Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

G-Dawg, Abbers - great racing, chaps - those results suggest strongly that your stated targets are there for you  . . . .

beer here too, soon, once my friend arrives.  

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

MsE - I was fine at the start, just a bit chilly, especially in my new ClimaCool t-shirt which was keeping me cool even though I already was! image

Loved the event. Easy cycle ride from home to get there and back again. Got over excited riding there and was sweating when I turned up. turned out to be the ideal warm-up.

The pacers did a great job. Just seen they came in with 20 secs to spare. So glad I felt good at halfway and made the decision to ease away. Home advantage and course knowledge certainly helped as I knew when to hold back and when to hit the burners. Still buzzing! image

Your performance is outstanding and you weren't feeling 100%. Only other runners understand the achievement of the individual whereas non-runners only see the difference between you and the winner!?!. Just last week I once again had the "and how long is that marathon?" question. image

Another mate today just scraped under 2  hours for a PB, he's also over the moon and I am for him. We've all been there, hitting one time barrier after another. I gave him his training plan and some coaching and now I have a case of beer as a thank you. image

GD

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Some great racing and running being osted, on top of congrats earlier,

MsE - awesome Half and good to get the money too

Birch - excellent Sub 90 well done

G-Dawg - Also excellent sub 90, thats what you call nailing it. well done

Abbers, happy for you, glad to be of service (for what its worth my splits were 6:41 / 6:42 / 6:45, 6:39, 6:50, 6:51, 7:01 (big hill) 6:51, 6:49 and 6:46, so fairly consistant)

Jools, you are good ahape at present and those sessions show it, well done.

• Options

G-Dawg - well done on the sub 90

MsE - fantastic time, you must be confident of a sub 3 marathon

Speedy and ssc - hope you are back in the groove soon

Inverness half today, fairly average 1:31:06.  Slowed a bit into the wind in the last few miles but fairly happy I was comfortable with a steady 6:55 pace for most of the race.  Come to the conclusion I am carrying at least 5kg too much weight, something I need to work on in the next 6 weeks.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Still a great time JF2.  Without the added ballast and wind think how you would fly! image

I am starting to entertain the idea of sub-3... image  Thank you for your kind words threadsters!  I feel like the miles are only just starting to take effect and am looking forward to the races ahead. WAVA achieved today of 83% image

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Top running for the HM and 10 milers. It is good to see both MsE and Birch having quite outstanding runs. I note Birch's explanation of his form.

Almost injured madness continues here. Ran tonight in shoes I bought at the 2012 VLM expo which I left here because they were worn out. Still they are surprising cushioned.

I know I'm a runner because I often sleep in my running kit
  • Options
    Trying to read back on the thread (some great runs this weekend), but my missus is giving me earache about whether I am balancing running and family life at the moment! Just another 7 weeks...

Gave Salisbury a miss this year (a great race) and did the Devizes Half instead. A chance to try out marathon pace. To stop me pushing on, I got a free entry in exchange for pacing 1:35. It was good fun and I took the responsibility of running an even race seriously. There were a few hills, a particularly nice one at 2 miles, which made pacing a bit tricky.

Anyway, ran around in 1:34.46, so spot on really. The last mile was a bit down hill, so the small group running with me, left me behind, such is life.
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Birch, outstanding run. Whatever you have in your water lately needs to be shipped my way!image

MsE, equally outstanding. Seems like you were just injured and here you boom out a 1:24 coming off an illness. I am very interested to see how your marathon goes. I think sub 3 is in the cards.

RFJ and Abbers, you guys got it done in that 10 miler. Happy for you both (esp you Abbers as you've waited quite a while for health (and SPEED) to return!).

GD, I guess we package you w/Birch for smashing things.

JF2, likewise nice effort and good pacing Sandy Balls.

Lorenzo, thanks for the smile!

On my end, 5 pain-free miles yesterday. Cadence good; pace where I expected it; HR of course a bit high, but pleased that everything just felt normal despite all the time off. So another baby step. But am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. We'll see as tomorrow I get to try again.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

ssc - sorry to hear that. Hope you recover well and can put together an uninterrupted campaign for the autumn.
    Lorenzo - good week's running!
    OO - nice back to back runs.
    Bike It - enjoyable parkrun with your son.
    literatin - nice 22 miler.
    RFJ - great result in Salisbury!
    MsE - cracking time for the Surrey Half and congrats on the prize!
    Birch - brilliant result - you've put in a lot of hard work over the last few months , so it's well deserved.
    Jools - excellent few days of running.
    Abbers - another great results - sub 90 beckons.
    GD - hurray! That's a great time. Congratulations.
    JF2 - good result if you're 5kg over race weight.
    SB - job well done with the pacing.
    VTr - that sounds very promising!
    Wow - what a weekend! Well done guys.
    5 miles with 3 x 800m @ MP effort for me this morning.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

MSE- nice target, your half shows its possible image

SB- good pacing

VTr- your recovery is going well.

GUL-nice mara paced 800's

Last night 5x400 then 3x800 all at 6:15m/mile pace in a 7 miler, this morn 5 easy recovery miles on the dreadmill to save the legs a bit image

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

real runner would just hang up the sweaty ones and put them back on the next day. image

Hands up for that. I travel a lot on business and refuse to check baggage so hand luggage only and have flown with training shoes and racing shoes so very little space left over for anything else so I get good at re-use or rinse and dry: many a  time I have rigged up a hair-dryer, the obligatory bible and a few chairs into a makeshift tumble-drier.

OO52 wrote (see)

My mp3 is not dominated by running songs either  

Am I in a minority of people who run without music? I just love running and don't need anything other than my thoughts.

• Options

Speedy reps there Leslie - looks like it's all clicking nicely into shape.

PMJ - I'm with you on the music. Never run with anything apart from my own random thoughts, although there are invariably patches where I end up with a particular song going round my head. This morning was Wonderwall after singing it last night along with younger Lorenzito who was learning it on the guitar!

Pleasing 8.5 miler this morning which apparently came out at 7:03 pace. Not sure my phone logged the distance 100% correctly, but I'll take it anyway.

• Options

Great weekend of racing had by all. I see Birch is now listed on po10 so all is good. MSE, is that a PB or are your fast times in the US not on po10? Good runs at Salisbury by Abbers and RFJ and I hope G-Dawg comes down from his high sometime and converts that to a great full.

I see runbritain now have a weekly reward (#clickyourclock) for the most improved runner. I just don't get this sort of competition, it does not reward any of the qualities you normally strive for i.e. it rewards those who firstly establish a really low base and then make monumental improvements. The leader has a string of half marathons in the 2:20 / 2:30 mark over 3 or 4 years and now has run 95 for half and 2:29 for 20 miles. That is a massive improvement but is just a statistical oddity. I reckon the reward should g to people who show long term, consistent improvement and maybe crack 90 minutes for the first time after a lot of efforts.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I reckon you can generally get by with 2 sets of running kit on holiday/travelling: take it in the shower with you to wash it after the run and it'll be dry again by the time you need it.  The only thing that can go wrong is trainers soaked in a torrential downpour won't be dry by the next morning.

6M recovery plod this morning (8.32m/m).

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Monster read back and OMG what a weekend of performances! Crikey and it's not even VLM yet!

Abbers - Excellent comeback race and a your patience and hard work was rewarded with a very good time.

Birch - Absolutely delighted for you and that is some time. You deserve it!

GDawg - You smashed it, well done on what is a big improvment. You showed the signs in your training recently and had the confidence going into the race and you delivered. Great stuff!

MsE - Big result, WOW! Sub 3 sounds very achievable off the back of that run. The ladies on here just keep getting better/faster!

RFJ - Great running also and well executed pacing wise. Looking good for you.

SB - Good pacing work there! I love pacing others it's very enjoyable.

PMJ - I have never ever worn headphones when running. I like to tune into my body and I also love nature, makes me feel totally alive.

Re running kit. I am terrible and have loads of the stuff and cannot bear running in one I have already run in. It's nearly topless running weather time here so that solves that issue, well except for the shorts that is.image

Lorenzo - You are in great sahpe at the mo.

Bornagainrunner - Hello! Re your question about Jersey. I live here on this lovely little rock. When where you thinking of visiting?

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Thanks all for the kind comments. Looking back on yesterday's time with quiet contentment now, and it has given me the confidence to push on.

JF2 - that's still a very solid HM performance, running into the wind at the end when you're tired is hard.

BI - guessing you don't have a running shop on your doorstep!

SB - good mara paced pacing duties at Devizes. Did it feel like you could hold that for another 13.1?

VTR - good news on the pain free miles. Hope things continue in the right direction.

Nice starts to the week for Gul, Leslie, Lorenzo & Jools.

Hope the other weekend racers aren't too sore this morning!

The good news continues - I've had confirmation that I've got a contract role starting on Thursday, so 4 months of blissful unemployment has to come to an end! Probably for the best as far as the finances are concerned though... image

• Options

Hi GerardM.  I haven't got a date planned yet, as I want to tie it in with a race! Holidays have to fit in around races you know! Got a trip to the US booked for June, incorporating a trail half of course, then free for a short break to your wonderful Island any time after then. 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Edit pervious post. Speedy! Rubbish news re your injury. Hope it's not as bad as it sounds and as Jools said, you're in great shape, so perhaps all is not lost?

Lit - Nice LR, all seems to be going well then?

Abbers - Congrats and comisserations at the same time!image

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Good news Abbers on your contract.

If your old kit is too smelly, just run faster - surely?

Has anyone tried Addidas Boost? I've always been a bit reluctant because of the tightness of Addidas. I tried some on this morning that seemed good - nice and bouncy in the heels and a lot of cushioning. Any feedback would be welcome.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

PMJ - no, I don't run with music (although music is a faithful companion at home) - I like to be in tune with the environment, whether urban or trails etc - the only exception is rare treadmill jaunts, when headphones are essential  . . . .

abbers - good news job-wise I see . . .
    Leslie - great session there  . . .
    Sandy - disciplined pacing job - well executed . . .
    VTr - steady as she goes, but cautious optimism ? 

decided today good for a rest day - few tasks this am accomplished, now awaiting BT engineer  . . . .

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - great set of reps.
    PMJ - your makeshift tumble-drier has me stumped - how do you use a Gideon's Bible in your design?!
    Lorenzo - very nice pace for your run this morning.
    Jools - good plodding.
    Abbers - congrats on the job - I think!
    Birch - enjoy the well earned rest.
    I never listen to music while running (I don't even own anything portable enough to do so!) - but I do "sing" sometimes when I'm in the middle of nowhere! And I'm ashamed to say, I don't always put my running kit out to wash each day even when I'm at home image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I don't listen to music, but usually have the company of an earworm.  Yesterday's 22 miler was 2.52.42 of the slow movement of the Mendelssohn octet, but it's usually far less classy than that.  This morning was "Eternal Flame".  I'd like to think it was the Bangles and not Jackson 5.

• Options

So pleased for you MsE on getting that fantastic half marathon PB!! Missing last week was probably a blessing in disguise.

Great PB too G-Dawg - Surrey looks the place to be!Brilliant 10 mile time Abbers

Wish I'd known you were at Retford yesterday Birch - I did it too. Well done on your sub 90 time. I see there was a 70+ runner with a 1.23.44 time!

I had a bad day at the office with 1.27.51, 2 minutes slower than last year. I think I was just behind your other team mate, who had a fast finish. I had a bad day at the office with 1.27.51. Started off with a plan to hold back and was going ok @ 6.38 av pace for the first 5 miles, but then there was a turn into the wind down a lane which was into the wind, which although the effort seemed the same the pace dropped a bit. Think my training has been lacking longer reps (1 mile & 2k), so going to introduce them back in now.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

6.5 easy ones done here to ease the legs out a bit after yesterday.

As for music on the run, it depends on mood really. I like listening to audiobooks or live sport on my longer runs, so have a mini DAB radio for the latter. On shorter runs, sometimes music, sometimes not. Can help to get me motivated if I'm feeling sluggish.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

kr - yes, would have been good to meet up - but as I said, was a bit of a last minute decision for me (and so glad I went) . . .
    sorry you had a less than satisfactory day -  and yes, I knew my pal must have finished strongly - I timed myself a minute or so behind him when we were able to see the oncoming runners after the turn, but he finished 1 min 48 secs up on me.

• Options

He went past me in the last mile just after we turned the corner along the main road to go back to the Sports hall

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

BaR - If I may call you that, as your other name is a bit long. There is a link here which has a nice mix of road/trail whacky races that take place this year. Not sure if you have ever heard of this, but Jersey are hosting this year's Island games, so alot of the usual races that would be on have been cancelled or not yet confirmed with the local athletics club Jersey Spartans. It runs between the last week of June and 1st week of July. Yes, I totally agree that holidays should be incorporated with races!image

http://www.hareandtortoiseevents.co.uk/events-calendar/4586222775

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - I was being a bit dense there - it's just an object heavy enough to hold the item of kit down at one end while it's being dried, isn't it? D'oh!

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

KR - 1:27 might not have been what you wanted but still a very good time. Yes, I am truly blessed to be so close to the beach and I don't take it for granted, alot of people do and some folk don't even like the beach. Personally I can't understand that, but hey, were all different.image

• Options

Thanks GerardM, I'll have a look.