Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Is anyone watching Wiggo's hour record attempt.

Inspirational stuff- set a target to not just break the record put publicly stated that he will smash it - utter confidence and willingness to bury himself.
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    "There is no second place. You either do it or you fail."
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great report Poacher- setting you up as a legend of the thread- savouring the moment or having a kip?

That sounds like a tough mara Badbark- another terrific performance.

Good effort PMJ- brave to go full pelt with the pre race concerns.

Doesn't seem like a bad time to me Joolska, especially for this time of the season and allowing for the wind.

Nippy 14 miler here. Hope I recover in time for my race on Tuesday.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

On the plus side, the producer of Silent Witness has been in touch - I've been offered a bit part as a corpse in the next series.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - no damage done, I hope.  Must have been very frustrating to say the least.
    Lorenzo - there's always one, unfortunately. Classic photo.
    OO - nice 14 miler.
    Poacher image
    Back to the running today, thank goodness. 79:43 inc. 10x100m strides on an unplanned route. According to map my run, it was 10.13 miles.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Great running Badbark.  It's seems a bit of a hilly one though.  Mostly we choose flat and fast marathons so it is mentally hard for us have to vary the pace.  Sounds like you adapted though.

Great riding Blisters - sounds like a lovely outing

Quite remarkable stuff Poacher and an amazing result to finish in such a time with essentially zero training.  But that's where mental capability comes in as well as all the long term running you have done.  Certainly with you on the B2B - the jangling of the two medals together will stay with me for life.  

I'm definitely back for 2016 (and 2017, 2018, 2019,.....).  After a careful body check I seem remarkably intact and probably now ready for proper training - I've 2 years of inconsistency to over-come.  Firstly I need to get some speed back.

No running this weekend - I took the kids fishing and we had a great time (no fish caught though).  They even had a practise in the swimming pool on Saturday before the lake on Sunday

• Options

Gul, no long lasting damage: just grazes at the moment. I bruise in a very odd manner: takes maybe a week for the bruise to appear so sometimes I see a bruise and can't recall what happened to cause it.

SJ: I watched the Wiggins hour over dinner on mute. I do wonder what direction this whole event is going in as it really is a bit artificial. The whole event is billed as man versus clock but really it is man versus drag: if you are in a velodrome and have a good surface and pump your types up hard then the biggest thing you have to overcome is air resistance. The obvious thing is then to reduce drag and Chris Boardman did that in 1996 and cycled 56,375m which blows Wiggins' 54,526 out of the water. In interviews Wiggo kept saying 1030 millibars of pressure which means the air was more dense and so more drag.

One day, someone may have a successful attempt at altitude with lower air pressure and then the UCI have to decide how far that is allowable. The natural evolution of this is to a calibrated, static bike (something like the wattbike) and just see how much work one guy can put in over an hour.

For me, I'd prefer to watch a time trial where all competitors ride the same course on the same day and you eliminate many of the variables.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, the hour record in space!

Good to hear there's no serious damage PMJ.

Had a good ride out yesterday up to Ambleside and then Kirkstone Pass via the Struggle (aptly titled). 52miles total and felt stronger the longer the ride progressed. Short run afterwards.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Poacher-nice report goodluck with the new acting career image

PMJ- nice racing shame about the fall 

Badbark -15th with 4hr time must be very tough conditions 

Zero miles here and zero will to do any either image

• Options

Nice 10 miler GM

Good parkrun 0052, at least you didn;t have to look over your shoulder for junior 00

Still a good time for your 3k Jools.

Brilliant report and photos poacher. I think it is so hard to put into words how it feels to actually do and complete an Ultra like this.

Tough race and collision PMJ. Well done for carrying on.

Well done on your muddy mountain marathon Badbark.

6 mile league race yesterday and somehow managed 38.31. Build up for the race the day before wasn't ideal - all day music festival, standing up all day, 5 x pints of beer, chips, curry wrap & crisps.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Nice to see you back to it.

PMJ - Great show of restraint post collision and good recovery to continue the race.

Poacher - Brilliant report and nice double bling to show for your efforts. Still can't quite believe you did it after all your recent woes.

Bike it - Great to hear you being so positive. Hopefully you can build on this and get some reward for your determination. What's next on your radar?

SJ - Nice bike miles. I am hoping to get a new a pair of wheels soon, nothing fancy just want to get out and try some bike riding.

Leslie - What's up?

KR - Excellent carb loading pre your 6 mile race.image Good pace too!

OO - What's the race tomorrow?

8 miles last night in the lovely early evening sunshine @ 7:31 avg pace. Another 6 this afternoon in the warm sunshine along the coast. Wanted to run at an easy pace and that came out @ 7:48. That caps off 51 miles for 7 continuous days of running for me. That's my best consistent spell of running for quite some time. Rest day tomorrow and then some shorter easy miles the rest of the week with a speed/track session pencilled in for Saturday.

• Options

Awesome report Poacher! Great shorter racing from others too. Even shorter racing for me, just lots of them. 

Saturday - Midlands league in windy Gloucester. First up 800m, which I was instructed to jog round just to pick up the points. Then the 3000m. I didn't expect much given current fitness levels and the crazy weather, but surprised myself with 10.58, then dragged myself round the 1500m for a PW of 5.26. 

Sunday - UK Women's League in Bristol and I ended up having to to the steeplechase. It was quite fun in a way and I didn't even come last despite being the only one who had to put a hand on the barrier to get over it. First time into the water jump was a shock, it's really deep! And kinda chilly too. Like a free ice bath on each lap. 

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Oooh, you are brave, Speedy! I always think the steeplechase looks so scary.  Well done!  You are really doing well with your comeback.

Good to see you racking the miles up and obviously running well for it, Gerard.

Nice racing from PMJ (glad that tumble didn't do any lasting damage) and KR.  You have super speediness, KR, whereas I seem to have legs of lead today as I tried to do my first Pfitz workout of the cycle, 9 w/5@HMRP.  I could barely hit MRP! After catastrophising about anaemia and sinister illnesses, I came to the conclusion that my rather lax post marathon diet (errr, cakes, chocolate and biscuits) has led to a rather lax runner's body.  Time to treat it like a temple and get serious now I have been told I can have an elite bib at my next marathon. image

And Wiggo?  He is a legend. That is all.  And vehemently anti doping which is a great thing in this day and age as we need people like him to show that it is possible to be the best without resorting to drugs.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - You really had an action packed racing w/end and sounds like you enjoyed it and even the Steeple!!! Rather you than me, I can't jump to save my life. Well done on a very good 3,000 time too.

MsE - I can relate to the chocolate and biscuits thing. I am a total gluttonous pig when it comes to that. Must try harder to  change that aspect of my fitness/condition as it doesn't make me run faster that's for sure. Oooh an elite bib, what is your next marathon?

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

KR - food for athletes, clearly!

Loving the extended Comrades reports from our intrepid ultra runners. Great stuff.

Some good training & racing going on over a variety of distances; always amazes me the range of events people here turn their hands (and feet) to.

Hope there are no lasting effects from your collision PMJ.

Slokey - that's not a ride for the faint-hearted! Assuming the weather plays ball, my brother-in-law is preparing himself for a BGR attempt next weekend, with a self-imposed target of 20 hours. Given that you know the territory pretty well (and others on the thread who frequent the Lakes too), wondered if you'd be interested in taking a look at his blog which details a lot of his training (there's some climbing stuff in there too, but I ignore that!). Feel free to ignore, but it's here: https://climberandrunner.wordpress.com/

Decent weekend of mixed training for me; a 10 miler early Saturday morning, cricket in the afternoon, and then out on the bike for 1h20 yesterday evening. Entry confirmed for the Oxford HM on October 11th, so that's the main autumn target confirmed.

• Options

As some of you complain about photos of body parts can I put in a word and say there should be less talk of curry, beer, cak and biscuits followed by fast running. If you indulge that is fine, but at least have the decency to pretend they slow you down.

Speedy, I used to be the V40 record holder for 3000m SCNWJ (steeple chase no water jump). In the hot summer we had an eternity ago with hosepipe bans they could not fill up the pit so we had 4 barriers and ran by the empty water jump.

My twitter feed just popped up Steve Edwards who has now done 600 sub 3:15 marathons which is pretty incredible. Even more incredible is that on power of 10 he has a PB of only just under 2:52 and has not gone sub 3 since 2010. If I were him I would certainly try and knock off a fast one very couple of years.

• Options

Gerard - I didn't jump over the barriers, I climbed! 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

In other news, when out on my run earlier I saw what could have been a terrible accident but luckily wasn't. The majority of the roads and pavements in Jersey are quite narrow and as a runner I have become even more aware of this. Especially the way people generally rush around. A young chap was walking on the opposite side of the road to me and I didn't spot him until I heard a bang and he was clipped on the elbow by a side mirror. Luckily he didn't go under the car or the one after the car that clipped him. He was wearing headphones and didn't know anything about it until after it happened. I stopped running and went over to ask if he was ok and luckily he was. He was very apologetic and embarrassed as he knew he was in the wrong. I just said to him please be more careful and if you are wearing headphones at least try walk on the pavement as far away from the road as possible. The driver of the car was very angry as his mirror was broken but as far as I am concerned it could have been a hell of a lot worse for both of them. Was a reminder of how dangerous commuting with headphones is. I hope he has learnt a lesson there.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - Still impressive, I tried running and climbing over things once and it was a complete disaster.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just had a scan read on this page and there's been some very interesting weekend action going on. I particularly enjoyed KR's fuelling strategy, that's right up my street that is!

Will have a proper read back later.

Only 2 runs last week as the bike training continues to dominate. Run focus has been tough as well as tiring. managed to get out today for an undulating 7 miler. Managed 6.56 pace which I'm pretty pleased with. My run maintenance level is doing OK, so if a race comes along a short campaign ramp up should see me perform well.

For the southern based lot who know Surrey, I had a cracking 55 mile ride on Saturday morning. Toughest part was me and my lad leaving the front door at 06.30. Once we got going it was fine. Just 3 climbs of note, Leith Hill, Ranmore Common and the beast that is Barhatch Lane (21%). All done and dusted and felt really good afterwards.

Decent summer evenings make cool beers hard to resist. Must run/ride harder to earn the reward. image

GD

• Options

I found this pic from Saturday lurking on flikr. Hopefully there aren't any of Sunday's effort.

/members/images/245447/Gallery/Mids_League__Gloucester_(640x426).jpg

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Great racing Speedy (track star) - looks like you are leading comfortably on that pic.

So PMJ is a record holder!

Abbers, 20 for a BGR is shifting some. Wish him luck from me.

Looking good GD
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - Cool pic. Is that another thread member 3 places behind you?

• Options

I was most certainly not leading the race. I've not seen the results yet but the girl at the front was well speedy. I think I was maybe 4th or 5th. And yes, Gerard, well spotted!

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    800m to the marathon is an impressive range of competitive racing Speedy.

Slokey, that's more good biking. Steep going up Kirkstone Rd & struggle. When's your monster tri?

Good blog from your BiL Abbers. 20 hours is a challenging target. But his training looks impressive. I did the BGR in 1986, when I was into long distance mountaineering challenges. Can't believe it's nearly 30 years ago!

Great record from Wiggo. 54+k in an hour is hugely impressive, wherever it's riden
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - image. Coincidentally I have a running buddy who I call speedy but Viking as opposed to Goth and she ran a 3,000 in UK the w/end too. She won the race in 10:3x, think it was the ladies Southern league.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    With all due credit to Speedy, who ran well, I did say I'd not run well. Looking at my gait there I didn't even run neatly. Still, onwards and upwards: the post viral thing will go and I'll get my speed back.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

(Although by any objective judgement, you are both pretty quick.)

BI - liking your enthusiasm. Might see you there.

PMJ - a fall at pace with a dodgy ankle could have been v v serious...

Nice consistency GM

SJ - what's the target for the big race?

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭