Sub 3h15

Comments

• I'll only be racing XC and the Loughborough half I think. The longer ones I do as progressive training runs.

• I'm not ambitious enough to race anything other than an A race at the moment.

I have, however, run 9 days in a row.... Streak!!

• It's definitely true that racing gets in the way of training. I just did 4 autumn maras, like a dim-witted moth to a flame, but now reaping the benefits of not racing.

60m last week and starting to feel vaguely fit again.

Lorenzo (1) not doing the CC45, will be in the Charleston gym (2) I have actually been to Benin, and your cooking sounds much nicer than anything available there!
  • XPost nice streak Slokey - only 356 days until you can call it a year...
  • Well then Benin is off my list!

356 days? Hmmmm

Good luck tomorrow Minni. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

My next race is 1st January. A couple of weeks easy training for my dodgy hip. Then from Jan. VLM training starts in earnest. If my hip gets better I'll probably make it a another serious campaign, but if not (which is more likely) I may have to settle GFA qualifier time.

You are obviously as tough as old boots Poacher- my old bod could never stand that many marathons so close together...   

• Ah yes...no races now = replace the base! 60M last week and depending on an impending storm may see similar numbers this week. HR falling back to premarathon levels and body finally feels fully recovered.

...but am feeling a little itchy to get into a race of some kind...

BTW OO, what is your marathon PR? I assume it's shockingly fast like all your other distancesimage

SJ, you're grooving now.

Poacher, you are indestructible. I would be ashes. I've run 4 marathons in total...over 3 years! I like the moth to flame analogy, but I conjured up Bart Simpson continually reaching for the cupcake despite getting shocked each timeimage

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    OO-51 wrote (see)

That's a pretty light schedule before VLM Nayan. I'll probably do 5-6 races before VLM in the new year (excluding parkruns). This will include at least 1 and possibly 2 * 20 milers. Horses for courses I guess.... 

Food for thought then. The 5k series is monthly so I guess that puts me  near 6 races if all goes well.  I hadn't thought of racing 20milers I must say. 

• Lorenzo - shame about the ankle, but a good result for family and club.
    Nayan - I don't think many people would race a 20 miler unless it were their main one.
    Having second thoughts about doing the Spring marathon now. Maybe after 12 months of back to back marathon campaigns it might be wise to wait till the Autumn and concentrate on shorter distances again for the Spring. Not sure.
    Anyway, pleased to report no niggles after 4 slow miles this morning.

• Gul - fortunately I didn't turn my ankle too badly. It was a bit sensitive during the race but seemed to be OK by the evening. Hopefully I'll be OK with trail running in future but suspect I'll have to give XC a miss as it's more risky when you're a. running fast and b. following right behind someone so can't see what's on the route as well. Good news from you ref the niggles.

Interesting thoughts re the value of longer races in the run up to a marathon. A half 5 or 6 weeks out was the only one I did in the run up earlier this year other than a couple of parkruns, including one the weekend before which I'd really recommend, if only to stop taper madness setting in too strongly!! I did a 21 mile race about a month out the previous year and with hindsight that was a mistake as there were definitely a few matches left out on the course.

Poacher - shame you won't be there. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks before deciding about entering just to get back into the swing of a few 20+ milers this month; it's either that or having the discipline to plan in some 4/5 hour runs in the New Year.

9 chilly, hilly miles in the dark for me today.

• 7 chilly miles for me - it took 3 miles for the legs to warm up and and about 5 for the hands to freeze...

• Nothing here as I feel absolutely carp. Been coughing up yuck for the past 24 hours and can barely summon the energy to type let alone anything else.

• Gul, just found that my 2 week USA trip with a marathon weekend between is now one week Rome, one week USA so marathon plans may need to be juggled and The Spring Shakespeare may be back on.

• Slokey-nice streak, your on a roll 

Gul- good news you are back 

Lorenzo-keep the matches dry 

Jools-its 8c here though doesn't really feel it with the wind.

Gerard- not the lurgy 

PMJ-decision decisions 

6 lethargic miles hope I'm not coming down with something too image

• Lorenzo - definitely chilly out there this morning and now getting rather breezy too.
    Jools - must admit, I wore gloves this morning.
    GM - get well soon.
    PMJ - well, in that case it would be very rude of me not to race the Spring Shakespeare too. Shame about the Carmel marathon for you though - sounds much more exciting than running round a disused airfield.
    Leslie - hope you don't have the lurgy.
    And in case you're wondering, no, I haven't been out for a double todayimage

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

30 minutes in the gym for me- and that doesn't happen very often. I thought it would give my hip a rest.

Nayan I ran a few seconds under 3 hours this year in VLM which is my PB. I actually ran Paris and London a week apart this year, which was not a great plan- but times were very similar.

Take care GM, there seems to be a lot of flu about now the weather has changed....

• OO - hope the rest from running helps the hip.
    6 easy miles this morning and all is still well.

• Gul, OO - Thanks. This is not a pleasant one at all. No food consumed for the past 32 hours. Gul - good news that the calf is behaving and you back to it. The rest did you good.

• OO - I seem to remember it was more than "a few seconds" under 3 hours!!

GM - get well soon, but don't rush back into things.

Gul - sounds promising. Glad that you'll be working towards a Spring marathon. Have you worked out how to see who's on the Jantastic team yet

8.5 undulating miles this morning. Nothing of note to report.

BTW - it's got to be time for the Christmas names again, hasn't it? Will be giving it some thought today. image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

OK, I've slept on it and 3 + 5 still doesn't equal 8. image

Get well soon GM!  Hydrate hydrate hydrate at least if you aren't eating. : stern look ::

Pleased to see you have bounced back and are considering the next marathon,  GD. With your current fitness and speed I think a spring one will be an excellent time for you to try again.

OO the speeds you travel at surely mean that the joints/moving parts get used a lot when you run.  Hope the rest has you fit again soon.

It is all undulations round these parts isn't it Lorenzo? I've only found one route to do flat MRP miles on so far.

• 10 @ 8.04 for me this morning. Because I don't head out at Gul o'clock I got to see the sunrise. Much milder than yesterday so no frozen hands, either.
  • Hohoho etc

Up and out early here for 3 moose-like miles. Strangely enjoyable and the streak continues...

Hope you recover soon GM. Sounds grim!

• Liking the Xmas name changes!

Good running being done peeps. I think December can be a tough one to keep up consistent mileage with all that 's going on and being the end of the year.

Still looking for a Spring mara to enter and Milton Keynes looks a favourite. Anyone done that one?

• Hmmm - not sure about this one, but it's the best I can do so far!

MJ - what on earth is a moose-like mile?

ChristMsE - I've got a few loops that I define as rolling rather than undulating which I use for speed work and there's quite a good 20+ mile loop that ends up by the canal but once you start heading south you have to go onto the ridge and there's plenty of up and down. In a slightly masochistic way, I prefer the hills to the flat.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It's that time of year again. Hi ho ho

GM - get that chest checked out.

There's a great sense of spring marathon training approaching. I'm going to miss it - it's my favourite time of the year.

Pleased to have got my mile swim done on Monday night prior to going under the knife yesterday.

Repair has been carried out and bits of something cut off. 2 Crutches for 2 weeks and minimum weight bearing until I see the physio in two weeks then we'll take it from there.
  • Lurgy here too! Cough,cough! Cannot get into the bit these past few months!

So what's the jantastic team name this year? Same as last year?

Minnie- hope the op went well, two weeks on crutches! Good excuse to endulge over Xmas and come out the other side fighting. image
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Get well soon Minni Mistletoe!  Recover well and recover strong.

So as not to be left out I seem to have succumbed to A Virus too.  I thought I felt awful on my 10 miler this morning and now I know why!  Get well soon all.

• Fingers crossed for you Minni M. Hope it's not too painful at the moment.

RTnT - yup, same name as last year. 

Get well soon to all the lurgy sufferers - younger Lorenzito has been off school with something today so hopefully all the beetroot juice I've been drinking will protect me.

• I ran yesterday and it was a horrendous snot fest, so given the hurricane, or weather bomb or whatever it is that's howling outdoors, I'm not running tonight. Instead I'm planning my outfit for Friday night's work Xmas do.

I can't be bothered to change my forum name, so how about you all pretend I'm CC2 Santa Goth for a while.