Sub 3h15

Comments

• VTr the lean, mean, marathon machine. Good excellent monthly mileage.

Interested to know how many calories you burned too Lorenzo in your 16.5 miler.

Abbers, sounds like something from Dr Who "found a 40 minute turbo window"

Nice 14 miler there PJFrizzle and a good ace.

15 miles last nice at a steady 8.06 pace. A bit of a late one and didn't get back home till after 11pm.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PJF - 14 at 7:30mm being comfortable is a really good run. Looking strong.

KR - could be a useful invention, that! Just popping out to the garage to use my turbo window... I know you tend to do things the opposite to Gul and run a lot of your miles late, but even so, that's impressive dedication! All about fitting it in around work and life I know, but still. Well played.

6 at lunch with the middle 4 as a tempo run. Deliberately slower than last week as I wanted to make sure I did all 4 rather than cutting it short at 3, so the tempo section came out at 27:36 for a 6:54 average. Will build on that.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, hope you are feeling well enough to get out again tomorrow. Glad it is improving. And yes, have been doing these runs by effort as opposed to strict HR. Just felt I couldn't commit any more speed and maintain.

Lorenzo, nice rebound! Glad you are feeling better. Nice fast 16 miler.image

Abbers, really nice tempo run. I hope w/rest and taper I will get some speed back. Today was a good start (see below).

PJF, that was a really nice pace for such low HR. Well done. Also, I took your advice to push harder today (see below).

KR, more big miles at a great pace. Sometimes night runs are nice once you are out there.

So today did my second subLT session of the week (13.5M w/10 fast in middle). After hearing from some of you, I decided to push myself hard today and just see what would happen. The 10 faster miles averaged 6:45 m/m and felt very comfy. I just focused on good turnover and breathing and the rest kind of fell into place. Also, my HR was in the 163-167 range for the last 7 of these miles and felt good (Monday, I couldn't get above 154!). Was definitely not up to go round again at the end, but got through fine. If I can now replicate this in the remaining weeks I may have a chance to move up a gear for the marathon. Between now and Oct. 18 I have a very hilly 25K race (sept 7) and a 10K (2 wks before marathon). I did both last year so should give an indication of where I'm at. In general, I think I'm carrying a fair bit of fatigue in my legs week to week but that should be OK as I'm not breaking down and I think the adaptations should follow. Maybe today was a glimpse of improved fitness.

• Good paced tempo miles Abbers and a good one to build on.

VTrunner, an impressive 10 mile average pace there and even better that they felt comfortable. I think if you can knock that out with the fatigue in your legs it's a good sign of improved fitness. Just think if you had a bit of a rest and have bouncy legs!

10 miles tonight with 8 x 300m hill reps in the middle.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - well done slotting in the turbo session and nice tempo run.
    PJF - that's a cracking pace for what sounds like a low HR.
    KR - good late night steady MLR and nice hill work.
    VTr - sounds very promising.
    Rest day no 3. I am convinced that my problem is back related. Getting the usual muscle niggles which I get whenever I haven't run for a while, but lower back pain is more concerning. Just got to rest and hope I've not done any serious damage. I am prone to disc inflammation and on a number of occasions it has taken weeks to clear up...

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Leslie H wrote (see)

Physio today and well its another (up to) 12 weeks out for me with another extended ban on running image but we are starting strength training and squats and my tendinitis is almost gone so I can actually do the exercises now image Looks like its going to be a slow process ! but progress of sorts image patience was mentioned several times ,must see if I can borrow some image

Take heart. You have a definite timeline!  When I was out with my achilles injuries, I didn't have ANY timeline and it was a case of waiting for something that may never happen.  This is GOOD NEWS image

Some sound running from you all but notably from Frizzle (sub-3:15 beckons easily) and a commendably late one from KR.

Been quietly rolling out the miles and trying not to aggravate any historical injuries so putting the brakes on and doing lots of stretching and rolling.  I think I am suffering from lack of the usual yoga and pilates that happens when the kids are at school.  Thank goodness term starts next week!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

VTR - that tempo run of yours equates to my 10 mile PB! Super running. Looking forward to seeing how you get on in your upcoming races.

KR - you've certainly been putting the work in. Again, looking forward to your event in a few weeks.

Gul - worth going to see a physio?

MsE - Any events coming up? MrsA is also getting increasingly frustrated by the absence of exercise opportunities during the summer hols. Sounds like you're taking the sensible approach.

Rest day today. Something longer early tomorrow morning (probably around 12m), then the final league match of the season in the afternoon. Hoping the weather behaves for our finale, before our end of season tour next weekend.

• Sounds like there are alot of folks waiting for the holidays to end! 

Nothing much to report other than a gentle 4.5 mile run through the woods this morning and the pleasure of working from home which generally means more toast and less coffee consumed that when I'm in the office.

• Gul - take it easy on yourself.

MsE - it's a long break, back to normal soon

VTR - nice work

KR - strong once again

Track sesh intervals again this afternoon 7.5m done...some dodgy arithmetic meant I battered out 9 x 800 instead of 8 when i looked at the garmin. Consistent again with HR max at 182 and an avg 2:45 on the 800s into a stiff headwind on the finishing straight.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Bollox! Got made redundant yesterday. Happened before, 4 years ago. Bloody annoying doing the rounds of interviews and dealing with agencies. Running will be all over the place as there will be no routine for a while. Will really miss the track I've been using at lunchtimes. Might have to consider joining the local running club once I'm back in work.

GD

• G-Dawg - difficult to know what to say. Are you in the kind of industry where there are opportunities for short term contracts while you're looking for the ideal job? Fingers crossed for you.

Good set of intervals there PJF

Slightly later start than normal for my long run this morning - had picked a route that I thought was around 19 miles, but it ended up at 20.4 so I'll take that. Very undulating trip over to Leith Hill and back with a couple of nasty steep bits, but all good training.

Am transferring my Abo place as I'm definitely not in shape for a decent time in 7 weeks time, but the Phoenix Riverside Winter Marathon (starts in Walton-on-Thames) on 22 November looks to be a good one. Have we got an autumn marathon list yet? image

Very hopeful for a successful session in Beijing over the next hour

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Abbers-nice tempoimage

VTR- 10 @ 6.45 is going well !

KR-nice 10

GUL-take care with that back

MSE-agreed image and nearly back to school time again and normal running /yoga resumed.

PJF-fast 800's there .

G-Dawg-sorry to hear that 

Not much to report other that one legged squats give me severe doms in my bad leg only so that's as it should be   !image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

really sorry to hear that, GD - hope you soon sorted  . . . 

hope the niggle short-lived, Gul  . . . .

not much to report here - continuing to tick over, but 2 weeks since 16 miler, 5 since 20 miler.   35 this week with longest 10.  Parkrun y'day - interesting results

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Precision running or was it walking there Birch all crossed the line together
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

GD - I'm really sorry for you with your job issues.I hope you find something good soon. 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I've finally had a chance to write a report on the Donegal Marathon.

I'm running four marathons within a 9 week period and I have a goal to run all of them within 3 hours. Donegal was the first of these and being a hilly course and only having 7 weeks training after an 11 day drinking holiday, I knew it would be tough enough. The winner last year ran about 2:55 and was the only sub 3 so I thought I might have a chance of a podium place too.

I had run a 1:20:07 half marathon PB the weekend before so wasn't fully tapered. Typical Irish weather on the morning of the marathon with it absolutely chucking it down. It rained hard for over an hour before easing off and stopping completely by the time I finished. The rain kept us cool but I did end up with serious chaffing at the tops of my thighs that took about 4 days to heal.  Nasty.

There was a half marathon starting the same time following the same course for 13 miles. This was good in one sense as there were more people to run with but also meant I had no idea of my place. My plan was to run about 6:40 - 6:45 pace early on and see how I felt after 20 miles. I was going to decide then if I would push on hard or take it easy over the last few miles. Anything around 21 minutes per 5k would be good.

There were about 100 people in the marathon and 500 in the half marathon. At 9:20 am the race began and about 50 people began pulling away. We went through Letterkenny before turning back through the town and heading off west into the countryside for two big laps.

I completed the first 5k in 20:27 with an average HR of 143 and felt very relaxed. The next 5k split was 20:51 and there was a steady uphill section for about 5 miles before getting it all back in 2 miles. This wasn't great for the quads but I went through the next 5k splits in 20:44 and 20:40 and still feeling great.

My HR was averaging around 143 which was nice and low. I caught a guy who was running the full marathon and we ran together for a few miles chatting. Nice bloke. He started to drop back a bit and I continued catching the odd runner. I took a glance at their numbers passing as it was the only way I could see if they were in the half or the full marathon. I overtook two more full marathon runners over the next few miles

Just before half way my family were cheering me on and shouted I was in 4th place. I went through half way in about 1:28 with the next 5k taking 21:15. With the half marathon runners finishing the road completely cleared up ahead but I couldn't see how far I was behind 3rd place.

I reached 30k with a split of 21:26 and my legs were now feeling heavy. My breathing was controlled and my HR was about 142, but I was battling the negative thought demons in my head. Then on a straight section I saw a few runners away ahead in the distance. I timed when we both passed a parked van and discovered I was about 1:30 behind.

After a few more corners I started seeing more people that I was catching but then realised it was people I was lapping. Damn, it was going to be hard to know how far I was behind 3rd place. I didn't have the legs to push on too hard but was confident I could maintain my pace and hoped 3rd would struggle late on. I view a marathon as a 20 mile warm-up before a tough 10k race.

I ran another 21:26 5k split and passed my family again around 22 miles. They told me I was still 4th and on a straight could see two people about a minute ahead. We were running through Letterkenny which was not part of the earlier loop so anyone ahead was in the marathon.

After 23 miles I rounded a corner and saw the two people only about 30 seconds ahead. We were approaching a few tough hills which I actually looked forward to as I felt strong. I started dreaming of second place as I closed but noticed that one seemed to be coaching the

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

- that one seemed to be coaching the other.

I overtook them at around 24 miles and one indeed wasn't wearing a number so was just there to assist. They tried to stay with me but I ran hard up a hill and started pulling away. The final full 5k split was 21:29 which included the hills and my HR averaged 146.

My Garmin was off with the markers and I ended up recording 26.35 miles (42:40 km). I was running scared over the last mile which turned out to be my quickest of 6:27 m/m with HR averaging 151. I ran a lap of the track before crossing the line in 2:58:09 with my family going mental. My chip time was given as a nice looking 2:57:57.

My final average HR was only 143 which was 10 less than my 2:51 PB in London earlier in the year, so show's how much I was running within myself. It was the second easiest sub 3 I have run with the easiest being flat. Despite the hills I didn't suffer too much from DOMS the following few days. Although the friction burns in my upper thighs were much worse!

I was interviewed on the local radio and got to stand on an actually podium for one of the few times in my life. First and second finished in 2:38 and 2:42 so they were a different class.

That's my 22nd marathon (or longer) completed and I hope to add another sub 3 on September 13th. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    GD: hope you are lucky finding new employment soon!

Finished off my cut back week with 11M including the Avon relays. Notionally 5km, although apparently long last year and I think we did the same course this year. I was leg 3 with no-one to chase, so a solo tempo run of 19.07 had to suffice but it was enough to secure 1st team, 1st FV35 team and 5th fastest on the day (the standard overall dropping off quickly!).
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Nice report Badbark seem pics of the weather at the start and it was coming down alright !image

Jools-another 1st ..nice image

• Yep great report BB and you must be in good shape right now.

Joolska - well done to you and the team.

G-Dawg sorry to hear about the work situation, you've been there before so can get through it ok.

5m recovers yesterday and 18m LSR today. an early start 0510 as it was one of my boys birthdays and he wanted to go through to St Andrews for the day so needed to be ready to go by 0900. Took it easy avg HR was 129 and avg 8:40mm. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thats tough GD but you at least seem readh for what comes.

I am on a long w/end in Cardiff. Plodding along nicely. Enjoy the Bank Holiday

• Sorry to hear your bad news G-Dawg and hope you find something soon. Keep thinking positive.

Interesting parkrun result Birch. A group hug at the end?

Hope your rest had helped your niggles Gul.

Good over distance run lorenzo.

Great race report Badbark and good luck for your 4 marathon goal.

Nice solo/team 5k race Jools.

Uber mileage this weekend with a 24 hour training challenge. Started klwith 15.5 miles on Friday night at 11pm, got home just after 1 am and had a shower and some food, then off to bed for a 4.5 hour kip. Out at 7.15am and ran a 3.45.xx marathon (with a 0.3 mile warm down). I was planning to another run in the afternoon then evening but life got in the way and ended up going out just after 6pm and did another 18 miles. So scores on the doors was 60 miles in 22 hours and a total of 101miles for the week. Surfice to say today has been a rest day.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

KR-that is proper mileage in 22 hrs and a very big week  !image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Realised I forgot to congratulate Badback on a brilliant race report.

KR: wow.  That's huge mileage - nearly a week's worth for me in 22 hours!

Just a couple of recovery runs for me today, although glancing out of the window I'm not really looking forward to this morning's.  High risk of shoaming.

• Well done BB on a great result and podium experience image

Great first place Jools!

Sorry to hear about the extended lay-off Leslie - healing vibes coming your way. Hope yours is nothing to worry about Gul.

Looking good PJF and VTr!

Some strong looking campaigns are building up very nicely.

Week away in Crete for me with a bit too much eating and drinking and a bit too little exercise (4lbs increase in weight!). Hit a couple of really good sessions on the gym tready of about 9miles each with lots of quality and an early morning moonlit / dawn 10mile run yesterday along the beach. I think the speed is coming now but I need to hit the bike in parallel to get my cardio volume back up a tad I think. Onwards!
  • Sorry to hear your news GD. Keep trucking on with the training - I think maintaining some routine amongst the upheaval can only be a positive thing. Good luck with the hunting.
  • Great report and podium badbark and silly miles from KR there. Is there a bigger plan somewhere there?

End of August so monthly figures. 160.9 miles in 20:54:33 so an average pace of 7:48 and 1,418.16 miles so far in 2015. July and august are always low months for me as I have family holidays and cut back so I effectively miss a few weeks. Should now be a solid patch of base building leading up to the end of the year and then campaign for London 1016 starting in early 2016.

I am pacing Maidenhead Half at 1:40 next Sunday so did 10 at that pace today on the Thames Path and it felt comfortable even on the off-road surface. I have a 10 miler and half in October and November so the build up looks nice.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Jools - Congrats on the team 1st!

PJF- Nice early LSR. Happy Birthday to junior!

KR - Amazing mileage, well done. It's looking good for the 24 hr.

SJ - Only gaining 4lbs on hols in great result! Well done getting plenty of runs in.

PMJ - Good mileage and pacing practise run.

It's only 8 days since the marathon but my legs felt surprisingly good this morning. It certainly makes a lot of different to recovery when you run a marathon at 90% effort rather than flat out.

My planned 15 miler with 5 at MP+10% ended up a bit quicker. Feeling good I progressed the effort throughout running the first 5 averaging 7:45 pace, the next 5 averaging 7:20 with the last 5 at 7:11, 7:08, 6:54, 6:46 and 6:26 m/m pace. 

August has been a good running month with 247 miles total at an average pace of 7:30. This included my first 3000m track race, 2x Parkruns including a course PB, 2x half marathons including a PB and a sub 3 marathon. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great report of Donegal mara, Badbark - congrats- severe chafing sounds painful !