Sub 3h15

Comments

• JF2 wrote (see)

I'm feeling better today so managed 13miles at 7:34.  8 easy then finished with 2 at MP, 2 at HMP and 1 at 10k pace

Tasty end to that run. I was having trouble with MP at the end, could not have done HMP yet alone 10k.

• Good sessions being done today. Fortunately managed to get mine in before the wind picked up - 9.5 hilly miles.

Long one planned tomorrow, followed by a sports massage to try and sort out the rather annoying soreness in my upper leg that still comes and goes.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

KR - that 10 miler makes me very envious. Similarly green-making run JF2. Nice.

Life getting in the way of P&D perfection at the moment so an evening 20 miler for me. Somehow found the section of the evening without the pouring rain so able to get P&D pacing conformity even if it was on the wrong day. Very happy to pretty much get in to cruise control with the last 10 @ 7:30. That's been a hard 6 days though (70 miles incl my 13 @ MP) so looking forward to my rest day tomorrow.

• Wind? What wind? I just had rain to play with on my run. Belated MLR since I raced on Wednesday night. 

• Wool: looks like a good 20 there: you did well to find a gap in the rain, been solid all evening for me with just heavy and heavier rain. 10@7:30 is good going for the second half: I'm a bit envious as I am still feeling last Sunday a bit and still have my long run (luckily only 17) on Sunday.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Ah, but I took the easy option last Sunday PMJ. I'll have a compromised week of training around Reading instead (but I can't resist a go, weak!).
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

so, how does this work ?

impromptu long evening with my friend, shared a couple of bottles of wine, kip at 3:30 am, up at 6:30, meet pals for 7:30 - 10 miles undulating on & off road, back at park for parkrun - hadn't planned, but had barcode, so thought "why not" - just hit it as hard as I could, not expecting a lot, Result - 20:47 - full minute up on the two I did before Christmas (21.46 & 21.47), - quickest since autumn 2011, and a WAVA of 77.15%. 1st VoGit & 49/460 overall.
    Trotted 7 to complete a 20 mile morning'swork.
    Not a preparation I'd do too often, but very satisfying, so I hope the self-indulgent post can be forgiven . . . . . .

• Birch - sounds like an excellent preparation schedule. In the interest of scientific progress, surely you've got to do the same again next weekend. 

21.7 miles for me this morning in just under 3 hours. Some tough uphill bits en route, including a climb up the back of Box Hill and then the sneaky 1 in 5 section a couple of miles from home. Not too much jip from the leg, but had it checked out and given the squeezy massage treatment and all seem to be fine now.

54 miles for the week as I've been advised to take tomorrow as a rest day.

Plan for the afternoon: a quick snooze, watch the rugby then go and see Selma before coming back and knocking up a nice French (this weekend's random country) meal. Happy Days! image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Wind is rubbish for running in, it's official.

Some good running going on, notably KR's speedy 10 miler. You sound in very good shape. 20s bagged by Wool and Lorenzo already, and an impressive parkrun performance from Birch. Wine and no sleep is obviously the way forward.

9.5 on Thursday and 7.5 yesterday has kept me ticking over nicely, should be comfortably over 40 for the week.

Gul - interview was on Wednesday, and resulted in a job offer. Annoyingly though, had to turn it down as the commute vs reward balance was weighted too heavily in favour of the commute side of the equation. Frustrating, as it was ideal for me in terms of job spec, my background & skills, good people, etc. So the search goes on.

• Wool- nice fast 20 bagged 

Birch- back on form nice parkrun and wine fuelled 20 image

Lorenzo-21.7 nice long run that .

Abbers- think id have taken the job till something else better turned up , good week for you image

Woke up after nights and went to roll over in bed and immediately had very painful cramp in my calf  for about 10 secs image,it bloody hurtimage but can still feel it now but ok when I run thankfully.

Got out for just over 12 very slow miles to bag 69 for the week image

• Birch - Delighted for you, really well done!

TR - Thanks man. It's a pleasure to be able to run with someone with a real talent and a genuinely nice person too.

Abbers - I'm sure you will find something soon.

Speedy - Did I miss your race on Wed? What was it??

Wool - 70 mile week is very good and a great 20 there!

Leslie - I've had that calf cramping issue before, it's horrible. Nice mileage too!!

Lorenzo - Hehe. Nice running by yourself too, glad you're ok.

I went out last night on a work social event, it was a Fawlty Towers murder mystery night. Free food and booze all-night long and boogied into the early hours. Mad night it was, but got out tonight for a 5 mile clear the head run. Was nice out there. Will be spectating at the local XC tomorrow. Hoping for some decent weather.

• Birch, nice running! Blazing 5K. I assume you felt great during the race. Must have floated home on the amazing vibes post-raceimage

Lorenzo, nice super long effort from you as well.

Leslie, you are reminding me of Moof these days. Impressive mileage every week. Remind me of your race and your goal time again?

Wool,  more of the same for you. Everyone is doing great these days. I sense many strong marathons in the near future.

I have to admit, when you are hurt, it's hard to come on here and read about the exploits (as I'm sure Minni, Abbers, and others can attest). Abbers, well thought out decision on the job. And you must be pleased to be running so well again.

PMJ you are far into your schedule when you can say "only 17".

My foot is steadily feeling better over the course of this week. Absolutely no training going on as my gut says I really need to rest it to heal. So far 4 weeks since I hung things up. One of those weeks had lots of elliptical; another had 2 short runs and marathon walking around Disney; and 2 have just been rest. Starting to get used to not having my work day broken up for the run (I have been incredibly productive as a result!). Plus wife happy during this hiatus from running. So not completely bad I guess.image While I'm certainly losing fitness, I hope overall the break let's me come back stronger. I think I was getting pretty stale over 2 years straight of roughly the same stuff. OK, enough grumbling. Back to work...

• Erm, I may have forgotten to mention it GM. I tend to skim read as much as possible then forget to post anything as I'm so tired! It was the Derby midweek 5k. I ran a PB of 18.42 but was disappointed as I thought I should be able to run closer to 18.30. However, I failed to work out what pace I needed to run at in order to get that. I set of at six pace, stayed there and was retching in the finish straight so probably as fast as I was going to get on the night!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Evening all,

not been in for a few days, busy and trying to get hamstring sorted, massage all done and showed nothing that it should not have done other than a lot of tightness, some painful massage hands later and seems OK

Managage a reasonable parkrun this morning at about 90% effort with a 20:41, Jnr was also returning back to ruuning too, and was closing in on him untill 600m to go, then he left me for dead.... the joys of youth...

1st 20m of the campaign tomorrowat Bramley 20, I am not racing it, but do have a plan....

Some great runs being posted along with some good weekly milages and speedsters, Speedy, KR, Wool, Lorenzo, Birch, Leslie, Gerald and Abbers

wishing speedy recoveries to Gul and VTR

Take care

• Ah Speedy I know what you mean, you do run a lot and I'm not surprised you're tired. Really well done on the new pb, that's a great time! I'm sure there is quite a bit more to come off that should you chose to race some more 5k's. I may run one myself soon and would be very happy with a time like that.

RFJ - Nice parkrun and must be lovely to be able to run it with Junior too.

VTR - You will come back stronger!

• KR - fantastic 10 miler the other day - you are flying!
    SJ - pleased to hear the brick is nothing to do with your illness! Get well soon.
    MsE - you don't need to make any excuses. You have come back from injury with avengeance and are looking in very good form regardless.
    PMJ - 3:10 is going to be a breeze - 3 weeks and 6 days to go!
    ssc - good progress.
    JF2 - nice fast finish MLR.
    Lorenzo - still getting lots of hilly miles in those legs, I see. Hope a massage will get rid of the soreness once and for good.
    Wool - evening 20 miler is impressive.
    Birch - unusual training strategy but it seems to have worked. How many 20+ milers have you done now? Must be quite a few and you've still got 2 months to go!
    Abbers - yes, that is frustrating. But at least it should give you the confidence to know that you can get an offer. Hope you can find a suitable one close to home.
    Leslie - be careful. Have you had a cut-back week lately?
    GM - Fawlty Towers murder mystery evening sounds fun!
    VTr - keep positive and it will be worth it in the end!
    Speedy - well done on the PB - good to hear you are hungry for more!
    RFJ - good parkrun. All the best for Bramley.
    Managed to sneak in a double yesteryday. Easy bike ride in the morning and half an hour of relaxed swimming in the middle of a family swim. Final Febulous session this morning - another bike ride. Hopeful that I might be able to test out the foot/ankle with a short run by the end of this coming week.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Hope RFJ is having a good run at Bramley. Not much wind today and a very pleasant temperature.

I think your PB still  needs congratulating Speedyimage

VTr - hang in there.

Gerard - what I want to know is, is she single? image

Do be careful and maybe ease off the miles a bit Leslie?

A job offer you can refuse means there is certainly work out there for you, Abbers.  Hope one arrives soon.

Birch I remain your biggest fan.image  That WAVA is impressive! 

Nice long runs Wool and Lorenzo.  Your campaigns are looking promising.

Nice MLRs PMJ and JF2.  I think your marathons will be closer to 3 or below, no?  

Finished a 61 mile week with a 17 miles @7:35m/m today. I didn't take the dog which felt a bit odd as we run everywhere together but it was nice to focus on my running.  Started slow (8:0x) and ended faster (7:0X) which is what is meant to happen I think.  I am still learning here.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Gul - I think you may be coming back quicker than you thought image!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great "almost 22", Lorenzo - 1 in 5 hill near the end sounds cruel . . . .
    VTr - admirable patience there . . . .
    RFJ + jnr - good parkrunning - nice to run with our offspring (even if they show us a clean pair of heels)
    Leslie - excellent miles !
    MsE also - 17 & a 61 mile week - you're in the zone ! 
    Gul - another showing commendable fortitude - surely your day will come  . . . .
    ( 5 x 20-21 milers this year here, with a preliminary 18 & 20 in December)

• Lorenzo, let's call it 22.

The 17 became 18 due to some incompetent pausing on the Garmin on an out and back so the out was too long. Also became a very slow and muddy 18, but very enjoyable. Plan was always to do it as a time on the feet run and a 9:10 mile followed by one at 9:33 (and 76 metres height gain) got me into the right mind set so I settled back and enjoyed running along very muddy and very wet paths. Just over 2.5 hours on the feet and the shows felt like bricks when I took them off at the end. One more long run (20) next Sunday and then 16, 12, marathon!

• VTR- Walled city marathon 31st may ,1ve only completed week 1 of 16 but will put down 3:15 as a target for now depends how it goes reallyimage ...and where is moof these days ?

Gul- cutback week 4 weeks ago , dayshift this week id rather cutback on a nightshift week like this week as these are much harder , anyway I cutback from 80m last week image Hearing what you are saying though image Im flying on days its these bloody nights are killing me !

MSE- fast 17'er there looks like you are well on your way to sub 3 image Mileage constantly under review but things always feel worse on nightshift weeks.

CC2- great 5k time image

RFJ- goodluck with not racing that 20m 

17 miles today and 2 running buddies easy at the start with the last 3 at 7:30m/miles when they bailed out  image

• Great LSR, MsE. You're in excellent shape!

Nice work from PM, too.

Bramley for me and nice to meet RFJ and Sandy Balls. Executed my progressive run pretty much on schedule: 5 @ ~7.30, 5 @ ~ 7 + 10 @ ~6.33. Legs but not lungs struggled with the last change of gear and Garmin showed 6.40s after 2M but rallied and finished strongly.
  • MsE - Hehe, no she is not. She's cool though and it's nice to meet new people and mix in fresh circles. That's a very tasty 17 by you. Start slow and finish fast. Sounds like the exact opposite of my 2 marathons. Well done!image

Gul - It was indeed much fun, Polly only went and murdered the hotel inspector and Manuel could barely string a couple of Spanish words together. We were all crying with laughter. Well done on the cross training! Hope you are back soon.

Birch - That's two 20+ milers more than I've ever done.

• Some good running.

MsE excellent long run

Birch not sure I have the confidence to try for 3hours, it's a long way if you get it wrong.

MP run today.  16 total with 12 at 7:13, found it tough.  54 for the week as I missed Wednesdays 15 miler.

• Stamford 30k (plus warm up) for me today. Plan was 10k @ MP+ 20% (8.00), 10k@ MP +10% (7.20) and 10k at MP (6.40). Actual averages for each 10k were 7.55, 7.18, 6.37. The hardest bit was running so slowly for the first 10k, which were downhill mostly. Saving my legs for the The National XC next weekend, so not tempted to go any faster.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done on some good runs

Leslie - 17m well done
    PMJ - a good gamin incompetent 18m image
    Jools - well executed at Bramley and good to see you.
    MsE - Nice 17m
    JF2 - Good 16m
    Speedy Nice run at Stamford (Hopefully may see you next week at the nationals)

1st 20m of the campaighn bagged at Bramley 20... wasnt able to execut my plan fully which was progressive run, but wheels fell off after pee stop at 15m, but was feeling it before then. Howver I am still content as the hammy didnt play up at all, just havent got the strength or endurance just yet.... there is still time image The last five I knew I didnt have the tank for it, so eased of to a comfortable run to ensure I did no damage....

Actual vs Plan

1st 5m - 39:46 (40:00 - 8mm)
    2nd 5m - 38:13 (38:45 - 7:45mm)
    3rd 5m - 38:07 (37:30 - 7:30mm)
    4th 5m - 41:59 (36:15 - 7:15mm)

20.04m 2:38:25

Take care

• I'm clearly too selfish - I took the view today was *way* more important from a training perspective than the Nationals (although it's fair to say I don't anticipate being a scoring athlete with only 4 to score and the cream of B&W hopefully fit and well), plus I also took the view that 10 @ MP shouldn't knacker my legs too much and they should be feeling reasonably ok by Saturday.  We shall see!

• I don't want to go all the way to That London only to discover my legs are toasted. That said, next week is scheduled for 80 miles, so they may well be anyway!

• Fair enough. It's a pretty short journey for me - could do a day trip - albeit I'm meeting up with friends so will stay over the night before.
  • Good to see Jools and RFJ at Bramley. I had a sore foot this week and was a little bit apprehensive, but the run went to plan. First 10 in 1:16:00, second 10 in 1:12:45.

Managed 47.5 this week off of 5 runs, which is the best of the campaign so far.