Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

. . . . and Slokey - bloody hell  !!!!!   

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Absolutely amazing SJ. Enjoyed reading that. Way beyond my limits...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

No idea what happened there...

Junior OO is off to either Sheffield or Edinburgh next year Birch. Can't wait to book a few races in her new locale

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry somethig strange going on with my tablet...

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

If she comes here, OO, I'll see you at parkrun - we have a few, but my nearest is very handy for Uni . . . . .

• Blimey Sloakey, I'm speechless. 

If race reports are in direct proportion to the length of the race I'd better keep mine brief! 3000m, Midlands League, Bristol. Bloody long way to go to run for 10 mins 52.1 seconds. Was annoyed by B runners from Bristol and Gloucester who were blatantly running over the inside line, especially the Bristol girl. That's just plain cheating in my book. But I beat them both and since I was A string they weren't technically in my race. Season's best for 4th A string. No sign of Jools today though. I imagine all clubs had the same issue today, but all of our best athletes were at the British Champs so we had 16 gaps in our team sheet. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Well done, Speedy. Your racing head is always a joy to get into when you post these reports.

Birch - I daresay the time will fly by and then I'll suddenly be contemplating Msettes and MsEsq away at university with new routes to run. Did it seem like yesterday she was still at school? You sound relieved to have seen Birch Jr in her new set up and happy with it all.

After a few missed days for taking the final element of an assessment to qualify to teach exercise to music, I was glad to be out for 18@9:12/mi along the NDW where I spotted four pillboxes from WWII. So humbling seeing these on my runs.

I am now a qualified fitness instructor, folks. Aerobics anyone? ::tumbleweed::
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

MsE - yes ,tks, she's 23 so 5 years since she left school, but seems like no time at all - good to see her independent and starting out in her chosen career (and still running) image      
    congrats on the new qualification   . . . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

15 solid miles. 100 miles in the last 2 weeks. Coastal training in the bag. 

• MsE, you can lead the annoying warm up at the start of races! 

21.5 miles for me today, which was half a mile longer than intended as I needed to divert to a shop to buy more water. 70.5 for the week and a cutback week beckons already. 

I maligned the Gloucester runner, it wasn't her, but the BRAT B string who was cutting the distance. The Bristol girl was worse though, I followed her for two laps and she spent more time running inside the line than in the lane. I don't know why it bothers me so much, since I beat them both anyway, and ran the full distance!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    25km for me this morning - that's about 15.5m in real numbers. I kept my Beanie on all the way and had to put my gloves back on. I've crept into the almost 40 miles per week zone. It will stay there as I attempt to get a bit of speed back.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

12M on Friday, sulking a bit throughout because my court hearing finished so late I had missed out on doing a race that evening, rest day yesterday to go to a wedding and then 16M today to ensure P&D week 2 done and dusted.

• Tony Hunt 3 wrote (see)

I'm only doing the 18 week P&D schedule up to 55 miles per week but my legs are aching every single day. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the training it's just that my legs are grumbling a bit.

I'd be interested to hear other runner's experience of the P&D schedules.

How far into P&D are you? It is all in cycles and you feel different in different cycles.

• Ah, that explains your absence from the Midlands League then Jools. I did think it odd that you weren't at your home fixture.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Speedy - good racing and long run.
    MsE - sounds like a nice relaxed long run.
    OO - good mileage building-up.
    Bike It - steady progress.
    Jools - well done fitting in your long run - shame about the race.
    Cut-back is over, so 11 miles with strides today.avg heart rate went up from 140 in the warm-up to 154 in the last few miles which included the strides - max 181.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Quiet today

Busy weekend Jools - well managed

Sounds like you are firmly back in the groove Speedy

11 on a Monday - good stuff Gul

My achilles has eased off again - might give it a little test tomorrow...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

181 seems high Gul must have been quite an effort.

Rest day here, back in Geneva which is ell Scorchio

Pleased to say I sorted out my GFA entry. I had to call them. Nobody could explain why I had been rejected as they had all the documentation.All soted now...

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - sounds good, but take it easy.
    OO - pleased to hear your GFA entry is sorted. Re HR - I did notice the pace dropped below 5m/m towards the end of each stride, but as it was only about 100m it didn't seem like too much of an effort.
    MLR this morning. 6.5 miles out @ 8:43 avg HR 141 and 6.5 miles back @ 7:50 m/m avg HR 155 (peaked at 168 today). So 13 miles in total.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Sleeeep! I just want to sleeeep! image

Well done on getting the GFA sorted OO.

Tough weekend on the socials. Had a big race day with a crowd at Sandown Park on Saturday. lost my shirt and overdid the liquid carbs. Had the sense to not go for the post race curry but get home, have lots of fruit juice and go to bed.

Woke up feeling better, so went for a 5.5 untimed over on the common.

Yesterday I did a lunchtime 6 miler at 6.58 pace, a good session but a bit warm. Followed it up with a 45 mile bike ride after work. Deliberately riding hard uphill and bombing a couple of laps of Windsor Great Park in order to get the legs properly tired. It worked. I'm shattered now.

Rest day today apart from 18 holes of golf after work and picking youngest son up from a party at 11.30pm. image

GD

• PMJ - I'm in the last week of Mesocycle 1 and I've got 12 weeks to go to goal week. My legs are hurting today and I did a general aerobic 7 miles today with strides and it felt really hard. Tough old slog at the moment.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Tonight's session reads "5x or 6x 2km at planned 10km pace with 800m recovery". I've already decided on only 5 reps - up until now I've only done 3x 2km at race pace and so a notch up on the volume at that intensity.  I'm half looking forward to it and half dreading it.  Will report later

Good 11m there Gul

• Tony Hunt 3 wrote (see)

PMJ - I'm in the last week of Mesocycle 1 and I've got 12 weeks to go to goal week. My legs are hurting today and I did a general aerobic 7 miles today with strides and it felt really hard. Tough old slog at the moment.

That all sounds a bit wrong. The first mesocycle is endurance and the real aim of that phase is to transition smoothly from an average weekly mileage up to the sort of mileage needed for the marathon. I haven't got the 18 weeks up to 55 at hand (I have 55-70 and the up to 55 12 weeks) but the last week of cycle 1 should be a recovery week.

What sort of miles and pace were you doing beforehand and what miles and pace are you doing now? P&D is very much about advanced so it assumes a certain base level and it is not a plan suitable to go from scratch. I know you have done marathons in the past so don't fall into that complete novice category but maybe the schedule is too hard. You can always adjust the plans as obviously they are "lumpy" so there is oen plan up to 55 ad one up to 70 but what about the 60, 50 etc?

Last week was almost zero for me, 4 miles, but planned rest in a busy period. 7.5 at 7.5 yesterday felt real easy so will try and keep the lid on it today and then 10k race tomorrow night.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Still troubled by my foot niggle (was bothering me in the parkrun on Sat), so 2 rest days, but ventured out today for 10 miles - 4 to the dam wall, 10 x 350 metres , 4 miles back.  1.5 miles "tempo" in each of the 4 mile sections. Can feel the niggle now, but does seem to be gradually receding . . . . .

Good work this morn , Gul  . . .

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’ve just had a monster read back after returning from a holiday in Spain. There’s too much to comment on individually but it’s good to read about all the great runs, tri-reports, 3k races, Parkruns, monthly mileages and marathon schedules. Sorry to read about the injury woes.

My holiday was excellent with an enormous amount of food and drink consumed. I weighed myself after a 20 mile run the day I went on holiday and was 144 lbs. Before going to bed when I returned I weighed 162 lbs! Teehee.

On holiday I ran most mornings and managed a 110 mile fortnight including the Santa Pola 10k race. The race was bloody tough in the heat with the last few miles feeling more like the last miles of a marathon. I was happy enough to run 39:26 for 206th out of 3172 but the mile splits of 6:00, 6:09, 6:22, 6:35, 6:24 show how tough I found the later miles. I recently ran a HM at 6:15 pace with my HR about 5 lower than this race.

I’m well out of shape now so have booked a 10k and 3 HM’s as hard training sessions over the next 6 weeks before my next marathon at the end of August.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

110 miles on holiday is good going, Badbark - as is an 18 lb ballast gain whilst doing so !!  

• PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Tony Hunt 3 wrote (see)

PMJ - I'm in the last week of Mesocycle 1 and I've got 12 weeks to go to goal week. My legs are hurting today and I did a general aerobic 7 miles today with strides and it felt really hard. Tough old slog at the moment.

That all sounds a bit wrong. The first mesocycle is endurance and the real aim of that phase is to transition smoothly from an average weekly mileage up to the sort of mileage needed for the marathon. I haven't got the 18 weeks up to 55 at hand (I have 55-70 and the up to 55 12 weeks) but the last week of cycle 1 should be a recovery week.

What sort of miles and pace were you doing beforehand and what miles and pace are you doing now? P&D is very much about advanced so it assumes a certain base level and it is not a plan suitable to go from scratch. I know you have done marathons in the past so don't fall into that complete novice category but maybe the schedule is too hard. You can always adjust the plans as obviously they are "lumpy" so there is oen plan up to 55 ad one up to 70 but what about the 60, 50 etc?

The schedule started 1st June and prior to that I had ran 590 miles at 8:40m/m.

In relation to the schedule I dropped a recovery run last week and I reduced the run today from 8 miles to 7 miles so I am reducing mileage based on how I feel. The schedule I'm doing is up to 55 mpw but I'm not hitting the target mileage just yet.

My reply is within the quote 

• Tony, sounds like you are doing the right sort of things. The first phase is supposed to build up and it takes a while for the training you have done to become a benefit.

How many weeks were those 590 miles over? If you look at the P&D then a month is over 200 miles and for a 3:15 marathon (7:27 pace) then the average pace will be about 8:27 (marathon pace + 60 seconds). MP+20% is 8:56 which should feel easy.

• PMJ - You are on to something there. The 590 miles took me 5 months. Since 1st June I've ran 180 miles at an average pace of 8:23. I'm running quicker and the mileage is building so no wonder I'm tired. I know at the moment I'm not in sub 3:15 shape as the run today was 8:41m/m and it was hard work.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I wouldn't read much into paces now if you are in mesocycle 1.  I know it's something I bang on about a lot, but plenty of my training is around the 8m/m mark, and marathon pb pace is 6.28m/m.  It's what happens on race day that matters, not how a training run weeks out goes!