Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul, what exactly is going on with your foot? Wondering if we are suffering from the same injury.

I'm back from Disney. Beautiful week in the warm. (Orlando was about 70 when getting on plane...was -13F this AM in Burlington...hello cold, my old friend...). Foot got steadily better despite walking all over the parks each day. Got a 4 mile run in Wed w/out pain. Then Thursday tried 5 and it flared a bit midway. Not much damage done though as pain gone again today. Getting there but more xtraining in the near future. I think my body just needs a break so it'll get one whether I like it or not!

I've got the 910XT and really love it. Does cadence w/foot pod (and this got me running faster cadence and subsequently injured so beware!), lights up at night, etc. However, I think they have a newer version of this watch now that is slightly smaller, does cadence w/out foot pod, and probably does your laundry too.

I really miss running. When I get old and can't run anymore I'll be in need of serious counseling and/or mood altering drugs!

• Oh, and awesome news on the reboot MsEimage

• sscssc ✭✭✭
    knight rider wrote (see)

ssc - make sure you wipe the back of your watch dry after every run. My 610 is all corroded on the back

KR - 610 must have had an update for the white version, maybe due to amount of comments about corrosion, my one has a plastic back so there doesn't seem to be any potential problem.

• My 305 packed in last year so got a 15 which does me fine.  Also have a timex ironman which I have never taken to, numbers are too small for me to read.

11miles today with 6miles LT at 6:37

• MsE - I'm shocked at you!!!! 

G-Dawg - I suspect our paths won't cross tomorrow. I need to get back early and I don't reckon you'll be on Box Hill until about 9.00 if you're coming from Epsom. Hope you enjoy it.

JF2 - that sounds like an impressive run. 

Hoping my leg will be OK tomorrow - there's still something not 100% about it.

• After a visit to fizz today, looking like I have a stress fracture, not tendonitis. So benched for several more weeks. But if it is a stress fracture, at least the rest should fix it and hopefully I can reboot strong. Bummer.

• GD / Lorenzo / MsE? Have a good run up Box Hill today.
    Leslie - enjoy your long run.
    Jools - definitely one advantage of running slightly later in the morningimage
    VTr - Oh no! Sorry to hear that; you're training was going so well. It's not easy being patient while it's healing. As for my foot, I just get a pain on the top near my ankle and a bit of inflammation. However it seems to be affecting my ankle now too, so I am coming to the conclusion that I need a complete break from running.
    JF2 - excellent LT run.
    Lorenzo - just be very careful with that leg.
    Four miles d&d this morning to tick the final Febulous box for the week. As hinted above though, I think I have been in denial. So sorry to let the CCSTF team down, but I am taking a complete break for at least a couple of weeks, I guess. I'm going to see what time the local swimming pool opens (I know they have an early bird session) and maybe I can swap Jantastic targets to swimming? I could limp on and manage the issues for a few weeks, but I think at best it's not going to heal and almost certainly will get worse with no chance of completing the marathon at the end anyway.

• Gul - oh no, that's not great news at all. I guess you're doing the right thing and giving it a complete rest. Perhaps target a few shorter races (or some cycling?) over the summer and then a marafun in the autumn?

Not good news either from you VTr - hopefully it is just a couple of weeks on the sidelines.

Took my leg out for a test long run (it was easier than leaving it behind!) this morning with the aim of doing the 15 miles I'd committed to in Week 1 of Febulous. A slight miscalculation of the route meant I ended up with 17.6 miles, with a few fairly brutal uphill bits (c.18%) but other than the expected tiredness when I got back there don't seem to be any worrying signs so I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything's OK.

Looking forward to this evening's "Cooking Round the World" meal - this weekend's selection was Poland so I'm having my first go at making pierogi followed by a sausage soup-type dish.image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Blimey, VtR, Gul - not good  . . . . I guess sympathy isn't helpful, but you have mine, nevertheless.  
    Better news for MsEimage   

good work this morn, Lorenzo, and encouraging re no reaction  . .

impressive midweek action by Jools (refuelling, that is) - although run not bad either . . . . .

21 here this morn  - felt comfy

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Mmmmm food! image Sounds nice Lorenzo. I look forward to hearing the taste report.

My pals and I had our 20 mile jolly jaunt over Box Hill  this morning. Went quite well. We just tapped it out but were very surprised to average 8.13 pace. Thought we'd be a lot slower than that. Indeed I'm a tad concerned we were a bit too quick but we held back on the downhill stretches and I left a gap on the other two on the early uphill bits around Leatherhead in order to keep my powder dry for the main event. Job done.

Had another sickness incident on 18 miles. Just retching, no spew. I think it's the end of this cold. The phlegm triggers my gag reflex. Happened earlier in Jan when I was at the end of my man-flu.Nice!

Anyway, beers earned. Hope all others have good runs this weekend.

GD

• Gul, VTr, that is a real bummer. My commiserations. image

I feel so ill. When will it end?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Shocking foot news, Gul and VT runner- VT at least you know the problem and should recover as you say with rest. Doubt you'l find a pool open early enough for you Gulimage.

18:33 at the parkrun & 4th- not really happy as I felt sluggish having gained a couple of pounds this week snacking in Geneva image. I need 18 tomorrow for a 55 mile week.

• Blimey, it's not been a good week for feet on the thread... Commiserations to VTR and Gul.

Nice LSRs going on: I obviously set a trend for getting them out of the way before Sunday image

10M with strides this morning ahead of XC league tomorrow.  Home fixture at last, so I can run there and back to turn it into a MLR.

• Gul, VTr, hope all gets better. Best to rest and come back stronger.

parkrun today as the 21 minutes pacer (4:12 per km) and pretty much 4:11 all the way round for 20:54 which is a tad fast but with GPS issues it is better to come in a slight bit fast than a slight bit slow, and I could have showboated the last 100m to hit 21:00 on the nose. Got a few pats on the back afterwards so even though nobody was with me at the end, there were some running scared ahead and some hanging onto my coat tails and 4 new PBs were had.

Wokingham Half tomorrow at 4:00 pace so confident as today at 4:12 was a jog.

• VTR and GUL-sounds like some bench time is needed and we never like that image

Lorenzo-nice 2 legged over-distance hilly 15'er image

G-dawg- nice 20 and  no follow though retching image

Slokey- get well soon , lurgy is in my house now and all around at work probably only a matter of time till I get it...

0052- 18:33 a disappointment ! , that's a cracking time image

Jools nice 10.

PMJ- nice public spirited pacing image

17 miles of hills this morn wasn't looking forward to it but it went ok and actually felt strong at the end so put in 2 faster miles at the end finishing in a 7:30m/mile.

80 miles for the week and 16 week mara campaign starts tomorrow .image

• Parkrun today and a new PB for my son in 40:12 (he is 5).  It's a massive interval session for him really - walk 100m run flat-out for 100m etc.  His favourite is to keep pace with the leaders for 50m or so as they come around on their second lap.

Still having an injurette with my right hip and running short doubles on a daily basis.

Top mileage there Leslie - how much volume are you planning when you actually start your campaign?

• Looks like a strong starting point for a campaign Leslie.

Well done to BIjr image

30mins of pedal turning then 30mins of shuffling to complete the most geriatric brick session of all time. Jantastic joker played. I just need to do the same tomorrow and sneak a bath/swim in and I'll score 100%. Yay.
  • Bike it- start em early ,my daughter was the same at 6 but her race was only a mile ..far enough as the pacing strategy is just like that mainly on till there face goes blue then off then on again image 

As for the schedule as I  will struggle on nightshifts to exceed 70 miles/week as I need a rest day now the plan is to max it out on dayshifts  as fitness allows ( I'm near max now )image 

• Gul/VTR - sorry to hear your injury news.  Sounds like rest is the only sensible option. Hope you are not out for too long.

Lorenzo/MsE - I hear that sort of behaviour is rife in Surrey!

Not the best week of running for me but finished with at decent 20 miler this morning.  Started at 9m/m and finished at just under 8m/m.  8:20 pace overall.

I missed a session midweek and had a poor intervals session yesterday which I cut short after 4 out of 6 intervals.  Maybe no coincidence that a sloppy week of running followed the end of Dry January!

A somewhat light but numerically pleasing 44.44m for the week.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    So, who actually did it today on Box Hill?

VT /Gul sorry to hear about your injuries. image

Who's at Wokingham tomorrow? PMJ and ???

SJ - still ill? Hopefully you should be at the otherside of it now.

Today I ran 4 miles, avg 8:45! First time I've manage that post op. Tomorrow I need to do a little brick of turbo (too icy to cycle first thing here) then run because I've entered a duathlon in 5 weeks time. Oops.
  • Great that you are back on it Minni!
  • Leslie H wrote (see)

80 miles for the week and 16 week mara campaign starts tomorrow .image

starts?????? You be careful and keep a lid on things. 16 weeks is a long campaign and you need some recovery and rest in it.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Some more good long runs in the bag, goo to see,

OO -  nice parkrun

I was timing today at park run as had XC this afternoon - Good run today in the last of the XC league races, best of the season, so very happy. Finished in best position of the year too (119th) all splits under 7 mm and faster on average pace than last year... 5.82 for the XC and some miles to make it up to 9.3 for the day.

15m planned for tomorrow

Take care

• Lorenzo - sounds promising!
    Birch - quietly banging out those long runs - very impressive.
    GD - good LSR.
    OO - still a decent parkrun - good sign that you're hungry for better. Pool opens at 6am, so would need to rearrange my morning schedule!
    Jools - have a good XC race tomorrow.
    PMJ - excellent pacing. All the best for Wokingham.
    Leslie - nice fast finish and another top week for mileage.
    Bike It - congrats to Bike It Jnr! Hope the rest is doing its work.
    SJ - by hook or by crook!
    GE - nicely structured long run.
    Minni - that's great!!!
    RFJ - excellent XC.
    Just to clarify, I haven't given up hope of running the Spring Shakespeare yet. Just meant that if I don't stop now then there's no chance at all!

• Minni, I can't believe you're doing a duathlon in 5 weeks! Blimey. Great to hear the recovery is going well. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Box Hill was too far for me yesterday as I had a MRP LR scheduled for today.  Sounds like GD and Lorenzo (sorry to tease!) had great runs!

Birch - you are continuing to inspire with your steady training. And I continue to learn from PMJ's statistical analysis of how to place one foot in front of the other.

Top miles from you Leslie! I am still looking at SJ sternly...

Sounds like a good day for you yesterday GE and RFJ.

Top stuff from Minni!!!!!! image

AND SENDING ALL MY GET WELL VIBES TO VTR AND GUL.

Quite pleased with week 1 of Pfitz's 12 week plan completed comfortably ending in a 15 mile MRP run.  The two weeks out with injury haven't set me back as much as I feared and may have done my achilles a favour with the enforced rest.  Still I am glad to be doing a 12 week plan instead of cranking on with the 18 week one.  I didn't know what to aim for with the MRP miles today so went with it.  I was up early and out the door without any fuel or fluid but a gel in my pocket just in case.   It was cold and after a 4 mile warm up the miles started at 7:01m/m and ended in 6:46m/m.  I was meant to do 8 but ended up adding one on as it felt so good to be running smoothly after such a long time for one reason or another giving me a total of 15 miles average pace of 7:30m/m and feeling really strong.  Happy days.

• Minni- welcome back and straight back in with race image

RFJ- great pace for xc 

MSE- that's proper fast mara pace miles image

PMJ-my schedule is really a 24 week one but the first 8 weeks are just base building the last 16 weeks adds intervals .It doesn't start at 80mile/week either so I over- revved a bit this week due to favourable shift pattern image but nightshift will reel that back in this week to 65(ish) image Will see how it goes and adjust as needed , 16 weeks is a long time I agree.

A nice easy paced and very foggy half mara this morn with a running buddy to start the week image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good news, Minni - onwards & upwards now  . . . . 

MsE - excellent work !  

6.5 easy for 55 mile week here - in shorts, too !  

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Aimed for sub 1:30 today in half marathon, PB is four mins quicker from 18 months ago so wanted a run that didn't take me out of training for a week or so.  Happy to report a 1:29 dead which was pleasing as sections had a strong head wind.  Now hoping for quick recovery!

• The girls are back! Now fellas, sort your feet out!

20 miles for me this morning, 70.7 for the week.