Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Jools & PMJ, great efforts from both of you- I'm surprised seeing PMJ in the distance wasn't enought to overcome your hesitation Jools image

Badbark- that is shocking news. I only hope you can recover enough quickly to get training again.

Another solid week here but a few creeking joints. Parkrun tomorrow then Junior has a 10K on Sunday which I'm excited about but only as a spectator.   

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, getting more mental by the day.

Birch, hard as nails!!

Enjoy the beer GD.

Well done on tasty 10mile racing Jools and PMJ.

Take it easy OO.

Speedy laps of a park this afternoon in the warm sunshine. Can't wait for summer!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Badbark, how are you feeling today?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

RFJ - good work down at the track.
    Lorenzo - I guess it's natural to get nervous about such a legendary event - but your training has been excellent and I'm sure you will be as prepared as you possibly could be. Well done on bagging the 30+ miler!
    Birch - awesome campaign - hope you can settle on a target pace and enjoy the occasion. Nice shoe stats.
    Jools - good effort on the day.
    SJ - I'm sure the plunge pool must have done you some good.
    Leslie - hope you enjoyed the easy run.
    PMJ - great racing - shame about the latter part of the course.
    GD - more nice stats. Should be on for a good time in Brighton.
    Rest day yesterday and 9 miles this morning, including 5 miles @ 6:57m/m.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Fitness coming back now that I've had three solid weeks of running, 15 on Weds all under 8 min pace and 8 last night with 5 at HMP.  Splits were 6.40 6.40 6.36 6.36 6.25.  Pleased with the consistency and good to be doing sessions that would have been tough even before I missed training through injury.  

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18:15 at the parkrun and a podium 2nd. A nice sprint finish too for an eyeballs out finish.

Good to see you coming back ssc.

• Is it the North Tyneside 10k you're spectating at OO? I'm running it, but at LSR pace with another injured friend. Goal A - don't break. I haven't run further than 5 miles in a long time. On 7th March I had to stop at five and walk the next 3 miles home. Since then there was a treadmill 5 that felt niggly. A near three week gap. A treadmill 3 that felt like bleeding hard work, 4 miles in the rain yesterday and Gibside hilly parkrun today with no extra mileage added on. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great Speedy I shall look out for you, I'm sure you'll run sensibly. There is a serious hill at 1.5 miles, off the fish quay then flat racing after that. Look out for junior in the red vest she is after a PB sub 40. I'll be near the finish at the lighthouse.

• I won't see her OO, we're going for 48 mins! I've done it many times before, it's just that I usually run it as the last 6 miles of a long run and do it at marathon pace. 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

PMJ and Jools good running on the 10m race well done

G-Dawg - Nice 10m effort

SSC - coming together

OO - Nice parkrunning

Sub 3 of a different sort today and exactly what I wanted.... shame it was only 20.15m. Compton Downland Challange 20/40, I went for the baby option of 20...... a very hilly (1600 feet assent) off road race in dry but muddy and slippery conditions, got a course best by over 9 minutes and first time of going under 3 hours there, average pace was 8:51, at half way this was 8:20, and no I didnt bank its just the second half is much hillier that the first half. That was the last big long run done.....

Take care

• 19:59.8 today at parkrun but as the aim was to pace 20 minutes I am happy with that. Biggest problem with pacing is the GPS, so it isn't too hard to run to 4 minutes per km and if you are a bit fast or slow early on you can adjust, but if you get any GPS drift it throws you off. Luckily today the GPS was pretty much spot on so I hit 5km on the GPS in 19:58 and 20:00 at the finish line.

Best bit was one guy who was trying to beat 20 and followed me for most of the way came in at 20:02 for a 2 second PB and he has run 137 parkruns. We will try again next month for a sub-20.

• 11miles for me today including my first parkrun.  Target pace was 6:20 and although I started too far back I managed 19:35 so happy enough.  23rd overall and 1st in my age group although only 2nd 50+ runner.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Forgive me if it's been a rapid skim back after several months away from here; but good to see old friends still churning out good training & races, and hallo to new posters. I have no doubt that there will be some excellent spring mara performances to report.

I came a rather bloody cropper on sheet ice on NYE, 16m into the 9th mara/ultra of an otherwise injury-free 2014. It turned out to be damage to the cruciate ligament, popliteus and various other bits of the left leg.  Not something I'd recommend and mobility has been somewhat restricted. Anyway, today saw the first long run of 2015 (5k Parkrun!) so hopefully it's the start of a comeback.  If anyone knows a training plan which goes from 5k to VLM in 3 weeks, then to Comrades 90k 5 weeks later, I'm all ears.

Lots of other stuff going on, 3 part time jobs not even on the same continent proved unsustainable so after 25 yrs I've left the Corporation and gone fully freelance. Gulp! Been working in some very odd places, last week there was a guy wandering round the market carrying a sword but he said he was a shepherd who merely wanted to protect his goats from danger. I hope he succeeds.

Anyway, more to the point: Bike It and Lorenzo: how are your Comrades preparations going? I'm going to travel to SA anyway and aim to run although bets are off right now. See you there I hope.

• Poacher - good to hear from you. Hope the new venture goes well. All going OK for Comrades so far.

Excellent performance from OO this morning

"Recovery" parkrun for me this morning - took it easy for the first couple of laps then picked up the pace to finish in 20:30 ish.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

/members/images/539963/Gallery/Chicken_Pox_back_(2).jpg

This is just a quick post to let you know about my Chicken Pox situation as a few have asked. Despite the infection and against Doctors advice I've carried on with my training regardless. I've managed my third consecutive 90+ mile week and now start to taper with a well earned rest day tomorrow. I completed a tough 23 miles yesterday not feeling great but was able to increase the pace to MP for the final mile. Enjoy the pic! image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Easter greetings, all -

more good quality from OO - pea-shelling, now image 
    perfect pacing, Philip
    excellent work, RFJ (not too "babyish", I'd say)image
    welcome back, Poacher - tough luck with the tumble, good wishes for the solo career (will you still be at VLM)?
    Badbark - not such a "welcome back" - pic quite put me off my hot X bun !  Top effort with the 23, though  . . .

2nd consecutive 70 mile week completed here with y'day's 10 easy & this morn's 8 inc some "relaxed tempo". 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Glad I'd finished my porridge with blueberries and cranberries in it before I saw that picture, Badbark.  Take it easy and hope you are better soon.

Nice training, Birch.

Impressed at the parkrun the day after Maidenhead, PMJ.  I settled for an 11 mile bimble along the canal at Reading, with half an eye out for Devizes-Westminster canoeists.

Legs were a bit creaky this morning, as Friday's race plus warm up/cool down came to a bit over 16 and then I'd done the 11 yesterday.  Still, nothing flushes out creakiness better than 21M with a few decent hills thrown in, so that was my solution this morning.  2.52.41 for the run and now the taper can begin.  Been ready to taper for several weeks now...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Junior OO was third lady at NT10k today, her first senior podium. 37:15, a time I would have been happy with and a pb by 3 minutes. Sorry Speedy I didn't see you.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

OO - glad I checked in before heading out to dine - great effort by your young 'un there - many congrats  . . .

• Eeek, Badbark, that is NOT pretty! 

Poacher, I did wonder what has become of you. I've been carding zeros for weeks too, but have ditched the marathon. 

Today's long run was all of 10k, the aforementioned NT 10k. I ran with an injured friend and we started way too far back even for a gentle jog so spent the entire run trying to get around slower runners. We clocked 48.51, which I think is my third slowest 10k of all time. Even fully fit and in race mode I doubt I've have troubled Junior OO. That''s an awesome time!

• sscssc ✭✭✭

22 Miles today aimed to run first half at MP plus 20% and second half MP plus 10%, around 8 min pace.  Came in somewhere about right, Av pace was 8:15. Really pleased to feel strong throughout and whilst tired was far from struggling, best run of the whole training plan, Last few miles as follows:

Mile 19  7.44

Mile 20 7.31

Mile 21 8.30 lots of road crossings etc

Mile 22 7.18

Never been able to finish at faster than MP before so a real confidence boost.

Some easier running from now on in the next two weeks before Manchester.   

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Wow, I don't ever want to race JuniorOO.  It would need a pb to beat her!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark- nice pic image

Poacher- that's a steep ramp up to comrades image

cc2- your back !image

on the back theme mine was a bit sore yesterday and I struggled to get out of bed so my planned tempo was sacked  and had some cnba today with more to follow tomorrow  !image  

41m for the week ! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Lets hope she grows up a fine distance runner like you ladies!

• ssc, solid miles, strong finish.

• sscssc ✭✭✭
    Badbark wrote (see)

If you haven’t heard it yet I would strongly advise everyone to listen to the Mark Hines interview on episode 80 of Talk Ultra. It’s without doubt the best nutritional advice I’ve ever heard. I’ve just ordered his books.

Listened to the episode today, really liked it and certainly helped today's 22 miler, thanks for the recommendation.

• Well done on the Parkrun JF2

Spot on training Badbark!

Great result for junior OO

Solid mileage & pace ssc

16 miles yesterday with at MP (some slower, some faster). Taper madness & doubts creeping in!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Taper madness? My body has completely forgotten how to run and I feel like I've never trained before.

Fortunately I know this is normal but it still feels weird.

6 days to go...

GD
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

More good parkrunning, well done JF2

Badbark bad pic - nice trg

Well done to Jnr OO, great result

Nice 16 KR

Leslie nice milage too

SSC nice riunning esp at the end.

Results are out from Saturdays 20m race, I came 27th, a bit of a shock being that far up.... image suffering with a bit of DOMS today after all the decents plus the 13.25 in two runs yesterday as well, 53.9m for the week (last big one done).

Have a great day all

• Edited post as I seemed to have re-submitted a post from a few days ago!!

Back home now after an excellent Easter weekend on the Gower peninsula - sunshine for most of the time which meant that the couple of runs along Welsh Coastal Path were very pleasant indeed.

Hope everyone else has had a good break and resisted that second Easter Egg!