Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed for you, GDawg...

Oh, Blisters, proof that 15 year olds do still really need their mums and dads, even if they like to pretend to be grown up.  Fab cake, and I hope it helped!

I think Ant is also on the MT FB page at the moment.

5M recovery last night and going to attempt a club session tonight.  Thursday would be better, as tonight's 2.2K reps are nowhere near the session P&D want (600m reps), but I'm not going to get back to Bristol in time for Thursday's session and I need the company to drag me to faster paces!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Cake can cure anything - fact.

GD, keep it rested. Very conservative comeback at this stage since you just need to get to the start line in one piece. Rub some cake into it. I'd recommend a fruit based cake product for lower limb injuries.

Yes it was Ant. I have confused threadsters mug shots. Doh.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Have read back over a couple of days so the details are hazy, but really nice racing from all this past week! Very impressive stuff (heads melting or not!)image From my position of just coming back it all seems very blazing fast!!

So last week was another step in the right direction. Strung together 9 Tues, 7 Wed, rest Thurs, 10 Friday, 6 Sat, 10 Sunday. Still shaking off the rust a bit and getting the little aches/pains worked out as I return to higher volume, but so far the biggest pain has come from the cold (Sunday it was 8 F with 25 mph wind...math = COLD). Saw a nice downshift in HR the last couple of runs this week so looking like the fitness may be more intact than I first suspected. Rest day Monday and out again later today to see what's what.

GDawg, I would seriously consider taking at least 4 days off before going out again (maybe even the rest of this week). You have massively pushed the past month so you may actually benefit greatly from some total rest. That gives next week to resharpen (won't be a problem at all) and then the final week to coast to the start. You'll make it! And see the Fizz just in case they can help move things along. Seems to work wonders a high percentage of the time for me anyway. Good luck!

Speedy, hang in there. No way to sugar coat it. Stinks to be hurt. Hope you recover quickly!

Leslie, really hoping it's nothing major. A little break in the action hopefully will take care of things (and might be just what the dr ordered for you. Maybe use the time to get extra sleep??!

• SJ - I'm taking that as a compliment!!!
  • Blisters, someone has great cake skills there: your own or proxy?

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Nice bit of lamb rump for me please Blisters.

GD - sounds like cake rollering is the way forward.

9 very nice miles here.  I could have carried on for a lot more but I had restraint for once.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey- great racing and finishing position , then speedy reps image

Blisters- mmmm Nice cake image

G-dawg- hope you are back at it soon.image

VtR- thanks image some rest , and some cnba this morn (first day this year I sacked the alarm and rolled over in bed image) then out tonight for 6 miles and I seem to be going ok at easy pace anyway so that's good progress image

Bike it - nice restrained 9 'er.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Quick read back, so notable mentions for Jools & Wool for their excellent HM times. Very impressive.

RFJ - hope all is OK with your daughter's tests. Some things are more important than running (hard to believe sometimes, I know!).

SJ - job's going well, thanks. Getting used to the commute, but wouldn't fancy it on a permanent basis. Good bike work from you. Beating any Brownlee has to be good.

G-dawg - rest now, no point fitness testing and doing more damage. Make sure you reach the start line!

Blisters - cracking cake skills!

Sorry to those I haven't name checked. Keep on keeping on! 15 here on Sunday morning brought up another 40+ mile week, aiming to do something similar again this week.

• Thanks regarding the cake. That one had a certain degree of WOW factor, but the majority of the effort was the inspiration. Once I knew what I was doing, the rest was just perspiration.

My next 2 designs are:
    - a concrete mixer truck (must get the corporate colours right)

and

- the Fjords and glaciers of Norway.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

7 miles in the Paris suburbs today, hoping to be up in 6 hours for the same again...

could fancy some cake image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - good double session. Hope the interview went well. I was just delivering a few cards.
    Blisters - lovely cake. A fjord and glacier cake is pure genius!
    GD - oh no!!! Take care. If in doubt, rest it a bit more.
    Jools - hope it was a good club session.
    VTr - sounds like things are on the up!
    Bike It - good restraint.
    Abbers - consistent running.
    OO - amuse-toi.
    5 miles with 8 x 200m this morning. First time in ages that I've done reps in the park and I must have got the tree markers mixed up, because the reps on the 2nd 200m stretch were consistently slower than the 1st! Take these with a large pinch of salt: 0:36, 0:38, 0:35, 0:37, 0:35, 0:38, 0:36, 0:37.

• Wow Blisters - mightily impressive. How about a special thread one for consumption at Chandos at the end of April?

OO52 - Paris in the spring sounds very pleasant. 

9 hilly miles for me this morning. On my way to Glasgow this evening so hoping to find an interesting route for running tomorrow morning.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Gul: there's not a huge difference between fastest (35s) and slowest (38s) - could just be fat fingers!  Impressive to even attempt 200m reps at that time of day...

3 x ~2.1km last night (well, I got them as about 1.35M).  Started a bit sluggishly (8.45) but then improved on the second (8.35) and the third (8.25).  Wonder what I could have managed on a 4thimage

Enjoy Glasgow, Lorenzo.  The river Kelvin or the canal are good for running if you're in the city centre, and should just about be light enough at this time of year unless you are out at Gul o'clock.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

GD - sure just a minor alarm - but fingers x'd !
    VTr - coming back nicely
    Jools, Gul - good reps  . .

reps in the park for me too - 2 x 800m, 3 x 1 mile, 2 x 800m (I don't time mine, though) - 3 miles there & 3 miles back for an 11 miler all told.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good running sessions by Birch, Joolska, Lorenzo, Gul, OO, Abbers, Bike It, VTrunner, Blisters, SJ, GM and KR

Sorry to read about your injury problems GD, LH and CC2

Great race performances by SJ, Wool (despite decap), RFJ, JF2, Jools, Bike It, PMJ and LH

I’m currently half way through my final block of hard training before I taper for VLM. After a rest day on the 14th March I’ve run the following mileage -18 (including 1:23HM), 10.6, 15, 22, 10, 6, 15.5 including HM in 1:21, 10.5, 9, 10 & 5.5 double including intervals and 13.5 this morning. I’ve another 5 after work today and then the following before a rest day and taper – 10, 6, HM race, 18, 8, 10, 10&5 double including intervals, 13.5&5 double, 8, 23, 8 and relax!

This is based on a P&D 12 week schedule. The 1:21 HM on Saturday was in Larne and including a final 5k of about 18:20 which is faster than I’ve run a Parkrun in over a year. Yep, I’m coming into some good form after my 3 week lay-off. I'm niggle free, feeling strong and confident about a PB in London.

Edit - Oh and the HM in 1:21:39 was also a PB! image

• Gul - Manchester is 19th April

Slokey - Good pacey running in the bank

Great Parkrun & weekly mileage Leslie

Well done on your Ultra BikeIt, I'd doubt if I could go that far in one go. hope the blisters have eased.

Brilliant time in the Bath half Jools - still a good bit of form! And brilliant time too Wool.

G-Dawg - fingers crossed it is just a niggle and not too serious.

Badbark - that;s a very impressive month of training the bank. Well done on your HM PB.

Been busy the last week, but did a time on feet 23 miler on Sunday @ 7.52 pace to take me up to 67 miles for the week (my biggest weekly mileage). Monday night did 3 x 2 mile reps and last night 6 miles in av 6.40 pace. So I'm hoping my speed endurance is heading in the right direction.

• Good miles there badbark.

I have a 10 mile race on Good Friday so just 3 weeks after the marathon so too soon to do any proper speed work and get benefit from it but long enough that I need to do something other than recover. Seem to have slid into runs round the hour mark at about MP so Monday 8@7:12 and today 10@7:20 so things look OK. Will try a few faster 5ks just to ensure the speed is there.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Liking the speedwork!

Chunky weeks from KR and Badbark too.

Puts my running into perspective a bit. Only hitting the low 30s per week (sometimes low 20s) for the past couple of months (and that's a step up from where I was before) so I'm going to try a little experiment.

If I can get through my long run on Sunday (16miles) without a niggle then I'm going to get my name down for Manchester and give it a crack. Let's see what low running volume plus a shed load of cycling can do to marathon performance.....

I predict that the answer is "slow with lots of pain" but I'm up for it anyway. Thanks for the positive nudges.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Calf muscle feels miles better today. Any niggles with it are in my head rather than being an actual problem as when I don't think about it and just carry on walking etc, no pain at all. Have got the calf guards on to provide compression and have ditched tonight's run.

Stretching, rolling etc. all good this morning and no pain going up/down stairs. image

Have decided to test it tomorrow with an easy mile to the track, 3 miles at MP and then a mile easy back. If that goes well I'll attempt the 13 on Saturday.

Great PB Badbark and an impressive 23 from KR!

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising GD. Take it easy though, there's no rush - you are just ticking over at this stage.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - good to hear you're still clocking up those hilly miles.
    Jools - consistent progression!
    Birch - good session - standing recoveries? Or did you just divide the 2 x 9.344 metres into very small chunks?!
    Badbark - very impressive training - 1 PB in the bag and one more on the way by the look of it.
    KR - looking very strong. Taper starts next week then?
    PMJ - post-marathon training going well.
    SJ - worth a go!
    GD - sounds positive, but don't rush it.
    3 mile recovery run d&d.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Walk recoveries, Gul  . . . . .

10 easy this morn with chum  . .

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark- great running image

G-dawg- sort that head out image

Kr- great week 

Birch- nice 10

Gul-nice early 3

7.5 this morn with 1 at possible mara pace ,Was supposed to be running a half mara this sat but not sure whats happening now.I wasn't going to race it just mara pace it anyway with a pal,option B : could run it at 8min/miles  or option C is sack it (least preferred option !image)

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    1 hr turbo this morning then 7 tonight including 3 at 6:30mm and then 2 at 6:15mm. Solid day
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Evening all,

bit manic here with work, sorting the other Jnr for his apprenicship interviews, so been to bournemouth today, which meant working from home, meaning running..... 10m this morning with 4.25m at MP then 5.38m tonight at a steady knock with some MP towards the end. 15.43m and 2 hours done today

Take care (now off to read back)

• I'm only running 3 times a week. Last one was 11 miles, and completely enjoyable. Not up to thread title pace, but 2015 is seeing a build.
    Today: no run, but an endurance session in the pool. 4km. The furthest I've swum. Ever.

• Blisters - it's all heading in the right direction. Comeback marathon in the autumn perhaps?

Easy run along the banks of the River Kelvin this morning - 5 miles at just over 8 min / mile pace. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Excellent 1/2 M time Badbark- you are going very well.

All got your VLM packs I assume? I'n in Red, fast GFA again.

Decent week here- looking forward to my 100th parkrun then maybe a 22 miler on Sunday- may be a 55 week?

• Green start for me. The "not quite so fast" GFA.

Enjoy no. 100 OO52