Sub 3h15

Comments

• Lorenzo, I can beat your 800m but the 1% in consecutive races is pretty hard to beat. I had a hope as I have done a 200m race so can sneak by with a mere 20km or half marathon but records show it was sandwiched between a 800m and a parkrun (so 4%).

Anyone want sub-20 for parkrun come down to Black Park on Saturday August 1st and I will be pacing the 20 minute group.

• 6x800m on the goose shit track with 400m jog recovery came out as 3:11, 3:07, 3:03, 3:02, 2:59, 3:00. All done to feel so no clue about pace until I press the Garmin at the end of the 800m. First was a bit slow but the rest were good except that over enthusiastic penultimate one which then messed up the ultimate.  Did the same session 13 days ago and they were 3:13, 3:08, 3:07, 3:08, 3:05, 3:13 so the right direction, though I'd hope to be doing sub 3 for all 6.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Depending on the levels of goose shit I bet that can add time with the foot slippage, PMJ. Great session image

Lorenzo - no racing this summer apart from the club handicap 5 miler while I try rid myself of this niggle. My team are doing well in the Surrey Road League and don't need me anyway so I'll look forward to XC season and base train for now. I am Thunder Running but only as a non-competitive weekend.

11.5@7:30/mi working on form all the way.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    PS some mightily impressive 800m times being mentioned here! From Comrades to 800 in 2:38 shows assume range, Lorenzo!
  • MsE wrote (see)

11.5@7:30/mi working on form all the way.

and I think I am doing well with 7.5 at 7.5. Get out and race while you are fast.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Lorenzo. Your intention is the same as mine. Your a lot braver than me though heading to such races.

Good to see PMJ heading in the right direction on the speed front.

Nice fast runs from GD, Gul and MsE noted.

2x2km and 2x 1km here. Where did my speed go and will it come back? Ran them at 4:30 per km (which I hope to be 10km pace but used to be MP) and the last in 4:09. 14km overall. Progress not perfection.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Double session here. 5 up and down my favorite hill at work, then 6 recovery this evening. Off to Paris tomorrow, meaning high consumption and low mileage. So it's down hill from here ...hic

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

8 miles for me on the beach, the sand was soft but it felt hard. Legs felt a bit jelly like after yesterday's effort but the sun was shining and I had a very nice breeze to keep me cool on the way back.

• Nicely done folks. I remember those numbers. Dimly.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - nice 800m reps.
    MsE - sounds like you found your stride yesterday.
    Bike It - good progress.
    OO - solid hill work.
    GM - an enjoyable session.
    5.3 mile recovery run d&d.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

After posting earlier, I glanced in the mirror in the bathroom and there was blood down my ear and neck. Then I remembered that I ran too close to the edge of the field and got pronged in the ear by a branch. Just a tiny cut fortunately image

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I've hard my heart set on achieveing sub 3:15 for just over a year now - I ran 3:16:07 at London last year, and was determined to crack it this year (3:15 is GFA for me). Due to a combination of bad planning and beer-fueled decision-making, I ended up booked into the Paris, London & Edinburgh marathons this year, all within 7 weeks. Training went well, but a hot day in Paris caused really bad calf cramps - 3:22. Two weeks later in London I was still knackered and just ran out of steam - 3:19. Rested a little and came to Edinburgh five weeks later and was going strong, until we hit a horrific headwind for the last 9 miles, finishinging in 3:15:40. Aaaaargh!

Being a stubborn git, I then entered the Liverpool rock n roll marathon which was two weeks later (last Sunday) - tough course (hilly) but a great event. Was running on empty by the end, but finished in 3:13:15. I was so focussed on running that I didn't allow myself to realise appreciate that I might crack it this time, so when I reached the finish I was quite emotional - finish line picture has me jumping in the air over the line, hands in the air.

My knees hate me and my feet blisters are scaring my kids away, but I did it. Just wanted to shout from the rooftops, really, and see any GFA'rs in London in April.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Well done rodeoflip! Where there's a will and all that image

I also recovery ran today, Gul. But no attacks by branches or gory blood on returning home. 5@8:19/mi following Pilates. Just had a session with the chiro to iron out any kinks. Whatever did we do before ART?
  • rodeoflip: solid result for sticking at it.

Anyone trying to catch the Women's Tour: starts today and ends Sunday

http://www.womenstour.co.uk/

I plan to be at Marlow on Sunday am to see the start.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Cheers guys. One thing which helped me on Sunday (and at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious) was that there weren't too many runners, so you could choose your road position. I made a conscious effort to take the shortest route round every corner, all the way around. I know it's not much, but I'm guessing it all adds up - my GPS trace actually has me running 26.0 miles on Sunday, not 26.2. Even allowing for error, this is still the "shortest" marathon I've ever recorded, worth considering for anyone like me where every advantage is needed.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice going rodeoflip, well done! Like you I scored a GFA this year (3.13 in Brighton) and have been checking the VLM website for application info. Not open yet.

I bet you looked like a running warrior fresh from the battle, Gul. image
    Glad you got the ironing done MsE image

Popped out today to see if I could do a series of sub-7 miles in a 5 mile tempo. bagged the full set and averaged 6.47 pace. It was hot and was hard work. Legs felt tired after a monster spinning session last night.

20 mile blast on the road bike tonight to complete 6 fitness sessions in 5 days and then a much needed rest day tomorrow.

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Greetingsh from Amshterdam. Picking the lingo up well eh? On a bit of a midweek break to aid with my taper - mostly consisting of looking at paintings in art galleries, eating cheesecake for breakfast and drinking beer all day.

Enjoying hearing about the speedy stuff. (Impressive range Lorenzo!)

Hope you are enjoying Siena VTr. Lovely place. Best marinara pizzas on the planet.

Onwardsh!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Shplendid shtuff there ShlokeyJoe, for shure!

GD (hop-hop!)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Rodeo flip, my pal did 3:16 in Liverpool, well down on his usual times. Respect!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Rodeoflip - congrats on the sub 3:15 - your persistance paid off!
    GD - nice work - always amazed when people go straight into tempo or faster with no warm-up! Enjoy the well-earned rest.
    SJ - cheesecake for breakfast image
    11 miles inc. 6 x 1 min hill sprints this morning.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Rodeoflip-looks like hard work has paid of in the end image

Slokey-nice cheesecake assisted taper ,nom nom image

Gul-nice a 11 with hill sprints image

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, GFA was a big deal for me, I would have been a real grumpy b£$%ard all summer if I hadn't managed to get it after so much effort.

Now, GFA = God my Feet look Awful.

• Can people check on https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/ from time to time and tell me when it is open.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good work Rodeoflip - persistance pays off in marathon running

That must be the biggest hill in your part of the world Gulimage .  Nice mid-week distance.

Nice to see a good session from GD too

11km here at around 5 min per km / 8m/m - I haven't run an easy run that fast for a while.  It's cool/cold here so no reason to not run a bit faster - just I have to persuade my body to remember how to do it.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

PMJ: I've been checking multiple times everyday since last Friday. It's my first GFA and I'm like a kid with an advent calendar waiting for Christmas to arrive.

I'm FORTY-BLOODY-SEVEN!!!

Will let the thread know as soon as it opens...

GD

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Rodeoflip - Hi and well done on your sub 3:15! Great perseverance!

Gul - Watch out for the low branches!image

Bike it - It's coming together nicely and the cooler temps will no doubt help with some speedier stuff. I remember trying to acclimatise for 37c heat in a half I did a few years ago down south and it was hard going.

Sorry haven't had a proper read back but loving G-Dawg's enthusiasm for all things exertive at the mo!

Been a fairly busy week this end and my legs were pretty thrashed after my tempo/speed run Monday and ran a hard 8 miles on the beach in the soft sand the next day, maybe not the wisest thing to do but couldn't resist it was gorgeous and then did a recovery run yesterday and attacked a 6 mile very hilly route tonight. It was very warm and was a real test for the knees. Average pace was 7:29, so not too bad but my calf muscles are feeling it. Rest tomorrow and then a tough 5 mile session planned for Saturday followed by some yoga and hopefully 16 on Sunday.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hip niggle to add to tetchy Achilles so I shortened today's 9 to just 6 to test things out. As ever I felt fine when running (claiming more Strava crowns!) but afterwards and during the evening I just don't seem to feel right. The achilles is chatting away to me and my hip is sore. There's a lot going on generally and sometimes it's just a sign I need to pull back and rest to leave energy for the family and other duties. So that's what I'll do for a few days, starting with just dog walking and maybe some hot yoga tomorrow...

Stay well and injury free folks. The rest comes easily after that.
  • No need to tell me when the Golden Ticket scheme is open.

I still have to go out there and deliver. Even at a 3:20 target it still needs doing.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - nope. GFA entries still not open.
    Bike It - Good progress. it would be possible to extend those hill sprints almost up to 2 mins, I would say, but that's about the extent of the "hill". But it is the only one for several miles around.
    GM - good hill work. Hope the calves recover ok.
    MsE - wise to ease up a bit.
    Blisters - I know that feeling.
    7.8 miles easy. Intended to do a nice steady effort and I didn't check my watch till afterwards.Surprised to discover that I had very nearly clocked up an accidental blind royal flush - just the final lap number 17 of the field was 1 second too slow image

• Just had a quick look on the VLM site to see if it is open yet - it is not.  Then I thought I would pop in here to see if anyone knows when it does open and I see we're all over it and checking regularly!

Not been on here since VLM so a belated congratulations to Bike It, Poacher and Lorenzo for their Comrades exploits. I'm sure much else has happened too but I specifically read back to see how they got on.    Staggering - as no doubt they all were for a few days after.

Despite my best intentions I have let it go Ricky Hatton style since VLM, doing maybe 3 short runs per week but eating and drinking too much. Hopefully submitting my GFA entry will help get things back on track.

I have Royal Parks HM in the diary for October but I find it is only really the prospect of a marathon that keeps my nose properly to the grindstone so I am considering entering Dartmoor Vale a couple of weeks later.  From a bit of lurking I did a few weeks back I recall there was some discussion of this event and how hilly it might be or not.  I think Gul was considering entering but maybe went for another option in the end?

Another is the Bristol to Bath which looks an interesting new event but the logistics don't work so well for me.