Sub 3h15

Comments

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

SJ, some serious quality getting done on your end. Interesting approach to marathon prep (I assume marathon?). I never do fast stuff like that (I think I'm more FT) but maybe should.

Madbark, howling at the moon and running like a beast! Well done!!

My legs have been a bit trashed so far this (cutback) week. 8 Monday, 12 Tuesday, and 6 w/8 x 100m striders today. All efforts have been easy pace. Legs felt wrecked Monday and have slowly come back as the week has progressed. Felt nice to get some speed going today. Hopefully will be fresh by the end of the week.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

PJFrizzle - if I remember correctly you are following P&Dish.  I don't think just running at LT pace is the key to a fast marathon.  P&D is a composite of different paces of different durations that as a whole give the results that many on here have shown. 

Nice treadie session SJ.

Excellent result BB

Easy running for me following Sunday's MP session.  14x400m at 5K pace off 200m recoveries planned for this lunchtime.

• VTr, I've basically taken the quality sessions from a Hudson plan and am replacing the prescribed easy volume with biking. I can't cope with the run volume that I need to hit the performance target that I'd like to get to so I'm just making the best of what I have. I'll let you know at the end of October if it has worked!

Enjoy your lunchtime session BI. Looks tasty!
  • Thanks Bike It - Yeah P&D but upped the 55 to 65. I'm doing 3 quality, 1 LSR and 1 or 2 recovery. Pretty happy with the numbers im achieving, but there in lies the problem ...ive become obsessed with hitting numbers and over analysizing the data. I think what I'm hearing is that LT runs are roughly at HM race pace which is roughly where im at, give or take a few secs per mile. I could push it a bit harder on the LT looking at my last HM race but its marginal and as you say its about achieving across all the diferent workouts on the plan. 

13m @ MP this morning in what was probably the best morning of the summer in Glasgow - when the sun shines it transforms this place.          

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Session done - I went down to the grass track for the first time that is at the uni's high performance centre.  I was expecting to be intimidated by the great and the good but there was absolutely no-one there - they must all have been in class. 2km warm up then 14x400m with 200m recovery - target was below 4:10 per km pace and they all came out under that.  It started off comfortably and then each rep started to get harder and the recovery turned from a run to a jog - very hard at the end. 4x strides to finish.  Happy with that.

PJFrizzle - I have the MP runs of P&D as some of the most important - at least for me.   If you can do 13 at MP in the middle of a busy training schedule then after some more specific training and a taper 26.2 at MP on the day becomes achievable

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

VTR- 80 miles weeks ya madman ! great stuff image

Badbark-nice track racing with the ladies, speedy stuff.image

Bike it- nice 400's

1st Physio appointment yesterday came away with 2 stretches to do and a shiny new stretch board for calf exercises , but there you go will go back this week to a bit of cross training again as I took last week off image I hope the next few sessions get some sort of a plan together as I'm getting a bit impatient now and all we have so far is my knee is a lot less sore if I don't run image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good news on the knee Leslie. And great track racing Badbark- I've never race 3 or 5k on the tarck either- would love to one day.

I'm home this week so trying some double days. Skipping on the beach with my Nordic poles in the morning then running in the evening. Chose a good week weather wise. In other news Junior OO got her A level grades and is off to Sheffield Uni in September. Looks like I'll be signging up for the Sheffield Half pretty soon image   

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great news on the A-levels for junior, OO.
    Good news in our house too as junior GD bagged better grades than expected and is possibly going for a Uni upgrade. Has 5 days to make his choice with one acceptance already bagged.

5 miles in the p!ssing rain at lunchtime. Went for the extra hilly version and got round in 7.12 pace with a 6.25 final mile as I thought I'd nick a mate's CR on Strava for the final section. He'll be upset with that! image

Got soaked through but thoroughly enjoyed. it.
    A-level beer and curry tonight.imageimage

GD

• Another happy child with A levels: daughter #3 got A* in maths and A* in further maths and a B in psychology and is off to Loughborough to study maths with a view to teaching maths. She will get teased at home as she got 100, 98,98, 97 and 97 in her 5 maths papers this summer: can't let standard fallimage

Wet at lunchtime so a bad case of shoaming

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shoaming

I am pacing at the Maidenhead Half so a nice 1:40 bimble to get ready for. Will be a useful measure as I come out of summer base and start to get a few longer runs in.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

been away for a few days, managed 4, 7, 0, 7 on Cleveland Way path
    OO - great city for junior to choose image
     - good (?) to hear of the return of shoaming - never experienced this myself  . . . . .

• Congrats to the super brainy next generation of Sub3:15ers! Such a relief when the results come in.... image

Hope you see an improvement soon Leslie

A mini taper for me in readiness for Saturday's swimrun race although today's complete rest has been rather enforced due to an unpleasant tummy bug. Hope that clears up by Saturday.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO - well done to the young un.

I remember this day last year when my daughter and her friends realised their dreams where coming true. It was very emotional. They all sat yesterday reminiscing. Our virtually adopted son (daughter's bf) got his results today and did exceptionally well through sheer hard work. We all feel very proud of him. Love seeing the youngsters getting on.
  • Congrats to all those heading off to pastures new in the autumn - the Lorenzo household will be one man down as well with elder Lorenzito off to Manchester to study Maths and Statistics (different uni but same course as his old man!). 

Got back from holiday yesterday lunchtime so headed out in the rain for 6.7 rather undulating miles this morning - my first run for almost 3 weeks. Very pleasant indeed. image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

We seem to have some bright youngsters around us, it is indeed very nice to see the younger generation getting on, and in most cases the best outcomes are for those who put in the graft. Bit sad for our family, being the third and last child leaving home, and especially for me losing my training buddy. It's her 18th tomorrow so we going for a family blast at parkrun.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Thought my lad was staying at home and going to Westminster. His better than expected grades have now taken him to Bangor. Looks great. Better get used to the 'empty nest' feeling. image

Rest day today and a steady 8 miler tomorrow.

GD

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I really believe it's best for their maturity and life skills to fly the nest. Know exactly how you feel though GD.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Huge congratulations to all the junior’s excellent exam results! Happy 18th birthday to junior OO too! It’s my daughters 2nd birthday tomorrow as well.

I’m looking forward to running the Groomsport HM tomorrow which will be the last race I run in Northern Irelands Half Marathon series. I’m battling it out for 2nd place in my age group in the 10 race series (5 fastest races count).

I was 3rd place after 7 races by 2 minutes but my 1:22 compared to a 1:26 to the guy ahead of me has me 2 minutes ahead of him. However, this was the first time I ever beat him in a race as he’s usually around 1:20 so he might have been ill or injured. It's going to be a close one.

My 5th fastest time in the series is 1:23:11 so ever second I can run faster than this will help.

It’s not the fastest course but I did manage a PB there 2 years ago, the day after my daughter was born, by digging deep and repeating a mantra of ‘PB for Charlotte’! I’ll try something similar again.image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Well done to those who have got their A-level result - and their parents too.  A lot of that is all down to you

Best wishes to those racing this weekend, particularly Badbark - sounds like an interesting series to be part of.

Recovery run here of 5m/8km.  Legs feeling a bit tired but not trashed after yesterday's session.  LSR will probably have to be Saturday as 7th year wedding anniversary is on Sunday.

• Hmmm, I suspect that my tummy bug was actually due to the blue-green algae which has coincidentally bloomed in Windermere this week.

Currently giving my system a pre-race flush out..... with cider.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Bike It - Happy Anniversary!

Boom! I just finished the Groomsport HM in about 1:20:07 for a shinning new PB by about 40 seconds, on an undulating course. I'm being greedy but I'm slightly disappointed not break 1:20. Unfortunately I had to run solo into a head wind for most of the last two miles which knocked about 20 seconds of my time.  

My mantra of 'PB for Charlotte' still worked wonders on her 2nd birthday. Now I'm going to have my first alcohol in 6 weeks to celebrate.  image image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good one, Badbark, and nice to use your girl as inspiration ! Enjoy the refreshments . . . . .

16 easy with pals this morn . . .

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, Badbark!

No happy pb tale for me. I suspect it's simply work fatigue taking its toll, as legs feel pretty ok, but scores on the doors 38.01. Season's best and faster than the same race last year, so going in the right direction.
  • Well done Jools - still a great time even if not a PB

Super stuff BB image

Truly epic day for me - Breca swim run event, without doubt the most beautiful and enjoyable course I've ever had the pleasure of racing. 6k of lake swimming and 24 miles of running in the Lakeland fells. Tough, gnarly to the point of ridiculous at times, big climbs, in and out of pristine lakes all day with wonderful marshals and organisation and a small, very friendly field. Perfect day out. Full report to follow.
  • So, yesterday was the first swimrun event ever held in the UK. Usually the reserve of the Swedes it seems to have become much more popular thanks to coverage of the OtilO race in Stockholm in magazines and newspapers over the past couple of years. I spotted the Swedish races a while ago and thought it would be worth having a go as something a bit wilder than a tri. Format is long distance open water swimming in a team of two punctuated with off road running with the fun element of kit modification and tactics to enable swimming with trainers on and to run without removing a wetsuit. I managed to find a partner who was willing to have a crack or OtilO after 12 months of looking / harassing just as this race appeared just up the road in the lakes.

The race:

We rocked up to Buttermere Village Hall at 8am and went in to the briefing to be given our maps, swim caps and race vests. Rules were basically to stay within 10m of each other in the swim and 50 (or a hundred - can't remember) m of each other on the run. Course sounded a bit tough with descriptions of "aggressive gradients", multiple river crossings and rough, slippery terrain. There were 14 teams including at least 3 European teams (who turned out to have quite a pedigree). Seems the typical profile for a swim runner is being in their late 20s and 6ft2 and looking like they've just stepped off a film set. Hey ho, my partner (iain) and I set ourselves the target of finishing "not last" and we lined up for the start marvellingn at the kit choices of the other teams.
  • Cut down wetsuits, pull buoys strapped to legs, hand paddles, tethers to tie the team mates to each other, cut down race vests to reduce drag were de rigeur.

And we're off - 600 m run down to the lake side and he "swim in" sign, middle of the pack and a run and wade into the lake to start the 600m swim. Jeez, that's cold - probably about 12/13degrees but we are swimming and I'm grinning as I bob along quite happily. I look behind and Iain is way back. Stop and tread water. Repeat. We come out of the water last but both chuckling. Oh dear - going to be a long day!

We overtake two teams on the next run stage of about 500m and back into the water for an 800m swim across the lake, we hold one of the teams off and come out in 13th place but iain is struggling with swimming at pace with trainers on. We are out again and there is a hard climb next up Rannerdale knotts, very steep but manageable as a march and we catch two teams (a boys team and a girls team) at the top - very pleasant descent back down to Crummock Water and its a 1k swim. Both teams we'd caught pass us in the water the male team put about 6/7minutes into us and the girls 8/9minutes (they motored past us!). It was a long time in the water for this stage and because I was waiting around I was getting a bit cold. By the time we were out we were well off the pace and there was one team behind us still in the lake but no sign of anyone ahead. The next stage was a 12k run with a 2k out and back leading to a 5mile loop so I stripped my wetsuit down to my waist and held the cap and goggles in my hand for his bit. Trucked along the road bit as the race leaders flew past in the other direction and I gave them a spot of banter (they were effectively an hour ahead after 2.5 hrs of racing!). On through Loweswater and then approached a checkpoint for a quick snack of coke and shortbread although accidentally ate a piece of snickers instead of Mars bar - very disappointed about that.

Along the road and then up off road and climbing again.

Iain was struggling with running the up hills (a marathon last weekend probably wasn't ideal prep) but is a very experienced mountain sort so was able to still make good progress whilst walking. Up again and then we were heading back parallel to Loweswater shore line for a couple of miles then descended back through a farm to the checkpoint and a couple of

K back to the lake.
  • By be looks of things we were going to comfortably make the interim cut-off time so we trucked along the next swim nice and steady (500m ish) and back out along. The shore of Crummock Water. Boost stretch of running of just over a km next and then back down to the lake for a swim across to the opposite shore and a run through woods across to Buttermere. The route seemed to just end at this point but it seemed we were supposed to climb over a fence and jump from it into a river (thigh deep) and wade across - ok then. Run on trail and pathway through a camp site and round the end of Buttermere next and maybe a mile down the shore before hitting the next swim entry and it was the last long swim, a km across the lake and iain was worrying a bit about it but we took it slow and steady and eventually popped out on the other side at the checkpoint and under the 7hr cutoff by 1.25hrs image
  • Now the fun starts! A bit of refuelling then a climb up through the woods then climb and climb and climb. About 700m of ascent without relief with significant sections of using hands and feet to scramble up the trail well above he tree line and to near the top of Robinson. Amazingly, we were catching two teams ahead. This kind of terrain is really Iain's forte (orienteer, multiple Bob Grahams) and he leads he way and sets the pace. Along the ridge (utterly stunning views) and then climb again up to the summit of Dale Head where we catch the 2 teams ahead of us. Good job we did because the course markers had been removed and they didn't know where they were or how to get down but iain led the way and skipped down the mountain side on the steep descent towards Honister slate mine and we were clear from the two teams. Checkpoint just near he mine and we don't stop other than to log out number and take a swig of fluid. 50m along the road and this is where the course takes a bizarre turn. Instead of continuing down the road the course zigzags across the stream which itself zigzags under the road. Boulders, marsh, bracken, water, tunnels (yes, bloody tunnels with waist deep fast flowing water in a couple of them and boulders under foot). We crossed the river maybe 30times in a 2 mile stretch. I did suggest to the RD after the race that he was either deranged or psychotic at the end of the race for thinking that was a viable route. Anyway, it was amazingly hard and fun and took a LONG time and a few bruises to get through it. A glance back up the pass picked out a team about 2 minutes behind so we pushed on. Back onto the road for a short stretch and then the final swim. 500m ish across Buttermere and we push on - we think it is the girls behind us and they are likely to pass us in the water but we know we are faster on foot than they are. Iain works really hard and stays on my toes to draft across the lake. The team behind only gain a minute or so and there is only 1.8k of trail along the shore line to go to the finish. We bound along the track and are maybe 800m from home when we are caught. It was the guys who were behind us and I stretch my legs out and drop them but Iain can't keep up. I get to the next gate and have to let them pass and wait for my partner. Ah well, 12 place is one better than we thought we'd get today!

A jog home and we cross the line delighted, 8hrs 35mins.
  • Lessons:

Swimrun is brilliant fun

Racing with a partner is great (small differences in speed seem large but taking it easy on sections allows you to soak up the event and enjoy it, plus he stopped me going off course 6times which would've seriously added time if I'd been racing solo)

Use hand paddles on the swim

The course from yesterday was stunning - there wasn't an inch of it that wasn't jaw droppingly beautiful

It is definitely on my list to do again next year

Apparently the 3 lead teams contained some internationals (top 3 were all Europeans).

Fun fact: the "race expo" consisted entirely of a recruitment table for UK Special Forces Reserves - that was a bit of a clue at the start as to how hard this would be. Brilliant.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That sounds terrifying, Slokey, but well done and a great report!

Today was this marathon build up's terrible long run. Ok, so I didn't pick an easy route and my legs were slightly sore from yesterday but 8.25s meant 20 today took longer than last week's admittedly flatter 21! Pfft.
  • Wow SJ - sounds great fun if you like the idea of getting into cold water at frequent intervals. I'd love to do some running up in the Lake District so with elder Lorenzito being just down the M6 as from October I can see a few weekends up there in future.

Belated congrats to Madbark for another stunning performance, and a cracking time on tired legs from Jools.

Yesterday marked the "official" start of my shortened (9 weeks) training schedule for Abingdon and it kicked off with a rather disappointing parkrun (I'm too embarrassed to share the time!) but today's hilly 11 miler was better. I need to start getting the mileage in, but clearly won't be jumping straight up to 50+ a week yet.

Thinking about next year's plans, has anyone (esp the North East crew) got any experience of the Race the Wall event (http://ratrace.com/thewall2016/)? Looks to be an interesting alternative to heading down to South Africa. image