Sub 3h15

Comments

• 14 social and slow miles (2 hours) this morning for an unplanned 60 mile week. 20 miles tomorrow am so will be interesting to see how that works out after today and then 2 weeks to get some speed back in the legs for Wokingham via a mini-taper.

• G-Dawg- great pace that image

Bike it-I'm on the wagon too so id take the chocolate any day as well .

Jools - still getting faster then image

Lorenzo-taking one for the Jantastic team , the dedication,fair play, that's why I was reluctant to join tbh as id want to meet those targets no matter what was falling off image  plus with shiftwork what I can do every week is constantly changing making any schedule hard to follow

0051- don't give in just yet you can do better !

Rfj-1300 ft of assent sounds like hell to me image

PMJ-goodluck with that 20

I had an  running buddy for my easy 11.5m on tired legs today 8:30s average after the parkrun yesterday was as fast as I wanted to go.image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry about weird double posting folks
  • 20 miles this morning/afternoon (I gave myself a long lie in) in 7.40s. Windier than I thought it was going to be, but still a pleasant run in the sunshine for most of it. Jantastic all logged but we seem to be missing a few runs folks, come on, get logging!

• G-D  - well done with those fast mile and the route PB.

RFJ -  sounds like a tough outing.  More like a fell run than XC.

Jools - impressive racing.

Speedy - It must be a nice luxury to be able to start the LR mid morning when well rested. 7:40 pace - sounds like you're in good shape.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18 here at 8:30 pace. 50 for the week. Beautiful day on the NE coast... 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Nooooooo! I didn't post that today!
  • MsE wrote (see)
    Nooooooo! I didn't post that today!

Hahaha, a weird accidental post apologising for weird accidental posting.

• ...sorry. Got interrupted mid post.

MsE - I think the double posting happens when you hit refresh without having navigated away from that page since your last post. Maybe this could be the issue?

OO52 - nice steady LR to bring up the 50

20.25m for me this morning at a very even paced 8.34m/m. It felt OK while I was running and I felt I could have done a mile or two more. Very sore Achilles when I stopped. I hope it is not set to become a major limiting factor. 51m for the week.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Good long runs from Sandy (17) , PMJ (14), Speedy (20), OO (18), GE (20.25)

Also well done to OO jnr at Parkrun and Jools XC for position and team medal

1:47:00 for me today and that only equated to 12m as legs were tottaly wrecked from yesterday, so was very easy paced and on the flat too, so nothing special, but did what the plan asked of me.....

Take care

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Good news from MsE and well done G-Dawg!

Ha MsE yes if what they say about weight and speed is true then I 'just' need to lose 6lb and sub 3 becomes only a silly idea, and not a ridiculous one.  But I'm not sure I could do that cheerfully and safely.

I had a good confidence-boosting run today, 17.5 with 10 at MP (which came out about 7:05 pace) on a coffee and a spoonful of honey.  It's the first run of the season that has shown progress on this time last year, about 10 secs/mile.  A few impressive child runners out in Richmond Park today.

01/03/15 - Bath Half Marathon - sub 87 - MsE
    08/03/15 - Surrey Half Marathon - Sub-90 - G-Dawg
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:10 PMJ
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:14:59 Gul Darr (entered!)
    15/03/15 - Loughborough Half Marathon - sub 1.24.52 - CC2 Speedy Goth
    29/03/15 - Cranleigh 15 - sub 1:45 - Lorenzo
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - Sub-3.19 - G-Dawg
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - 3:04:xx - FINgers
    19/04/15 - Manchester Marathon - Sub-3 - Knight Rider
    26/04/15 - VLM - Sub 3:15 (for GFA) - GoldenEagle
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.52 - Joolska
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:10 - MsE
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:10 - Sandy Balls
    26/04/15 - VLM - 3:05 - marrows
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.58 - CC2 Speedy Goth
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:15 (and enjoy it!) - Lorenzo
    31/05/15 - Comrades - sub 9 - Lorenzo

• 01/03/15 - Bath Half Marathon - sub 87 - MsE 
    08/03/15 - Surrey Half Marathon - Sub-90 - G-Dawg 
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:10 PMJ 
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:14:59 Gul Darr (entered!) 
    15/03/15 - Loughborough Half Marathon - sub 1.24.52 - CC2 Speedy Goth 
    29/03/15 - Cranleigh 15 - sub 1:45 - Lorenzo 
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - Sub-3.19 - G-Dawg 
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - 3:04:xx - FINgers 
    19/04/15 - Manchester Marathon - Sub-3 - Knight Rider 
    19/04/15 - Manchester Marathon - 3:09:xx - Rich
    26/04/15 - VLM - Sub 3:15 (for GFA) - GoldenEagle 
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.52 - Joolska 
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:10 - MsE 
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:10 - Sandy Balls 
    26/04/15 - VLM - 3:05 - marrows
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.58 - CC2 Speedy Goth 
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:15 (and enjoy it!) - Lorenzo 
    31/05/15 - Comrades - sub 9 - Lorenzo

Cheers TRimage

Out injured today after a lame 3 miles! Would love to shake this Lurgy!

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

RFJ - you need to try some easy on-road conventional training, it's much easier!

Jools - can I ask why Midlands XC; haven't I seen you run in a B&W vest in the past? Excellent running all the same.

Some other very tidy long runs going on; thankfully I wasn't hungover this morning so went with what P&d said: 18 with 10 at mara pace: 5.5 w/up, 3.5 laps of dorney rowing lake for 10m and then 3m home. 18.5m total at 7:18 avg, MP section at 6:53 avg. Felt manageable enough for 10 miles, could have done a few more but 26.2? Hmm?!!! Let's see what the next few months of training bring before I commit to the target list.

• Lorenzo, sorry to hear about the leg. Like you, I'm still stuck on the bench. Well, not completely restricted to the bench as I have been using my wife's elliptical. Can get a pretty good workout in on this thing. Not sure how well it translates to running, but HR zones are hit nicely. Today did a subLT session. Got about 5 hrs over 3 session in this week. Extensor tendonitis much improved over the course of the week, but still have a little soreness lingering if I lift that big toe a few times. Am thinking I have another few days before I can venture out for a 3 mile test run.

MsE, really great news.

As for the rest of you, I'm jealous I can't post big miles and swanky paces!! Great training everyone. It's great to share in the trials of miles and miles of trials.

At present, I'm thinking I may just shoot for a fall marathon. Target time would be sub 3:05ish (or if all the stars were to align on the day sub 3). My short term goal would be another Boston qualifier time this year (sub3:15 as I'm 41). Long term goal will be sub 3 sometime in the next 3-4 years. I think I'm capable, but it will be a close thing if I do it as current PB is just a hair under 3:10.

Marrows, good to hear from you. Seems things are well and your target is the same as mine. I think we can lose another 5 minutes this year!

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Woke up feeling lousy so didnt want a long run having to check P&D pace etc so did 17m on trails - what a joy! Pace all over the place but running up and down hills on feel was awesome. Sometimes running should just be simple !!

• VTR, Marrows - I'll be following what you two are up to closely. If I wasn't focusing on Comrades as my A race on the spring I'd be aiming for a sub 3:05 at London with the aim of sub 3 in the autumn (Abingdon?)

ssc - you're dead right. Sometimes just getting out there and running for the sheer pleasure of it is the best thing you can do. It's all too easy to get bogged down by the weight of a strict plan.

Wool - that's good going. Which marathon are you doing?

• PMJ - quite a scoop for you at the club awards.
    Birch - hope that knee is OK. You are clocking up quite a tally of long runs.
    Leslie - well done on the sprint finish! Some monster miles too.
    Bike It - nice half in the heat.
    GE - 3:40 - the right side of 4am otherwise it would have been a late breakfastimage Hope the achilles is just a blip.
    Wool - Did you need any assistance from the medical car? Excellent lsr with fast MP.
    ssc - good P&D'ing. And good not P&D'ing too!
    GD - cracking 4 mile tempo run.
    Jools - great work in the XC.
    Lorenzo - don't be too down - I'm sure a couple of days rest will do you wonders.
    OO - congrats to OO jnr. Good 18 miler to finish the week.
    RFJ - good XC racing. Hope you had a good morning on the coast with Mrs RFJ. Well done on getting the 12 miles done yesterday.
    SB - sounds like a tough 17 miler.
    PMJ - 60 miles? Wasn't that meant to be a cut-back week?!
    Speedy - very dedicated 20 miler - delaying lunch!
    marrows - that's a cracking long run with MP.
    Rich - hope you're 100% soon.
    Vtr - sorry to hear you're still benched - hope it's not for too much longer.
    Right foot was a bit sore this weekend, so just did a very slow 4 miles this morning. It's meant to be a cut-back week for me in any case.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Wool: I'm not sure why Bristol is classified as part of the Midlands rather than Southerns, but we are, so B&W and other local clubs (Westbury, Bath) all did the Mids on Saturday.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - VLM, see you there!

Gul - I was Saturday morning with the hangover that I could have used the medical car has way through my 6 miler at 8 m/m pace!

Jools - odd, perhaps just to balance the numbers up a little. I sense that it's you guys (and those much further down) from the SW who get the raw deal in some of these. I remember when we turned up to the Southern Road Relays at Milton Keynes in 2013 only to find it cancelled. There were some very disgruntled south coast runners there in the car park already.

Just remembered I'm flying to Budapest in the morning. Just about to do my P&D schedule jiggle. It does help that it's a recovery week.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all, excellent work on the weekend long runs, and great to see Jools still racking up impressive performances and adding to her trophy cabinet.

Good news from MsE too.

Hope Lorenzo, VTR & anyone else on the bench or with niggles recover quickly.

A "long" run of 13 miles early yesterday morning, but then as I'm only training for a HM, that'll do for the end of Jan.

RFJ - looking likely to run Salisbury too, getting in a final race 2 days before a significant birthday and a change of age category!

• The Midlands go way west. My eldest daughter is running the Midlands Indoor Champs in a few weeks and has qualified by living in Exeter. She is now in Birmingham so makes sense  but she used to have to drive all the way to Birmingham to compete in them.

Wool, good MP section there. I ran all along the Jubilee River yesterday and was surprised I saw nobody I recognised outside the group I stared with. Guess you were on the far side of the lake when we were on the nearside. I note life is getting in the way of an exact execution of P&D: is there a plan or just a blip? I found the 55-70 plan was a lot to do.

20 for me today, turned out as 1 mile WU, 9 miles @ 8:03, 9 miles @ 7:35, 1 mile CD. Core 18 miles average @ 7:49 so happy I hit the 7.4x that Speedy reported. All the long runs now done until Wokingham Half in 13 days time (nothing over 12 miles) so time to see if I can get some speed back into the legs.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Belated (and well deserved) congratulations to Jools - great stuff, and cherry on the cake scoring team Gold !!  image

8 miles here today, with 3 at "relaxed tempo" , concludes another year of recorded running - 29 years and 56,795 miles on the clock now.  

• Good numbers there birch. I started as a 16 year old and am 49 so 33 years but most of it is not recorded.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

Birch – very impressive. That’s pedigree.

PMJ – another quick 20, looks to me that you are in great shape. I wasn’t out that early yesterday, wife sick in bed so had to wait for her to enliven enough to take over childcare duties. You ran the route of one my favourite runs although I do it from home. Who were you with to be running so slowly?

But yes, life getting in the way now but even so I hope to be way above my previous mileage even with some tweaks to the plan. Big miss last week was dropping a 12 down to a 7 so that I could go and get drunk on Friday night. True aflete. I will have to shift things around this week but will get the miles in. Week after I need to switch things to get Wokee in; week after on holiday; then Reading HM in March, blah, blah, excuses, excuses!

• Wool wrote (see)

PMJ – You ran the route of one my favourite runs although I do it from home. Who were you with to be running so slowly?

I had to take daughter #3 to Royal Holloway on Wednesday so with Jantastic target of 6 runs I needed to run Saturday and Sunday. The need was therefore for easy on Sunday and so I ran with my old club on a social run. Even though it appears slow, a few of us did the 14 miles doubling back to keep and eye on the tail runners round a 12 mile circuit so others took the same time (2 hours) for the 12 mile: 10 minute pace.

• Some great running being done this weekend and lots of brill long runs - well done on the team medal Jools.

I see a previous threadster Sal F is still running and running very well too! She has just been selected to run for Team GB in the World Trail Championships in May. Well done Sally if you still read this forum. World Trail Championships

• PMJ - strong 20 miler.
    Birch - that's an incredible amount of miles. Respect.
    Wool - keep juggling!
    KR - thanks for the link. I think the women on this thread are way ahead of us blokes!
    Decided to call it a day after 2 miles this morning as there is definitely something up with my right foot. I feel a joker coming on...

• Well done indeed SalF. A quick google shows that trail running has been a long aim and a sub-3 marathon was just something she had to get out of the way en route. Not much of the trail running scene gets recorded on po10 so it probably passes mostly under the radar.

It does seem that things such as ultras are coming more into the limelight with Steve Way and his 100km antics and maybe trail running will follow in due course.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I love trail running.  It offers so much more than road running. image Super stuff, Sal F.

Good to see you are all deep in spring marathon training. I have been slightly obsessing over WAVAs since I became more deeply entrenched in the masters category on Saturday.  Currently, my best time gives me an 80% and while I started in the low 70s I am now sitting in the high 70s.  My weak spot is the marathon and my best lies around the 10K and HM mark.  Do you think it is reasonable to strive to achieve equal WAVA ratings in all distances? Or do you think we all have strengths and weaknesses naturally and it is best to capitalise on those? With my time out for injury I feel like I am only just getting going but it is nice to know where to aim for to set those mid-way markers.  image

Hoping the walking wounded are now turning a corner, Lorenzo and VTr.  I refuse to include Gul in that sentence. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Hope the foot is OK, Gul?
    Interesting WAVA comments there MsE. I await the thread experts to enlighten me, too. I have the same weak marathon Wava compared to my 71% HM score.

Have been sulking for a couple of days. I could feel a sore throat coming on before my tempo session on Saturday but chose to ignore it and keep a positive mental attitude.

No chance! It felt like I had a throat full of razor blades Sunday and Monday, so no running due to a head cold.
    Took my HR at lunchtime today and it was low, in the 40s, so my body was not fighting a virus and the problem was just from the neck upwards (mates have said that for years!) image. Let's RUN!

Decided on a 5 miler and to take the first mile easy and then see how I felt. Felt OK so decided to do a progressive. Splits were 7.40, 7.26, 7.14, 6.58 and 6.38.
    Average was 7.12 and never really had to run hard, even at the end. Seems to show improving strength, quite pleased.

Head sweating like a fountain at the end but hey, job done!

GD