Sub 3h15

Comments

• Jools -some kip and you will be fine again image

Slokey-7000 squats you need a medal !image

Gul-take it easy.image

Judging by my knee pain today and soon after the run I sure ain't fixed !!!!image

but its only the first run in the insoles so I will need to give it 3 months minimum and see how it goes before deciding what to do ..as you were !

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Excellent news from Leslie! Now, easy does it... image

Jools, taper madness in full flow! Rest (as much as life will allow), carb load and you'll be ready to rock & roll at the weekend.

Slokey - 7000 squats? A ridiculous number. How many do you do per session/day?

Gul - sounds like an opportune time to have a couple of enforced rest days. Hopefully your foot will feel much better after the weekend.

• Leslie - Great news!

SJ - 7,000 squats?! image

Jools - I'm with Leslie & Gul on this, and a wee bit of rest never hurt anyone!

Thanks for the comments all; the icing's doing the trick and seems to have it under control.  Will go for a swim this evening and keep the ice up until Saturday.

• That's good news Meadower!

Fingers crossed for you Leslie.

I'm up to 160 a night (in front of the telly). I do them in a single session - sometimes continuous sometimes broken into 3 or 4 blocks with a 10second gap in between (squintervals!). I've been doing them for about 3 months or so but really stepped it up from the original 30-50 per day over the past 6 weeks.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Hope yours heals soon. Mine is on the sole on the left side of the middle and up to the back of my heel. I suspect it's a new shoe issue and possibly the combined effect of runinng the marathon in racing flats combined. I've never ever had an issue with my left foot before. I will try to go for an easy lunch run today. I'm hoping to do my 1st ever parkrun this w/end so it better be alright. image

• Are your calves tight GM? Could be a bit of plantar fasciitis coming on - (hope it isn't!)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - I've always got tightish calves no matter what I do,a recent trip to a sports massuesse pre marathon confirmed mine were terrible! I am totally in denial but you are most likely correct. I've had issues over the years with my right foot but never the left. Ran 2 miles at lunch and it wasn't great, so another 36 hours of rest and stretching/prodding and massaging and will see what it's like. Not long for you now. Will it be a family trip? I've heard it's a good one to do.

• Just the wife and the youngest SJspawn GM. We've got a rather nice hotel room with great views by the looks of it so I'll be living the high life image

Just ate a cereal bar! Let the carb loading commence!!

You take care with that foot. If PF gets a hold of you it can be months and months of misery. Maybe a return trip to the masseuse / fizz to iron out the post marathon kinks.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Sounds great. Yeah I've had this problem before, hopefully it won't persist but you're right, I could benefit from another trip to the masseuse.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the injuries and sniffles. Certainly getting cold and dark out there.

Good luck at the parkrun Gerard, hope you enjoy it as much as I do and you get the bug.

I finally got out for a run, the first this week. 10 miles at 8 m/m pace. I've travelled via London, Paris Geneva this week and will head back to UK tomorrow- so found it tough to squeeze in a run. It's going to be a another poor week.  

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jools - good luck for Sunday - hope you're fighting fit once more  . . . .

• Good luck to Birch, Jools and SJ. Run you backsides off! Can't wait to see how it goes.

SJ, you can stop doing squats now...just keep ingesting carbsimage

Leslie, hang in there. Sometimes the first runs are painful but doesn't mean you are set back. I'm staying optimistic!

No running here yet, but legs/body feeling marvelous today. Seriously wanting to run another 26.2 soon, but not sure I can swing it w/family. In the meantime, maybe I can find a 5K to see if any residual speed remains...

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good to see plenty of great training runs done by everyone. Also good racing by Birch, Mead, and PMJ

VTr - Well done on your sub 3:10 PB and a great report. It took me 9 marathons to run faster than that.

Jools - Taper madness rocks!

LesH - I hope you heal up well

SJ - That's some squatting! Enjoy the carbo loading and good luck

I ran the British and Irish XC trails last Saturday hoping to qualify for N.Ireland again. I completed the course in 30:27 last year which got me the 6th and last place on the team.  I knew it would be harder this year as the championship is in Dublin next month, so more people would enter due to not having to fly.

I had run a 2:55 marathon just 13 days before the race but was determined to give it everything. It was 8k (4 laps) in good conditions and I really liked that they made us all wear our age group numbers on our backs. I ran by feel only glancing at my watch on the last mile.

I worked hard throughout, overtaking a few 45’s in the last two laps and didn’t get overtaken by any. I was over the moon to finish in 28:30 averaging 5:52 pace blowing away my 8k XC PB which was just under 30 minutes.

I had finished 8th in my age group which I was happy with as it was a reserve place and I would get a NI vest. However later I was told that 3 very fast guys had emailed before the event and were accepted onto the team. image

This was annoying but got worse when I found out that 2 people ahead of me in the race weren't NI Masters registered. So I should have been straight onto the team in 6th place. So now I'm down in 9th due to the email qualifiers and not even a reserve. 8th place was only 9 seconds ahead of me and I must have been closing fast because I never saw him in the race. DOH! 

Oh well, I’ll just have to get faster for next year.

I’m looking forward to the Dublin Marathon on Monday were I’ll be hoping for my 4th sub 3 hour in 9 weeks. I’m tempted to run by feel again as it’s proving to be successful over shorter distances. However, this would be dangerous in a marathon as I might start too fast.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Good luck Frankfurters and other racers this w/end! I'm staying in Holby city for the w/end! image

OO - 5k is my favourite distance for sure and perhaps my best distance if I don't count two 6k races I've done the past year but unfortunately I've been carrying/nursing a foot niggle this past week and although it has settled down this evening I am erring on the side of caution as I was limping around the office this week after Monday night's run. It's a tiny shame as I was really looking forward to my 1st ever parkrun but I'm cool with it as I tend to be very sensible nowadays when it comes to flagging issues and I'm delighted parkrun is here, there will be loads of opportunities to participate in the future. Sounds like you are finding the work/travel/running balance difficult at the mo? Is it likely that things will calm down in the respect in the foreseeable future? How's the hand btw??

Badbark - Still holding very good form, can you appeal or can you be ar$ed. Bit annoying that. Do you think you could get a PB in my home town? I recall you said it's not a quick course but you seem to be in great shape! Just saying....image

VTr - I felt the same after my recent marathon but I believe it would be folly to rush back too soon. Would be cool though if you could cherry pick some shorter distances and smash some pb's just like you did your 10k recently! Are there lots of options there where you are??

• That's a tough break BB. Sounds like you were right on the cusp of selection. Good luck at Dublin!

Well, I've picked up my race number and had a mooch around the city. It looks flat.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - I am dying to see how you get on and best of luck for Sunday! I have no doubt you and your family (minus a few grown of kids) will thoroughly enjoy the whole experience.

• BB, awesome racing. You just keep getting better. Very annoying to think you've got something and then have it not come to be. But sounds like you had a terrific effort and result so nothing else you can control. Good luck on Monday! I marvel at your durability. This was my 5th marathon BTW. Still think I could have done near 3:05 and it's bugging me a bit. But tried to gauge effort by HR and feel together. Hard to say what pushing more would have led to (better time or a blow up??).

GM, you are right. Smart thing would be to simply retool for Boston. But do like the idea of some shorter races for a PB. My 5K PB is ~19:50, Which I think I can smash if I can find a race. Next weekend there is a 5K on the same course I did the 19:50. Maybe I can sneak off to it. Maybe resting that foot now is what is needed BTW. Protect what you've got.

SJ, flat is good. Carbs are good. You will be good.

6M today for my first run since the marathon. A little creaky in first few but everything was feeling pretty good for last half. My core is still tweaked though form the race. Not horrible, but not great. Was hoping it might be magically cured after 4 days rest. Oh well, this is the time of lower mileage and quality so should be able to get over this.

• Off for a day exploring (and sitting down)

Thanks for the best wishes folks. image

See you at the start line Jools. I'm number 8925 (I'll have a laurel and hardy t-shirt on at the start - don't judge me - free race shirt that is deemed disposable). Running in a black vest with green/ gold trim and no hair (more aero!)

Any news from Minni in the states?
  • Good luck to all the threadsters doing the big one this weekend. Seems to be busy with people off to Frankfurt, Dublin and Washington (excuse me if  I have missed you).

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good luck to the weekend racers, also to Badbark for Monday (commiserations re the XC selection)  . . . .

6 easy this morn - XC - race2 of the series tomorrow 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, BB.

Arrived safe and well yesterday and expo done & dusted en route to the hotel, so today is all about resting. Feet up as I type. Aiming for 2.45 - 2.48, with the possibility of a 2.45 train, although I'm likely to run my own race to feel.
  • As I said Jools, I'll see you at the start.......

Just been to the modern art museum. Quite entertaining!
  • Have an awesome race: Birch, Jools & SJ. Smash it!

had a busy week will catch up and contribute later.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck guys, full of confidence for you too Jools, hope it ogoes to plan.

Bad luck BB but not surprising with all that racing in your legs.

18:43 parkrun is about where I am at.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Good luck again to SJ and Jools and to any others who are racing.

VTr - I wouldn't be surprised if you knock off a minute or so from your 5k pb on the right course and with a bit of speed training under your belt.

Gul - Hope you're enjoying your time with the family and the foot is on the mend.

OO - I know you would want at least half a minute quicker than that but still a good time after a tough week of travelling etc. What's up next for you race wise?

Birch - Enjoy the XC tomorrow if there is such as thing ever as enjoying XC!image

I decided to have another rest day to let the foot niggle settle down and it's feeling much better. I was curious about the parkrun and ended up marshalling today and I can safely say it is most definitely not a pb course which I expect is the case for most of them. A few undulations and quite a few turns and up and down the trail path where I do a lot of running. So nice to see so many runners pushing themselves at their own limits and some bizarre and oblivious people out there too, letting their dogs off the leash into the path of oncoming runners. I get it's a public space but one woman who had a dog on the leash said to me, "that guy was an a$$hole for letting his dogs wander into the runners path" I responded by saying, "maybe he is pi$$ed off that all these people are taking over his sanctuary but yeah have a bit of courtesy". She was very annoyed at that guy!image 

I'm back running tomorrow and on pace duty for my friend who is trying to smash her half pb. Her training has been great and she is in fine form but tomorrow will be a real test. 1 mile w/up at the track and then 4.5 miles of the half course which is basically 1 mile flat and then 3.5 miles up some hills, we're aiming for HMP all the way, so some time to be gained in the 1st mile or so and then a proper honest workout up the hills. I love running this section of the course as it's really tough and I believe if you can get close to HMP there at 4.5 miles then you're in very good shape. I did a similar dress rehearsal with another friend who went onto get a good a decent pb in the Island Games earlier this year. A different class of runner altogether but she also found it tough and said it gave her massive confidence come race day. Let's hope tomorrow is the same. Have a good w/end all.

• Had a look back now - BB good luck on Monday, let's see how you go, you are a big game player so enjoy!

crazy week here, eldest daughter and her park run pal involved in a road accident. My daughter is okay but her friend got a bad one or got off lucky depending on how you look at life. Her leg was fully fractured in the lower shin, bone through the flesh etc. She's had surgery and is in recovery, no running for a long time. My daughter has been pretty upset. Anyway....

we both did park run today,she did well. it was my debut and o managed a 10th overall out of 380 and 2nd in my age group. 19.22 slower than I had hoped for but you can lose a lot of fitness in a month... Must try harder.

GM - there was some weirdness at my park run debut too most notably the guy pushing a pram and still getting 18:xx

• Badbark- I'm sure you will be much quicker next year image

VTR- bit of easy running and you will be fine.

Jools-amazing time you are aiming for good-luck with it.image

Slokey-go smash it !

Gerard- enjoy the pacing duties.

PJF- nice parkrun time .Sorry to hear about the accident,with it getting dark sooner the road are a dangerous place even without all the drivers running about with no lights on !  image

mainly eating cake here not sure what else to do these days image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PJF - That sounds horrific but as you say could have been much worse, glad your daughter is ok and her friend too. Pushing a pram around parkrun in 18 mins is just showing off! 19:22 seems like a pretty decent time to me as far as parkruning goes.What parkrun do you do?

• Badbark - that's a real bu88er but as you say there's always next year and don't forget that you've already got an NI vest in the drawer. Good luck in Dublin on Monday.

PJF - sounds nasty. Glad your daughter is OK.

Fingers (or should it be toes?) crossed with your foot tomorrow GM

Also, huge best wishes going over the Channel to Jools and SJ. Don't forget the thread motto - Kinavit!!!!

Another busy week this week for me involving trips to the cultural hotspots of Luton, Derby and Mansfield but I've managed to get runs in every day this week which, combined with this morning, takes me over 200 for October so far. I suspect I might have been a bit fatigued (or a little bit under the weather) because today's long run felt really hard after about 8 miles and it was a real struggle at times to keep going but ended up doing just over 22 miles.

Generally relaxing afternoon watching younger Lorenzito run in a county XC relay race and help his team to 3rd place with a fantastic first leg, followed by the rugby and a rather good Rogan Josh (from first principles rather than out of a jar or from the curry house!) image

• Well done on youf XC Badbark and a shame about the selection process for the vest. Good luck for monday. Good luck to SJ & Jools in Frankfurt. Enjoy and I hope you both do well.

Been in Holland for the last week for half term and managed to catch up on some much needed sleep. Only got out twice for a run during the week with a 10 miler on Sunday and a 10k on Tuesday.

Off to bed soon and the Leicester marathon tomorrow morning!