Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Gul, hope your foot isn't going down the road mine has. Still have pain and saw the fizz today. They're a little baffled at this point because the pain kind of moves around. I haven't run now in about 10 days (only 3 elliptical sessions over that span). But must have some more patience.

I'm off to Disney World with my family tomorrow for a week. Should be in the 70s all week there (as opposed to below zero temps in VT over the same time period). One good thing about being hurt right now is that I have avoided running over a really brutal stretch of winter here.

Oh to just lace them up and disappear from the craziness for an hour (or two!)...

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VT - I hear ya but get well soon and enjoy the warmth of DW!

Lit - That made me laugh out loud!image

No real time to have a proper read back & sorry for the passer by post, but things are a bit hectic this side at the minute.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    RFJ - is Salisbury slow then, I was going to try to run a pb there too. How much slower than something like lordshill ?
  • Options

I'm with GE on WAVA scores - absolute time is still more meaningful to me.

Well done for resisting the temptation Jools

Enjoy Disney VTr - how much snow did you end up getting?

Update from the bench: after a mini double on Monday my thigh was still sore so went to the osteopath on Tuesday morning - thankfully he said it was nothing more than a tight muscle and after a bit of treatment recommended regular stretching (bah!) and a spiky massage ball.

Am taking a couple of days off running to give things time to recover before another mini double on Friday. Can I count reading the Bob de la Motte book as cross training?!

Managed to get a great Vince Lombardi quote in a presentation today: "If you're not fired with enthusiasm, you'll be fired, with enthusiasm". Made me smile anyway, if not my team!!!

• Options

Lorenzo, like the quote very much. We only got about 7 inches in VT...but Boston got clobbered.

Space Mountain here I comeimageimage

• Options

GD - well done braving the elements for a lunchtime run.
    Jools - nice 12 miler - pleased the dog didn't ruin it.
    Leslie - hope the snow isn't too bad.
    Bike It - congrats on not getting lost.
    VTr - Hope the holiday takes your mind off the lack of running for a while and you come back fit and raring to go. As for me, I've had issues with the foot before, but it's usually around the ankle. This is on top of the foot, at the ankle-end still. Hope it doesn't take too long to clear up - in 2011 I had 11 weeks on the bench image
    Lorenzo - sounds like good news. Hope all goes well on Friday.
    Still resting that foot.

• Options
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

I'm with GE on WAVA scores - absolute time is still more meaningful to me.

My wife is tidying out old junk and found a whole load of race results (before the internet and GPS so you raced and left a SAE and the results appeared a week or so later) from 1992 when I was racing 4 miles, 5 miles, 6 miles and 10k closer to 5 minutes per mile than 6 minutes per mile (so 5.2x miles) and last year my fastest road mile was 5:23 for a single mile so absolute times are gone for me so you will have to out up with my WAVA whining.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

ditto, PMJ - I still have the paper results for my 10K & half PB's - 5:37mm & 5:48 mm respectively, so WAVA is a handy motivator now for me

(sitting here with kit on prevaricating as blizzard rages outside  . . . . . . .)

• Options
    Easy day yesterday, gentle run am and then got held up at work so didn't get home 'til 8:30. Turbo session duly cancelled.

I was walking my dogs at the weekend and they were running around the playing fields and a couple of loose bull terriers approached so I called mine in and put them on the lead. These two mangy beasts starting growling and jumping on my dogs and their obnoxious owner, instead of apologising or attempting to get her dogs back to heel starts piping up "oh, don't you let your dogs off to play?" clearly suggesting that I was being a miserable arse. "Not with dogs that are obviously out of control, no." was my response. By this time one of them was trying to hump my collie which I didn't think he was particularly enjoying so I booted it. The other owner got more huffy then so I told her quite directly to "go away". Some people are utter fat idiots.

Nice and easy Lorenzo and Gul and anyone else with niggles

Enjoy your hols VTr
  • Options
    Nice link PMJ - from now on, I will only report PBs in age 25/143lb terms. Ahem:

5k: 16:45

10k: 35:07

HM: 1:15:21

Mara: 2:52:22

If only........
  • Options
    I'll need a 3:02 this year to get champs standard age weight fudged time (as it's now known)
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

RFJ/TR - Salisbury's my home city, and the 10 miler follows much the same route as the HM as I understand it, although doesn't include the big hill at the Durnfords, so is undulating rather than challenging. Probably not as quick as Lordshill though.

8.5 steady undulating miles yesterday, about to head out for an easy 6 between the showers.

• Options

I didn't start running until I was in my mid 30s and posted most PBs in my late 30s, so the absolute times I ran then are still beatable in theory.  If I had run lots in my mid 20s and posted much faster PBs like PMJ/Birch have done then maybe I woudl feel differently and be looking to WAVA now.

Who knows what I might have run as a younger, thinner, fitter me?  Well, thanks to PMJ's link, now I know.  A 2:44:23 marathon will do nicely, thankyou.  Anyone joining me on the age and lard adjusted champs start??image

8m easy/steady this morning.  5m very easy yesterday (should have rested really - junk miles).

Track visit planned for tomorrow after work.  Can't think of a better way to spend a Friday evening when on a dry January. Last night was a tough test of my resolve to stay off the booze.  Big work party, but I managed to resist temptation.  The guy I share an office with was out until 6am and is suffering badly, as one would.  I, on the other hand, am eating a lunch of oriental prawn salad followed by blueberry and quinoa dessert pot and exuding an air of smuggness.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Thanks PMJ. My marathon PB when I was 25 and 143lb was 2:40

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

My marathon PB when I was 25 was 2.45 image
    in reality, I ran the London Marathon in both 1993 and '94 and scored 4.42 and 5.01.image

As you can tell, they were my first two and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I actually thought that I was still marathon fit one year later after having made my debut in '93 so hardly bothered to train!
    The only good thing about them (apart from finishing) was the finish line in '93 was on Westminster Bridge and the finish line in '94 was the first on The Mall.
    Next marathon I did was 2006 when I scored a 3.47 in my first 'proper' marathon.

Lemsip to the rescue again today. Cold has turned into a tickly cough and blocked ears. Ran to the track and did 3 x Yasso 800s. Splits were 3.02, 2.58 and 3.00. Round trip was 5 miles. Happy to get the session done and also happy with my risk assessment and session adjustments due to having the cold.

A rest day now until 20 slow ones on Saturday.

GD

• Options

Will leave wava to the fast oldies , I only started running at 39 (3.5 years ago) so I'v'e some pb's to set  (I hope image) and nearly back to the weight I was 20 years ago ! 68kg today could do with be 65kg though image

Nightshifts finished this morn so 12 miles of snow. slush , hail and bitter winds with a flash of lighening over head , nice image

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I hit a bat (small flying mammal type) whilst running this evening.  Then I was chased by a tiny yappy dog.  Whilst summoning the energy to out-sprint it, the dog retreated obviously fearing superior competition. Then there were toads in the road, which my lumbering footfalls scared away. 7 easy miles done.

• Options
    Leslie H wrote (see)

Nightshifts finished this morn so 12 miles of snow. slush , hail and bitter winds with a flash of lighening over head , nice image

You always prick my conscience, working night shifts and then running long and hard in miserable weather. If I could work out a way to do a thumbs up I would.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

TR - Salisbury is playful shall we say, the downs are very generous esp the last two miles which is down and flat and makes for a very fast finish (except for the 180 onto the track 350m from the end. As Abbers says not as fast as Lordshill, but if like me you like undulating course and run well on them there is always a chance of a good time. (for what its worth my PB course (2009) is Maidenhead good Friday 10m 62:46)

There must be some good runs down there Abbers, I also try and do one of the 5-4-3-2-1 races as well in the summer

Enjoying my cutback week at present (running 4 days instead of 6) short run due to icy conditions inc 5 x 200m hills (32:30 - 4.11m)

Take care

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers/RFJ - I'm not the greatest on hills due to my bulk, but can handle undulations ok. I run more from Jan to Mar than I do before Lordshill (which is my PB as its the only 10m I do), so I reckon I can bag a PB if I go well.

I could probably bag some ok SAGAs seeing as I'm quite old, esp if i was to include my weight, but I'll stick to absolute times too.

• Options

Ooo - I like this calculator PMJ.

My standard age weight fudged times are now as follows:

5K: 16:46 (tried to catch SJ at the end but couldn't quite manage it!)
    10K: 34:40 (OMG!)
    1/2 mara: 1:16:39
    Marathon: 2:44:21 (outsprinted GE after we both went off the Champs start and it was nip and tuck all the way!)

Not too much ballast to lose (currently 70kg) but shedding 20+ years is going to be a little bit more difficult. 

• Options

Bike it - sounds like great fun you are having.image

RFJ- nice hill reps

TR-Goodluck with the pb hunt 

Lorenezo - you were fast !

PMJ- Cheersimage I'm struggling to make nightshifts work training wise, just can't get the recovery and can't seem to crack doubles on nights either despite having a good go at it and one hard session after a nightshift wipes me out image  but needs must !

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Shocker of a week here, nothing worth posting.

Enjoying the WAVA debate though- it's what us oldies cling to for comfort.

• Options

You guys worrying about time running out for setting absolute marathon pbs - fear not. On runbritain rankings you will find loads of mv50s setting sub3 marathon pbs, quite a few mv55s and even the odd 1 or 2 mv60s and mv 65s!

Quite happy with my absolute pb 2:57 (Aged 56)

• Options

That wight race calculator keeps putting my weight UP to 143lbs when I'm only 130. Anyway a 2.47 marathon looks good even though a bit more porky - I'll take that!

Well done on the dry january so far GE and enjoy your Firday night track session - better than beer. I'm actually enjoying the 6 days a week dryness.

Good luck with your 20 on Sunday G-Dawg, that some lemsip with you in your water bottle!

Leslie, do you permanently do night shifts or does it swap found on rotation? A tough thing to get your body used to and tougher too to get the long runs in after. Must be tough too fuelling up to do those runs too.

One Gear - impressive age related data and your PB too!

8 miles @ av 6.57 pace in the slush tonight after my youngest lads' 8th birthday party. First 2 easy, then 3 HMP miles, 2 MP miles & 1 easy. Happy with the faster miles which came out at 6.27, 6.09 & 6.18 as I was going by feel rather than garmin data.

• Options

GD - some good training in spite of the head cold.
    Leslie - great dedication.
    Bike It - sounds dangerous.
    RFJ - nice hill work. Cut-back weeks are always good.
    KR - that's a cracking HMP! Nice one.
    Foot feels like it's on the mend, but not taking any chances yet. Will do a test run at the weekend to hit 50% for Jantastic and then use the joker.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good luck with the foot, Gul.
    Excellent times in the slush, KR.

I still have my winter blanket weight to lose. I was13st 8lbs this morning (that's 190lbs image). I still have a good 6 or 7 pounds to shed for my ideal running weight. Finding it difficult despite the increase in training volume and cut backs in diet, including beer image.
    I look at some of the weights on here and can't believe I'm trying to attain a similar running time as you paper weights! image

GD

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Take care of that foot Gul. 10 miler here to kick start a terrible week- I'll struggle to make 40 miles this week.

Talking of Run Britain my handicap dropped this month but at the same time my V50 ranking went up (rather odd). It seems I'm now ranking 97th in the UK image 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

And I heard a rumour that a certain Minni has the all-clear to run! 

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Still not quite running again due to this tweaked MCL.  Good to see some interesting discussion around the WAVA question!  12 weeks till VLM this Sunday and I am now looking at dropping from Pfitz 18/70 to 12/70 with two weeks out.  I just am not fit nor recovered enough to jump in midway through the second mesocycle.  It seems I am destined to never have a decent straight run at a marathon! image

Snow here yesterday and a car slid into the back of my stationary car yesterday.  I think the offending car came off worse but what a pain having to go to the garage for a quote for repair now! Keep a safe distance when driving folks!