Sub 3h15

Comments

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good weekend's work all; particular mention for BB's 3rd place and sub-3 on a hard course. Great stuff - hope you enjoyed the beers! Other notable long runs, speedy park runs, comeback miles... good to see some familiar faces popping back in as well after summer breaks of various descriptions.

Decent mixed sporting weekend here; 11.5 early Saturday, then another 2 or 3 running round the park chasing the MsA's on their bikes as they get used to riding without stabilisers. Usual 10 over stint in the afternoon before the rain arrived, and got out on the bike for an hour's undulating ride last night when the sun finally came out.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BI - be interested to see how you get on with the 12/55 plan as I think I'll probably adopt that for my next campaign, whenever it may be. Don't think higher mileage than that would agree with me.

• That's a good session to start the week Gul, could be just a blip on the Garmin if you know the 1 mile route is correct? The Autumn Shakespeare looks interesting, is round a race track?

Good target to have BikeIT and I wold imagine 12 weeks should be enough time given your endurance from earlier this year! I think my target running pace will be at least 9m/m if not a bit slower.

A good weekend there Abbers. I remember the same with my young lad, having to run by him without his stabilisers pretending to be holding on the the seatimage

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

KR - they're getting pretty confident now, but need to master use of breaks and general control before we let them loose on the roads! They're perfectly happy peddling away at what equates to easy run pace though, so some bonus miles for me and they get useful practice at the same time. Those of you with older offspring will have gone through this already, but I'm equally proud and terrified of the possibility that they'll soon be off for rides of their own!

6 easy miles at lunch in a relatively dry weather window.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Congrats to Badbark on the podium finish!  Sounds like you fought hard for that.  Great time.

Good to see you racking up those longer runs now, Bike It!  And that you have a marathon lined up. image

Gul - still a decent morning run. I failed to hit LT on my scheduled 12 w/7@LT yesterday but put this down to: (a) trying to run it on the back of my first 70 mile week; (b) a day after a scoffing a 7 course taster menu at Whatley Manor; and (c) slightly needing to do a poo.

Leslie - movement is movement. Well done on getting that done before the night shift!

Great monster miles from KR (who I think may have a hidden talent for ultras).

Frizzle - sounds like your training is going well.  Did those MRP - 10s miles feel comfy?

Speedy - am following your blog.  You poor thing image  I admire you achieving what you are given your circumstances.  You may surpise yourself at Chester?

6 recovery miles with the dog this morning picking blackberries and getting stung by the nettles in the process.  Will try for another 4 this evening once MrE gets home.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Before you know it Abbers, they'll be training for 100 mile sportives like eldest my lad! He was rubbish when he first learned how to ride (he was only 4 I suppose) but he's embraced it and is quite an impressive rider now.

Wicked skills BB, that's brilliant running and what a result. Well played Sir *doffs cap*.

Decent session Gul. My GPS measures short too so I run an extra 0.1 sometimes to make sure Strava and Garmin record the right distance.

Impressive miles KR.

Good luck with the 12 week campaign BI.

Had a great day at the Oval on Saturday. Probably had too many beers for a runner but it was slow and steady, a marathon not a sprint! One must maintain hydration, you know! image

Today was a lunchtime 7 as I begin to up the weekly totals from this week. Very humid conditions and a few long, slow inclines made it seem like hard work at times. 7.24 avg with no spectacular stuff to speak of.

GD

• KR - what??? I've missed something. What bonkersness is this?

• Stand out performance from Madbark - chapeau sir!!!

Good to see KR building up the mileage for a particularly lunatic event and Speedy throwing in some decent mileage as well.

Far too much detail from MsE!!!

A mixed weekend for me - 15 miles up and around Box Hill on Saturday represented my longest run for nearly 3 months but my legs felt pretty heavy from the get go so I was a bit surprised to average 8 min/mile pace.

I might have been suffering from something as I felt pretty sh!t and generally lethargic yesterday, and canned the recovery run and today's easy run. Will see how I feel tomorrow morning before making a final decision about hitting the roads.

Longer term, I'm having second thoughts about Abingdon in October - it's one of those marathons that it's only worth doing if you're in decent shape and I'm not confident I'll be in that position in 8 weeks so I may try and sell my place and go for another marathon in November. Ho hum.

• Yes Abbers, peddling with no stabilisers is one thing, stopping with brakes is another and remembering to put your foot down at the same time.

Running 6 miles & carrying blackberries is an interesting combination MsE. Are planning a homemade pie image

A good paced 7 miler G-Dawg, is that 1 mile per pint drunk yesterday?

Training for the Equinox 24 in September Speedy. Trying not to think too much about what I've signed up for!

Shame you are thinking twice about Abo Lorenzo, but I guess you know the indicators early on. Gul's Autumn Shakespeare looks a fast course?

10k recovery run tonight in a slow 8.43 m/m pace.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Apologies for the flying visit - I'll try and do the final (hopefully!) catch-up later. 14 miles this morning - 7 @ 8:46 m/m and 7 @ 7:59 m/m which is pretty much spot-on what I was aiming for image HR 142 avg 160 max.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Catch-up Part III (19th-25th August)
    KR - monster mileage! Sounds like you should be on good form for the 24 hour event. The 1 mile loop was just measured (like all my other running pre-GPS) on mapmyrun, but part of the route is obscured by trees. The Autumn Shakespeare is on a disused airfield and uses what I presume are the old runways. Already done the course in March for the Spring event and it was freezing!
    GD - nice track session - hot weather can make a big difference.
    PJF - good MP run and intervals too. Solid 21 miler too.
    Abbers - good turbo and tempo sessions plus MLR.
    MsE - welcome back - didn't see you in Cornwallimage Whereabouts did you stay? Cracking 22 miler. Hope you found more than 4 blackberries!
    Lorenzo - glad to hear you're still running in the woods. Sorry to hear you're having doubts about Abingdon.
    OO - excellent parkrun and 17 miler too.
    SJ - solid training.
    Leslie - after all the physio you'll come back stronger than ever.
    Jools - three MLRs on consecutive days - nice work!
    Badbark - congratulations - that a fantastic result! Sub 3 on a tough course and a podium finish. Well-earned too.
    Speedy - good 22 miler. Hope you're back on PB form sooner than you think.
    Bike It - Bloemfontein is the same day as Autumn Shakespeare then!

• Thanks to everyone for their shoe advice, reached the conclusion that Adi, Brooks, Saucony and Asics are the shoes of choice for a sub 3:15! Opted for another pair of Kayano in the end to compliment the Super J33 for faster runs, Marathon prep is going well so didnt want to jinx it.

KR - yes I have agreat track about 1000m from the front door, brannd spanking new state of the are facilities as part of a new high school so Friday is track day. 90 miles for you last week is very impressive indeed and a 3:38 marathon is execllent amongst that lot.

MSE - the last 7 on the 21m @ sub MP felt good, better than some of the harder sessions on this campaigns programme. you make 10m sound like a [pleasant jaunt!

GD - you are entering the best part of the training adding those LT miles to your base you will be feeling stronger every day.   

Another 10m with 6@LT this morning, more than the Doctor prescribed but feeling pretty good so why not. 

I left my copy of P&D on a BA flight a few weeks ago and decided to replace it today only to find out I should be in 'race tune up' metocycle rather than 'LT' so will need to make a few adjustments next week.            

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

The 7 course taster menu at Whatley Manor was definitely the highlight of MsE's post! Feeling hungry now.

PJF - sounds like you're going well. Nothing silly now to jeopardise things!

Lorenzo - sorry to hear of your woes, although that run over Box Hill suggests you're not in too bad a shape?

KR & Gul building nicely towards your respective goals.  

Sorry Speedy - obviously missed something over the last few weeks regarding health issues or injury? Hope it's nothing that's going to have a long term impact.

Persisting down at lunch, so decided to head to the gym for dreadmill intervals rather than getting soaked. 5x1k was the result, each in 3:55 (the wonders of mechanical pacing). Not stellar by the usual standards on here, but comes in at a 5k PB when stitched together, so will tick it off and move on.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Have been asked to play football tomorrow lunchtime, so have decided to warm up with a 10 miler tonight. image

Will take it easy as it will be my longest for a few months. A long stretching session will follow in an attempt to avoid injury tomorrow.
    Had a cracking core and strength session at the gym last night. Can feel the work around my torso. Sstarting to ramp up nicely.

GD

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Job done. 10 miles after work, didn't look at the watch, ran on feel 7.45 avg. That'll do.

GD

•  

GD - try and avoid doing a Rory McIlroy at the football 2 Moro 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PJF - I was going to ask if it was you who had said they were contemplating doing the Autumn Shakespeare, but as you're in the Race Prep phase that puts you at least 5 weeks ahead of me. Which marathon are you targeting? You're putting in some impressive training.
    Abbers - solid interval session on the dreadmill.
    GD - nice work.
    My right glute has given me the odd twinge during the last week and yesterday it flared up badly; I was hobbling around all day. Feels a lot better this morning, but as I only have a recovery run on the schedule, I've decided to rest today instead. In the words of Corporal Jones, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and G-Dawg - DON'T PANIC!

• Gul - off to Berlin 4 weeks on Sunday, .. you've still got plenty time, 80 or so days? I'm happy with training but then come on here and look at some of the crazy machine like mileage that people are churning out and wonder whether my little 60m weeks will be enough! Time to break out the foam roller for that glute. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

PJF - not sure if you've hit the magic sub-3.15 yet but 60 mile weeks aren't that 'little' to me!

I bagged 3.13 at Brighton this year. My two biggest training weeks were 45 miles (514 miles total across 17 training weeks).
    With all those miles in your legs on the pancake flat Berlin course you'll fly round. image

GD

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

GDAWG-do watch that football a guy I know broke his leg in 3 places last year playing a game with mates a few weeks before his mara and was out nearly a year image

PJF- consistent training is more important and 60 is a great number !

Gul-DON'T PANIC ! it will be fine but do take a couple of days out or it might not be  image

Physio today and well its another (up to) 12 weeks out for me with another extended ban on running image but we are starting strength training and squats and my tendinitis is almost gone so I can actually do the exercises now image Looks like its going to be a slow process ! but progress of sorts image patience was mentioned several times ,must see if I can borrow some image

• PJ Frizzle - a good marathon paced 10 miler there. I wouldn't worry too much about weekly mileage. Your 60 miles is a decent weekly amount and probably what i was doing back in the Spring. The actual sessions you do are more important than a weekly total. Good luck for Berlin - a fast course!

A good dreadmill interval session Abbers. Box ticked if it was 5k PB pace.

Hope your glute is more supple tomorrow Gul

Enjoy the football G-Dawg and stay on your feet.

Bad news on the physio trip Leslie. 12 weeks sounds a long time, but hopefully you'll be running again in time for Xmas.

10 mile tempo run last night which ended up @ 6.49 av pace.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I survived and I scored. GOAL!! image

Could feel the 17 miles form the last 2 days in my legs but still had more running than some of the regulars.

Great tempo KR

Sorry to hear about the extended running ban Leslie. make sure you log all the rehab for future reference, it can come in very handy for motivation should other injuries occur.

GD

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, GD.

I guess that's the best bad news, Leslie. Slowly getting there!

9 including club session last night. Off for a MLR once the athletics finished. Curious how my week off has coincided with that.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GD - nice 10 miler and interval session masquerading as football.

Gul - rest sounds like the sensible option in the circumstances. Don't panic indeed!

PJF - 60 mile weeks is not little. That's a significant training volume in my book, and certainly considerably higher than I'd contemplate.

Leslie - bad news about the continued lay off, good news that you can crack on with the strengthening exercises. Tendinitis is a bu88er.

KR - that's a decent session considering your focus has been on endurance.

Jools - can't imagine how that worked out. It's almost as if it were planned.

6 easy damp miles at lunch.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

BB, awesome sub3 effort untapered.

Gul, I hope it is nothing serious. Does it feel like a tight or knotted muscle? If so, I found that using a trigger point ball (or any small, hard ball) can do wonders. You put the ball under the tight spot and slowly lower your weight onto it until the tightness melts away. Worth mentioning anyway if that might help.

Lorenzo, sorry to hear your are in the weeds right now. I like sounds of a November marathon.

Leslie, that is a long road. Sorry to hear about the delay in returning to running, but positive that you are getting over the tendonitis. Hang in there.

That's as far back as I've been able to manage, but I assume I've missed other exciting events. Hope everyone else is healthy. I'm just back from my vacation. Got a nice week of fall-like weather and managed 75 miles. Sitting at 273 for the month so may have a chance to go over 300 for the first time. All systems good but for whatever reason my MP has plateaued, yet my HR at this pace is steadily dropping. Some of this may have to do with cooler weather, but not all. So kind of a mixed result. Either way, am very lean at the moment and seem to be coping with the higher than usual (for me) volume.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PJF - I'm sure you've put in plenty of miles.
    Leslie - patience isn't easy; hang on in there and it will be worth it.
    KR - very tidy tempo run.
    GD - nice work.
    Jools - sounds like you're enjoying your week off!
    VTr - stonking mileage. If your HR for MP is dropping are you gauging it by effort then?
    Glute was still not 100% yesterday although much improved and had a few pains around the coccyx so taking another rest day.

• VTr - just long grass rather than actual weeds but seem to have got back on the well mown bits now. Sounds like you're in good shape at the mo.

Gul - makes sense to take it easy. Hopefully you'll be back out there soon.

After a few days off to rest and recover, I managed to make it back out yesterday for an hour's plod through the mud followed by a faster, more tempo-like session this morning. Pace felt good, but was still a bit taken aback by the fact that in 40 minutes, my phone logged a run of, er, 16.5 miles. Suspect the GPS wasn't working 100% but I've dropped Mo a line to warn him about my form just in case it was accurate! image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - never mind Mo, Usain better watch out too! Glad to hear you're back out running.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

VTR - that's pretty big mileage; not surprised you're lean! MP plateauing may just be a result of a the larger training volume? A cut back or taper into an event, and you may find the pace picks up? Just thinking out loud.

Gul - sensible approach. Nothing to be gained by training through it and making it worse.

Lorenzo - the layoff obviously worked wonders! image

Found a 40 minute turbo window last night to back up the easy lunchtime run, and then a tempo planned for today, hopefully in somewhat drier weather than so far this week.

• Morning people...

VTR - top mileage there the HR drop is an interesting one. So you are running at your target paces but your HR is below your target threshold? maybe your in agreat place with training and can consider re assessing your pace / goals - I could be way off the mark here but it sounds like you are in a strong place and if there is an opportunity to push harder. There is a caveat to this - I know very little that I haven't read in P&D!

Abbers - keeping it going nicely and sounds like you are comfortable and enjoying running.

G Dawg - not cracked 3:15 yet but this is only my 4th marathon. Its encouraging to hear your 3:13 tale.

Leslie - sorry to hear about your extended running sabatical. You'll just have to spend more time in the gym getting buffed up!  

KR - strong tempo run there @6:49  

14m this morning focussing on HR... Avg HR was 142 and that resulted 7:30mm. Comfy..