Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PJF - I meant to say, yes, Jersey is a lovely place to live and the kids here are blessed, as are us grown ups! Nice to see you back to it and good news re your daughter, not sure about the boys dismembering queen bees though!

• Options
    XC season all ready? Crikey.

Well done to all the racers (especially the VOGIT!)

On the home front, the injury has not abated. Haven't run now for 4 weeks and have now even got off the bike for a few days in a last ditch attempt to settle the injury down.

On the plus side I had an all clear from a stomach endoscopy yesterday (very uncomfortable) organised worryingly rapidly after a visit to the GP earlier in the week. A bit of health stress puts it all into perspective so I'm a happy bunny.

Race is in 2 weeks! All bets are off in terms of time but I'm going to enjoy it all the same.
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great work at the XC today Birch, with a cracking time - the last time I did XC was at school! 

Sounds like you're recovering well PJF. Interesting duo of pastimes from the junior PJFs - the 28 minute Park Run being the standout, of course.

Hope that you continue to recover OO, although an 18:48 5k is a good sign. How was the 16 miler?

14.3 + 900 feet ascent for me today. The furthest I've run since Sept 15. Hip was fine to start with, sore between 6-8 miles, then fine again; and only a tiny bit stiff now.
    In other news, my eldest son (27) ran at York today. A footballer at heart, he followed Bruce Tulloh's sportsman's schedule to finish in 3:37, so we've just finished a celebratory meal.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

X post there Slokey. Glad all ok with your stomach...and I agree with you about the perspective bit.
    Hope your emergency injury abating tactics pay off

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great effort at the XC Birch.

Good run there Fishy, especially the hills. I also have a pal who ran York in 2:57:50 today. Sadly that means he steals my crown as club marathon champion this year image

Welcome Meadower- stick around and you will indeed improve, as we all have.

17 miles here today, nice and steady and claws me to a 38 week. Not bad, all things considered. I have 2* 10 milers in the next months month, Derwentwater 10 in 2 weeks then Brampton to Carlisle 2 weeks later, so I'm desperate for a better weeks training.  

• Options

Fishy - that's a good outing there, distance & climb. I was speaking to a Yorkshireman on Thursday and he recommended York. We also had a nostalgic chat about birthday celebrations in BB's... My aunt lived in weatherby that seemed to be the go- to pizza place of the time!

Meadower - meant to say in the last post. That's a really strong HM off the back of Berlin. I didnt even enter as it was only a week later. Your pattern is almost identical to mine. last year I ran Edi in 3:21 then GSR in 1:26 worked on building a strong base over winter / spring then moved onto the P&D sort of 55-70 mpw schedule and it did the job in Berlin. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

in other news Junior OO ran her first race for Sheffield Uni, coming 2nd lady in the Senior ladies XC in Rotherham (South Yorkshire league). 1st lady was also a fresher on her team so I'm pleased to see she will have lots of competition to pull her on this year. 

• Options

Gul, , OO52, Lorenzo - Thanks for the welcomes; solid XC run as well, Lorenzo.

Birch - Hello!  Nice report too, it really can be the mini-goals within races that help dig out that extra ounce of performance.

PJF - I ran Paris this year & met a lot of the posters, so I like to stick around the thread.  I'll go back one day, but there are so many races to do!  Your schedule sounds good to me; one thing I know I need to do is increase my mileage to help get the job done. (Also, you must be one happy Dad with that daughter of yours!  I won't mention the other one...)

GM - Good news on the shoes front, phew.  Great to hear your friend's enjoying her running exploits, well paced!

I was at XC in Peebles today, a relay.  My first since school, and a bit of a shock to the system.  It was only 4k and all over in 15:44, but the hills...oh the hills!  I was third of four legs and made up 8 or so places, and pretty pleased with that.  

GM - Short term, it's the first XC League meeting in Stirling next Saturday (8K) and then off for the Beachy Head Marathon in a fortnight.  That will be an exercise in getting round and enduring more evil hills.  Then a 10K in Edinburgh the week after...I haven't been kind to myself with this schedule image.  For next year, Loch Katrine half in March will be my tune-up for Brighton providing I'm quick enough to secure an entry; it's a popular one.  

• Options

Birch -getting faster then image

Meadower-nice mara time and your half is same as mine (1:27 ) Plenty of speedy types on here for sure hang around and I'm sure you will be one of them

PJF-no plans looking forward to a slow and steady start no point planning any races as I ain't even running yet ! Focus will return I'm sure especially if it doesn't hurt as much this time.image

0052- now you know what time you need to beat next year get cracking  and claim that bling image

slokey- good news on the health front even if still injured.A runner at work died last week(cancer only found out 8 weeks previous), 47 he was ! makes you think doesn't it.

Fishy -well done to the youngun.

• Options

Lorenzo LOL! Good weekend of running and cinema going.
    GM - good to hear you're recovering nicely.
    Birch - great performance in the XC.
    PJF - Sorry, you've lost me there! Marginal or step gains in what?!
    SJ - pleased to hear you got the all clear - just hope the ankle plays ball before your race.
    Fishy - good MLR with what sounds like a lot of ascent to me! Good running at York by your son.
    OO - hope you can get some decent training in over the next few weeks. Great running by junior OO.
    Meadower - that sounds like a great return to relay racing - well done.
    12 miles this morning. 6 @ 8:26m/n and 6 @ 7:47 m/m. Came home to find daughter #2 printing some homework from the laptop so a bit late posting!

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Welcomer Meadower - that's a very respectable HM time - I'm sure you'll be able to convert it to an improved marathon time.

Nice to hear the tales of XC and good parkruns - particularly Gul's consistency.

Good news it's nothing serious SJ healthwise.

I'm continuing with training, but struggling.  Friday's 11km at LT session had to be run at MP, as I couldn't go any faster and had to take a rest stop. Sunday's LSR was a progressive struggle from 10km onward - pain in the hips and feet that made me slower and slower and had to stop with 4km to go for a rest from the pain - took the shortest route home in the end but still 30km due to the route.

I've just ordered new shoes as that is probably some of the problem - heat is another as Friday's session was still at 24C.  I'll just keep going I suppose as I already took as rest to get over this.  To compound my difficulties I have misplaced my Garmin charging cable, but that might be a good thing

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Welcome to Meadower - you sound pretty speedy already with that HM time, so plenty of advice around here that will help you get quicker still.

Nice XC from several, long runs and the usual impressive parkrun times. But most of all, great to hear Slokey's health scare was unfounded. I know exactly how worrying that can be! Sorry to hear BI is struggling too; sometimes I think gadgets put too much pressure on every run. Might be good not to run with one for a while.

You know, for all the good running does, I sometimes flippin' hate it! Yet another near miss in Oxford yesterday, 1:32:50, on target at half way and faded badly. So that's boosted my already considerable collection of HM finishes in the 1:30-1:35 range, and sub-90 looks as far away as it ever did.

However, it's not all bad. There was a time that would have really annoyed me and I would have been grumpy about it for ages. But yesterday, that was as much as I could squeeze out on the day, and my legs feel suitably mashed today, so don't think I could have pushed much harder physically. From about mile 9 onwards I was also giving very real consideration to just stepping off the course, so actually quite pleased I stuck it out and finished; there was a stage where I didn't see the point in another near miss, and had to battle the inner demons.

Not for the first time, I've come to the conclusion I don't race enough to get stronger, and need to run longer tempos, or I'm forever going to be stuck in the same zone. But running's my 2nd sport, so not sure I'm ever going to be dedicated enough to get the times I'm perhaps capable of with more/better training. 451 out 6216 of overall, 50th old bloke. Enjoyed some time in Oxford with the family afterwards though, Italian for lunch and then the natural history museum, so all in all, a good day image

• Options

Good running by many and I am seriously missing the cross country. I used to run a league that ran 5 monthly races from October to February and once  a month is about right. Now I run in a league that starts 15th Nov and has done 8 races by 7th Feb so the start is 3 races in 3 weeks!, then a week off and 2 more for 5 in 6.

Club race yesterday which is a club only event just short of 9 miles so big gaps were always likely. Went out at a hopeful pace and (6:15 for the first mile) and ended up in the lead bunch of 7 but after one of the two laps it was obvious 7th was where I was likely to end up so took the pedal of the gas for the last few miles and was beaten in a sprint finish by some youngster coming out of nowhere. Anyhow, useful indicator for a 10 mile race next Sunday: don't start with a 6:15.

• Options

Ha ha Gul - from blood doping!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good news on the health front, SJ - quite a relief, I imagine
    nice 14, Fishy, and well done to your son . . .
    good early 12, Gul 
    well battled, Abbers - those voices can be very insistent, can't they ?
    sorry to hear of your struggles, BikeIt - hang in there - you'll come through . . .
    Friz - good parkrunning by your daughter - btw, you said "Good running for an old guy Birch, " - have respect for your elders image  - 8 recovery miles this morning . . .

OO - fine 17, and excellent debut by your daughter - same series as mine - next race is actually in the city,at Graves Park, where Ron Hill won the English National title in 1966 . . . . 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Not the result you wanted but a good post race outlook and sounds like you had a nice family day. Well done for not giving in to those inner demons.

Fishy - Nice run and well done to your son.

Gul - Good early 12. Please remind me what race you are targetting now?

Meadower - Nice relaying! That's a busy schedule you have there. Beachy head sounds nice but really tough! So Brighton is your big race for next year then? I am struggling to decide what to do next Spring. There is another marathon here but it's a hillier course than the October one and I reckon about 10 mins slower so I won't be doing that one!

OO - You did well there to cram the mileage in.

SJ - Good news!

PMJ - 64 mins or thereabouts would get you 78% WAVA. Is that the target or quicker? No real 10 mile races here only a 9.7 that is called a 10 miler.

• Options

Well done on the Parkrun Gul.

Great 5 mile XC time Badbark. You'll dusting off that footie song/anthem from back in the 80's, When your man gets the ball.

Welcome to Meadower - stick around

Good to get back to the XC Birch well done.

Was thinking of doing my local XC legaue race yesterday, but decided after not running since my op and XC race would not be a good idea!. 14 miles slow &  naked (no garmin) yesterday and impressed by the amount of blue & white Agrentina wigs there were going to  the Rugby world cup yesterday.

• Options
    GerardM wrote (see)

PMJ - 64 mins or thereabouts would get you 78% WAVA. Is that the target or quicker? No real 10 mile races here only a 9.7 that is called a 10 miler.

No definite plans for a time yet. Mid 60s sounds right but it is also a club champs event so I may have a tactical run which means picking out who in my club I can beat and pacign it to beat them.

• Options
    Hi and welcome Meadower!

Abbers, at least you are consistent! Maybe your training needs one of Poacher's grenades.

Are you in need of more rest BI? Hope you get a bounce back soon.

Today's taper news: Walk with the dog this afternoon. Ate 2 pieces of fruit pie after dinner.
  • Options

Birch, nicely done in the return. Only 3 to go now!

SJ, ouch. Glad you got the all clear but too bad about the injury. You gonna do 26.2 regardless? I ask as you'll see below I'm struggling with my situation (for Sunday's marathon).

Abbers, been there. Well done for hanging in and pushing on. Sometimes I feel like you do...seems racing yourself into shape can be quite successful (think OO, and his fast daughter...congrats to her!).

PMJ, nice pacing strategy planning thereimage

So my dilemma. I think the 10K last week followed the next day by a 17 miler might have done me in. My pain in the core region has turned a corner since then. Despite many fewer miles this past week, I had some considerable pain/tightness during my P&D style 13 miler Sunday. It's pain right where lower abdominals meet the pubic bone so may osteitis pubis (which reads like horror story to recover from). Will see my Fizz tomorrow and we'll see what's what. So frustrating as I've done all my training and am 6 days away. Outcomes are 1) enter race and get injured w/out finishing, 2) finish race but majorly exacerbate injury (which might be OK if PB!), or 3) finish and recover from injury post-race like I had intended (w/out a major blow up of injury due to race). I want to protect what I have (and run Boston in the spring) but really want to see what I have this weekend too. This is the not so fun part of the sport we all seem to encounterimage

• Options

I guess I didn't mention the 4th option (scrap race), which I hope to avoid.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the history lesson Birch, I'll pass it on to junior.

I'd love to scrape a 50 mile week. Derwentwater has an long hill climb so I'll also need to factor that in. I've run it previously in 61 mins but would settle 63 at the moment.

• Options

VTR - best speak to the experts but I like your option 3. But if the fizz advises otherwise then from what you are saying Boston is your real goal, this is just a tune up, to prove to yourself that you are fast Or improving, I had something similar about 8 weeks ago and thought I had either a hernia or testicular cancer! But it seemed to fade on its own, different to your situation I suppose.

SJ - get in there on the taper munching

Birch - just teasing, I don't want to push it too far in case you lay down the gauntlet!

PMJ - some great running, what are you going to follow by way of a lan for you spring sub 3?

Abbers - you gave it everything then it was a great result regardless of your time. Sounds like you know what you need to do if you want to get faster but love your other sport. This year I quit golf for the same reasons, no way I could put what was required into the mara prep, play golf and remain married! 

Bike It- hope you are okay?

Leslie - what are you doing to keep in shape?

Right ... After some advice for Spring marathon... Should it be Paris or Manchester? I'm not 100 % mind made up yet, so any experience would help. And .... Was speaking to a mate who is a more experienced runner than me and another pal both of whom stop their watch at 26.2m and record that as their mara time. my view was that you go with chip time and if you run more than 26.2 then it's you own doing...Any thoughts???

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Graves Park - heard many stories about that from Granma - that was a common place to go for my grandparents, along with bike rides from Sheffield to Crewe and back in a day.

Well done Abbers. Disappointing, but you seem to have taken it well. It's faster than my HM PB anyway....

Take care VTR - a difficult situation. All your training has been good until this core problem. I'd see the fizz and wait to race morning before a final decision if anything is uncertain.

A bit early for carb loading SJ? I decided against extra rest days and have decided on a ' nutritional' strategy to recovery myself, aka stuffing myself

Unfortunately I found the Garmin charging cable ( behind my stereo strangely).
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VRr -Fingers crossed you are gonna be ok. Hope so, as you have been going very well, but as you say, Boston is a big one! Good luck and keep us posted.

PJF - I am also wondering what to do. I believe entry for Paris is still open but is Manchester? Re the timing thing - Garmin's/GPS watches are not 100% accurate and I always factor in about 1% error. All 3 I have run have ranged between 26.4 - 26.45 which seems about right to me but then each watch can wary also. I have a few mates who have relied on their watches too much only to find out that with a mile or so to go they were never gonna make the target as the watch was out with the mile/km markers. One guy I know ran 3:00:03 and he thought he had it in the bag with a mile to go. Similarly another friend ran 3:15:1x and she said the same. Ouch or what!

• Options

Hoope you get back on track soon SJ

Still a good time Abbers for your half in Oxford. Sometimes it just doesn't happen on the day, I think we've all been there. But at least you at looking at it positively. Maybe look at getting your 10k time to help with the half marathon time. I remember spending 8 weeks back to back doing 5 x 2k reps every week (could only manage 4 the 1st week). Really helped with the speed endurance and eventually got me sub 90 minutes.

A bit of a dilemma there VTrunner. I guess the fix will give good advice & guidance. I would take it easy this week and race as intended & planned.

PJFrizzle / GM - I've run both and enjoyed them both (for different reasons). I first went sub 3.15 in Paris and have PB'ed twice in Manchester since. Manchester is a good flat course and well supported throughout with a big field of runners, you are never really on your own. The race also double backs on itself so you get to go past other runners and get to see the leaders storm past too!

Went on a tester run tonight to see if I'm up for a marathon at the end of the month and it went well and no pain in the groin area. 9 miles in total with first 2 steady, then 5 miles @ 6.36 av pace, then 2 steady home. So entered the Leicester marathon when I got backimage Not sure how it will go as I've had 4 weeks made up of recovery from the 24 hour race, then a gentleman's operation last week, so hardly the best preparation!

• Options

Bike It - no idea how you manage to train at all in that kind of heat! Hope the new shoes sort out the niggles.
    Abbers - I can feel your frustration. Another good effort and well done on finding the positive.
    PMJ - enjoy the XC season.
    PJF - d'oh! What a dope. Never run Paris or Manchester so can't help there, I'm afraid. I'm sure KR has done both so maybe he's the man to ask! I would say a measured course should be more accurate that a garmin. And there's KR with his answer!
    Birch - that's a long recovery run!
    GM - good question! Hoping to find a better option than the Spring Shakespeare, but struggling.
    KR - good MLR. And good news on the test run. You'll probably PB in Leicester!
    SJ - fruit pie image
    VTr - really sorry to hear that after all your excellent training. See what the fizz says.
    OO - Sounds like a tough race.
    9 miles with 3 x 1M this morning - 6:28, 6:24, 6:27.

• Options
    VTr, injuries eh? I wonder how good we could all be without them... I'm still going to run and run it hard. I doubt it will end well but this is marathon number 15 (including IMs and ultras so that must give me a bit of resilience. Plus, I may as well turn up since I've paid for flights etc.

In your position I'd spend my week just resting (you won't lose any actual fitness just a bit of mental prep) and turn up in as healthy a position as possible. Give it a go and if it flares up mid race then you can always abort then. The training is done. Go and do it.

PJF, your chip time is THE time. If you are looking for a fast and well organised race with high PB potential then Manchester is it (only downside is it finishes at Old Trafford). If you are after more of an occasion / experience then Paris has the vote.

BI, more cos I'm a greedy git rather than carbing up. The caffeine taper starts today image

Ankle feels better but not runnable yet.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

VTr - a dilemma for sure - hope you make the correct choice  . . .. 

not run Paris, but recommend Manchester for the same reasons as KR - and there should be no problem getting in . . . .

nice Sheff connection, Bike It image - and yes, Graves is a wonderful park to run in (although funnily enough it never feels like it whilst one is actually in action)

good sessions, KR, Gul -  not run yet here - other matters prevented this morn (and you're right, Gul - my legs feel tired today - more so than y'day) . . . .

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments all. Not much else to add! Will doubtless try again... image

KR - glad to hear you're recovering well and on track for Leicester.

VTR - rest and listen to the medical experts. Easier said than done though, I know! If the fizz says it's OK to race but you might need to abort if things get bad, then so be it. Hopefully it won't come to that.

SJ - you have great residual stamina/fitness, so as long as your injury allows you to run, I wouldn't bet against you having a good race.

Gul - good session that.

PJF - as far as a spring mara goes, I've not run either, but would imagine Manchester is more about going for a time, Paris more about the experience and atmosphere (much like London is). Not that Manchester isn't a lovely place you understand...

A 4.5 easy recovery run yesterday, and then sat on the bike for a while in the gym at lunch today to get the legs turning over and loosened off.