Sub 3h15

Comments

• Just read back and some fantastic times, we'll done everybody.  I Was pretty pleased with my time at Manchester but sub 3 - wow brilliant and sub 2:50 is fantastic.

Seems like a great day, hopefully I'll join you next year.  (Although my wife seems to think Boston is a better Idea)

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

MsE…incredible run on a busted wheel (or on 2 good wheels for that matter!). You are positively FAST and so well paced! Think I need to find a running coach…

Birch, well run! I still want whatever you’re putting in your water. Very proper way to close things out.

Poacher, you get the S&M award. Lots of guts to run no matter what.

Leslie, really nice run. You must be happy with that as you start looking at your marathon.

Nayan, really happy for you. Don’t worry about the few seconds. You bagged 3:15 and well deserved. Next year sub3:15 on deck. And I agree, probably best to run your own race. But now you know for next time.

Badbark, you nailed it as we all expected. Hope your wonderful run continues.

Jools, you must be bionic!

OO, never any doubt that you’d come in…glad it went so well and that the pain was well justified.

Lorenzo, quality run and yes, sub3 on the horizon.

GE, you get the ironman award. Well done fighting through the cramps. Inspirational stuff. SB, you get second place on this category. Tough running! And now I see Brixtonrunner…perhaps you get a share of the loot here too?! Good job going sub3:15 on a hard day.

Glad your race went to plan RFJ.

TAR, you are a decidedly unique person. Enjoyed the report. Well done on your modified 5 wk plan!image

Lit, interesting pacing discussion and awesome result! Personally, I’ve run a negative split in each of my races…on days when I went out cautious and when very ambitious. Interestingly PMJ, each race has felt different. My last one I glided over the road pretty much the whole way. Other times felt I was working as early as 10 miles. Figure I’ll never be able to predict.

RaseJace…simply superhuman!

Moof, more on the plan please.

Clifton’s rule. Just do it!imageimage

Marrows, nice to hear you are back at it. Having just done similar, I can tell you the time off was very good for me. It takes little patience, but with your base it will come back quickly.

JF2, go for Boston and I’ll buy you a beer at the finish!

Folks, simply incredible what you’ve all done the past two weeks. I’m both inspired and humbled.

As for me, coming off a cutback week did my first subLT effort and was rewarded with 6 miles at 6:58 pace bookended into 11 total. That’s not too far off where I was before injury pace-wise. Still much work to do (really just beginning) and was certainly tired from that effort but a good start to things.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Ok so heres my report, not quite a 3:15 but is still my 4th fastest marathon out of 20 odd....

So Sunday marathon, packs Mrs RFJ off to the station from hotel to meet friends who are delayed by a suicide on the railway.... not nice.... I make my way over to Cannon St and maze Hill and up the hill of death to the start area.... greeted with the news that the baggage trucks will be leaving in 10 mins... its not even 0930 yet.... panic on, but get sorted and bag dropped. And in to green pen 2 to prepare and ready where I meet a few club mates and comment on all the world record attempters, boxers, cowboys, cricketers, ostriches etc etc.....

A few weeks before I was having a few confidence issues regarding pace and time as was really struggling to hit MP, so after taking some welcome advice I re-adjusted my time from a PB attempt to something between 3:15 and 3:300 and as I like round figures the middle sounded good and that comes out as 3:22:30 and also the pace that I did Cranliegh 21 in 5 weeks ago......

So how did it go.... here are my 5k splits which I manually lapped as I went

5k - 22:55 a tad fast but was running with LMH from the Runners world DTT
    10k - 23:10 as above but nice an comfy
    15k - 23:15 what is all the fuss about this pace is nice - but actually still a tad too fast for what I planned by a good 10 secs a mile....
    20K - 24:27 A slow one.... well I had to sit down and do a "Paula" at 10m in the porta loo I was stationary for about 1:30

I went though half way in 1:38:59 and was feeling very much in control and very content with my pace

25k - 23:53 since the loo stop the pace dropped, but enjoying the pace and atmosphere was just great
    30k - 24:35 cannot say why the pace really dropped here as felt strong and good
    35k - 24:31 consistancy as per the last 5k and still comfortably sub 8mm (i have ever only done 1 marathon with all 26.2m under 8mm can I make this the second and that was my 1st 3:15 back in 2009, as when I did it again I was faster but had 2 bad miles...over 8mm)
    40k - 24:48 not going to complain at this pace .... onwards and upwards to the finish
    2.XXk 10:36..... and picking up a club mate on the final 400m to drag him in... pass 369 in the last 7.2km and get passed by 49, i'll take that....

3:22:12 bang on, so happy for a great ran marthon on my part... I say that as have a nasty history of poor conversion, just over 3 mins and I am happy with that. not only that I could walk and talk afterwards without being ill.

• MsE, I've done 6 marathons, 3 good, 3 not so good. 2014 was the best experience, a 14 minute pb and finishing strongly. I don't enjoy marathons, but the sense of achievement is hard to beat. The photos of me this year make me look very concentrated. Big respect for your time.

Good level splits GD, you must of been passing a lot of people nr the end
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Granola - nice progression with your marathon times and good conversion from the shorter distances. You ought to be giving me some advice by the look of it! What did your typical week's schedule look like?
    Badbark - great report and well done again. Sub 2:50 soon.
    Leslie - good miles on tired legs!
    VTr - nice sub LT effort.
    RFJ - good report and well paced.
    As for +ve v.-ve splits - I go for +ve splits in a big wayimage

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Hi VT runner. Thanks for that - yeah I learned some important lessons so its all good. Onwards to 3hrs and beyond eh? Are you back on track now?

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

RFJ- nice mara report ,well paced too and right on target .image

Granola -Id say if you are looking to sub 3 in the future you will need to get your half time down to 1:23 ,this will take a good while so id be aiming for 3:10 mara next If I was you then 3:05 as its not so easy to take big chucks of as you get faster image

at 41 there is plenty of time left ( well I hope as I'm 42 image

VTR- cracking pace to start back at ,pleased with my run yes didn't think I had it in me until the day before the race I felt tired and as flat as a pancake ! The 3 days before were long dayshifts which didn't help with recovery from my 22 miler .

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Still in awe of the thread's collective performance last Sunday, and RFJ has added to that with his report of a perfectly judged and executed race. Well played! How are you injuries/niggles holding up?

Granola - can't really add to what others have said. Your shorter distance PBs are all roughly in line with mine, but as a 1-time marathoner (so far) I'm not in the best place to advise.

VTR - nice comeback session.

A steady 7 for me last night. More of the same planned for this evening.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Excellent report and consistency there RFJ. Huge congrats on nailing the target.

Really pleased to see the comeback continuing strong VTr.

Swelling around ankle much improved and flexion returning to joint. Physio says I can run again once it flexes as much as the other knee/ankle does. I'm seeing him on Tuesday so hopefully will be back up and running by then. Legs a bit stiff but not too bad at all. More dog walking for now.

Belated welcome to Granola! Looks like you're here to stay image
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Glad to see you're on the mend MsE. No need to rush back as your splendid effort on Sunday deserves a decent rest and recovery.

My mat who I ran with in Brighton has entered us for a 10k pairs relay race (5 x 1k each). Sounds like a laugh but I want to give a good account of myself. It's in 2 weeks.

Went to the track today to attempt some intervals to prep for it. Just did 3 efforts of 800, 1 mile, 800 all with 200m slow walking recoveries. Splits were 2.54, 5.59 and 2.57.

Hard work at times as there was a stiff headwind and my legs are still heavy for some reason (marathon still in there?)

Will try and do 1k reps there next week to gauge what sort of time we can aim for.

GD

• GD, Windlesham relays? Did those last year but not planned this year.

Month end, 181.48 miles in 23:13:26 hours at an average pace of 7:41.

Looks good so far 2015: 812 miles done so over 200 a month. Need to hold it steady for the next 4 months and then can get some more miles in at the end of the year.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great 3 min PB there, Badbark -  well done  . . .

RFJ - well executed race & good you're pleased with it (& yes, it did seem a long way up from Maze Hill station . . .) 

nice midweek 18 sneaked in there, Leslie, and more encouraging work by VTr  noted.

still resting here - first run post VLM will be on Saturday.  

183 for April ( includes tapering & VLM),  890 for the year

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Resting here too, and eating....image

First run will be ny parkrun return Saturday, then the Keswick Half M on Sunday- I'll not be doing anything silly, though legs actually feeling much better today...

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

No plans to run until Saturday at the earliest this end, although thankfully the legs feel significantly better today than they did yesterday.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

RFJ, agreed, very well executed race! Congrats.

Nice mileage there PMJ and Birch.

GDawg, nice fast work there. I bet you do still feel the marathon (didn't seem like you held anything back on the day).

The rest of you walking dead, enjoy your well earned break!

Today went out for subLT II. This time managed 13 miles with 10 fast (all either 6:5X or 7:0X). Did a stretch of 7, then had to rest as stomach not happy...did another fast mile...stomach complained so rested a bit, then 2 more and stomach stayed in check. Long 2 c/d miles home though. Questionable food last night most likely. Anyway, happy with these first tests of the speed/endurance system. Nayan, think I'm firmly back on the trail now. After 9 miles in Feb, got 117 in March, and now 202 for April.

Been interested in the discussion of how to go sub3 (or get major improvements in general). Mileage seems to be a factor that's changed the tide for a few including Badbark. I typically end up doing 50-60 during heavy weeks of marathon training, but think I may be able to handle a bit more this year. A risk though with injury history. Thinking about it though. Also seriously thinking about finding a coach to review my form and a few other things (inspired by MsE).

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    VTr - personally, I think just avoiding injury goes a long way to getting you there because you can reap the benefits of consistent blocks of training. I've done two marathon cycles now since my long time off and just the one cycle before my sub-3 training was enough to help build endurance and give me a good base. If your injuries are caused by biomechanics than a coach may be helpful.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I took on a mentoring thread this campaign sk havnt had time to keep up enough on here. But id like to give a big well done to birch and MsE. Two standout performances and both very inspirational. Birch looked like his marathon days were over a year or two back. Cracking result for a bit of gumption and consistency.
  • Badbark - can't remember if I congratulated you on a fantastic performance on Sunday. You're a brave man with another marathon this coming weekend!

Cracking stuff from you there RFJ - superbly well executed plan. 

Took a rest day on Monday, a gentle 3 miler on Tuesday and then a pleasant run from Chelsea Harbour up to Westminster Bridge (which brought back fond memories) and back for nearly 9 miles on Wednesday. Fartlek session this morning brought me up to 190 miles in April (my biggest April ever by quite some margin) and 835 for the year so far.

When I wake up tomorrow morning, it'll be Comrades month. OMG!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good pacing RFJ - did what you said on the tin

Granola - as the sages have said, look at those times over shorter distances. Some people convert better than others, but there won't be many who go sub3 without getting the HM down to 1.27.  For many, even 1.25 is marginal. 1.23 makes it much more likely.

1st post VLM run today - 2m gentle on the grass. 

Bike It - good mantra. Running with the heart. Which pen are you in?

Meanwhile, SB is talking a lot of sense...

Sandy Balls wrote:
     I don't enjoy marathons, but the sense of achievement is hard to beat. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

consistency is the word for your result, TR - 9 sec spread over last three (2:54) outings? ?
    and all within the context of multi-sport & family sport commitments - well played, young man ! 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    All gadgetless, so done on feel. Although I was fitter this time so it was a more cmfy ride, but more enjoyable in a soak up the crowd and have a look around way..Pleased I had a change of mind and toed the line.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - nice pace for those reps. Looking good for the relay.
    PMJ, Birch, Lorenzo - good miles so far this year.
    OO - What's the course like at Keswick?
    VTr - another good run. When are you planning to do your next mara?
    TR - very impressive string of results in London.
    Been cutting back on quantity, but not quality this week, and am hopefully ready now to zip up the man suit on Sunday after a planned rest tomorrow.

•      "it appears that you have been slipped a Mickey Finn in the dodgiest bar in Rio and  woken up with much to be ashamed of."

Not at all, Poacher.  I was proud to be stepping out with you on my arm.  Highlight of the day, in fact.

I hope you are niggle free? 

I doubt I'll ever be niggle free, MsE.  But I've resolved not to whine about it on here all the live-long day.

Yikes.  A 9 miler already, Lorenzo?  It'll be several days before I run again.  Though I will be sweating through a Hot Yoga session tomorrow morning.  A yoga/pilates medley, played out in near-sauna conditions, for some reason.  It's all the rage, apparently.  And it'll hopefully help with the niggles I'm no longer mentioning.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gul - what's Sunday's race? Targets? I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but it's lost somewhere in all the mara excitement.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a well run race RFJ- what a shame about the pit stop, that will have cost you 2-3 mins I guess plus the stressing before hand?

Gul- Keswick is a beautiful race but tough and very hilly as you'd expect. My best is about 1:23, but would be very happy with 1:25 this time- but I'm not taking it at all seriously. After the Lord Mayor's show is the prevailing feeling... 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Another metronomic and quality performance TR.

Well done RFJ too.

Good luck to his weekend's racers - OO, BB, Gul. Anyone else?

Hard bike week this week, hitting the spinning bikes every day in the gym at work and planning a 5hr ride tomorrow. Lovely 7miler in the sun last night over the local fells with the running club including a "fast" last mile of 7:15....
  • 9 miles for me this morning across London to pick up this

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/10402857_981940745151012_6474641251034822560_n.jpg?oh=d8824bef536fc19e8b99f73b0e5723d2&oe=55D0503D

Took the train back as I didn't fancy 9 with a half case of wine under my arm. The wine is made by a cooperative and last year we all put grapes into a big pile and 8 months later we get bottles of wine. I have a single vine but it grows over 100 linear feet and I get over 50kg of grapes from it.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul-go smash it !

Slokey- 5hr ride ,thats a big un !,excellent x training image

PMJ- nice wine you harvested yourself image

TR-nice high fiving , crowd waving sub 3 image

4x400+4x800+1 mile this morn in an 11 miler , the mile came out at a disappointing 6:14 this time after a few sub 6 miles but its been a tough week image

April stats: 226 miles and 1098 miles so far this year ....

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice work PMJ. It would make me run faster knowing I was going to collect that lot at the end of a run. image  BTW, yes, it is the Windlesham relay in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

SJ - just put a deposit down on a Giant Defy 0 road bike, pick it up next week. The Giant shop guys are giving me a full fitting so the bike will be setup just for me. Then it's 12 weeks of increasing distance as I train in the Surrey Hills for the Ride London 100 in August. That should keep my legs in endurance mode before the autumn/winter training for VLM16.

If I can keep off the Friday beers tonight I'll endeavour to make my parkrun debut tomorrow and bag a 5k PB. image

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Leslie, 5hrs sounds like a lot but I'm doing the Fred Whitton next weekend which is about 8hrs and massoovly hilly. I'm a tad underprepared! Then there's an even longer one the week after (although with a touch less climbing).... All good training though.

GD, enjoy the new wheels, my standard road bike is a giant tcr and it's a very capable and good value bit of kit so great choice on the Defy (excellent reviews for it too). Good luck on the parkrun. What's the target time?

Hope it tastes good PMJ!