Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Ooof, sounds like a painful and ominous week for many. Take it easy if you have a niggle, easing off the pace and cutting a bit of distance might save you a lot of downtime. I'm still recovering from overdoing it in September - "I know it's sore but I'll just squeeze one more session in then rest for a couple of days" - regretting it now.

Be careful out there !
  • Options

PMJ - my regular Richmond Park run is a 17 miler (there, round and back).  I  extend it to 18.5, 20, 22 etc as by doing loops of Clapham Common and/or Wandsworth Common as required before heading to RP.  Maybe as an alternative I could try exploring the interior - I like your idea of running round the pen ponds.  On a couple of occasions I have done a double lap.  This is a 24m run for me.  When I did my PB back in 2010 I did this particular run with the last 5 at MP about 4 or 5 weeks out so I knew I was in good shape.

Bloody cold this morning, but beautiful.  -2 or -3 I reckon.  8m with 5 at goal MP ticked off.  This still feels more like a tempo run but possibly a little easier than same run last week.  I had chilblanes on my stomach when I showered afterwards!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

12M for me this morning at a steady 8.11m/m.  Takes a while for my legs to wake up early doors plus I'm a bit apprehensive about running in the dark when it's below freezing: I don't trust there not to be icy patches which I'll slip on, so I probably looked quite comical edging my way downhill at times!

Best wishes to The Bench.  We've all been there.

• Options

Afternoon all,

Oooh, the bench is getting busy - take care people and get well/fit too.

Rubbish week last week generally with running suffering, one half of our pair of 7month old cats decided to venture too far from home and she unfortunately got clipped by a car and didn;t make it home. You half expect these things with cats I suppose but it's still tough when it happens, especially with our young kids who find it hard to understand. It's brought a few conversations forward in our house about life and death and the like.

Anyway, normal service has resumed with my running this week and stepping up the commitment to it too - need to make this build up count.

GE - the thermometer said -4 in the car this morning at 5am when I left for work. Brrr.

PMJ - tried the predictor.. all I can say is I hope it's wrong! If it's right I'm way off target at the moment. To be honest, I'm not convinced, to achieve my PB there is no way I was running at an average pace as fast as it is claiming - I think a bigger sample of runners is needed.

Good to see the Jantastic scores still coming in at 100% for the CC Team, and I've been quietly chuckling to myself this morning reading the posts on here and actually trying to pair up names to names.... simple things etc...image

Question of the day - does anyone else on here suffer from muscle cramps at night? I sometimes get pretty awful ones in my legs and feet. I have tried a number of times to relate their occurrence something like my training load, or diet or general rest etc. but can't seem to find any pattern.

• Options

The predictor: agree it is a small sample but what it does it show two things:1) junk miles probably do not exist: all miles seem to count
    2) pace is more dominant than miles: you can add 10 miles a week or speed up by about 10 or 15 seconds a mile and it has the same result.

Fingers: muscle cramps yes. I now take magnesium, calcium and vitamin E which is supposed to allow the body to absorb the other 2. Probably a classic case of internet doctor falsehood but works for me so may be the placebo effect.

Easy 5 miles this morning at almost Gul o'clock due to big meetings in the office starting at 8am and going on all day.

Rant of the day: head-torches. It was dark this morning but not dark enough to stop the 20 or so runners I saw running along normally. One idiot had a head-torch on and it was aimed ahead and not down at the ground in front of him so as I approached the fuckwit it was shining in my eyes. Fair enough, if it is middle of the night and you are away from street lights, use one. But if all it does is blind other runners then expect a swift blow next time I see you.

• Options

MsE - Fingers crossed the MRI shows no bad damage and you're back out running soon.

Some good sessions Gul. Yes Martin is doing fine and training for London.

Bike-IT - great 20 miler and nice weekly mileage off 4 runs.

Good early run Golden - ouch with the shower stomach!

Nice early doors 12 miler Jools.

FINgers, I get cramp in my toes and it makes my two boys go into fits of laughter when I roll on the ground in agony! When did you last have a massage? It good be you need to have a good session.

6 miles last night with 3 @ MP. Didn't get out til 9.30pm which made it a bit more difficult, but didn't want to miss that session.

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Fingers: muscle cramps yes. I now take magnesium, calcium and vitamin E which is supposed to allow the body to absorb the other 2. Probably a classic case of internet doctor falsehood but works for me so may be the placebo effect.

Dr Google sometimes does come up trumps, I'll give it a go and see.

knight rider wrote (see)

FINgers, I get cramp in my toes and it makes my two boys go into fits of laughter when I roll on the ground in agony! When did you last have a massage? It good be you need to have a good session.

A number of nights recently I've woken up my wife as I leap out of bed trying to stretch out odd muscles in my legs - the worst are when my hip flexors go, trying to get them to relax/stretch with only the power of my very weak abs to rotate my pelvis is a nightmare and requires all sorts of contortionism! I'm pretty sure the amount of amusement/annoyance my wife feels when it happens is directly related to the time on the clock!

What frustrates me the most is people who don't suffer cramps don't understand the pain.... I mention pain at home too and am reminded we have 2 children............ image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Pain scale:

Aches brought about by Man Flu 
    A glancing blow to the Nads
    Night time leg cramps
    Bare foot standing on Lego
    Bare foot standing on up-turned plug
    Paper cut
    Child birth

*** RUNS FOR COVER!!!  *** image image

GD

• Options

Which order is that list G-Dawg, man flu first or last?

pushes past G-Dawg and runs a bit further for cover

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

He-heee!! You know, KR... you know. image

*** Hides behind virtual cyber sofa with KR..both feeling a bit scared...***

• Options

I always assume cramp is caused by not eating enough crisps.

• Options

My night cramps got so bad that the muscles would go tight and actually I could pull a muscle and not run for a few days. Lit is right: generally cramp is due to lack of sodium (so salty crisps are good) but there are other electrolytes in action.

• Options

I find I get cramp at night when I've had a few days or more without running (for whatever reason).

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Take some diaoralyte a few days/week. I had a sachet every day the week before vlm last time and had no cramps off much less running, but I also did my 5 long runs in 12 days playing catch up, so maybe both worked.
  • Options

I occasionally get calf cramp in the night. Without fail it is after a rest day. Generally it serves to remind me that I ought to drink tonic water and electrolytes more often. When I do that I don't get the cramp.

• Options

Good point, CC2 - I forgot to mention that I accompany my crisps with a nice g&t to be on the safe side.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Evening all, weather is hideous here. 5k race tonight, am I glad I didn't do it.

Question for the thread. Does anyone on here do yoga or have any experience of it. I want to do it but have no idea where to start, too much choice. Just want to work on my lack of flexibility and try something new.

Got myself a new running buddy, tomorrow will be 1st run. Boy she is fast. I am going to need to get my act together if I am going to be able to keep up with her. I like fast women!image

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

when runners this fast tell me to eat crisps I know I am in the right place. I have previously had big issues with cramp but only when racing, not after. I've generally accepted it's been due to being under-prepared for what I've attempted. Now cured by compression. I know some folks who sleep in compression wear - could night time calf guards help Fingers? 

Sh*t tempo for me tonight. More crisps required?

Healing vibes to those on the bench. Just hope you are more patient that I am when I am on there.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Good track session of 5 x 1k first one was off the pace a bit as it a;lwatys seems to be, in 4:13, then the other 4 were, 4:04, 4:03, 4:01 and 4:01, didnt do the 200s tonight as calf was tight so played it sensible

Calf sort of cramping.... suspect its just full of toxins etc and need a dam good massage (booked in for next Weds) suspect it is also a recation from the race on Sunday.... will see, not a major issue at present, but do need to keep eye on it.

Looks like treadmill running tomorrow night as off to Bristol (Hotel gym), and not sure of running at night there without getting lost, only been there a few times and always in the lighter months so ran off road out under the suspension bridge, doubt that will be an option tomorrow though....

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    GDawg, you can run but you can't hide...

Physio decreed (actually I called it and he agreed), I've damaged my MCL. Time will tell how long it takes to recover. I'll cross train and go to yoga and pilates like a madwoman (see earlier reference to GDawg) in the meantime.

GM - yoga is brilliant for runners. I love hot vinyasa flow but even a bit of yin is excellent to stretch you out.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

MsE - Sorry to hear that but you sound like you have other interests that will keep you fit and active. Hope it's not too long of a lay off though. Thanks for the yoga tips.

RFJ - Good session!

Wool - $h*t tempo tonight. How come?

• Options

No cramps in bed for me - not sure I do anything special to avoid it, although I can recommend red wine and Coco Pops (not together) to anyone who fancies a bit of alternative medicine to avoid cramping up.

GM - go easy!! image

RFJ - Google Maps + a good memory and I'm sure you'll have more fun running along the streets than you will do on the dreadmill. Alternatively, if you've got a decent spec Garmin, then just set the map function and do an out and back and follow the route on the screen.

Eased myself off the bench to manage a 4.5 run back from the office to Wimbledon. Still slightly sore, but not feeling too bad. More damage probably done by standing on a cold platform as first train cancelled and second train delayed.

Seemed to be quite a few runners combining a run with a train journey this evening.

Will be taking a rest day tomorrow to be on the safe side.

• Options

GM - sounds like you've got no chance of keeping up!
    RFJ - good set of reps.
    MsE - keep positive. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    Lorenzo - sounds promising. Probably as well to take a rest today.
    4 mile recovery run d&d.

• Options

I've had really painful Calf cramps before in bed that seemed like id pulled a muscle and thought it was more down to dehydration but will increase my crisps intake to be on the safe side image

Pavements lethal this morn with ice delaying going out hoping it clears up image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

RFJ: The most obvious suggestion is to run the other side of the river on the Portway, but I can offer more detailed route guidance if required.  I'd offer to be a guide, but 5M recovery done and dusted early doors and likely to be working this evening.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about all those on the bench, or close to it. Healing vibes and best wishes to all. 

Crisps with G&T... hasn't done Lit too badly in the last 12/18 months, so maybe I'm missing a trick!

PMJ, headtorches are pretty much essential kit out here in the styx for either early morning or evening running in winter, but I'm never sure why anyone would need one who's running on roads/routes with street lights? The luxury! image

• Options

Oooh its a bit cold isn't it?

Thanks for the talks on cramps, I'm glad it's not just me  that suffers. And yes, I've managed to pull muscles from cramp too. Compression might be a more serious solution too, going to look into it. In the mean time I'll get back on the Wellman....

Is it too early for G&T?

8 miles Steady in the plan for today, not sure when but I'll fit it in sometime around lunchtime.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

CC2 - tonic water? What's that for?

Abbers the head torch is so the other urbanites don't hit us!

• Options
    Quick recovery vibes to you MsE

Which crisp flavour is the best for cramp avoidance then? I only eat Thai sweet chilli or walkers cheese and onion....

RFJ, you can do laps around the harbour - nice and flat. There are even a couple of pubs there just in case you get cramp.

Speedier session last night with a bit of tready bashing at 5k pace: warmup then 2x1k then 1.5k at 3m42s per k pace off 1k easy. HR nice and steady during the efforts at 162bpm and felt better with each rep.
  • Options

I don't like sweet chilli crisps or walker's. I would go for ready salted kettle chips or those smokey barbecue ones (though the latter might interfere with the flavour of the gin).

On a more serious note, whenever I have to buy lunch at work I always notice that all the commercial sandwich/salad options taste VERY underseasoned, even though I don't go crazy with the salt when I cook at home. I think it's because of government guidelines on 'healthy' eating these days but it is not ideal for runners who sweat a lot, so probably the crisps are not such a bad idea.