Sub 3h15

Comments

• I'm with SJ - the only debate is which kind of jam. Good news on the interview and the running run.

Glad to hear that Gul is back on the road and raring to go.

Great XC'ing from OO and MsOO. How did she finish 9th with the 4th quickest time? Good luck to her in the National Schools XC (is that the one in Blackburn) - younger Lorenzito missed out on a place in the Surrey team by a couple of positions and about 15s. 

9 commuting miles for me today - nothing special to report.

For those of you that are interested, entries for Abingdon (18 Oct) are now open. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Raspberry. Fact.
  • You can't have sugar coated ones, you'll spend the whole time trying not to lick your lips.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - good MLR.
    PMJ - I haven't tried custard ones with chocolate tops - sound nice.
    KR - good week's running.
    SJ - watch out Ron Hill!
    8 miles @ 7:52 m/m. Gradually increased pace to MP effort and the last 5 were somewhere around 7:34 m/m.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes Lorenzo it's Blackburn- tough on the lads I think competition is much tougher for them to get a place. There were 2 packs at the XC, junior was in the fast pack, so 9th was her finish position.

Shocking start to the week, here image

• Here is the Boston Creme: truly the king of doughnuts above all others but not in a running sense.

http://www.krispykreme.com/SharedContent/User/80/80d60515-d9f5-4403-a39b-62f27ffe3905.png

For a running doughnut, jam makes sense, and that has to be cherry or beetroot (can you get beetroot jam doughnuts?) for their claimed marathon benefits.

Jantastic, and the Consistently Consistent sub-3:15 team has recorded well. It is hard to work out the exact details but we are 2/3rds in and only 3 medium teams have scores over 2/3rds so we are up there or thereabouts. Currently ranked #2 of 220.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul- good mara pace effort.

Kr-good week

Beetroot doughnuts, you can keep em ! image

Heavy snow this morn so long run put off and went to the dreadmill so to relieve the boredom I did a 7 mile hard progression run.

Splits :8:00, 7:47, 7:31, 7:13, 6:58, 6:44, 6:31 image sweatin buckets ! dreamill is much easier on my dodgy leg though so might be a better option for me ...

• Things are looking up for you Slokey.

Gradual increase seems to be doing the job Gul.

Great treadmill progressive run Leslie.

Custard has to be one of the worst fillings, especially when you least expect it. Someone at work brought some in on a birthday. It was like Rusian Roulette not knowing which was Raspberry or Custard

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

I'm with Leslie on the jam debate. Beetroot? Wouldn't fancy that. Raspberry every time. Heavy snow? No sign of that down here! Don't blame you for resorting to the dreadmill instead.

Excellent news on the job offers SJ, as well as general all round good training. So which contract are you going for?

KR - doughnut Russian Roulette, sounds like something out of Bugsy Malone. A bit like dipping into a bag of Revels...

Nice progressive run from Gul and steady effort from Lorenzo.

6.5 easy miles for me yesterday in the wind, and then 6 miles today including 6 x 800 which came out at 2:58, 2:56, 3:02, 3:01, 3:07 and 3:04. Happy enough with that, and encouraging to see a couple dip into the 2:5x bracket.

• As a beetroot juice lover, I have to admit to never having heard of let alone tried beetroot jam.

a. Where can you get it from?

b. Has Minni ever tried making it?!

Good stuff from Abbers and Leslie.

Hill reps in the rain for me this morning. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds awful Leslie. By contrast my 7 miles was in the cool mid day sun of Geneva-very pleasant.

Now March has started I guess that's over half way for most of us, and for those with April marathons, we can noe think 'next month'. Are we all happy with progress so far? Anyone bold enough yet to make a prediction? I'm pretty happy so far but no clue on race time till. Maybe when I've run my 20 mile race in a couple of weeks.

• Tesco, beetroot relish. Not strictly jam, but very good

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5XBn_5LcfngvfQE8mo3YhUnSiQFzYkpxrAU6wyDjmd5jfIEo&usqp=CAE

• Leslie - good treadmill session, must admit I quite like doing some faster runs on the 'mill

Abbers - impressive interval times

No snow here so a cold and windy 9 miles on Aberdeen prom with 5x600m at 5:50, 6:27, 6:17, 5:59 and 6:04 m/m.  Long time since I ran anything at less than 6 min/mile even if it was short and wind assisted.

• sscssc ✭✭✭
    OO52 wrote (see)

Sounds awful Leslie. By contrast my 7 miles was in the cool mid day sun of Geneva-very pleasant.

Now March has started I guess that's over half way for most of us, and for those with April marathons, we can noe think 'next month'. Are we all happy with progress so far? Anyone bold enough yet to make a prediction? I'm pretty happy so far but no clue on race time till. Maybe when I've run my 20 mile race in a couple of weeks.

Was feeling confident for a 3:15 Pb up to a couple of weeks ago when the calf went.  This is week 3 of rehab but pleased to report 30 mins of jogging tonight so hopefully i can complete a steady week and get back into some P&D next week. Onwards and upwards!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Personally I cannot stand beetroot (likewise gooseberrys) they are about the only 2 things I do not like. Caramelised onion marmalade on the other hand is lovely with salad... also marmite too esp with cheese...

could not get to track tonight as facilities all locked up and I needed the facilities...image after driving sraight from work... so drove home and went from home, warm up then 4m at MP and 7:08 / 7:06 / 6:59 / 7:05 and then 4 x 300m all in 1:05 cool down, 7.56m in total

• PMJ - you are the thread equivalent of google images. I bet you'd be able to find bizarre things like a Weasel riding on the back of a Woodpecker in no time!

Tastey 800 reps Abbers & sub 6 m/m 600's JF2.

Looks like you made up for the closed track RFJ with a good MP and 300m reps.

10 x hill reps tonight. Managed to average 6.48 pace for both the up and the down sections.

• Looks like it is intervals time of the week.  Well done RFJ, KR, Abbers and JF2.

Mine were 6x1k, all between 3:55 and 3:59 (6:15-6:20 m/m). With 3m warm up and 2.5m cool down it was 10m in the bag.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - good progressive run.
    Abbers - nice set of reps.
    Lorenzo - good hill work.
    OO - just 10 days to go here and it's still very much guesswork.
    PMJ - somehow that Boston creme doughnut looks much more appetising than the beetroot relish!
    JF2 - good efforts along the prom!
    ssc - glad you've been able to do some running. Hope the recovery continues.
    RFJ - good combo session.
    KR - stonking hill session.
    GE - good consistent 1k reps.
    3 mile recovery run d&d.

• knight rider wrote (see)

PMJ - you are the thread equivalent of google images. I bet you'd be able to find bizarre things like a Weasel riding on the back of a Woodpecker in no time!

Weasel on a woodpecker, no way! Putin bare-chested on a weasel on a woodpecker ...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/3/3/1425398236394/97c249ab-335d-463d-85a4-c40fb80eedef-460x426.png

• Very good PMJ. Although I'm sure someone Photoshopped that Weasel into the pictureimage

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Am most pleased to see the thread is running well! I'm sure Speedy will be back to normal soon :: positive affirmations do work::

Fit my long run in early today as I'm hoping to race on Sunday so treat that as my MLR. I'm knackered. 17@8:20 which is considerably slower than Sunday's 20 but I am not going to ruin myself given how recently I ran long and after 9 muddy trail miles yesterday where the dog and I got a bit lost.
  • sscssc ✭✭✭

A quick summary of my 5 mile run tonight:

@ Calf starting hurting again after 35 mins.

imageimageimageimage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just skimmed back. Donuts, hmmm love all of them but have to agree with KR custard is not my thing unless warm and poured over a hot baked apple tart or pie or whatever you choose to call it. Beetroot, non merci!

JF2 - Very good prom reps, sub 6 hey! Sounds good!

RFJ - Excellent MP run!

Lorenzo - You are very dedicated. Good stuff. I have a feeling you're going to have a great Comrades as long as you don't go too mad before then.

KR - Consistently good as ever!image

ssc-  Oh man!

MsE - Nice early big miles. What are you up this w/end? Pls remind me? 

PMJ - That's disconcertingly hilarious!

Gul - Good to hear you are niggle free, please do try not to fret to much over the next few days or so. A relaxed approach may be the ticket this time.

My off week of running this has been 3 runs so far, out and back to the beach with strong Westerly winds, it's a pleasure to head south eastwards and run along the beach that holds so many memories for me as my boy grew up on those shores with the beach as his garden. A little anecdote if I may. He summed it up beautifully one day as a 5 year old in his 2nd year at school and kids being kids, like to out do each other and a few remarked and said hey, but you don't have a garden Seb, and to which he replied, Oh yes I do, and someone replied and said no you don't you live in an apartment on the beach and you have a balcony, to which, he then replied. I have the biggest garden in the world. The Beach! Love that! image

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

SSC! Sorry to hear about the flare up.

So today I ran. Well kind of. Specifically, I ran on this http://www.fitsupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x/09223bb708e3e82ab8c3b90b35809f38/o/c/octane-zero-runner-zr7-m1.jpg

Have any of you heard of this Octane Zero Runner before? I hadn't, but it is pretty amazing. I "ran" for an hour and got a pretty decent workout in. Now if only I could convince my wife we should spend $3K USD on one! If nothing else it felt good to get some exertion in. I've been grounded for the past 10 days (took no chances to bother the foot). Think today was OK (no setback). Will see Fizz again tomorrow to see whether I'm ready for baby steps on pavement.

I've found myself embracing some time off (mainly because what else can I do?). But now I've got a rather severe itch to get back at it. Plus I'm finally starting to get a little plump so it's time to get the furnace stoked again!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Apologies for another flying visit - overslept again. 10 miles inc. 2 x 4M tempo efforts; 6:54 m/m and 7:07 m/m.  Average for the whole session 7:12 m/m.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Oh no ssc! That is rubbish news. How's it feeling today? What's the rehab plan?

That looks a bit weird VTR - but if it allows you to train without aggravating an injury then it's got to be a good thing. Reminiscent of MsE's spell in the wrong trousers.

Cracking session Gul.

I've had a real bounce of fitness this week. Very odd surge of feeling much stronger, leaner and faster - feeling like I want to race.....
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

JF2, RFJ, KR, GE - good interval sets there gents.

ssc - really sorry to hear about the calf relapse. You have my sympathy, although I know it's not what you want right now!

MsE - that sounds like a perfectly decent run to me, especially on tired legs after other recent exploits. What's your race this weekend?

PMJ - excellent picture work! image

GM - can't get much better than that!

VTR - haha - heavy outlay for the home gym!

Gul - sounds like an excellent 10 miler there.

SJ - given the way you've been training, I'd say that's your body adapting to the workload. Enter something! Have you made a job choice?

Nondescript easy 5 yesterday, something more challenging along tempo lines later today. Then it's a couple of rest/easy days ahead of Salisbury on Sunday, which should give me some kind of benchmark for current fitness. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Abbers, not made a choice yet - still in the process for a perm role so I'll see how that goes before finally deciding but I'm liking the look of the contract route. Agreed a rate card etc with them yesterday and now it's just up to me when I want to jump in.
  • A good time on feet run MsE, good luck for your race on Sunday

ssc - back news with the calf again

Jealous of your nearness to the beach  and “big garden” Gerard

VT runner - that looks an odd contraption. I guess it takes the impact out of running on the concrete

Another good tempo effort run Gul - worth the lie in I think!

Same as you yesterday Abbers except I didn't run as my wife was in Edinburgh for the day. Planning a progressive 8 - 10 miler tonight.