Sub 3h15

Comments

• Anyone else having their posts cut short?

OO, good luck today and congrats on being the king!

5M easy run yesterday and lots of carbs. Was up every hour last night to pee...am feeling more nervous than usual (am thinking it's cause I can't predict whether my tweaky core hold up). Or am just getting more neurotic as I age! So sick of fruit juice and pasta...I hate the carbo load. Will get most of my eating done early today so I can relax this evening. Youngest daughter complaining of belly pain today (we shared food all day yesterday as I had her home...hope there are no surprises replicating in me...).

• Fishy -good session and fashion appreciation image

Lorenzo- 5am is a bit keen for that distance 

Slokey-more exercise to fix injury only works for you !

VTR- chillax you are nearly there now image

Gul-take an easy day image postie had left the insoles so got them last night when I got home and straight out for a 2 mile walk ,have to get used to these before I can run ,its a bit like taking a nice comfy trainer and removing the insole and putting some lego in there and putting the insole back ! image 2 hours last night was enough and also what the leaflet said to do the first day ...

The right one has a 1/2 inch lift on the inside of the heel,almost nothing on outside with the left having about half the lift.That should be me well aligned now image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

VTR - nearly there...sounds like a bit of taper spookiness trying to get the better of you.

Great very early morning long run there Lorenzo. The T-Shirt is very bright - I'm looking forward to plenty of wise cracks during my winter runs.

Biking, stretching and pie-eating - its the future! Hope your ankle continues its optimistic improvement Slokey.

Leslie - sounds like everything will be facing in the right direction soon. 

4 miles recovery this morning, followed by my 20 minute PJ circuit; and a lovely autumn walk up Stock Ghyll and middle Grove with Mrs. F1 this afternoon.

• Leslie! You are ready to rock. And loved the lego-based description of your orthotics. 

Got my last big pasta meal down so now feeling much more relaxed. Heading out now for 3 hr car drive to race site…staying w/inlaws as they live 30 minutes from start.

Going to be 30 deg F at the start w/some wind. But no clouds. Might be tricky getting the layering just right.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best of luck tomorrow, VTr image

• Good luck tomorrow VTr! Smash it! image

Leslie, you'll soon get used to the orthotics. In a week you won't notice they are there.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Best wishes for the Mara VTR

Alarm set for 4am
  • VTR - have a great race!

Big miles Lorenzo

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    We are with u vtr
  • Lorenzo - impressed by the early long run!
    SJ - sounds very promising.
    VTr - all the best for today. Hope it's not too windy.
    Leslie - glad they've arrived - you're showing great restraint!
    Fishy - sounds like a great day all round.
    Rest day for me - first since 25th Sep.

• VTR- remember the new 3:15 mantra and go smash it image

GUL- thanks a good training block ,due a rest so why are you up at 5am image don't think I could run in these yet but soon I will ..image and I always read the instructions ,well mostly ,well actually hardly ever !image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

maybe too late, but good luck, VTr 

great LR there Lorenzo, at Gul o'clock, too  

enjoy the rest day, Gul -  my legs trashed also - (or were yesterday) - after odd week - XC last Sunday went really well, but legs clearly felt it after a long break from XC - 8 miles Mon very tired, rest Tues, 9 Wed very stiff & sore, Thur daughter on a flying visit requested my company on a 7 mile fartlek - my legs really didn't appreciate this - rest Fri, but y'day the coup de grace applied - 11 miles, but containing parkrun - not my usual, but one which, although in great setting (Graves Park, OO, BikeIt), is generally acknowledged to be around a minute slower - but didn't even manage that, posting a 23:03 (!) - my recent p'runs around low 21's . . . .so not my best day  . . .never mind, Birch double of sorts was achieved - I still managed 1st VoGit, and daughter first woman (albeit time fairly moderate also, for her)

next XC is a week today, so better get my act together . . . . .

• Hope all's gone well today, VTr. Look forward to the report.

Nice LSR, Lorenzo, and good work on the bike, SJ.

A belated happy birthday, BB!

A good day yesterday, posting a 19:33 at a pancake flat Edinburgh parkrun in the morning before heading off for the XC meeting in the afternoon.  Not so flat, but pleased with my 36:11 for 8.8km on the three lap course.  Really enjoyed it!

Day off today.  Beer was consumed while I lost money at poker last night, so not feeling overly clever image

• 10 miles in 66:04 gun to line so I'll claim that as 66 dead line to line and average pace of 6:35. WAVA just over 76% and a predicted marathon of low 3:0x so numbers all in the right area.

Nice little run out: didn't do any real taper and did a hardish midweek run so expected the legs to feel a but heavy in the second half and they did, but by then I was where I wanted to be time-wise and at 7 miles I knew 3 last miles at 6:40 would be needed and duly delivered. Last Sunday I did just under 9 miles at 6:46 pace so to go further and a step faster is encouraging.

A couple of weeks with trips to the US mean an ease off but I have 124 miles so far in October and 2 weeks to go and still want to hit my first 200 month for a while so it won't be too much easing off.

• Managed to get around w/out anything blowing up! image

3:09:37...a small PB...not the time I was hoping for but went with what I had today and had a great race (and a great experience!). More details to follow when I get home.

Now time to heal...finally.

PMJ...speedy rock starimage

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

VTr - PB - image   -   look forward to report !

• Good stuff VTR, a PB given the doubts over the last couple of weeks is something you should be proud of and you broke 3:10

PMJ, well done, you are setting the benchmark on what it will take to go sub 3 in Spring.... And I have some way to go.

Meadower - nice double on Saturday and speedy too.

Birch - churning out a victory even on an off day,sign of a real pro... And I hope to run alongside my daughters one day, but right now I'm just an embarrassment to them! 

2 updates here 1) no park run, my daughters friend called off so my daughter honoured her words NO WAY am I running with you. 2) 10 miles this morning 7:30mm and god the legs felt tardy. on the positive it was 30miles for the week. 

SJ & Jools - apologies, I thought you guys were racing this weekend, what a numpty!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Great result VTR. Your fitness shone through despite your core issues over the last month or so. A PB is a PB

17 miles here this morning. Terrible it was, although very nice to have new shoes.
  • Birch-tough week.

Meadower-nice racing.

PMJ-nice 10 miler.

VTR- You earned the cake, well done !image

PJF- good speedy 10.

BIke it-nice if terrible long run and always nice to get new runners.image

Just a few stretches and had a rest day.

• Leslie - I was preaching yesterday morning - so up early getting ready.
    Birch - busy week for you, so not surprising.
    Meadower - good weekend of running.
    PMJ - that's a fine result.
    VTr - PB - what a result! Look forward to the report.
    PJF - shame about parkrun. Nice pace on tired legs for the 10 miler.
    6.7 miles this morning, a bit quicker than Saturday, but still definitely in the slow region. Top of my left foot near the toes feels sore...
    Bike It - sorry, I somehow missed your post! Good to get 17 miles in. I meant to say, did you set your alarm early to avoid the heat?
    x-post
    Leslie - have you read the instructions yet?!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Will read back properly later, but just had to say a huge well done to VTR; under 3:10, a PB and, possibly most importantly, survived in one piece without the injury flaring up. Excellent work, well deserved, and now time to rest and recover!

• Gul I see , last minute preparation I hope you dropped in some running jargon to liven it up image Instructions ? well ...yes of course I will put it on my list ! image

Abbers-top of the morning !image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Some good running from many over the weekend, notably a very tidy 10 mile result from PMJ, Meadower doubling up on Saturday and BI completing 17 despite it feeling terrible!

Leslie, good to hear you're back on your feet. Ease back into it!

10 early doors on Saturday, and 6 easy at lunch today. Not much to see here...

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Normally I get up at 4am on Sunday Gul. Wanting to get the LSR done before the family is active was always the first reason. Now avoidance of heat is a big influence too.

Rest day here and the first night off work for a while too as I finish off the university semester's activities.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Well done VTr!! Top bombing!

The new job and routine has made it difficult for me to post on here, it's been a bit busy. Have managed to do some running in the new location, it's a bit hilly in places. Did 5 miles today, attacking inclines. averaged 6.53 pace which wasn't bad for me.

Did a 10 miler last Thursday night at 7.26 pace which I was happy with as it was a night run and I kept it steady. Feeling strong but just base building for now.

Will try to pop in more often.

GD

• OK, so finally had a chance to write down my thoughts from yesterday’s marathon. Going into this race I was a bundle of nerves more than usual, particularly 2 and 3 days out from the big day. But the final night I calmed down. Got decent sleep, had an uneventful wake up, breakfast, and arrival to race. Weather was 29 degrees F with a light wind and full sun at the start. A bit cold (in fact, coldest day of year by a bunch). But managed to wear enough and was shedding a layer at halfway. So into the pen and off we go. Felt pretty good from the outset, but had no idea of pace in first mile. Came out at 7:20 and thought oops a bit too slow. Next mile was 7:05 and that felt more like it. Tried to catch on with some other runners but ended up alone through the first 10 miles (into the wind) and said enough so caught up with some others ahead. But my pace had drifted a bit during the alone time. The course is a double loop and we turned for lap 2 just shy of the halfway point. Saw my kids and wife for big waves and hugs at 12.5 miles and then promptly managed to leave my new friends behind. At halfway, was 1:35 dead on. It seemed like moving to catch people got me into the race fully. From that point on I just had myself and runners ahead to try and reel in. After my second bout in the wind came onto return stretch of course (at 18 miles) feeling strong and passing lots of folks. By mile 21 my first and really only sign of trouble hit: my left calf felt on the edge of cramping, especially on downhill sections. I wanted to push pace harder but didn’t dare as I had a long way to go yet. More hugs from kids at mile 22.5 and still feeling good. Then we turn again into a brutal headwind for the rest of the way. But managed to pick up pace and ran last 3 miles in 7, 7, and 6:50 m/m. Calf never went off and made it to the finish w/a nice kick. 3:09:37 was the final chip time. Last year I did the same course in 3:09:56, so shaved a little time off (also, last year reached halfway at 1:36:56).

• My injured core (that I was so worried over) was felt very distantly by 3 miles in…by 10 miles it was talking in my ear, and by 18 it was front and center. But it never got so bad that it impacted my running and I don’t think I did any major damage judging by how it feels today. So very relieved to have gotten a good race in and hopeful it won’t take long to get this sorted out with some proper rest.

So I’m happy to have run a better time, but have to admit I’ve been a little disappointed I didn’t manage a bit faster pace. I thought I could do 7:05 miles (instead of the 7:15s I ended up with) based on my training this year vs last (and the improved 10K recently). After talking with several well trained runners at the finish I found out several others were off their pace a bit (and were scratching heads a bit). Not sure if the cold might have impacted things or not. Most likely just due to the fact that it all comes down to 1 day and there are just too many variables to account for.  But regardless, it was improvement and got me qualified for Boston 2017 just in case I like the experience this spring enough to go back. Was actually proudest of how strong I felt the whole way round this time and last. So my training approach has been working the past few years, but am wondering if I can change it up as I seem to be plateauing despite improved overall fitness. Over the next couple of months I’ll sound out some ideas and you guys can cheer or boo to help get a decent plan for the next go around. And I say all of this because my biggest goal on the horizon is still to get sub 3 sometime in the next few years. And if not sub3, then damn close to sub3!

Thanks again for putting up with all my anxiety and whining the past month or two. You guys are a great bunch and I was thinking of my anonymous UK running buddies often during the race! In fact, I got  a great boost just before turning in the night before when I saw all the well wishes.

• Bike It - yes, I can identify with that - time with family is precious. The heat is not so much a problem here!
    GD - that's a good tempo run.
    VTr - enjoyed the report. I think sub 3 should be attainable - remarkable to get a PB with the last few weeks being far from ideal. Congratulations again.
    10 miles here today with 5 tempo miles @ 6:56 m/m. Foot doesn't seem as sore today.