs of shoes (one off road, one road), 2 jackets (both massively reduced), 2 tops, a pair of shorts and a box of Beet It bars. 

Speedy - don't be disheartened. You are still on the comeback trail so the form and the fitness will come back.

Good shows from the parkrun gents.

I'm sure many of you will have seen this from the MT posts on Bookface, but if you haven't it's well worth watching if you want to get a sense of what battling with adversity is all about: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11909407&ex_cid=sportscenterTW 

Epsom 10 for me this morning - pouring with rain on an undulating course (especially for the first half) which meant plenty of puddles (above ankle high in places) coupled with some fairly inconsiderate driving resulting in something of a soaking by the end.

All in all, a combination of factors that didn't give me much confidence for a decent time but I was aiming for sub-70 (compared to a PB of 65:30ish on a dry, flat course). Reined back after a fast downhill first mile (6:05!) and fortunately tagged along with another bloke from 5 miles onwards.

Upshot was that we both ended up gunning it in the last mile and I was pretty chuffed to a. put the hammer down in the last 400m to beat him and b. get under 67 minutes (66:45 ish). image

PB for Mrs L as well, so all round a good morning - just about dried off and warmed up now!

• Options

Er, very restrained spending there Lorenzo. I dread to think what would have happened if you'd gone on a spending spree!

14 muddy miles for me this morning trying out a new route. I'll be saving that one for summer methinks.

• Options

XC today but it was a lack lustre performance from me. 91st overall and my previous worst was 50th. Started slowly and just slowed down as the race went on. I have a niggle in my left buttock and I think it is probably time to take a few weeks easy to sort out the niggles before pushing on again next year. Makes the whole decision process of juggling a XC season with marathon preparation over the coming months much easier.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

wise decision PMJ..

• Options

00-51- another cracking parkrun, that would win my local one 8 out of 10 weeks id say image

Fishy- every 0.1 counts most of my 6 milers are infact 6.2 image

Lorenzo- great shopping and racing in tough conditions and always nice to take a scalp in a sprint finish image 

Speedy- don't worry I'm getting back at it too and way of the pace !

PMJ- hope you get you mojo back and the niggle settle.

Bloody cold this morn with icy windscreens to scrape so glad I had  no running planned till this evenings easy 6m (6.2)image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Completely different up North Leslie, cloudy but mild with no wind. 14 for me.  

I had a little on-line splash too Lorenzo- a few christmas presents for myself- mainly winter necessities.Rude not to...

• Options

Nothing here. I've decided to think long term and concentrate on rule 3:  http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/11/training/the-new-off-season-rules_45467/1

i love triathlonimage 

• Options

Slokey- you will never be able to do nothing image Give up now !

• Options
    I've been applying rule 3 recently and I'm not even a triathlete! Mm mm. Cake image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice racing Lorenzo. image

Live that article SJ. Like Jools I'm also meeting the No 3 expectation. I love that's it's now ok to be 10lb heavier!

Now I've got used to the idea I'm dying to get into tri. image
  • Options

Massive mileage being clocked up by you at the moment Gul!

Good park run time OO-51 & 15 mile LSR

Shame about the XC Speedy, but like the setting off as if you were fit part!

Good result from you Lorenzo with both the running gear shop AND the great 10 mile time.

No ice with us yet Leslie, just lots of rain!

• Options

Maravan today at Cleethorpes caravan park, an impromptu marathon with no specific mara training in the bag.

I entered this 10 days ago purely on the basis of the name Maravan and the fact it was 7 laps round a caravan park. I thought I might have a bit of fitness left over from my half marathon training in October. Last weeks training ended up being 50 miles with my long run of 16 (my longest run since the Manchester marathon in April) and this week was more of a mini taper. In order to get to the pre race registration and the start of 9.00am I had to get up at 5am and leave the house at 6am for a 2 hour 100 mile car journey. Arrived in good time to pick up my number and get to the start. There were only 40 runners able to enter and this was made up of some double runners who had run the day before, single day runners like myself and a few relay teams.

It had rained all night and rained the whole of the race too. There were loads of large puddles that were unavoidable and the grass sections we ran on were muddy to say the least. The actual course had quite a few twists and turns, with 2 horse gates to hurdle and 1 gate where it's best to go through sideways (to stop bikes). I knew pace would be the key today to actually make it in 1 piece to the finish, so I started off über careful at around 8.20 pace. This helped a lot as I was chatting with other runners and also sussing out the route round the caravan park. Route markings varied between flour arrows on the road, laminated A4 signs that flapped in the wind & rain and bits of black & yellow tape hanging fro trees. So in some way this helped pass the time, although was tough to start with. After the first lap and a wee stop I had averaged the first 4 miles in 8.19 pace and was feeling ok. One of the ladies I had been chatting to earlier was quite a way in front (after my wee stop) so I tried to catch her up. I planned to try and get my average pace down 1 second per mile to get my (unofficial, no really it's just for fun) target time of 3.30.

Slowly I was able to catch her up and pass a few other too, but always keeping a lid on my pace. The weird thing about the Maravan is there are no mile markers. A good thing I guess as there is no mental torture of the mile countdown. I was wearing my old garmin 410 which doesn't buzz when I do a mile, so unless I kept looking I didn't know my mile splits, but just average pace. I went through halfway (this time I was keeping an eye out) in 1.46.xx, so I knew I was close to my target unless I hit the wall. Luckily by the time I got to 20 miles i was doing fine and went through in 2.39.xx. This gave me confidence that I would actually be ok for the full distance.

The last mile was strangely ok and I managed a 7.36 mile and went through the 26.2 miles in 3.27.34 and finished the course (which was a bit long! 26.55 on the garmin) in 3.29.43 and 3rd overall. Winner did 3.10.31 & 2nd was 3.25.55.

So the lesson I have learnt today is pacing is king.

• Options

PMJ - just under 16 weeks to go till the Raceway Spring mara, so need to be doing 20+ milers very soon. My plan was to do my MLR the day before my long run, back-to-back, to try and improve endurance. At the moment, just very slow long runs, so should be ok, I hope. After Christmas, if I am doing MP+10% or fast finish long runs, then I'll make the MLR shorter and move it back to earlier in the week. Take care of the niggles, now, after the XC.
    Leslie - nice parkrun!
    Birch - these young folk, eh?!
    Speedy - maybe you're not quite there yet, but the hard work will pay off.
    OO - good parkrun and early long run.
    Fishy - 8 miles is good progress.
    Lorenzo - good racing - not good conditions yesterday; I hear the Norwich HM was a washout too. Congrats to Mrs L!
    SJ - I don't own a set of weighing scales, so not sure about rule 3 - trying very hard though.
    KR - podium!!! Well done on a very controlled race. Hopefully that's boosted your confidence.
    3 mile recovery run to start my cut-back week d&d.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great stuff, KR - love the idea of entering 'cos you liked the name ! (but don't love it enough to ever enter myself).   I expect Poacher will be there in due course  . . . . .

Gul - ah, your plan is clear now - 16 weeks doesn't seem that far away, compared with 22 to VLM.  

Just realised yesterday's easy 7 took me to 2003 for the year, with a few weeks left, inc 2 mara campaigns; pleased my knee seems to have coped  . . .

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all, another good weekend on the thread by the sounds of things.

Speedy - having been out for a while, it's bound to take a bit of time before you're back to pre-injury levels of form and fitness. It's a gradual process, don't be too disheartened.

Gul - good miles you're doing, put together another solid 16 weeks on the back of your efforts at Mable, and you'll go well.

TR - usual local suspects in January/Feb then!

KR - impromptu marathon running. Not sure that will catch on, at least for most of us! You're obviously in decent aerobic shape though. Good podium.

Birch - kudos to Miss Birch. Like to see a bit of commitment! image

Nice miles from Leslie.

Fishy - excellent news that the comeback continues.

Lorenzo - your shopping spree obviously spurred you on to justify the spending in your 10 miler! Very good result given a) the course and b) conditions. It was foul yesterday morning.

PMJ - definitely a marathon focus now then! Saves burning too many of TR's matches in the build up, so may be for the best.

OO - good parkrun/long run double.

Apologies to anyone I've missed...

Pleased to report 27 miles for the week from 6 runs, with a "long" run of a whole 6 miles, so cautious progress being made. Hope to be back to 30 this week.

• Options

Starting to get my mind round dates. So Gul is 16 weeks off, VLM is 22 and I have 21 weeks. I need to check my copy of P&D as I try and rest over Christmas and New Year so Sunday Jan 4th gives me 15 weeks and P&D do 18 and 12 week plans.

Also somewhat happy that my marathon is not the VLM week as the marathon talk podium is stacked that week, but the week before is still Manchester which will have enough runners to mean I don't podium.

Good miles birch. What is the usual mileage you do per year?

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Well, 56,396 miles / 1501 weeks, x 52 = annual average of 1954. 
    This is skewed, in that I used to do more in my early years of running - for around a 5 year period in the 1990's I aimed for 2500 per year, (highest was 1992  at 2550 miles; actually slightly under 50mpw).
    Injury has intervened also in recent times; hence
    2008 - 1150 miles (had left knee arthroscopy)
    2009 - 1136 miles - building back after said op
    2010 - 1947 miles
    2011 - 2056 - back to something like it - did Nottm mara
    2012  - 787 miles - right knee injury and ruined Boston campaign
    2013 - 1585 - building back (again)
    2014 - 2003 to date, and 2 mara campaigns, hence cautious satisfaction . . . .

To summarise, I've never been a massive mileage runner (as stated, highest year total 2550).
    Ideally I tend to have "seasons"' so higher miles in mara campaign, then recovery/social running periods.
    I do believe, though, in the consistent consistency approach, and now I'm 60 I don't want to be too far away, at any given time, from being able to start a campaign.
    Hence, since Mable my weekly totals have been 10,35,34,30,46,44,42
    with longer runs of a 12, 2x13, 2x15, and a 18.
    I like to have an annual miles goal in mind, as I find it helps me with motivation to get out of the door. If my legs hold up, that will be 2000 per annum for the next year or few.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

is your marathon in the US, Philip ?

• Options
    Birch wrote (see)

is your marathon in the US, Philip ?

Yes, http://www.carmelmarathon.com, Saturday April 18th. This is not Carmel-by-the-Sea which is in California and where Clint Eastwood was once mayor but Carmel, Indiana: famous for its roundabouts: "Carmel has become the unofficial roundabout capital of the United States" 

I am in Austin, Texas, from April 13th and then the next week I am In New York, so the weekend of 18/19 April is clear for me and there is no point flying back to the UK to spend one night at home and fly back the next day.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Perfect fit - last week of taper & recovery week covers your trip .