Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-D - nice one.  I took the kids to the zoo at the weekend but the only animal they had  was a  small hairy dog.  It was a shih tzu.  image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I used to have an addiction to the Hokey-Cokey.

But I've turned myself around and that's what it's all about!

GD image image

• Gul, those last few miles are very tasty indeed. The purple one is also a big fan of the progressive 10 miler.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Must be heading into spring mara season or something... board's busy these days.

Hope the ankle's nothing too serious Jools. Continued healing vibes to those with issues, some good running being clocked up by those who are healthy.

Gul, are you running VLM this year, or do you have another plan?

6 easy for me today, done in the luxury of some lovely winter sunshine.

• image I've been telling those jokes all afternoon.
  • Lots of good MLRs being run today it seems - Gul, PMJ, Jools, Leslie H - with some fast miles too. Hope the ankle is OK, Jools.

A rather pathetic 8m easy for me tonight at a borderline shameful 8:58m/m ave pace.  Needless to say there were a few miles beginning with a "9".image

I had considered a visit to the track but remembered Thursday is club night so it would be packed.  I'll drop by in the morning instead for a sub zero intervals session when I will no doubt have the place to myself.  There - I have said it now so I will have to do it. 

• Eh? What's with the jokes? Confused!

Fingers crossed for you Jools. Luckily Wollaton is a nice course with little to turn your ankles on. It's a completely different course to last year's National, on the smoother side of the hall. There is a hill, of course, and a little boggy bit. I won't see you though, I'm off to the theatre instead.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

what a difference a day makes, calf seems much better today and back on home turf for a good 15/15/15 (3 x 15 mins of Steady / MP / Steady) and felt good

Any other Southerners doing the Southern XC Champs on Sat, a whopping 15km for the men... its going to be messy....

As already said seems that there are some good MLRs being posted... some of which are longer than my current LSR... note maybe I am being cautious in build up due to last years issues..... my first 20 is not until mid Feb (Bramley 20 - wont be racing it).

Take care

• Good pace in your lunchtime 6 mile G-Dawg, particularly after your 15 miler yesterday.

I like the look of that 15/15/15 RFJ

GE - at least you got out and got some time on feet

Nice little 8 mile progressive run tonight (inspired by the purple one). Splits looked like this 8.12, 7.53, 7.21, 6.58, 6.50, 6.52, 6.44, 6.26. Then a half mile warm down. Got my 410 set to average pace so was hard to tell what pace I was actually running at. So a good test too of running to feel.

• Lorenzo - do you count the run-train-run as double? Santa didn't bring me a Garmin, so I go by feel and check as I complete each mile.
    Jools - take care of that ankle.
    Leslie - good running.
    PMJ - nicely paced MLR.
    KR - hope you're enjoying the cut-back week - mine is next week.
    GD - good going on tired legs.
    Abbers - no VLM for me. 7 weeks tomorrow is the Raceways Spring Shakespeare marathon - must get around to entering.
    GE - I do loads of 9:xx miles and why not.
    RFJ - nice 3x15mins.
    KR - cracking progresive run.
    Recovery run for me this morning - 6 miles @ 9:05m/m.

• Very impressive KR!

What's your official target time Gul? Are you going for a conservative 3:14:59?

1 hr turbo yesterday morning and 8 for me last night including 2 blocks of 2miles at 6:10mm. Swim, bike and run are all on the cards today.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lots of fast running going on a see.  And some bad jokes...image

Jools - hope the ankle settles down.

MsE - what's the position now with your injury?

I'm turboing and back into swimming.  I did a swim session at each local tri club this week and have decided on one to join. Words I never imagined ever saying!

I thought I'd share this on here as I think its excellent advice and not something I'd really thought about before when suddenly injured.  Its from Ruth the Asics nutrition lady to Superman who had pulled his calf, over on the Asics 3:30 thread:

Ruth McKean 2 wrote (see)

Hi Tim,

I was hoping to hear that you were back up and running.

There are nutritional strategies that we can implement in order to try and minimise loss of muscle mass and reduce fat gain. The first two week of injury have the highest loss of muscle mass so suggest you try and start this today if possible or tomorrow.

The aim of the diet would be as follows:

• Daily protein intake of 150g of protein per day (this may help support mass maintain during disuse or reduced use)
    • This protein intake should be spaced evenly throughout the day:6 times daily with 25g protein in each meal and snack (3 main meals & 3 snacks)
    • Reduce carbohydrates at meals to reduced amount of fat mass gain
    • Suggest  a good quality high strength fish oil  (omega 3). I would rather you aim for well know brand rather than a supermarket own brand.

25g of suitable  protein  looks like this in everyday food:

700ml skimmed milk = 25g

500g pot natural yoghurt =25g (use low fat as trying to keep overall calories low)

250g cottage cheese 25g

3 medium eggs = 25g

150g chicken breast (regular chicken breast) =35g. It is ok to have higher amounts in some meals but don’t go overbroad as excessive protein is excess calories

2 mackerel fillets = 25g

Tinned salmon = 42g

So for example your daily intake may look like this:

• Breakfast: 2 x scrambled/poached or boiled eggs  on 1 thin/medium slice of toast & 200ml skimmed glass of milk
    • Snack: 500g natural yoghurt or 250g cottage cheese (some people can just eat it!)
    • Chicken or other lean meat or fish salad (large salad)
    • Mid-afternoon: 700ml of skimmed milk
    •  Reduce CHO (50g dried weight) with 150g fish or meat & large portion of vegetables.
    • Before bed: milk or yoghurt as above (this before bedtime snack is important so don't exclude).     

It may be worthwhile me writing this up in a short article format next week to give everyone an overview of the research behind this diet  (used in elite athletes when limbs are immobilised & I have used this a lot in injured athletes over last couple of years and it does appear to be very useful)

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great sessions from KR and SJ. Wicked skills! image

Very interesting article, Minni. I need to look more into nutrition. I've been 13st 10llbs since late August and can't seem to lose any weight (I'm 6' 1", so not quite a cannon ball!). However, my scales also give me fat and muscle info and my fat seems to be going down and muscle increasing. Maybe I shouldn't look too much into it?

Having said that, I would like to be close to 13st 3lbs by race day. I don't snack much, I've cut back on beer (only drink weekends) and evening carbs. I eat salad for lunch 4 days per week with one day being a sandwich day as we run out of salad at home by Friday.

I seem to recall from previous years, losing some weight as spring begins. Does anyone else notice this sort of thing with their weight loss/gain?

GD

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

GD - when I'm marathon training I never lost weight until just before the end, when I usually drop a few pounds for no particular reason.    

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

Gul – what time do you go to bed?

Anyone else willing to put a range around their mara targets for the spring? As a newcomer to this thread I’m feeling a bit inferior versus some of the sessions posted but of course this could be that folks are really targeting much faster than 3:15.

6 on the RR for me last evening. It’s way too cold for running slowly, gah.

My weight stays really quite constant as long as I run a little but I do get down to the lower part of my range as miles go on. I’m a long way short of 6’1”  though and that means I have an approximate 5st head start on you G-D!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

TAR, OO, POACHER .... COASTAL ENTRIES OPEN AT MIDNIGHT. 

http://www.resultsbase.net/ViewEvent.aspx?Id=2619

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Crikey Wool. makes me feel like I'm completely the wrong shape and size for this runninng lark.

Targets - my mara PB is 3.19 and was set at Brighton last year. It's a Boston Qualifier for my age group which I'm pleased with but I'd love to get close to 3.15 to get a GFA for London. Last year I only did 3 runs per week. This year I'm doing 4 runs p/w and more strength and core work. If I can get full training in next week as planned, it will be my biggest January miles total ever.

My HM PB is 1.30.28. Last year I did a 1.31 on a course with difficult inclines. It was the Surrey Half, I had the pleasure of meeting Lorenzo there (he's a nice chap!). They've changed the course this year, so I'm hoping I can challenge the sub-90 I crave so much. Need to lose a couple of pounds first though. image

GD

• As this year's nominee of official list keeper I will endeavour to get on to a PC later rather than this phone and publish the first list - post your races and targets!
  • If you want motivation for losing weight, it is generally said that every pound you lose is worth 2 secs/mile over the marathon distance. The bad news is that for every year you are over 50 you lose 4 secs/year.

As I only did my first marathon at 50 I have had to lose 2lbs/year just to stay still.

When I started running I was a hefty 12st10lbs (5'7" tall). When I set my current pb I was 9st7lbs

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

nice one SJ, thanks.

G-D: you certainly seem very committed. And, as a man you never want to aspire to my body shape. A 12 year old girl maybe but not a proper man!

• Nice and steady recovery miles Gul.

Good post Minni regarding the protein. I think when you get actual meals and what they are worth in gram intake it makes more sense.

G-Dawg & Wool, we are all different shapes (& sizes) but all have a common goal.
    G-Dawg, you have a good half marathon time and getting close to sub 3.15 is certainly achievable

I'm a bit of a short ar$e and about 5 ft 6, but seem to be around 60 - 61kg most of the time. Then when mara training this usually drops to 58.5 - 59 kg.

Slokey Joe, how do you fit all that biking & swinming in? I think a new post for everyone to add onto is in order...

• Here we go, thread targets for the year - just copy and add yours...

19.04.2015 - Manchester Marathon - Sub 3 - Knight Rider

• My weight tends to be reasonable and varies from race weight (about 144 lbs) to training weight (upper end is about 154 lbs). I reckon in full training I can loose about a pound a week so I don't worry until I am the same pounds over race weight that I am weeks away from the race, and then I just cut back on the snacks.

Lunchtime easy 5 along the Thames. Low tide so I stopped part way round and had a trip out to the Chiswick Eyot. Seems there is trouble with immigrants here too: the mitten crabs burrow holes and weaken the banks so conservation volunteers are building defences out of willow.

Ugly buggers:

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/9/26/1411718616677/c2e97791-ced6-4ffe-9e22-a01115fe3466-620x372.jpeg

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

08/03/15 - Surrey Half Marathon - Sub-90 - G-Dawg
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - Sub-3.19 - G-Dawg
    19/04/15 - Manchester Marathon - Sub-3 - Knight Rider

GD

• Impressive sessions from RFJ, SJ and KR

PMJ – that sounds like sensible advice on managing weight in the run up to a marathon.

I’m at the heavier end of the spectrum but not quite as big as G-Dawg.  I am 6 ft and usually somewhere between 12st and 12st 10lb but have been known to exceed 13st on occasion and have got down to 11st 10 or so for my two fastest marathons.  I’m currently 12st 6 and hope to see that come down to at least 12st by VLM day. 40+mpw on a consistent bases does tend to shift the lard in the end but you do have to keep half an eye on what you eat/drink.

Not sure whether anyone saw the Horizon special on tailored weight loss programmes a couple of weeks ago. They identified 3 distinct types of overeater and designed diets tailored specifically for each: “feasters” who eat quickly, consume large portions and will always be up for second helpings; “emotional eaters” – who comfort eat; and “constant cravers” who are always hungry and tend to snack between meals.  I am definitely a “feaster”.  The suggestion was that a high protein, low GI diet works well for this type of overeater as it makes you feel fuller for longer.

Track for me this morning for an intervals session in the freezing cold.  At least I completed the session this week which represents progress of sorts.  6x1k with 200m/75s jog recoveries. Scores on the doors for the 1k efforts were 4:01, 4.06, 4.07, 4.05, 4.07, 3.59.  I had hoped to do consistent 4.00’s but at least this provides a baseline from which to monitor improvements over the coming weeks.

• 08/03/15 - Surrey Half Marathon - Sub-90 - G-Dawg
    26/04/15 - VLM - Sub 3:15 (for GFA) - GoldenEagle

• Oooh a thread list! Always love a good thread list...

12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - 3:04:xx - FINgers

• 08/03/15 - Surrey Half Marathon - Sub-90 - G-Dawg
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:10 PMJ
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - Must enter GUL

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

08/03/15 - Surrey Half Marathon - Sub-90 - G-Dawg
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:10 PMJ
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - Must enter GUL
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - Sub-3.19 - G-Dawg
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - 3:04:xx - FINgers
    19/04/15 - Manchester Marathon - Sub-3 - Knight Rider
    26/04/15 - VLM - Sub 3:15 (for GFA) - GoldenEagle
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.52 - Joolska

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I note how none of the female members of the thread have contributed to the weight discussion.

Very happy to help keep the thread growing. Especially when the fizz has said I can run again. Hurray. Just 30 mins straight line running in one minute intervals to minimise ground contact time. Couldn't be more relieved! Jools - do you have a target for Bath or are you not doing it?

01/03/15 - Bath Half Marathon - sub 87 - MsE

14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:10 PMJ

14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - Must enter GUL

26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.52 - Joolska

26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:10 - MsE