Sub 3h15

Comments

• Some more impressive long running from Speedy, Gul and Birch. 

Well done to the parkrunners too - not easy getting up to speed in such cold temperatures.

Cold start here as well with icy patches but had warmed up a bit by the time I got home. 23 miles in total including 2 loops up and down Box Hill. Takes me up to just over 60 for the week so far - so far, so good.

Both Lorenzitos are out this evening so looking forward to a cinema date a bit later with Mrs L!! image

• Great running guys! 20's already! good going!image

PMJ- I'm a technician and I like to let my watch do the worrying! image

7 for me today and a 14 miler tomorrow with a chesty cough, should be fun. Will down a bottle of cough syrup first thoughimage

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done to all the parkrunners: apparently ours was cancelled, but I had planned a lie-in so that passed me by.  Felt much better for the lie-in (and the careful stretching I'd done yesterday), so this morning's MLR turned out to be 14M @ 7.52m/m (albeit a pretty flat route - the ice was bad enough on the flat without adding inclines into the equation!).  It's not ideal doing the MLR today and the LSR tomorrow, but it's how this week has panned out...

• Nice run Joolska, got to watch the ice! I fell over a few weeks ago, I was physically fine but pride took a beating.image

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Birch - im thankful you can still do this too. You have had a good period of training in recent times and have got yourself nice and robust.

Rich - dont push a chesty cough, its better to rest up than take a backwards step.
  • Doubles are for wimps! Just followed a few links on Strava and yesterday, the guy leading the January tables did a 10, 3, 9.5 and 6.2 so 4 runs and 28.7 miles. He has run 364 miles so far this year so over 21 miles each day and his target is 6,640 miles or about 127 miles a week!

Must say, though, that he is surely heading for a problem. 6,640 is double what he did last year and that is too much of step up to sustain. The guy doesn't even have a background of running an calls himself an ultra runner even though he has only finished one: a 100 mile in outside 24 hours. fast is not necessary but is indicative of what a runner can do.

• Always good to get the long run done early in the weekend - well done Speedy, Gul, Birch, and Lorenzo.  Gul was done and dusted before I woke up this morning!

VTR - glad to hear you are quickly back up and running.

17m for me this morning.  First long run of the year.  Variable conditions - started in sunshine, then clouded over and there was a 20 min snowstorm in the middle.  Sunny again by the end.  Went OK but legs heavy towards the end. An even paced 8:29m/m.  Not quite ready for 20 milers just yet so I will aim for 18.5 next week. Brings up 44m for the week.

• Pmj- he must be a cyclist with 6000+ mile a yearimage , 127 a week now that a lot but 4 runs a day that's insane and certainly wasn't worth doing that 3 miler .100 miles is a massive run though no matter how long it takes image

• KR- your right I might have a day in bed instead!image It's not worth the risk. 

• Some good 20 miler being bagged already (and Birch's 20.5!).

Nice MP percentage run Gul

Hope the chesty cough does't hinder odour run Rich.

Good to seed the weekly mileage creeping up too PMJ & lorenzo.

Jools, that is still a good time for 5 miles - not sure I could hold 6.19 pace for 5 miles just at the moment.

Leslie, I did a MP +10% run on Wednesday nightimage

Went out early doors for my first 20 miler of the campaign this morning with the Purple Fairy and it was good to have company. Av pace was 7.44, although the purple one has a quicker easy pace than me! Should make 57 for the week after tomorrows recovery run.

• Kr - the purple fairy is a sub 2:45 runner now is'nt he image Running with the big boys now image 

another 4 on the dreadmill tonight , hot work for sure but needs must , 57 for the week bringing it to a KR week +0% image well if you cant beat em image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

KR - Nice MP+12.5% run!image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Birch / Speedy good 20's

Leslie nice 10 too

Long run done today as racing tomorrow, dont know what impact that will have yet, suppose will find out tomorrow, 13.5m in 1:51 for an ave of 8:15 which aslo included a parkrun at MP (22:14). Richmond park was lovley this morning till the tempreture dropped and started to snow slightly.

Take care

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

Gulp, this thread moves on fast if you take a day off! Nice to see folks getting their LRs in, I'll be getting my 1st one of the campaign in tomorrow afternoon.

Lorenzo - no, I work just over the M25 from Lhd, closer to Ashtead I suppose. The office gates literally lead out on to a trail straight on to the Downs.

Gerard - Mcr marathon came out short on every watch that I saw. There are no tall buildings or tunnels to interfere with GPS signal. I ran in with the 3:15 pacer who thought he'd completely screwed up until afterwards and the winner Andi Jones put the trace on his blog showing 25.9x!

I ran early (for me, Gul - that's scary) on Friday and my body completely revolted. I guess it's mood wasn't helped by my wife coming in from a 'do' only 2 1/2 hours before I got up. It meant I just had to jog round my 11. Very odd. Thankfully back to normal on my RR today. 1st 20 of the campaign tomorrow, should bring up 62 for the week. That's new territory for me. Still crossing fingers I don't break but feeling good so far.

• Yes Leslie, the purple fairy did 2.44.xx last year in London. Good % for the week!

Nice long tun and parkrun thete Rich.

Wool, there are a few 180 degree turns in Manchester at the beginning and tight turns around Altrincham too. But I'm sure with its status they'd have got the overall disyance right. Garmins don't like tight corners. You only have to run round a track to find that out. Good mileage for the week BTW.
  • RJF- nice 13.5

Wool- goodluck with the 20

6 more on the dreadmill this morn and didn't even have to get off for a sweat break!

• KR- That's a lot of people doing 180'simage. I think there is a setting on your garmin so it can pick you up every second. Although when on a long run and doing an out and back I like to stop for a few seconds, let it find me again then carry on. Can't do that in a race thoughimage I hope you get picked for the thread! As I'll defo be lurking. As we are going for similar times and the same race. 

TR- No LR for me today as I have a chesty coughimage

Leslie- Nice dreadmill run- I'm away offshore for a few weeks at the end of Jan and it's so hard keeping up the training when all you have is a treadmill. Needs must thoughimage

• Rich, I forgot you do the spells offshore. How does the schedule look like for Manchester with offshore spells? Most plans have periods of hard and easy so P&D has me down as a recovery next week which matches well with a week of meetings in London. I do, however, have to swap the following two weeks as I have a half marathon on Sun Feb 8th and P&D has me down for a 55 mile week with 20 on Sunday following two hard 12 milers mid week. The week I am swapping it with is 48 with a 15 with 12@MP so the half will do well for the MP run and it even has a recovery + speed on the Saturday and I am down to pace at parkrun that day so all works out well.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Joining the 18 mile club: 7.52s as I had to stick to a flattish route again due to ice.  Couple of near-miss A over T moments as it was...  62M for the week and starting to feel like the body is just about adjusting to the higher mileage again. Phew.

Good luck to today's racers.

• Seems a few people did the Country to Capital yesterday: runner on the Strava group 3 runs and 55 miles for the week, longest 42.2! Well done.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

More going long, I see - Lorenzo 23 (!) kr, GE, Jools  et al

lovely again here today, but icy - need to trot a 4 or 5 later to complete the week, but feeling a bit seedy with sleep deficit, as didn't retire until 3am, which made it a 21 hour day following my customary 6am Saturday start  . . . .

tks for the word, TR - you are sporting a number today, I believe? 

• PMJ- It's great your schedule is working out after a little shuffle. I'm on a 2 weeks build up and then a recovery week. I might have to make my own up for the next month or so. Might also have to do a lot of cross training if I can't get onto the treadmill. There will be no long runs. I can see my target of 3:10 coming down a fair bit if I cannot get in the Long runs! Work comes first though.I have a good 5 weeks in my legs just now so if I can just maintain that whilst away I should be okay.  

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

The milage continues to tot up, great running Jools and Lorenzo, think I got everyone else last night

Stubbington 10k for me - I need a good dam talking to after todays 10k race... aim was 41:15 and I would be happy... poor pace management gave me a 41:14:73 image Rather HAPPY indeed, Serious a mixed bag of a race and even dropped to a 4:21k on the 3rd mainly due to a hill, but after that, worked really well with 1st 5k in 20:41 and the second 5.05k in 20:33 (on the garmin) 275th from 1500+

46.2m for the week

• Well paced RFJ, literally a fraction of a second too fast.

• Phew, skin of the teeth there RFJ! 

Midland Masters XC brought up 65 for the week for me. Didn't feel the 20 in the legs really but didn't exactly run a stormer either. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good effort RFJ and the long rangers. 17 here at 8:30 pace. Really struggled in the ice and snow.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Chuffed with today's long run, nearly wimped out before 5 miles as legs (and generally) felt lousy but run improved throughout with MP10% being held. Planned to run 17m which I did at planned pace but got route wrong which added 2 miles but unfortunately my legs went on strike after 17!! A very slow plod thereafter will be classed as my cool down. . . .

• I did the Stubbington 10k as well today and scored a slightly surprising PB. 19:33 for the first half and 19.16 for the second. Conditions were really good, but I was over 30 seconds quicker than in previous attempts on that course.

I was going to say hi at the end RFJ, but anticipated the long queue for the bags - with the extra entrants this year.

Main target next week is to get a 16-17 miler in, with a view to getting towards 20 the following week. The Ryde 10 is inviting, but the miles are now the priority.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

I'm sure that this thread has seen it's share of Garmin inaccuracy debates in the past so I don't wish to start another. However, I suppose the main time it comes up is when folks moan about a course being long and they get corrected to say that Garmins over-measure. This always surprises me as I thought most measurement devices are +/- in their errors so that the average result from a gaggle of Garmins would be reasonably accurate. I suppose it's that debate that also gives me more confidence that Mcr was short as did my last mile with the sub 3:15 pacer. As we got over the line in 3:13 he was kicking himself about doing a bad job but reckoned later that the course was 'a little bit different to last year'. Enough - it's on Po10 and gives me GFA for 2016!

Anyway, I'm impressed with all the long stuff going on at a fair old lick particularly in some tough conditions in some cases. Kudos to Lorenzo if that 23 included any of Box Hill!

Rich - are you offshore oil & gas? What platform so you work on, I would be really interested.

RFJ - that's a nice couple of days work. You can and will run faster of course but going in the right direction. Well done.

And PMJ, you must have an algorithm for all that P&D jiggling! Was it you that was showing some concern with the lack of 20s in the plan? I know I'm going to have to do my own jiggling over the next few weeks and this led me to note the apparent lack of 20s too. With that I swapped today's 18 for a 20 at easier pace. That said, I felt great out there and got an aesthetically pleasing 20.02 done at sub 8 pace which is a massive improvement for me versus the 1st 20 in previous campaigns. Feeling good but 63 miles this week is really unchartered territory for me so need to take care.

• Wool- Go all over. Africa, Northsea. Magnus at the end of the month for a few weeks. It's the farthest North. Cold this time of year. They have a floatel alongside as they are getting a re-vamp. So should be a nice gym onboard?image