Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PMJ- no more miles in me this week,too risky,we shall just call it disappointing,half what I usually aim for,I hope there are no more weeks like that  image

Lorenzo- nice parkrun pace the day before a big race image

Slokey- 4 hrs on the turbo you need a medal !image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - It's impressive to consistently knock out comfortable sub 20's after your long runs.

Leslie - Nicely paced half.

OO  - Excellent run by you and Junior. Great way to celebrate your century!

Sandy - Good luck for tomorrow.

Birch - Great long run and a mahoosive week. Nice to have some company too.

G-Dawg - The break will have done you a world of good. Really positive to be running 12 at MP.

VTR - When does it warm up in your part of the world?

ssc - Good luck for the 21 tomorrow.

Gul - Nice recovery 3 miler.

Lorenzo - Nice parkrun. What was Lorenzito's time? What I really want to know is, what are you cooking this weekend? Mexican for me.image

Still being very cautious this end with my knee issue, so no long stuff, speed or hills. Mainly beach running and nothing quick, so keeping a lid on things for now.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Best be safe Gerard, you can always lift the lid later...

Don't worry Lorenzo I did the same a couple of weeks ago before my 20 miler- as long as you weren't flat out today should be OK tomorrow. Your young one seems a good talent, good experience at their age to beat all the grown ups...   

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

SB - all the best tomorrow at White Horse
    Lorenzo / OO and Jnr good parkrunning
    Hope the calf niggles and virus keep away from those struggling
    Birch - Nice milage keep strong
    Leslie, nice running

Boom for me... 1st sub 20 at Andover Parkrun since 16/11/13 and thats my home parkrun so about 50 efforts there since..... 19:52 for 6th very happy. 11.36m for the day

Cranliegh 21m tomorrow

• GM - he managed 18:49 today although he was a bit disappointed with the time as he's gone sub 18 before.

imageThis weekend's random country for cooking is (believe it or not) North Korea so we're going to give Onban (a chicken and rice soup) a go. 

You're very wise to be taking it easy at the mo.

RFJ - see you at Cranleigh tomorrow. I'll be doing the 15 mile and wearing 992 in either a Dorking and Mole Valley vest or a set of waterproofs depending on the weather. Good parkrun performance from you there.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Thanks and I intend to, no pressure here whatsoever to be doing anything other than being happy, fit and able to run, and if I can get the odd race in, then even more reason to be happy!image

Lorenzo - Your young progeny is fast and driven by the sound of it, great stuff! Like the sound of Onban. Good luck at Cranleigh.

RFJ - Marvellous parkrun result! Good luck tomorrow.

• Some good parkrunning. Is it a good race/training session, or just getting in the way for a decent long run on the Sunday? I've never tried it.

Not much running here. Sorry. Some family stuff, some of the darkside stuff. Managed a 4km swim in the pool Thursday, but Friday was chlorined out as a result. At least I've got that monkey off my back. Bike today was a select group, well windy, and somewhat damp. Only 44 miles (I'd hoped for nearer 60). I suppose it all counts. Tomorrow, more pool time.

If I can achieve mara performance of 3:20 I'd be ecstatic. I'm not looking likely for that unless I extract the digit.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hope things pick up Blisters

16 this morning, progressive with the last 4 at MP. Glad to finish. That takes my Jantastic score to 100% - wahoo!!!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

RFJ- sounds like you worked hard for that sub 20 parkrun well done image

Lorenzo JNR-a  sub 19 parkrun is still faster than most on here are ever likely to beimage

Gerard- time to get the lid of a can of whipass in a race image

Blisters-a hard parkrun makes sunday's long run hurt all the more if you like that sort of thing !

Slokey-racking up the hard miles these days image

6 easy for me to start the week ..

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good (inadvertently) paced parkrun, Lorenzo, and fine effort from junior  . . .
    Great parkrun from RFJ noted  . . .

Nicely executed half mara, Leslie -

6 miles easy here to end my week  . .

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    1mi steady; 12mi goal pace today. Had been meaning to do a 22m longest run but I've had a cold and didn't want to go risk it coming back. Useful to confirm heart rate v pacd but I need to work a long run or two in before the taper.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark-nice half mara time image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

23 here, nice and slow. Unfortunately I took a roll with a few cuts and smashed the face on my new garmin. Very embarassed image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice 23 OO
    Monkey - Wise move

Lorenzo - sorry missed you saw many of you club runners in the Dorking vests though, I was using most of them as pacers to allow me to pick off runners....

Race report copied from my blog for a change, a mixed bag for me, but overall a good day out for 21m.

So Cranleigh 21m and this was the race 4 weeks out from London to see where I am at, the basic aim was steady 7:45s and 6m of MP during the race.....

So with distinct lack of sleep not aided by losing an hour it was up at 0630, breakfast (porrige with fruit mix and pack of go ahead biscuts) and in the car and off. 75 mins later pull up in car park and do all the usual faffing and toilet runs etc. No warm up today, just mid pack and ease in for the 9am start.

1m - 7:54 too farr back in the mid pack and hard work to get through
    2m - 7:40 nice figure and feel good
    3m - 7:41 Ditto
    4m - 7:37 A tad faster as start to draw back in the fast starters alreading fading
    5m - 7:41 Consistancey is good
    6m - 7:37 1st gel used (slight detour to drop discarded waste in bin) at 5.25m
    7m - 7:39 Back to a nice pace, not really running with anyone more picking runners off
    8m - 7:43 Maintaining pace and feeling good
    9m - 7:32 Nice down hill towards the town and end of the first loop (not planned to get this close to MP at this stage....)
    10m - 7:39 2nd gel taken at 10.5mBack into the town and end of 1 loop some issues with marashlling here as marshall was concertrating on car movements not on runners and where they needed to go, all sorted but nearly got run over in process - not good having a race going through a supermarket carpark at just after 10am in the morning
    11m - 7:46 a wee stop and some wind
    12m - 7:50 strong head wind here and struggling with the slight incline...
    13m - 7:18 Ok first drop to MP, happy as windy
    14m - 7:19 Same as above
    15m - 7:37 balled that up then, not thinking and got caught out by long incline
    16m - 7:43 and start of the second 6 mile lap, more wind (3rd and last gel taken at 15.75m)
    17m - 7:46 Felt dead here and really though the wheels were about to come off, a good talking too and some runners ahead to pick off start to work....
    18m - 7:34 Indeed it did work, working hard now
    19m - 7:43 Another balls up, missed the 18m marker which was the signal to push on, got caught in lazy mode and thinking nearly there with a parkrun to go..... need to work on mental state in races to stay focused.
    20m - 7:33 time to push on and try to get to MP a bit off as legs are now tiring, but working hard.
    21m - 7:33 Hill I know you are there, not making the same mistake twice, work it more and harder then the sprint for the line (via a 180 degree turn with 100m to go......)

Done and dusted 2:40 :50, plan if it had worked fully would have been 2:39:45, so a minute off target.

I will take that along with the nearly 19 min PB, its not often you run 21m races, and last one for me was 2004 and a easy target, but a PB is a PB image

So where am I at? with the issues I had with my hamstring tendon and slightly comprimised training i am a good place, Sub 3:15 at VLM may be a stretch target, but not impossible as I still had something in the legs today and was pretty solid and comfortable for most of it apart from 2 mistakes (did get 2 miles in a full MP and a futher 4 just 5-7 secs over MP) and one downer moment.

Onwards and upwards - Compton 20 on easter saturday awaits, a nice hard off roader, I will be plodding not racing next week.

Take care

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, RFJ.

P&D prescribed 17M today but I had contemplated rounding it up to 20M.  Changed that back to 17M once I discovered how bliddy windy it was out there.  I was using a 1.25M loop (to ensure I was never running into a head or cross wind for too long - ha!) and twice on each loop I was brought to a standstill.  How I longed for a tall, broad training partner as a windbreak...  17M at a plodtastic 8.37m/m.  Felt aerobically easy but my tired legs didn't have the strength to battle the weather today!

• RFJ - was looking out for you at the start but couldn't see you. Sounds as though you had a good run with steady pacing, and a similar experience to me in a. getting trapped in the traffic at the start and b. nearly getting run over, in my case by a big black Range Rover who clearly felt that runners had no right to cross the road. 19 mins is a massive PB so a big well done.

As for my race report:

I only live 30 mins away so it wasn't so difficult to get there in decent time. The aim was to run to feel - no watch, no Garmin and to aim for 7:15 pace (MP) for the 15 miles - I had thought about the 21 mile (i.e. an extra 6 mile lap) version but for various reasons decided against it.

A bit congested for the first mile or so so probably lost a little time weaving in and out, but soon settled into a rhythm - the first few miles were slightly uphill so I made sure I didn't waste too much effort.

I caught sight of a fellow Dorking runner (who told me his marathon PB is an agonising 3:00:01!!) around 5 miles and gradually caught up with him and found out that we were doing around 7 min / miles so yet again my ability to judge pace by feel wasn't working! That said, I felt good and we ran on together, joined by another runner to make a sociable bunch of 3. 

At 9 miles there were a number of Dorking marshals whose encouragement gave me a second wind and I pulled away as we went off road for a bit. I suspect that the pace fluctuated a little bit depending on the terrain of the course, but I still felt comfortable up to 13 miles when it felt as though it was time to push a bit harder.

After a climb up to about 14.5 miles, it was a pleasant run down to the finish (via the 180 degree turn mentioned by RFJ) and came over the line with about 1:44:20 on the clock which equates to 6:57 pace so surprised and rather pleased with that, together with a top 10 (9th) finish in the 15 mile race.

Rather more curiously, the results on the screen in the refreshments area had my time down as 1:41:20 but I'm pretty sure that that's not correct so have notified the organisers accordingly.

Time for a quick massage (a mere £5 for 10 minutes) then back out onto the course to see Mrs L come in 4 mins quicker than she'd done last year so happy days all round.

Not sure what this means in terms of London - I'm determined to run it without a watch, enjoy it and see how things turn out, but I'd be pretty disappointed if I didn't end up with a sub 3:15.

Back to Comrades training for the next couple of weeks, then an off-road 10K (one of the Club Grand Prix races) the weekend before London.

• Excellent work and report RFJ, you certainly clocked up the miles again this weekend.

The White Horse HM was good. The race is part of the Oxfordshire road race league, so a decent mix of runners. The weather was wet and very windy at the start.

The first 5 miles we had the wind either behind us or from the side, so it passed quite quickly (33.40). It was obvious we were going to be battling into the wind at some stage and so it arrived at just over 6 miles.

I was in a group of 5 or 6 and it felt to me like a sub 90 train, although there was no conversation to confirm. About 3 of us took turns leading the group, which provided some relief from the wind. The wind finally abated after 9 or so miles.

10 miles passed in 68.30, so slower, but not fatally slow. The last 3 were hard work and I was happy to finish in 89.30. My calf wasn't 100% and I felt the disruption to training over the last 2 weeks in my legs, but overall happy with my time.
  • PS. Horizontal rain just after I finished - some legendary marshalls out there!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice plodding Jools

Lorenzo - sounds like a good outing, well done to you and Mrs L

Sandy B, good effort considering your calf issues and the weather, well done

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Good result SB and coming back by sounds of it.

Lorenzo, great time on what sounds like a tough course. VLM will be a good day for you I think.

Well done RFJ. Building well!

OO, hope there was no other damage. 23 is an impressively long one.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

RFJ-impressive report and pb well done image

Jools-nice 17'er

Lorenzo-looking promising for London

SB- nice to go sub 90 for a half image

0052- these things happenimage as long as you got away with only a few minor dents you have done ok.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

21 miles for me today in tough conditions, at least two hours of wind and rain. Aimed for MP every third mile.  These splits came out as 7.32, 7.28, 7.34, 7.43, 7.44, 7.30, 7.28. These are good for a planned 3:15 marathon but the miles in between were slower than hoped for, between 8.20 and 8.40, and felt tough.  So, my question is what today tells me, am I in shape for attempting a 3:15 target time or not?  Lots of marathon madness going on in my head!! Thanks for any thoughts.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Yes ssc, yes you are.
  • sscssc ✭✭✭

Thanks Slokey nothing worse than having loads of doubts and questions about pacing and targets close to a marathon. Having blown up spectacularly in my last one am keen to avoid it again!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

RFJ and Lorenzo- great racing guys, lots of positives for both of you. SB that's not bad for the conditions and your recent niggles.

SSC, I'd say you have to go for 3:15 but still plenty more time to ponder go mad.

Jools that pace is still better than mine today. Sounds like I did well to get out early and miss the worst of the weather. 

• ssc - 3:15 is a possibility, but I'd suggest trying to do something similar in more favourable conditions to give yourself the confidence of consistently doing 7:20ish miles. I can't remember, but are you doing London?

Talking of which, has anyone got an up-to-date race list?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Ssc, rough conditions and no taper is always going to be tough. The constantly changing pace doesn't help much either. Get well tapered, fuelled up and allow yourself to be swept along by a 3:15 group and you'll feel much better. The key to marathon success (on top of quality training) is to believe it is possible without getting greedy.

Stop doubting, trust the training that you've done, get to the start line feeling good and then nail it.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I'm supposed to be looking after the race list but my work pc no longer works properly on explorer (!?) and other than that I am on a phone. Fail.
  • sscssc ✭✭✭

Lorenzo am doing Manchester. Missed some weeks through injury but getting stronger, have planned another long run next week, 2 weeks from the race, with a section of race pace eg 20 miles with 7@MP. Figure a mini taper will be ok, only tend to taper for 2 weeks anyway.

• ssc - don't see any reason 3:15 wouldn't be on and I would echo SJ, nothing to be gained by doing a hard run two weeks from the race

20 for me today with the last 8 at 7:53, 72 for the week.  Start my 3 week taper for Manchester.