Sub 3h15

Comments

• OK, so those who run at Gul o'clock see the sunrise in October...  Because I'm a slacker I left at 6.55am and returned at 8am.  Somehow I just don't seem to manage if I'm awake before 6am and I need about 45 minutes to wake up, eat banana, drink a pint of tea and stuff before I'm ready to hit the roads.

• Mse-Nicely raised ! You win on time on feet image

Lorenzo-nice hilly 9.

Abbers - very sad indeed.

Jools - Its dark for an hour after my run in the morn , and dark 3 hrs before I get out at night again on a school day ,I've no idea what the sun looks like image On an early run i'm up and out no time for tea , if I time it right I arrive at work with about 3 mins to spare image

Richin- welcome back 

8 miles with steep hills today trying out a new route ,going ok but it felt tough .image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

How steep are those hills Leslie? I like a hill I do!  I run a lot of hills and trails here which is why my running can seem so slow.  I also found the hills and trails very restorative when I was in California but while it saves my soft tissue, it does nothing for my turnover or speed.  I also need to inure myself to the hard surfaces that I will race on next year.  It's a fine line we balance on.  That is why I find Birch and OO so inspirational.  Now, if they could just bottle their secrets to longevity in running...

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Leslie - well done on the post-night shift 12 - I certainly remember those, and don't miss them at all !  Good hilly 8 today also - same here, and I see Lorenzo trumps us slightly with a 9 .  (Can't avoid the hills here MsE - the city is built on them )!  btw, if there is a secret to running longevity, I think it must be sheer bloody-mindedness with a helping of luck  . . . .

• In this week's marathon talk, Lorenzo is confirmed as the overall winner of the Lorezno vs MsE Thames Meander Challenge as he is on the podium and she isn't, and in Tony's Trials he is shamelessly name dropping about Poacher.

• Mse- my miles are all onroad , I ran a little on grass as recovery runs earlier in the year though but all flat ground. As for the hills I had 600ft of elevation in the 12 miler and 400ft today . a 2 miler easy hill and a 1/2 mile killer hill that felt like running up an escalator going the wrong way  but it was great flying down it image

I probably don't run anywhere near enough hills and the local mara has lots ..

Birch -you are absolutely right about sheer bloody mindedness image and as for nights the pace tends to drop right of and everything is a struggle.

Must catch up on mara talk !

• Lorenzo - still racking up those hilly miles!
    Abbers - yes, tragic news; does put some things into perspective. Hope the recovery continues well.
    Jools - as Lorenzo and Leslie said, if you saw the sun rise then it's not that early at this time of year!
    RIS - welcome to the thread - do you have a target for Manchester yet?
    Leslie - steep hills? Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking aboutimage
    Birch - more hills!
    PMJ - haven't listened to MT for a while now.
    Still resting my calf here.

• Poacher's fame has now reached the level that other celebs are name checking him to boost their credibility. Mezin.....

• Morning all,

Indeed, sad news from the world of Cricket. There's an interesting article on the BBC today about sportsmen deaths.

Having just had a monster read back of the last week the post that sticks out for me today is (and I've extracted the best bits)

Joolska wrote (see)

I'd say mostly consistency.  Basically for the last 2 years I've only had 3 periods when I haven't been able to train as planned: ......you need the PMA as well as the training.  

I couldn't agree more. If I'm positive in my mind when I train then I train well, if I have a bad session or few days of bad training then this seems to knock my confidence and I start to be less positive about my training.

The biggest leap in my performances followed a consistent section of training, resulting in my first sub 90 half, and this seemed to elevate me to believing I could run faster generally, and generally I have.

Confidence in training give confident performances....

Or Consistent Consistency. image

Talking of CC - Jantasitc kicks off again soon - seeing as we did pretty well last year as a thread, anyone up for a repeat performance?

I like that they are planning on linking it to Strava this year, and having on ly just discovered Strava I'm quite excited about what they are planning...

Now just need to catch up with a years worth of MT podcasts. Good to hear Poacher is making an appearance - but I thought that sort of Media Ta*ting was only to be seen on the Sub3 thread.

• MsE - Waves sent your way too!image

Gul - I'm sorry to hear about your claf strain.

Jools - Another great time there for your 5k, what a year eh!

Abbers - Great to see you are back running again.

Marrows - Hope the hip trouble is easing off now?

Rich - welcome back and I've heard Manchester is a good fast course.

Sorry if I missed out on anyone but hi all and hope you're all enjoying your running.

I've managed to get out for 3 x 5k runs this week. I'm planning some longer runs this weekend as I am free to do so. I basically ruined myself for a wee while after my last race. It was a hard run followed by an even harder speed session two days later that did it, so I took a mini break to let things settle and I feel up for some nice runs this weekend and the weather looks good too!image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes I also thought of the bowler- could he ever commit to a full blooded throw again. All very sad.

Looks like some good runs planned this weekend- enjoy!

• 16.37 miles today (mucked up the stop/start on the Garmin as it was supposed to be an 8 out and back for 16 exactly so my out was too long) at 7:48 pace. All along the Grand Union Canal in homage of poacher (need to get into the name dropping thing too) but just a small section and not the whole thing.

Supposed to be an easy run and up to 12 miles it was but definitely started to feel it over the last 4 miles, but then I ran it from 1pm to 3pm and all I had to eat was a slice of toast at 8am so maybe running on fumes. Pace is OK, 3:05 for the full is 7:03 pace and 7:48 would then be MP+10% which is a fast paced LSR. Plan is to stretch the runs to get up to 20 miles by the end of the year and then start doing more structured (fast finish) runs in the new year.

parkrun tomorrow and then that will be the week's running done so can lie back and watch the rugby and damage a bottle of red wine or two before going back to work on Monday.

• At the risk of becoming insufferably smug, still having the best running year ever. 37.23 at battersea park 10k this morning. And bling for being first lady!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jools, I don't think anyone on here would accuse you of smugness, ever !!
    I think maybe you should now deservedly follow Philip's example (I like your style, PMJ), and " damage a bottle of red wine or two" . Very well done (again) ! 

to return to the mundane; a misty, drizzly 15 mile bimble here 50/50 tarmac/trail

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Jools you rock! When are you going to start coaching??!image
  • Jools - wowzers. You keep going from strength to strength - fab stuff.

I assume it was one of the Self Transcendence events. If anyone hasn't tried them and can get themselves to Battersea Park for 8am, then they're a great chance for a PB at either 5K, 10K or 10 miles. Well organised and a good quality field.

Mud, water and hills for me this morning - 13.5 miles including a stretch of the North Downs Way with a beautifully coloured sky. Very uplifting.

And for all you cooks out there, if you fancy trying something a bit different, go to http://www.randomlists.com/random-country - you then have to pick one of the countries on the list and find a recipe from that particular country. No cheating and selecting another list if you don't fancy what's come up - be courageous! We've ended up with Mongolian tonight and Jamaican tomorrow evening. image

• parkrun done in 19:34 which is a pleasing time after yesterday's long run. I started out fairly conservatively and there was a group of 7 who whizzed away, then a couple behind them, and then another bunch of 4 and me back in 14th. At 1k I pulled past the group of 4 so I was up to 10th (I like to finish in the top 10 unless I need to take it real easy) but from then on there seemed to be a line of people lining up to be passed so I seemed to be passing one guy, then lining up the next one and closing in and passing him. By the last turn I was up to 5th but 6th on the line as a youngster who had paced it even better than me sprinted by. Pacing is definitely key to a good run: 3 of the lead bunch of 7 must have finished 2 minutes back from the 4 who carried on.

• JOOLS- great run! Some pace there in the 10k!

GUL- Hi again, looking to get into the Boston Qualifying time of 3:09:59 for under 40's. Long way off at the moment. Have it in the legs as I've got P.B's in every distance this year. Just need 4 mins and 7 secs off my marathon time to get there.

PMJ- Great mileage, pity about the Garmin! Looking forward to hearing about the more structured LR's. My long run at the moment comprises of CC races of 6 miles! Really need to get the mileage back up!

BIRCH- great 15, I can only dream of that mileage at the moment.

G.M- thanks, good to be back.

no running this week but 6 mile cross country race tomorrow! image

• PMJ - Nice controlled parkrun from you today.

Lorenzo - I like your style! What's on the menu for the Mongolian meal? I'll check it out for sure and let you know.

Jools - Did you get a 5k pb in your 10k or was it a negative split? Take the rest of the year off now!image

Rich - Sounds like an achievable target your aiming for.

Birch/PMJ - Solid miles again! Hehe, damage a bottle of red or two. Love it! Got me thinking now.

Lovely 10k run for me tonight in perfect conditions. Quite warm and a gentle breeze. first 5k in 24:05, 2nd in 22:31. Felt really comfortable and nice to do a longer run for a change. Might even contemplate a 10 miler in the morning. That will be 5 runs this week. Yay!!!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Amazing Jools- another great run in the twilight of the season.

I paced Junior in the parkrun. 19:31 for me and 19:33 for her, just off her PB in tough conditions-1st lady and 7th overall. Then I went off to the XC and ran other 6 miles in heavy mud. Needless to say the wheels came off on the last lap and many of my club pals took my scalp- which seves me right. 

Planning a steady 14 tomorrow to bring up 40 for the week- but I may back off if  I'm struggling image    

• Super stuff Jools! image

Solid parkrunning chaps.

Good luck at the XC tomorrow Rich . Anyone else racing?

Swim course for me today which included video coverage above and below the water. Seems I have a rather unique stroke (not in a good way) - the instructor actually said that she's never seen anything quite like it! Got some great tips and drills to correct it anyway so looking forward to improved form translating into faster times.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    SJ that sounds like a great course. Where did you do it? What exactly is wrong with your stroke??

OO - I loved that XC last year. My favourite course I think. Nice to see Miss OO backing up her pb.
  • OO-51 wrote (see)

Amazing Jools- another great run in the twilight of the season.

I paced Junior in the parkrun. 19:31 for me and 19:33 for her, just off her PB in tough conditions-1st lady and 7th overall.    

Isn't it polite as a pacer to come in behind the pacee?

• Jools, stop it, you're making the rest of us look really bad! image

• Minni, it was with "sleeker swim" at capernwray hall near carnforth. It seems that my left shoulder is hyper flexible and left arm comes right over my head and enters the water in front of my head. Result is my whole body drops in the water and I end up dropping my elbow and pushing down with my palm to lift myself back up and lose a lot of forward propulsion as a result. On the plus side, my right arm is fine and I appeared to have quite good balance and rotation in the water.  Really interesting to see video footage, I had no idea that that was going on.  Get someone to video you from side, front, behind and have a look and compare with footage of a pro swimmer.

Most common issues are poor rotation, low hips/legs, crossing centre line with arms, dropping elbows and generally splashing about

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Interesting. My legs drop too much, apparently. Maybe because I'm not getting all the air out and I maybe because I lift my head too high when breathing rather than keeping one eye in the water. It's so technical! I'm definitely going to get the video analysis done at some point.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

It was great Minni a classic course I'd say , but I was truely cr*p.

That was the plan PMJ until a V55 came steaming past us on the home straight. Two old men in a sprint finish- not a pretty sight...  

• Jools - nice result and podium placing image

PmJ- good parkrun.

Gerard- nice negative split  10k 

Slokey-swim video- it must be getting serious now image

00-51- never miss a sprint finish image

6.7 mile this morn standing in for Gul which brings me to 234 mile for November.image