Sub 3h15

Comments

• Birch - That's a decent month. Been way too long since I've recorded anywhere near that sort of mileage.

Meadower  - Fantastic 10k! I like the sound of that course.

VTr - Your body will thank you and I'm sure there will be other opportunities to smash that 5k pb. I'd say sub 19 should be yours for the taking.

OO - 62 mins on a hilly course is some going, well done.

KR - Happy days re the new parkrun.

Lorenzo - Well done on the XC run. Bask in the family glory while it lasts.

PMJ - Haha, good to get the win over Mr.Macho and a decent time too.

Lit - Nice to hear from you and hope life in Fife is good, presuming you are still there?

8th consecutive day on the bench here. I resisted going for a run tonight, even though my feet have only been a tiny bit sore today, note plural now, not singular, damn thing has spread. I visit to the Queen of pain tomorrow and I can't wait. Hope to get out for a jaunt this week sometime. That's obviously an optimistic view on matters here. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hello all,  I'm back from my marathon with a difference.  The Marine Corps Marathon.  Here's my report copied from the other thread....

So the plan was to do this marathon off minimal training and at a pace I knew I'd recover from quickly as I then had 7 days of sightseeing to do in Washington-NewYork-Boston.

Because of this approach I really hadn't taken the training seriously enough, even for a non target marathon.  I had managed 5 x 20 miles of the past couple of months but little else, apart from some shorter races.  My weekly mileage has only been around 30 but with no structure.  This hasn't worried me as I've been enjoying the fun side of running, rather than obsessing about miles/paces.

If you're doing a target marathon you make sure you leave nothing to chance.  If you're doing one for fun you are far more laid back in the time running up to the big day, it seems.   

Set back number 1: I came down with a cold a week before M day.  This lingered on and turned into a cough.  First stop on arrival to America was the drug store for day and night drugs. 

Set back number 2:  Mr Minni also got the cold and took snoring levels to an all time high.  image

On the plane I had felt a vibration a couple of times through my handbag and assumed it was a spare phone I'd brought with me. I mustn't have turned it off and the battery was getting flat. 

Set back number 3:  It wasn't the phone it was my garmin!  I had fully charged it but either didn't turn it off or had knocked it on.  When I got it out my bag on marathon morning it was completely flat.  I hadn't brought the charger. Oops.

I stayed with my cousin in Washington and he warned that although the tube was opening early that didn't mean the trains would be running regularly.  I was up at 5am and ready to leave by six.  I had 4 stops to the Pentagon.   Yep he was right train didn't arrive for 20 minutes after I arrived at the station.  However, there was still plenty of time.  Lots of other runners were on the train and when we pulled into the Pentagon met hundred and hundreds of others.  Light drizzle turned a bit heavier and got quite wet waiting in the queue to get through security. 

Setback number 4:  It look more than an hour to get through security.  Runners were supposed to have done the bag drop and have arrived in the start area by 7:20am ready for some kind of opening ceremony, with the race starting at 7:55. I was still in the queue at 7:55!

I assumed they would delay the start.  Once I finally got through it was then a long walk to find the bag drop. [I'm not sure what the point of security was.   They checked all bags but then at the other side the area was open to the public - we had to cross roads with traffic etc!  Anyway, this is America and they do like look as if they are on top of security even if they're not]  Made my way to the start and could see the markers for predicted finishing times but not many runners until I was almost at the start line.  Then the penny dropped - the race had started some 20 minutes earlier!  I joined in with those on the start line and heard the announcer say, 'and these are the fun runners coming through. Most will take 6 hours or more but they don't care...'  I felt like shouting, 'I CARE!' But then I told myself that really it didn't matter.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

So, I had a cold, missed the start by 20 minutes and had no garmin.  This really had to be run to feel.  I had a wrist watch on so once I got to 5k I tried to use that to keep an eye on the 5k splits.   I had set Strava away on my phone but was paranoid about having no battery at the end. 

I dimmed the screen right down and when I checked it at halfway it was completely dead.  However, I realised later on in the day that I just couldn't see the screen outdoors!  So I do have splits to look back on.

Miles 1, 2, 3 (8:45, 9:04, 8:57) I wasn't hard to start slow as I was running with very slow runners!  The roads were also narrow in places so it was hard to get past in places but I just went with the flow and pushed on where I could but didn't worry about slowing when I had no other choice.  

Miles 4, 5, 6 (8:05 - very downhill, 8:52, 7:50 - again downhill)  These first few miles were beautiful out of the city.

Miles 7, 8, 9 (8:45, 8:26, 8:17) Starting to get back into the city now.  The crowds were excellent, not quite as big as London but definitely louder!  'Good Job', 'You Got This', 'Go Germany'.  Yes, my club vest is the colours of the German flag...

Miles 10, 11, 12 (8:30, 8:26, 8:17) I was feeling quite good at this stage.  The aim was to try to keep the effort minimal.  It was quite easy to do this because if I started to go too fast I started to cough.  I used that as my guide!  'You're doing this, Germany'

Miles 13, 14, 15 (8:28, 8:26, 8:18) I was pleased to be passed the halfway mark.  We were in the city now and I swear I saw the Washington Monument from every angle possible!  Every time I turned around it was there!  'Good Job'

Miles 16, 17, 18 (8:22, 8:23, 8:30) This stretched included the blue mile in which fallen servicemen are commemorated.  I have to say it was quite emotional, but maybe it was because the running was starting to hurt!  'oh there's a German..' image

Miles 19, 20, 21 (8:38, 8:53, 8:30) Ok this is starting to feel uncomfortable.  I tried to tell myself this was impossible as these last few miles are always my favourite marathon miles.  My legs were arguing. 

Miles 22, 23, 24 (8:51, 8:35, 8:43)  I was still passing people but I felt I had barely more than a shuffle left in me.  Oh, why hadn't I trained more?  I knew I'd get to the end but it wasn't going to be pleasant. I stopped at a the 24 miles drink station and took a minute to have a proper drink and give myself a talking to.

Miles 25, 26 and the rest (9:05, 9:04.... 10:08!)  Oh god this hurt.  I can honestly say I have never experienced this pain before.  It wasn't muscular it was bone.  My bones were disintegrating.  I looked down at one point and expected my legs to melting.  Get to mile 25, then to 26.  Thank god, not far to go now.  Then, shocker, there was a hill and it wasn't a small hill.  It was like going up a multistory carpark. Where was the finish... eventually got the the top and still couldn't see the finish.  I was practically crying and could have just stopped right there, but of course I didn't.  Over the line in 3:51.

Although at the time it felt like hell on earth afterwards I concluded that I had really enjoyed lots of things about it. I loved the course, the crowds and it was a great test to run without a garmin and totally run to feel.  It was the second slowest of my 13 marathons but I felt I learnt a lot from it.  Mainly not to wear my club vest when running abroad! 

The good news was my legs recovered very quickly, although my cold took a cold fo

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

The good news was my legs recovered very quickly, although my cold took a cold for the worse for a few days, and my hip didn't complain at all.

All in all very happy.  Now is the time to get back to proper training and make some targets.  Not sure if this will involve a spring marathon as yet. 

• Crikey Minni, that was some build up & race. A very credible time considering everything you went through.

• OO - good result in the 10 miler.
    PMJ - good mileage and a decent 5k all considered.
    KR - handy having a parkrun close by!
    Literatin - good to hear from you.
    GM - good optimism! Hope it's rewarded.
    Minni - !!!! Loved the report. Well done on even surviving that one! Quite a memorable experience I would imagine. Glad your legs/hip ok.
    11 miles this morning. First half @ 8:07 m/m, and second @ 7:33 m/m.

• Great report Minni and not a bad run. I do think that the flights and time difference take a lot more out of you than you think. The only decent run I have done in the US was when I was out for 2 weeks so really got over getting there before the race.

• VTR - good idea to ditch, conditions sounded brutal
    Lorenzo - nice XC run.  It's the little triumphs...!
    OO52 - cracking 10-miler on a challenging course
    PMJ - great mileage there.  And a handy 5k, considering! (Oops, I didn't copy Gul, honest.)
    Love a parkrun, KR.  Exciting!  And convenient, too.
    literatin - the cake sounds just fine...and it was rather a nice medal!
    Minni - MCM sounds like quite the run.  The blue mile sounds rough, I don't think I'd fare well.  The German comments are funny, maybe wear it IN Germany?!
    Gul - still can't get my head around running at that time of the morning, and 11 miles?!  Cracking.

I liked all that patting on the back, thanks all.  Need to run fast more often... Will be back at the club training session tonight after a couple of weeks away, with a 4k run either way to tot up the distance.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Epic stuff, Minni - great report !    

• GerardM wrote (see)

Lit - Nice to hear from you and hope life in Fife is good, presuming you are still there?

Hi GM, yes, still in Fife, aka Land of Eternal Darkness, though good for running and very pretty if the sun does come out. I always think pain in both feet more encouraging than just one, as it's probably something fixable with stretching/strengthening/massage, rather than, say, a stress fracture. And blimey, that's some epic racing by Minni, though I would agree with the international travel being more knackering than you think.

• Great stuff Minni despite a dodgy build up. Would you do a race like that again (relaxed build up and destination race for the experience)? Or did the "I could do this quicker if I'd done more training" niggle get under your skin?

Congrats on regaining the house champ title Lorenzo

Glad to hear things are easing off GM

Recovery has gone well here, muscle pains and complaining hip have all settled down but the (previously injured) shin is still quite sore although the ankle is feeling fine. Another few days off then slow build for winter base. Getting twitchy.
  • Minni - sounds like you are ready to start back proper and nail a 3:15 image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Minni, my little German friend, that is the best report I have read in ages. Felt like I Was there with u mile by mile. Catalogue of disasters pre race then a fantastic effort up to the last few miles.

I am n Paris. 2 days rest but I promised to take a Japanese colleague out 4 a run at 6am round the Versailles gardens. Better get some sleep...
  • Minni - Enjoyed your report, you haven't lost your touch for penning a report that enables us all to run in your shoes, mile by mile. Keep it going.

Lit - Glad all is well up there and you're enjoying life in Fife and running, albeit in the eternal darkness. Yes, I think you're spot on re strengthening and other methods. Can't really complain though as I've never had a serious injury and I do tend to err on the side of caution when I feel something is not quite right.

OO - Ask you're colleague what if he knows of Yuki Kawauchi AKA The citizen runner. Enjoy your run. Gul will most likely be finished by the time you have warmed up!image

SJ - Glad things are feeling better. Doesn't take long for twitchiness to kick in.

1 and a 1/2 hour visit to the queen of pain tonight. It was excruciating, but a much needed session. Hopefully that should have ironed out some issues. Will have another day off and all things being equal I may try go for a jog on Thursday.

• Meadower - enjoy the club session.
    SJ - hope the shin is recovering now.
    OO - enjoy your early morning run in Paris. (And yes, I finished mine at 5:47 today!)
    GM - hope you have lots of gain for all your pain.
    5 recovery miles d&d.

• I was drinking a cup of tea whilst Gul posted and I headed off for my own steady 5 miler half an hour later...

Minni: absolutely loved that report! I hadn't really clocked that your vest was in German colours before but now you come to mention it...  Considering doing an autumn marathon Stateside for fun next autumn (I think I'll be ready for a break from racing marathons by then!) and your report has made me more certain.  Currently torn between Chicago and NY!

• Obviously an easy 5 day today, 5 miles from Hammersmith down the north bank of the Thames to Putney, over Putney bridge and back up the south bank, over Hammersmith Bridge and back to the office. 7:47 average.

• Yesterday was obviously the day for 5 milers - how about 9s today?
    9 miles d&d - a P&D General Aerobic run, which I guess means anything slower than marathon pace, so a nice'n'easy 8:12 m/m for me.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

did my 5 today - mile to park, 3 x 1 mile reps, mile home

• Gul, I guess that was 5:47 in the morning and not your last mile split being 5:47image

A hilly 6 miler last night as my son did football training.

• GM - How are you feeling now?  Any signs of progress?

Club sessions: 9.5 miles Tuesday including 2.5 each way from the meeting point.  Some fartlek efforts and short hill repeats at Edinburgh Zoo.  11 miles tonight made up of yet my fartleks and a gradual wind up of the pace on the way back to camp.  

Average paces at 8 & 7:40 m/m respectively.

Next'll be two 5k's on Saturday; a parkrun and race in Falkirk at night.  No idea about Sunday yet.  

• A couple of easy effort runs this week (6 and 7 M). Still feeling pretty sapped. Core much, much better but not perfect yet. Working on it.

• Birch - lots of quality packed in those 5 miles.
    KR - good use of time. Yes, I finished at 5:47am not with a 5:47 mile!
    Meadower - some good sessions. Rest today before the two 5ks?
    VTr - easy does it.
    Sneaked in my longest run since July at exceedingly silly o'clock this morning. 15 miles with the first half @ 8:14 m/m and the second @ 7:44 m/m. Should be an easy weekend.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Like may other, loved Minni's report!

Good consistent work from Gul, KR, Birch, PMJ, Meadower and probably others I've missed.

Excellent news on the core improvements VTR.

Doing a bit here, some slower, some faster, getting wet during most of it! Had enough of the rain on Tuesday, so swapped the intervals in trainers for intervals on the turbo instead. Something longer over the weekend, although probably early Sunday rather than Saturday as the forecast looks shocking for tomorrow morning.

• Looks like you are getting some good sessions in Meadower. Are you taking it easy in the morning parkrun ready for the evening race. I've never done a race in the dark - I think that would be quite interesting.

Looking at your post time Gul that must have been a 4..30 am start? Hats off to you for getting out the door that early for that.

A good mixture of training there Abbers. Don't mind running in the rain, it's more the very cold & rain I don;t like especially cold wet hands!

Planned a 10 miler last night on a new route but took a wrong turn and got lost. Not sure how, but think it was roadworks at a round about and I took the wrong turn. I kept expecting to get to another roundabout, but was in fact heading out of the city. Had to ask a puzzled dog walker the way back to the city centre. Run ended up as 14 miles, but got a decent av pace of 7.29. I guess I was keen to get home (and hungry too!).

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great report from Minni. Think we've all had leg pain like that during a mara. The report brought those memories flooding back. thanks for that! image

Work and DIY are getting in the way of me regularly posting here but at least I'm still running.
    A new feature of the next campaign is weekly midweek 10 milers so I've been doing them as part of my base building. Did one on Wednesday night and was comfortably running 7.30 pace. I was surprised at how easy it felt which shows that the base work is paying off in its own way. Have also found a decent hill for hill reps near my new job, tat seems to be working too.

I don't do as many miles as most of you, so the 100 I got for October is good for me and I plan another century for November.

In other news, my mate trying to get me to enter the Race to the King next June. It's a 52 mile ultra. Never really interested me but may just do an easy run/walk approach to get the ultra thing ticked off.

15 wet miles planned for tomorrow.
    Have a good weekend all.

GD

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the kind words following my marathon. I'd forgotten how much image there is on this thread. image

SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    Great stuff Minni despite a dodgy build up. Would you do a race like that again (relaxed build up and destination race for the experience)? Or did the "I could do this quicker if I'd done more training" niggle get under your skin?

SJ - I actually loved racing like that to the point its made me want to ditch my garmin for racing.  But... am I really that brave?!  The 'could've gone quicker' niggle isn't there.  I achieved exactly what I wanted from the day. image

Jools - I know a few that have done Chicago and really enjoyed it.  It was very hot this year.  NYC would be awesome expecially finishing in Central Park.  They were setting up when we were there.  But why not think of the MCM?  I'd definitely do it again.  The course is fab and crowds amazing.  I think the field was around 30,000.  You'd actually do very well there, even run as an easy marathon.  Also got a top quality Brooks long sleeve thermal as race t-shirt! 

I'm not sure what my plans are for next year.  I'm tempted to ditch a spring campaign in a bid to try and get back what little speed I once had.

The next few weeks involve the Brampton to Carlisle next weekend (OO, SJ are you there?), then a couple of weeks of XC followed by a 5 mile. image

• Abbers - you're right about the weather - got a bit wet this morning!
    KR - getting lost is one way to extend your run! Living in a small town, I don't usually get that problem. Yesterday's run started at 4:12am.
    GD - sounds like your training's coming along nicely. Enjoy your 15 miler.
    Minni - nice list of races lined up!
    5 mile recovery run d&d and week 1 completed.

• Hi Minni, I've wanted to do Brampton to Carlisle for the past 5 years Minni but I've been injured EVERY SINGLE YEAR! image

I think it'll be another week or 2 before I'm running again...
  • Another manic week so just about managed to stay abreast of all the posts without having time to write anything myself. image

So, a belated congrats to Minni - sounds like you had a sehr gut time and great to hear that your mojo is well and truly back. Wonderful report - was with you all the way!

GM - how's the injury responding to all the twisting and turning?

Gul - a 4.12am start?! Jeepers.

Fortunately, despite all the travelling I've managed to squeeze in a few runs this week including a 9 mile run out from Inverness to the Culloden battlefield and back, and an 8 mile run up the coast from Wick.

Sneaked another 20 miler in this morning - 90% of it off road, very wet and muddy in places and pretty hilly to boot. Thoroughly enjoyable and takes me just over the 50 mile mark for the week with a fortnight to go until I toe the start line. 

Anyone racing tomorrow?