Sub 3h15

Comments

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Thanks for info about gels. Have run 10+m in training without gels but have no idea how people train from 15-20 without anything. I seem to have a fast metabolism and can genuinely feel hungry and low on energy when gels not taken.  Is this something that can be improved with training?

3m plus 6x100 strides tonight.  Easy week due to half marathon this weekend so I am mixing up some of the sessions on P&D

• Wool - impressive tempo pace, what are you using as your target marathon pace.

ssc - never used gels but I am thinking of trying them.  It was good old fashioned jelly babies for me.  Last year I tried eating one per mile from the start but felt quite sick by mile 20.  Wouldn't bother for a training run.

14miles at 8:03 for me today

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

JF2: an optimistic 6:50. Tempos I just run on feel though.

PMJ: 5:45. Hmm. I wish. I'm biting no further on that comment. 

G-D: sounds promising. I always work on the fact that I can pretty much reproduce the pace for 6 tempo training miles in to HM pace on the day.

SSC: do you eat plenty before you go out? There's not really that much energy in those gels, I reckon the key part is the pre-run fuelling.

A fully P&D compliant 14 this evening. Pleasantly pleased that I could conform after last night's tempo effort. In some ways the MP+10% miles seem easier than the MP+20% ones.

• Nice 11 miler Jools with those 1m reps included too.

Good luck with your half this weekend sec.

Always tough PMJ when you have to do a run with mixed paces like that and to find a route that fits

Looks like it's 14 Wednesday JF2 & Wool. I did 14 too tonight in just under 8mm pace. Don't know how that relates to MP +%, only that I started off easy @ 8.20 and just went the flow.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Loving the porridge snot G Dawg- especially at breakfast time,...

Weather has turned nasty here with strong icy winds and drift snow. Still made my 2 runs though and may repeat today.

David Weir hero- image

• Jools-nice fast 11

G-dawg-fast tempo

PMJ-nice long lunch break to get 12 inimage

Slokey-great streak

SSC-fuel up the night before 

0052-good dedication.

Wool- good 14

KR-another nice 14

JF2-nice 14

Double yesterday so 6 miles last night with 3 flatout , 6;24 / 6:21 / 6:19 were the splits.

6 very slow easy tired ones followed this morn.

• Good splits and double run there Leslie.

Looking at getting a new GPS watch and maybe the Garmin 220. Anyone got one? I had a 610 but the sweat has corroded the recharging points and there have been some battery recharging issues too. So currently using an older 410 which is ok, but the bezel has a life of it's own and always have to lock it. So when it's dark I can't illuminate the screen. Another option might be a Tom Tom, anyone got one, if so any good and which model works best?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

An easy 7 miles over the hills today at a surprising 7.30 pace. It felt slower than that.
    Still can't shift ths cold but we plough on.

A rest now until Saturday when I join up with two mates and we take on a 20 miler which includes Box Hill. Dreading it and excited about it all at he same time. 1600ft of climbing on this run, never done anything like that before. Just hope the Achilles and calf muscles hold out.

GD

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

KR - I have an old 210 that I purchased because it was that bit more basic and had buttons....my old 405 just did my nut in in the end. They are cheap and do everything I need. If the 220 is nearly as good then it'll be great.

Nice 14 btw. It feels great to have got the midweek miles in don't you think?

Leslie - good pace. Nice work.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

G-D did I tell you the one about the Midsummer Munro HM that I ran last year up / over Box Hill multiple times? I was in the top 10 at halfway. From there I went through run-walk, then walk, then stop - walk, then lie down - walk. Walked the last 1/2 mile downhill backwards for a finishing time of 2:48.

Quads….never again.

Enjoy that run though image

• GD, you should get yourself up here to the Lakes. My 16miler on Saturday was over 3500ft of ascent. And that was only over some small fells. Lurvely.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Thanks Wool, needed that! image

Box Hill will get in our way from mile 10. We'll then have a couple of miles enjoying the view before falling down the other side for the final 8 miles back to my pal's house in Epsom.

Organising this run a few weeks ago seemed a good idea at the time. image

GD

X-Post - stuff that for a game of soldiers, SJ!!!

• KR: I've got the 220.  By and large it's been fine.  Occasional satellite issues which are usually resolved by turning off and turning it back on again, in the finest traditions of electronic malfunction fixes (I guess it's the Garmin version of Ctrl Alt Del...)

21M this morning (day out of court so took the opportunity to get LSR in as I've got a XC league race on Sunday - I hate it when they put them on Sundays!).  Not sure I refuelled brilliantly yesterday as it was a bit of a slog as soon as I hit any hills (fine on the flat, however, so perhaps just tired muscles) and I was absolutely ravenous when I got back in.  Stuffed myself with 2 rounds of toast, chocolate, fruit juice and a normal portion of porridge (plus plenty of sugary tea).  Charlie Spedding did mean to eat like the Very Hungry Caterpillar when he said to think caterpillar, didn't he?

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

KR - I have the 220 too.  I used to have a 910XT but when I decided not to waste time with triathlons realised it was pointless carrying a watch the size of a tv on my wrist.  I love the 220!  It also has just enough information to be useful without overloading me. I especially like seeing my cadence (around 190).  Little things!

Nice 21 miler Jools!  Take care of that hip SJ (stern look).  GDyou are running well and on course to race fast at the Surrey HM in March!  I may be racing or running it depending on how the next few weeks go.  I'll either go for that or the Bath HM which I have an entry for too.

I have just resumed training after a couple of weeks nursing my knee after tweaking my MCL.  I decided to start week 1 of Pfitz's 12 week plan rather than dive back into the 18 week plan I was on.  Physio has pronounced me strong and fit so hoping I can get to the start line of VLM in one piece! 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

PS  Lorenzo/GD - Despite having moved to Surrey last April I have yet to run up Box Hill but would love to so if either of you want to guide me please chip in! image

• KR, 220 owner here too and very happy with it. I love the cadence and didn't get a HRM to go with it and don't miss it one bit. One good thing is that I can upload via my iPhone so can go away for a week and upload runs etc without having to have a laptop with me (so work can't disturb me).

12 km at lunchtime. I am switching to km for a few days as I need to pace parkrun on Saturday for 21 minutes, so 4:12 per km on the nose, and then do a half on Sunday and try km as a dry run for the marathon. 4:30 for 42.195 km gives 3:09:53 so as the course is 5km laps it is much easier to work in km and the maths at 4:30 per km is trivial.

The parkrun pacing is a bit odd: I normally pace a group but this is pacing to a pace so running at 4;13 each km and not really interacting with the runners: just being a mobile time marker. The idea is that runners set off and then maybe pick up a pacer or chase the pacer ahead etc.

• Still using my 405 garmin here sounds like I might be mssing out seeing my cadence now image Always locks onto gps very quickly though so can't complain.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Have 610 and love it. Seems to have bad rep but very reliable and useful. Replaced my old 305 with a 620 but hated it. Pace all over the place, could take longer than a minute to catch up - not great when doing 1 min reps! Swapped it for a 610 and never looked back. Plus the new white version looks cool!

• Stern look noted MsE, I promise to behaveimage My single mile was in 9:45 tonight so I must be feeling marginally better. Great news on your splendid recovery.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Some great runs being posted, Jools, cracking 21 for midweek...

I have a tried and trusted 305.... but may upgrade later in the year (to a 310 xt if still available)

Been away in M Keynes,,, 60 min run last night and 6m progressive tonight

Take care

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm also suffering with hunger the last couple of weeks Jools- seem to be absolutely starving all the time and having to snack all day image.

Another frosty 6 miler today.

• Looks like the 220 is getting some good support. Looks a neat little watch. Thanks for the feedback. That's a good feature PMJ with the iPhone, but I'm sure I read that isn't compatible with an android yet.

ssc - make sure you wipe the back of your watch dry after every run. My 610 is all corroded on the back

Good news MsE being able to get back to training.

Good 21 miler Jools even though running on empty, must have been tough at the end.

I'm like you OO52, always seem to be hungry especially in the afternoon.

Did an 8 miler tonight with first 2 miles easy 8.19 & 7.59, then 5 miles at MP - ended up quicker!. Then the last mile was supposed to be easy but that came out at 6.55. Need to look at ,my pace judgement a bit more although I think I'm getting more used to it. the more MP miles I do. I'm trying to go more on feel rather than looking at watch. Ironic really as I can't usually read it on the go in the dark - hence looking out for new a new watch.

• GD- I'm planning on heading up Box Hill on Saturday morning. What time are you thinking of getting there?

MsE - fancy it this weekend?

• Jools - good mile reps.
    GD - nice hill and tempo runs.
    PMJ - looking good and all the best with the pacing.
    JF2 - nicely paced MLR.
    Wool - ditto!
    KR - and again! Sorry, can't help with the GPS watch.
    OO - well done on the double.
    Leslie - fast miles.
    Jools - well done on getting 21 miles in yesterday and nice carb-loading!
    MsE - great news! Take care now.
    SJ - better be on your best behaviour!
    RFJ - I always enjoy a nice progressive.
    Rest yesterday and 2 miles this morning - see how the foot reacts to that.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Lozza - not sure what time exactly we'll be on the hill as we'll be running from my mate's house in Epsom but we will be kicking off at about 8.00am. I've never done the route beore so I'll just be following him. I don't know how far into he run we'll hit the Box Hill area.There will be 3 of us. I'll be the one at the back, snotting away, still nursing this cold and generally feeling sorry for myself.image

If you do see us, you can either shout 'Grant!' (that's me) or 'G-Dawg!' as that will sound cool in front of my pals and give the impression I'm famous around Surrey! image image

GD

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

GD- I'm planning on heading up Box Hill on Saturday morning. What time are you thinking of getting there?

MsE - fancy it this weekend?

Oo-er. 

• Gul- hope its good news image

Mse- sounds like you got an offer you can't refuse image

6 easy ones today long run pushed out a day.

• Box Hill is clearly the place to be this weekend!  Although I have other plans...

7M easy this morning (8.33m/m).  Quite nice running at 7am now: it's light for the vast majority of a run now, and today's sunrise was beautiful.  Happy days!

• Joolska wrote (see)

Box Hill is clearly the place to be this weekend!  Although I have other plans...

Thought that was a hint at Wokingham but you are not listed image