RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

JF2 amazing running, well done image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    1 mile Birch! It still counts...image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Missed JF2 - well done!

SJ - where exactly does your hip hurt? My ongoing hip problems have been narrowed down to a facet joint issue. If it could be similar I've discovered something that really works for me: I lie over my foam roller, on my front, with my pelvis over the roller. I simply lie like this for 5-10 mins, play a bit of soda crush or read a book, resting on my forearms and raising up on my hands now and again. It makes a huge difference and takes pain away.
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I'll give that a go Minni, thanks. I get pain (aching) in buttock and mostly down my thigh, sometimes right in the joint itself if it is a sharp pain. It's the joint itself rather than anything nearby but a combination of regular running and squats and lunges every day have helped a lot this year.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I get it in the buttock too and sometimes it feels like muscle and other times bone, sometimes crampy and other times sharper. This really helps me. I think it opens the area up and let's things settle back in the correct place. I also find that if it tightens when running a few pelvic tilts help. But, I seem to be unable to do them while running without also thrusting my chin forward! Not a good look. Hope it's never captured on a race photo.

MsE - have you followed P&D?
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Well done to the Manchester crew. Quite outstanding results. Enjoy
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

SJ , JF2, KR- you must have all been running side by side , great results all round image sub 3's all round next year image

RFJ-nice parkrun image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Do your feet touch the floor when you are on the roller Minni (not meant to be a joke about your diminutive stature) or do you hold them out? Whereabouts on your pelvis do you rest your weight?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hang on I need to lie on it to check...
  • Options

Great running SJ and KR and JF2

Celebrate your PBs with pride fellas

enjoyed the run (until mike 24) and great course and conditions albeit very crowded early on

I chugged out 3.02 which I guess wasn't bad considering I totally lost 2 or 3 weeks of training a month ago on antibiotics for my man flu. Had hoped I could rely on a good block of training prior to that and just ignore it but lost about 3 or 4 mins in two very ugly last miles - just goes to show the marathon will find you out. 4 weeks ago I'd thought I would have hopefully been on for PB myself today but onward and upward And bring on Loch Ness in October - think I prefer the smaller races!

we must have all been within yards of each other !! Spooky 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ok so my knees and feet are on the floor and the roller is resting on my hip bones. I kind of start on my pubic bone then roll it forwards slightly until the hip bones (ilium) stop it and that's the position. It's actually really comfy. Then when you get up everything looser and free.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - well done off minimal miles. I can do ok at 10M and 1/2 off multisporting but marathons need miles, you did well consdiering your miles. the quad pain sounds familiar.

Fraser - sounds like you got a good return there too, well done.

KR - I was despearte to see you sub3, you have put in training runs and paces that I'm not sure I could. Calf cramps from 16M is sad to see (same as the Asics sub 3 guy ?). You know where I am if you want a change of approach next time.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Great, thanks Minni.

Well done Fraser - seems like we had a near identical race! Did you see that guy go down really hard in the 3hr pace group?
  • Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Report to follow but really pleased with 3:15:56 at Manchester today.  Almost identical to GDs experience last week, I just couldn't push it at the end like he did!

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well, no one was sh*t today! Was really pleasing to read all the success stories!imageimage Well done fellas. Such a good night's sleep in store as a reward. And remember, the impending DOMS is a well earned reminder of your success!image

BTW, sub3:05 guys, you're my heroes as that's my next goal.

Last 3 weeks have been 42, 47, and 52 miles. Importantly, HR has returned to good levels, aches/pains much improved, and today's 15 miler felt effortless w/ Ave HR of 69% of max (and no niggle or pain). Loving the view at present!

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Nice one VTr

ssc, excellent time, frustratingly close though! How are the legs?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Well done ssc!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Fantastic time especially off interrupted training Fraser. Sub 3 should come easily in autumn surely?

sac - really well done on your 3:15! My second marathon was 3:15:xx and I remember realising that those seconds over 3:15 really didn't make it any less of an achievement than a sub-3:15. 

Good old to see the comeback continuing VTr image

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

SJ close, not quite but still really pleased, the missed month due to injury just caught up with me at end was hanging on from mile 23, had to walk at 25 as was really lightheaded.  Couldn't have given any more and it shows that P&D works so next time I hope for a full, injury free plan and another PB.  As I'm close, can I have an honoury membership to the forum? image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Some inspiring runs today, well done threadsters. Looking forward to full race reports....

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

MsE - sac sounds cooler than ssc image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    You're already well in ssc. This is an "in spirit" forum. Not an absolute time forum. I will fight anyone who says otherwise! image
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

SSC, you're in of course! Well run and sounds like you gave it everything. Very satisfying result. Can't do more than that.

SJ, As someone who never cross trains but seems to cap out about 60 mpw, am watching what you do and thinking I should consider xtraining as I train for my next marathon. I only run 5 days per week cause feel I'll get hurt on more. But could bike or do something else on the 6th (or even 7th day). Might be tough to find the time but wheels are (metaphorically) spinning...

• Options

It would have been beautiful and mildy romantic if we'd all run round together holding hands and skipping over the finish line together. Trouble is you can't always see peoples numbers when you are running.

Great time Fraser & JF2 - a great weekend for the thread for resultsimage

Got to the start with about 30 seconds to spare after a last minute pee in the bushes. Had to climb over the barrier to get to my pen (which was not policed) so was probably at the back of the Start A area and a bit congested too. Was ok with this as I wanted a more sedate first mile which then came in at 7.03. Next 10 miles went by quite quickly averaging 6.55/6.56 pace which felt comfortable and was with a group of runners going at a similar pace. Tried not to look at my watch much and felt I was gauging my pace well. Got to halfway in just over 1.30 and felt fine and still in control and the miles were still ticking off sub 7 minute mile pace which was a bit slower than I'd hoped for by then. When I got to mile 15 I could start to feel a few twitches in my calves. I had the same thing last year which I ignored only to have it comeback and haunt me for the last horrible 8 miles.

I took the decision to ease off the pace for a few miles down to 7.10 - 7.15 pace in the hope it would settle. Luckily it did to the point I felt I could keep going and hold that pace, hoping I could push on later. As I got to 20 miles I could still feel the calf muscles twitching, not knowing if they would suddenly spasm like they'd done before. So the next few miles were a bit tentative. As I got to mile 24 I decided it was sh1t or bust time and if they were going to go they would have by then. It was a tough last few miles digging deep and I was glad to have made it without stopping. But felt frustrated at the same time as I felt I had been holding back due to the calf twinges, but knew at the end it had been the right thing to do. I had the most excruciating massage afterwards by 2 blokes at the same time, my calves where all over the place and so knotted. A few swear words were muffled into the towel as I lay face downimage

Pleased to have got a PB (at the age of 46), but disappointed not to get sub 3. Made we wonder about what I can do to rectify this on the way home. This time round I"d been averaging 60+ miles and done 7 x 20 milers, so I knew I'd got the endurance runs in. Maybe I need to do some leg strength work in the gym (don't do any gym work) and more core work? Maybe I need the change of approach as TR suggest, as I've used training up to now that might not be at the right paces. Thanks for the offer TR - I may well take you up on that!

Still waiting for the official results to come up, but Garmin time of 3.03.48. First 15 miles @ 6.56 av pace, last 11 miles @ 7.14 av pace.

Looking forward to hearing about VLM next weekend, let's hope we get a good few PB's too!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Don't know what you can do about those calves KR- I suppose at least you know your weakness and can focus on that. It's a great time but I know well the pain of a near miss, and the massage image. It sounds like the rest of you held out well which is agood sign for next time.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Wow, some great racing yesterday and impressive times. Well done to KR, SJ, JF2, Frazer and ssc. I can feel your pain though KR - must be so frustrating. I am sure you will get that sub 3 one day soon.
    11 miles with 3 x 2 mile efforts this morning in 13:02 (6:39/6:23), 12:55 (6:29, 6:26) and 12:59 (6:32/6:27). Very pleased with that.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Fraz – That’s a great performance considering your illness, well done. You’ll smash it in Loch Ness!

Scc – Well done one your 3:15! I look forward to the report.

KR- Great report and sorry to read about your calf issues. I was running 3:10 to 3:18 in marathons off 50 - 60 miles a week with plenty of 20+ milers. It wasn’t until I started running over 90 miles regularly before I was able to break 3 hours. All the extra miles were done at a slow pace. I ran a PB (2:56) by 13 minutes in London 2 years ago by doing nothing different apart from the extra easy pace mileage. We are all different so what worked for me might not work for everyone but it’s something worth considering.  High mileage will harden you but just make sure to build up to it gradually.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Stunning stuff from the weekend marathoners; take a bow SJ, KR, JF2, ssc and Frazer (even though you didn't get quite what you wanted, that's still a very impressive time). Some really enviable times being posted, and sets the barrier high!

ssc - think the thread is for those with ambitions of 3:15 rather than having necessarily achieved it; it had better be anyway, or I'm in completely the wrong place! image

RFJ - so what's the pacing strategy now then? Aim for halfway in 1:40 and see how you're going?

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Nice intervals Gul. You have every right to be pleased with that!

KR - such a difficult one to know really.  You have run enough marathons to suspect the cause and perhaps TR has a point and switching the approach may help?  Didn't you also run a speedy park run the day before?  Do you think it might have been a little too fast for the day prior to the marathon? I know when I do speedy running my calves get all tied up and it takes days to unknot them, and usually only with outsourced manual assistance!  

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Knight Rider,

Adapting your plan on the fly when your calves were complaining like that sounds like superb running to me. Most others would've lacked the nous to do that, pushed on in denial and crashed horribly.

If 3:03 was 'all' that was on offer today you realised it instead of crashing. Good on you.

I'm sure your sub 3 will come soon enough. In the meantime congrats on the PB.