Sub 3h15

Comments

• SSC- Like PMJ said, It's a massive difference from the 3:24 to sub 3. I had a P.B of 3:23 for 5 years before finally putting in a hard graft last winter and taking it down to 3:14. There was a big difference in the way I approached the training for the quicker effort. Long runs are not enough to get you over the line in sub 3:15 your going to have to mix it up. I found the HMP runs were the key! when you can run 10 miles at 7:00mm it gives you great confidence to do the marathon at 7:20ish mm. In my experience, keep the LR's but up the milage on the quicker stuff too over the weeks. I start at 4miles at MP and get up to 10miles. I do it on the Saturday so I am running my LR on tired legs. Hope this makes sense?

Minnie- I have that Garmin and it is just the ticket, wish you a speedy recovery and good luck in your first Tri. I'm also doing a sprint in April.

17 mile Beach run for me tomorrow into the wind! great stuff! going to be a slog!

happy running tomorrow all. 

• Belated Happy Christmas to one and all - hope Santa brought plenty of running related gifts and you've been able to get out there and enjoy the (very) fresh air!

Welcome to ND2 and ssc. Good luck to Minni with the tri - brave lass!!!

My presents included a couple of books (Charlie Spedding and Alberto Salazar) + a body fitness test at Surrey Sports Park.

Have been up in North Yorkshire with the in-laws for the last couple of days so managed to nip out for a couple of 11 milers on both Xmas morning and Boxing Day, followed by the York parkrun this morning. Very cold and a bit slippery in places (though not as much as ND2's, Speedy's and Jools' experiences) so happy with 19:33.

Think I'll tackle Box Hill tomorrow morning.

• Evening all. Back in Jersey after a fab trip to Belgium. Loved every minute of it. Will defo go back. Just checked my Garmin and did 28 miles in 3:33 in 3 days of running and very happy with the general feeling of it after the lurgy etc. Even managed to reignite my brother in law's passion for running after a sustained period of injury and disillusion with running. Need to look at some races now to get a bit of focus.

Great park running by all. So want that to be something that materialises over here, and soon!

Bike it - Great to hear from you. Hope the move down south goes well!

Nick/SSC - Welcome and please do stick around. The more the Merrier!image

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice, looking

forward to giving some updates as the runs progress!

• A tad cold out there this morning, but still managed to get out in shorts.15 miles in total, including the zig zags up Box Hill and a couple of other cheeky inclines.

Takes me to 45 for the week, which I'll settle for as there were a couple of days in there where travel logistics meant it wasn't possible to get out.

Anyone else out there who fancies joining TCCSTFT in Jantastic?

• I'm also in agreement about P&D.  The long runs are one part but I think the key runs that worked for me are the 14-18 miler with 8-12 miles at MP and surprisingly the runs the day after a tempo run.

7 faster muddy miles around Tatton Park lake yesterday afternoon then 18.6 miles this morning from 4:20am as a back-to-back run.  My legs were still feeling it when I went down the stairs this morning   The new shoes were very much appreciated.

I have given myself the freedom on not doing a training log for a long time since March when I hobbled to the bench.  Now it is time to start the discipline of doing it again and being accountable to a plan.

I am wondering how long it will take me to start to think in kilometers.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Afternoon all....

Very cold down here in hampshire, with the roads and pavements iced up.... a good 90 min run with 3 x 1 laps of local lake (.87m) at MP with recovery laps at MP + 60 secs. 11.32m in total...

Monney, Lorenzo, Bike It - good runs

• Some great running folks,

It was 2 degrees up here N/East of Scotland and a N-NW wind at 12mph. So wind in the face the whole way! Anyway 16.4 miles done on the sand and felt great afterwards! must have been the conversational pace I was running at? Nothing to do with the Dram I got at the end? Although won't be doing it again till next year, was a bit of a slog! image  

http://www.strava.com/activities/233761232

• 17 miles for me. 10 were more like ice skating and the rest were mostly people dodging. Easy week next week before the schedule starts on Monday 5th Jan.

• 10 for me this morn about 4m on the gravel track before I went skating on the icy paths going to be even icier tomorrow by the sound of it image

• 15.53miles (Bike it - 25k) for me today at MP. Well, the same pace as my last marathon anyway.image No ice or cold here, only glorious sunshine, about 8c but a strong headwind for the last 5 miles or so. Very easy pace and was tempted to run another 5k more but have to unpack and get myself sorted for work tomorrow.image It's supposed to be back up to 12c by the end of the week. Perfect running conditions.

• Good long runs GM and Leslie, liking the sound of 12 degrees, image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck to you Bike it sounds like an adventure.

Also took me many a year to get from 3:30 to sub 3 scc, but big steps are ceratinly possible.

I'm in Switzerland with the family for a few days- just arrived in time for heavy snow fall. Tried skiing for the first time today, and only fell over 4 times image. Still managed to get out with Junior for an early morning 8 miler. 

• Nice runs indeed. Well done to all who have slip-slided away on parkrun and other outings. Since lots of folk start spring mara training in Jan, every mile clocked this month is a head start.

GM 12 degrees sounds tropical, it's chuffing freezing in the Peak with snow and treacherous ice.

Just been reminded that I foolishly entered a marathon on NYE - will have to see what the roads are like before committing but a few hours TOTF is always good.

Stay safe and upright everyone

Bike It - we will need weather updates on how warm, dry and generally pleasant it is in SA while the UK is so rubbish.
  • BTW Minni got a bit of Garmin envy going on here...
  • Amazon keep having amazing Garmin deals in the Lightning Deals section. There was a 610 with HRM for £129 earlier, and yesterday the Forerunner 10s were under £60. I almost wish I needed one!

• Leslie - Be careful out there, sounds a bit D'Icey!image

Poacher - Marathon on NYE?! if you do do it, how many will that be this year?

OO - Enjoy Switzerland with the family and watch out for that skiing malarkey.

Speedy - Good deals indeed. I just realised today that I left my Garmin charger/cradle in Belgium! Just as well sister is coming to visit me soon. Will be without for a month but that's cool as I have a stopwatch and have many routes down in terms of how far/short.

• Jools - good club session on Christmas Eve and a bonus MLR!
    GM - sounds like a great forest run. 12C is not my idea of ideal running conditions as I'm not accustomed to tropical channel islands weatherimage
    PMJ - I wonder how long that code is valid for?! Good MP run.
    Bike It - eventful time in Egypt. All the best with the move to SA.
    Speedy - well done on the icy parkrun and a nice long run.
    Leslie - 2 days off? I've just had 5 image
    Nick - 50 places! Nice one. Good luck with your campaign.
    ssc - good advice from PMJ.
    RFJ - nice XC parkrun!
    Lorenzo - some very nice pressies there!
    Very cold and frosty here, but managed to avoid any ice for a slow 6 miles this morning. Starting to panic that the raceways marathon is less than 11 weeks away.

• 18M yesterday to make a slightly over schedule 60M and 5M this morning, by the end of which my hands were painfully cold despite 2 pairs of gloves.

Welcome back to running, Gul.

Sounds like you had a nice break, GM.

Poacher: plenty of time to prepare for that marathon yetimage
  • Gul- Time to crank it up again then but be careful.image

Jools-always best to be ahead of the posse at the start of p&d as it only get tougher !

Poacher- sure you are always mara fit .time to feel the pain..again image

Just over 7 this morn with 7x800 @6:30m/m with  400@7:30m/m recoveries on a frosty gravel track .Loads of dogs on track ..none on a lead ! and 2 small ones needed hurdled as then swiped under my feet while chasing each other, luckily I was on a recovery lap other wise it would have been nasty image

• Slow 12 this morning. Different section of the Ridgeway and apparently it didn't understand that Ridgeway means the way running along the ridge and not up and down every hill in sight. Before Christmas, 20 at 8:02 and 237m of elevation, today 12 at 9:14 and 485m of elevation. Saving grace was the sub-zero temperatures so all the mud was solid and easy to run over. Garmin even does average stride length and that was down from 1.14 to 1.04 m. Topped 2,300 miles, one more run to go for the total and then day off NYE after blood donation tomorrow.

• Welcome to the thread Nick, with a good plan sub 3.15 would be a good first step to take to get closer to 3 hours. There are some runners on here that have taken a few years of chipping away to get lower.

Some good park running being done. I just didn't have any capacity to get out to any.

Nice Xmas present Minni.

A good holidays worth of running Gerrard. I like Belgium, which part did you go to? 15 miles at MP at this stage?

11 weeks is a long time to get some good consistent weeks of training Gul. Worry ye not.

Thanks for the info on the Garmin Speedy. I'm tempted to get a new 610 as my old one has corroded on the back and the charging points. I'm back to using my 410 at the moment.

Nice mileage Lorenzo, I believe there are a few of us signed up to the Fred' Jantastic team.

That sounds a tough slog indeed Rich on the sand - hope the whisky tasted good at the end!

8 miles Saturday (4x 2mile loop of local park) and a late (finished at 10.30pm) 15 miler last night @ 8.01 pace. 44 for last week makes a good start to 16 week plan which starts todayimage

• KR - 15 miles was only 7:52 pace which was my average pace for my last disastrous marathon attempt. So basically I have no idea what MP would be as both marathons I have done have been injury plagued and the last one I think I only managed one 20 miler in the campaign because of injury. Re Belgium, I stayed with family in Genval or La Hulpe which is a town not far from Brussels. Beautiful place and surprisingly very hilly. My sister pre warned me that it was hilly and I said good and she said that I was the only person she knew that would look at that as a positive thing. Don't like hilly races but love training on hills. You're keeping the mileage up nicely I see. Well done!

Gul - Poacher will probably have completed about 20 marathons by the time yours comes along.image

Leslie - Watch out for those random leadless K9's, they are dangerous creatures when out running! Mind you, in my experience their owners are far worse.

• Well if Gul fancies knocking off a couple of maras one weekend soon.....image

• Gul- good start! plenty time left   image

KR- great miles and finishing at 10:30, you must have needed a push to go out image

Jools- nice totals, I'm scraping over 30 at the minute. still 16 weeks to go though. 17 for you? 

GM- I love the hills too, but not too fast on them image

PMJ- 2,300 is a massive total! Pat on your back! What model of Garmin is that? Not the Fenix 2 is it?

3 easy for me after 16.5 yesterday. Week 3/18 starts today.

Physio appointment went well, got a few exercises to do and have to wear a wedged insole for a while. Try and build up my collapsed arch which is aggravating the ligaments in my ankle. Phew, thought I had rheumatoid arthritis there for a while.

Happy running all! 

• Rich, the Garmin is the 220 which is the cheaper version of the 620 so it won't upload via wifi the second I walk through the front door. I really like the cadence, much more than heart rate. With cadence I get a very good correlation to how hard I am working but heart rate goes up and down with caffeine, illness, anger at dog walkers, nice bottom etc.

• I do put on a chest strap when running but never really look too much into the data. Cadence on the other hand is something I'm trying work on getting higher. It's so hard to determine or count but I do know I need to shorten my stride/up my cadence. With that comes less load and less time on the road physically. Still working with Pace and distance at the moment if I get a P.B this time round I'm going to be looking into other ways of training and other methods of performance analysis. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Rich, the Garmin is the 220 which is the cheaper version of the 620 so it won't upload via wifi the second I walk through the front door. I really like the cadence, much more than heart rate. With cadence I get a very good correlation to how hard I am working but heart rate goes up and down with caffeine, illness, anger at dog walkers, nice bottom etc.

"Nice bottom"???????? 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I love the 220 and especially seeing the cadence and comparing that against the pace, stride length and gradient from my runs.  It helped me understand how all the trail running I've been doing has affected my running which I wouldn't have worked out without seeing it in graph form!

Happy injury free running all. Some fine running from all especially Jools, Leslie, PMJ, Speedy and KR. Looking forward to getting stuck into the spring marathon cycle here.  So far week 1/18 has been ticked off image

Welcome to newbies, ssc and Nick.  At least I think you are new, but then again it could be me not being on here often enough to have seen you before...