Sub 3h15

Comments

• Paced Maidenhead Half for 1:40 this morning and came in at 1:39:56 and pretty much spot on the mile markers to within a second or so. Very easy indeed: just need to do it all again in London but double the distance and 46 seconds a mile faster.

• Good running everyone.

last 21m on the campaign this morning decided that it should be a proper LSR - so returned a 2:54 with a comfortable 132 avg HR. 

Thats me had my highest ever mileage week at 65, respect Joolska @ 70 with 7 weeks to go. 

• Good long runs nailed by PJF and Jools today, together with some impressive pacing from PMJ.

Sounds as though you're getting back into it BI. What did you say your next marathon is?

Very pleasant running conditions this morning so went out with a mate for a shade under 10 off road miles to bring me up to 60 for the week.

All good fun. image

• 24 for me, and that's my last proper long run done for Chester. I died a death in the last mile for some reason. It's not like I've had a big mileage week. 45 in total thanks to missing 3.5 days midweek due to going into hospital for a minor procedure (10 minutes long!). The GNR is next weekend and I'm bricking it. I have only done one HMP session and it was a fail/abort type of affair. I lack mileage, I lack speed and I have an abundance of excess weight. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Hey Speedy!  You just saved me posting an update on me except I've not done the long run and have sprained my ankle (again) image  The way I look at it is I am just happy to be alive and running (when I am not nursing a sprained ankle).  Life is never perfect but it is far closer to perfect for some of us lucky ones than others.  

5 weeks to York for me. A week to the Bristol HM.  I am doomed.

• Some good runs going on this weekend.

I'm planning on running Bloemfontein in 10 weeks Lorenzo.  So plenty of time for lots of good training.  I've been training for speed with modest volume at around 55km per week until now.  Time to continue with the speed and ramp up the volume.

• Impressive (proper) long running.

Speedy and MsE - you are both quality athletes so I'm sure you'll be able to pull something extra out of the bag. (Hope the ankle recovers quickly).

Lovely 2hr ride around the coast this evening - stunning views with the sun going down reflecting in the bay. Amazing. Also bought a new bike image Hopefully be able to pick it up tomorrow. It was on sale so it was therefore a bargain, honest.
  • And it has electronic gears! How sexy is that?
  • Birch- nice sub 20 at last from your daughter image

Slokey- nice 9 miler hurt fest 

Kr- good park/long run.

BI-10 weeks is loads a time image

Lorenzo-1 in 5 sounds like a cliff !

PMJ-great pacing 

PJF-nice 21.

Jools-7 weeks wont be long now !

CC2-it will be fine .image

MSE-sorry to hear about the ankle.

Slokey- electric gears is not what you want its electric motors attached to the wheels image

2k Fun run with my daughter today who just turned 8 and it was fun image ,was my first run in about 13 weeks and last for a good few more but as MSE says happy to not be dead image

• Is this a new thread motto?

"Happy not to be dead"

Catchy!
  • Nice running over the w/end folks.

MsE - Good outlook!

Leslie - Nice to hear that.

OO - 1:22 sounds doable to me knowing your quick pace and race management. Good luck with it.

Track session for me tonight as I had my boy and he can kick the ball around and cheer me on, while I get some miles in. Happy days.image

1 mile w/up and 5 x 800m. Reps weren't fast at all but fairly consistent, 3:00, 3:00, 2:57, 2:56 and 2:55 with 90 second recoveries. 1 mile w/d and job done. There is a 5k race on Tuesday night that I am tempted to do. Sub 19 would be nice but not sure if I'm quite there yet.

• SJ - Run or die!image

• Slokey, I think you'd need more than 1 beer after that amount of swimming! Good time on feet on the fells as well.

Good hilly long run Lorenzo, I agree regarding the pace and watch. When you aren't bothered about the pace you run to feel more.

Nice early long run there BikeIt with the MP section too. A good confidence booster.

Great long run and weekly mileage Jools. Are you going for a 3 or 2 week taper this time round?

A well paced run PMJ to the letter! Did you get many in your group running with you all the way?

And likewise too PJFrizzle, a good LSR and weekly mileage. Keeping it consistent is the name of the game.

A proper long run there Speedy. You have got the endurance and the speed and I think you'll be surprised once you have number pinned on your vest what you can achieve next week.

Bad news with the ankle MsE, are you bandaged up & taking ibuprofen? Fingers crossed you get back to training soon. I guess it will be a shorter taper for you for York?

Nice set of 800m reps GM - go for the 5k dude!

• Last league race of the year today and our Club organised 10 mile race. I'm on the race committee (as I designed & built the race website jf10.co.uk), so it was an early start meeting at the registration hall to put up signs and help hand out race numbers & chips. I managed to get a 1.5 mile warmup before the race, but to be honest didn't have much time to actually have a race plan.

Started off a bit further back than usual and was holding back a bit in the first mile (6.18 - a bit too quick I thought?)) and then the first on the hills came and I relaxed into a bit of a slower pace (6.40). The course is a big loop and undulating except for the first and last 2 miles which are on the same road. As I got to the 3rd mile I was feeling quite good and was overtaking the odd person up some of the hills, and was surprised to see the next few miles go by in the low 6.20's. I was waiting for the moment when it all started to feel too much and that energy draining feeling, but to my surprise I was fine and feeling strong. I was then getting a few 6.19 miles and knew a PB was on the cards. The last big hill was mile 7 and thought I'd probably drop 10 - 20 seconds, but luckily it was only 6.26.

The last mile is always a long one, but I couldn't believe how I was still gunning for it. We turned off the road and into a football pitch for the last 300m on grass for a last mile of 6.13 and I crossed the line in 63.50. A PB of over 1 and a half minutes. Just gutted it wasn't a half marathon as I could have carried on for a few more miles. MartinH did really well to0 and got under the hour in 59.30.

Went out late tonight and did another 13.1 miles really slowly to top up the mileage to take me up to 80 miles for the week. 2 weeks of taper till race day for the Equinox24.

• Kr-cracking pace for a 10 miler..
  • SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    And it has electronic gears! How sexy is that?

How do those work? I saw a few on the TV on the Vuelta and I can't see imagine how electronic items weigh less (as they must be pretty chunky do move real things) and work better than a cable.

SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    Is this a new thread motto?

"Happy not to be dead"

Catchy!

I am thinking of "Oh, he used to post here and now he is winning races." I guess most people know race Jase won a hilly marathon as a training run a week or so ago in 2:47 and Pete Thompson (who won the ASICS sub-3 place for Paris a few years ago) won the Maidenhead Half yesterday.

knight rider wrote (see)
    A well paced run PMJ to the letter! Did you get many in your group running with you all the way?

Very few all the way round. We had a bunch of maybe 20 who followed us pretty much all the way to 11 or 12 miles and then they moved ahead and finished closer to 1:39 than 1:40 (the course is maybe a bit easier over the last 2 miles and we were running dead even pace). At that stage we rounded up anyone who was close and pushed another 10 or so under 1:40. Oddly, I also knew quite a few people who started ahead of us (there were two of us pacing 1:40) and ran the whole way ahead with the intent of not letting us by, so we paced them as well but only indirectly.

• Excellent work PMJ. I'll report back on the gears later if I get to pick it up later.

Great racing KR. You are obviously in fine shape. Really good website too!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

morning all

good long running, Jools, Speedy . . . .

90 sec is a big pb, KR, so well done - and kudos due for your fortitude in adding another 13.1 late(r) in the day 

"happy not to be dead" - good phrase, another way of saying  "good to be alive" - Leslie & Gerard examples of this combining running with the pleasure of nippers' company. I guess our running (to a greater or lesser extent, depending on own circs), demonstrates we're alive, even if we don't feel like it, say at the end of a marathon, or 2 to 3 mins into a 5K ! For me, even though I'm now VoGit +1 (b'day a week or so ago) - and (obviously) much slower in absolute terms than I used to be, I'd sooner be wearing lycra than a beige cardigan .

• Yes, it certainly is good to be alive! You only need to read or listen to the news to put things into perspective.
    Some good long runs this weekend. Special congrats to Birch's daughter on the sub 20 and to KR on the sub 60 PB! Sorry to hear about the sprained ankle MsE - hope it heals quickly.
    Shame about the Newark Castle marathon selling out, especially as Mrs GD was very positive. My back was not good on Saturday but has improved again already. I might even get to try a test run later in the week, although there is still the furniture to move back...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the PB KR, sounds like you worked hard for it. 

Nice long run Jools, and you too Speedy though you seem less satisfied with your form. Might see you in the start pen for GNR.

I had  an 18.44 parkrun followed by a staedy 14 miler yesterday. I'll be tapering this week so not much to report.

• Hi all, back from the alternate reality that is our end of season tour to Devon, and trying to adjust to normal life again!

Some top running over the weekend from the thread. Long runs, parkruns, swimming, all sorts going on. Particular mention for PMJ's metronomic pacing duties, KR's excellent 10 mile PB and the advent of the "run or die" catchphrase. Healing vibes to MsE's ankle too.

Managed to fit in a 9 miler early on Saturday morning as I was awake well before I thought I might be, so got it done and was back at our accommodation ahead of schedule, so didn't take on the parkrun. Yesterday was a rest day out of necessity, but back to it today with an easy 6.

• KR - That's a very nice shiney new PB, well done. I am sure all the others will fall soon too should you race them. I knew you would run well. Well done!image

• Sounds a well judged pacing exercise PMJ, consistently consistent!

Good park run 0052 backed up with a steady 14 miler.

Thanks GM

Like the way you fitted in your run there Abbers.

Liking the “run or die” mantra. I guess that would have been true in prehistoric times!

• KR, beautiful 10 miler there. I had a 5 miler a couple years ago like that…waiting for the other shoe to drop but you just keep cranking. Preserve that memory into the long  term memory banks!

Gul, healing vibes heading over to you.

Run or die, eh? Well, not dead yet. After that not-so-good 11 miler Friday, I had a much better pair of 8 milers Sat and Sun. Symptoms much improved and just starting to get a little tight near the very end of those runs. Today skipped the race as it would have been too tempting to go for it on the hills. But got a nice 11 miles in w/out any trouble. So am feeling optimistic. Will keep the core work going as think late last week the new demands of it were mixing with the running and healing. Now feel like things are getting into balance. Fingers crossed that this is what's happening anyway.

• Good news VTr!

The new bike is fantastic. Really agile and wants to be thrown into corners. Super light and picks up speed really quickly. Big step up from my old road bike. The gears a bit ambitious for the "local hills vs my puny legs" ratio but a new cassette will sort that out. Electronic gears are really cool. Near silent and very rapid gear change. Battery is hidden in the seat post and it has a USB style charge socket just under the handlebars with a charge needed every 1200miles or so. And it's still clean!
  • VTR - sounds like a good decision to give the race a miss, and a decent weekend of training instead.

SJ - the wonders of modern technology! Sounds like there could be some chunks of time coming off your rides.

Bit of an interval session at lunch, 4x800 as part of a 6 miler. Came out at 3:02, 2:55, 2:56 and 2:56, so pleased enough, but still coughing which restricted me a little as I would have liked to have done a couple more. Still, pace is OK if I can get a bit fitter.

• Good session Abbers.

9miles for me inc 5x1mile at 10K pace off 4min recoveries.
  • VTr - Sounds positive.image

Abbers - Nice sesh there!

SJ - That bike of yours sounds very fancy. 

5k race for me tonight on the north coast in sunny but windy conditions. The course itself is and out and back on some undulating climbs. It was my first 5k in nearly a year and I was really looking forward to it. I do love a good hard 5k run. I set off with the intention of running around 6:10mm pace and was hoping to keep it steady and finish strong. It felt hard from the off and I found myself in no man's land after about 1/2k. There were 4 runners ahead, 3 of whom are much quicker. I tried desperately to keep close enough to runner #4 but I know he is very strong up the hills. Got to halfway in 9:40 feeling ok, cranked it up a bit for a 1k and was gaining on #4, or so I thought. It was very windy on parts of the course and my legs kind of seized up just after the 3.5k mark. #4 pulled away on the hills again, damn it. I was feeling a bit wobbly now partly due to not eating enough earlier and the effort levels into the wind and up the climbs. Tried desperately to catch #4 in the last k but he was too strong for me and a 3:40 last k saw me come home in 19:04. Could I have found those 5 seconds tonight, I think I could have but it might have killed me. So I remembered one of the thread's new motto's, Run or Die, not both, so I chose to run a bit slower and not die! image

• Good race report Gerard and good time on what sounds like a tough course / conditions.

SJ good session, fast - are you going to be the next Dumoulin on the bike?

Abbers, good intervals especially when youre not 100%

VTR good progress fingers crossed it holds up

00 hope the taper is going to plan

8m with 5@LT tonight, 7 recovery in the morning.