Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-dawg-those 400's sound fast to me , you slowed bit for the 800's I usually run them all at the same pace though with the longer ones at the end so no point me starting out too fast or I will blow up.image

VTR- snows melting so is hard to walk on now never mins run , no point doing ourselves an injury we manage enough of them without falling image Will be working these sublt runs for the next few weeks see if I can make improvements or grow my own monster teeth image

• GE- slight problem with the last 2400m, my heart cannot reach 180bpm image

• Rich - it is a while since I did it but I think I knocked 5 or even 10 bpm off each interval.  175bpm is around 95% of max HR for me so I figure that would be a "fair effort" for the last interval, particularly given its length.

G-D: good session. We'll let you off the MLR!

I've decided to treat myself to a rest day today.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

5 easy miles tonight. It's grim out there, but glad I ran.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Back to some running this week. Happy days! Only issue now is trying to get jantastic and strava to work properly!! Run logged on strava doesn't seem to show on jantastic - anyone else had this?

• It doesn't work for me either ssc. 

11 tonight. It's kinda windy out there.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Garminless at the mo as I left my charge/cradle in Belgium, so can't do much tech wise either at the mo.

Speedy - Nice mid week MLR for you tonight. It's gale force 8 here at the mo, forecast 10 for later. Typical, it was beautiful earlier and didn't get a chance for a run on lunch. Hope it's calmer tomorrow.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

VTR - I like everything you say but I'm on the shortcut approach this time around. I could Hadd over the summer I suppose but I love running those club interval sessions on warm evenings. hmm…..

I drove home from work in leafy Surrey to the Berkshire badlands to find the weather only pretty awful so got the 14m MLR done. It progressed to really awful while I was out there so now feeling nicely smug on having got it done. Nice replacement session though G-D although interesting error on running too far! I have a pre-work, Surrey-based 11m planned in for Friday so I hope we are blessed with better conditions. 

• Wool - good run this evening. Forecast for Surrey seems OK for Friday. Whereabouts are you running when you're over in this neck of the woods?

Planning a more gentle 2+2 commuting tomorrow.

• GE- just checked out some of my workouts recently and my HR has only EVER reached 172 BMP. but could try it out next tuesday but tweak the workout slightly. Should be fun!

Wow, you guys on here are machines! Strava is great for seeing where I am with my training. Some of you are sub-3 marathoners and the difference in milage and pace is staggering. Hats off guys, going to up the anti in the next few weeks. Should be creeping over 40 miles a week by the end of Jan. 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Got an hour in before the wind really picked up

Good mid week run wool, thats longer than my current longest run this term!!!!

Take care

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

A windless 6 miler in Geneva today, but a busy few days ahead so 50 may be a struggle. I envy those managing nice long runs mid week. 

• Looks a good pyramid session G-Dawg especially early on in a training schedule.

Frustrating not getting out with the weather Leslie. I sometimes put my off road shoes on and go round the local park in the snow, which I actually do enjoy. Pavements can be a bit dodgy especially with ice though.

Some good runs being done in the stormy/bad weather. Be careful out there!

Good 11 miler Speedy & 14 miler Wool.

Went out for a 10 miler tonight with first 4 easy pace then the next 6 at MP+10%. Was okay with the wind behind me, but more of a challenge head on!

• Got a nice subLT session in today (12 w/10 fast). Felt in the zone and comfy. But I have finally managed to get dinged up after a very long stretch of no scary injuries. Extensor sheath area on 1st metatarsal of right foot not happy. Acted up out the blue at the end of my run Monday...was better Tuesday (rest day) and was nearly painless today. Felt it a bit during the run early but not later...after run it was not good. Iced/ibuprofen already helps but might need to visit my fizz team soon (dooh!). Hopefully they'll steer me back to the road as per the usual, but am a little nervous this time. I have been getting about 3-5 hrs of sleep since after the new year so that coupled with lots stress at work (hence no sleep) and lots of miles could easily explain. Plus higher cadence stuff lately. Grrrr....

• Lorenzo - how many sessions had they targeted - 18?
    Wool - hope the MLR went ok - I see now it did! Well done.
    GD - fortunately the winds had died down by the time I went out this morning. Good track session.
    GE - as you say, still a worthwhile session.
    GM - good dedication.
    Speedy - ditto.
    RFJ - just in time.
    OO - what's the weather like on the continent, then?
    KR - good 10 miler.
    VTr - oh no! Sorry to hear that. Hope it's not too serious.
    11 miles with 6 @ PMP. Almost spot on the pace (0.5 sec / mile too fast!) But I must say it felt much harder than a MP effort. I'm hoping it's just my body still recovering from the effects of the lurgy.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

A spot of extensor tendonitis VTR? I had some of that last year with some poor lacing / tongue alignment in my shoes. I’ll admit that I ran through it but it was often very painful. I did find that this was one where icing really helped.

Lorenzo - my office is just off M25 J9 and from my recollection of the CQ game on Fetch I run right on your turf. I love the off-road running around here, there are some great trails and challenging hills. It’s very muddy right now though and if you couple that with my serious fear of dogs, the dark mornings mean that I’m probably out on a road stretch either around Bookham or Epsom.

RFJ – don’t worry, I’ve not run over 16 miles yet either but it feels like I’ve run a lot of 13 / 14s.

Some other nice midweek runs there too, that’s making me feel less smug! Gul – I don’t know where you are based. Was that a silly o’clock 11 w 6 @ PMP?

• Welcome Wool! Gul is up and out running before some of us go to bed.

Interesting debate on Hadd. I did something similar last year (low HR long steady efforts) for IM training and it worked a treat.

Some serious efforts being logged now. I think I'll have a crack at some 10k pace running ce soir to introduce a bit of heat. Day 47 of the streak and the shin is feeling very good. Local tenderness has disappeared now and no twinges whilst running. I received my Fred Whitton lottery confirmation yesterday so I'll need to get hammering those hills on the bike for the next few weeks. Yikes...
  • Seriously windy today hoping its easing down now so I can get a run in image

• So wikipedia has 9 possible explanations for stotting but I think I have invented a tenth. At lunch-time I as out for a gentle recovery run and over the first half mile I gradually caught up with a slower runner ahead and then passed him. Bugger me if the cheeky sod didn't pick up pace and try and follow me. The Thames Path is very muddy at the moment with big puddles all the way, so rather than avoid the puddles and skirt round the edges, I took them head on and jumped over them, but for some odd reason, rather than do a normal jump, I did an exaggeratedly high one. Seemed to have the desired effect and after a while he fell off pace and I was able to continue my recovery run without a puffing shadow.

5 miles at 7:37 pace so 40 over 4 days at about 7:45 average pace.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Same here but just did 5 miles along the beach and back to work. Nice ruin so it was. Hope it dies down but it's not forecast to.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Well done for seeing the cheeky blighter off, PMJ.
    A beach run sounds like good fun, GM. A tad windy?

Managed to get out for a 7 miler with steady hills at lunchtime (372ft elev. gain), 7.13 pace with a couple of sub-7s thrown in. Good strong run after the track session yesterday. there's strength developing in them thar legs!

The 14 mile MLR is tomorrow night which will leave me with a clear weekend for beer and football.
    January is gearing up to be my biggest ever. After tomorrow's run I'll have clocked 50 miles for the 7 day period and 97 for the month.
    It seems the base I built has strated to pay off after all. Not counting chickens yet though, must take care to avoid injury if possible.

GD

• Rich- you must have a diesel heart, garmin said I hit 242 bpm a few weeks ago image It stayed high for the first 10 mins but I think its just a glitch or I have some irregular heartbeat or summit but I know its 180 bpm at 6:30m/mile pace during intervals and steady at that and I can get into the high 190's on a good day image

KR- nice 10

VTR- there was a feature on the home page of RW today that said the biggest factor in injury was lack of sleep ,now sure how true that is but it does make sense to me , get well soon.

PMJ- 7:37m/mile on a  recovery run, nice hurdling image

Gerard- was scared to go out this morn winds were touching 80mph apparently nearby , didn't want a tree on my head .

G-dawg - good pace image

The wind eased in the afternoon planned 10m so didn't take a drink then stayed out for 16m as tomorrow is supposed to be dodgy weather wise again and feeling the effects of dehydration now image DOH!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Wool - That's a nice mix of marathons you have done. What are your thoughts on Amsterdam. That's one I'd like to do. Heard Manchester is pretty good too.

G-Dawg - Must say I'm impressed with your training and mileage of late. You're going well. My run today was quite pleasant really. I love the fact that running is all about windows of opportunity and no real faff involved. Sure beats sitting on your..... at lunch time. It was a very strong South Westerly earlier, so I headed out East along the coast and cut back inland for the last mile or so, it was very refreshing and the legs enjoyed it.

OO - Lucky not to have this wind. What's the temp like there at the mo?

Leslie - Get some Ale down you! Planned 10 but did 16 so how does that fit with your long run this week or will that be your long run?

SJ - Good continued streak! Who/What is Fred Whitton?? Pls excuse my ignorance!

Gul - It's still early days. How many of those types of runs have you done so far in this campaign?

VTr - Hope it's nothing too serious. I've been getting by, just, on about 5 hrs a night for a while and it's not enough. Sleep when mara training is as important as the training itself.

Rich - No idea what my max HR is but think resting is low 50's.

KR - What's your PMP? Nice mileage again from you.

RFJ - An hour of running is always good no matter what pace you are running.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

GM - Amsterdam is a super-fast course. Manchester was faster this though year being the best part of 0.2 miles short and all that……almost as fast as PMJ's RRs!

Did 5m at lunchtime with a few new year resolutioners from the office. We ended up walking most of the last mile, now that's my kind of RR!!

Leslie - sounds like you need some saliva on that HRM; alternatively there is some fancy potion that you can buy to improve conductivity early in the run.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Wool - Why was Manchester .2 short?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Evening all,

some nice efforts Speedy / KR / VTR on the longer side and Wool PMJ on the shorter side

45 mins for me (3 x 15 mins of Steady / MP / Steady)

Rest Day tomorrow, before a big weekend, going up to Richmond Parkrun on Sat to do that along with a long run round the park before going to the football at the Cottage. Then Stubington 10k on Sunday.

Take care

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

RFJ - Sounds like a fun weekend. Any targets for the 10k?

• Leslie - 242bpm?! Remind me not to compete against you in a sprint finish or some hill work on a bike.

Wool - I live in Bookham and there's a good variety of runs (off and on road) from here. What time do you normally do your running before work? If you're early enough the dogs are normally still asleep. Do you work in Leatherhead?

Slightly odd session today of 6.5 miles spread over 3 runs (only logged 2 on Jantastic) - run 2.5 miles to station, 2 miles from the other end to the office and then 2 miles back to the station in the evening.

Minor niggle in the top of my left leg but seems to go away when I start running - will keep an eye on it.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

GerardM - Ideally would like 41:15 - I had a really bad year last year (with the exception of this race where I got 39:09) Certainly not there at present, last 10k I race was in June and got a 42:30 and have progressed since then, so 41:15 is a good hard target

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You are sure it wasn't your own shadow you were running away from PMJ image.

Another fine day here, about 10 degrees at lunchtime. I ran up a big hill, no watch, no garmin, just lots of fresh air. Looks like I'm coming home to cold weather this weekend back in Blighty

Take care with the niggle Lorenzo.